First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Living in Trade

Jonesborough, TN

#1 Feb 21, 2013
Guess what folks? Radford Quarries of Boone, NC is going to build an asphalt plant in Trade.

Well, I guess they'll knock down that hill because it's in the way. I don't think most of the folks here in Trade realize what this will mean for our community. Dirty air, dirty water, smells, lower property values. And that just the beginning. Forget being healthy. If this plant is built, you'll see a huge upswing in toxin related illness and deaths. Let's build it in little old Trade, TN. Nobody cares about such a small, insignificant community anyway. Right?

Question for Johnson County folks. Was there a public hearing about the permit for Radford Quarries to build an asphalt plant in Trade? If so, how come nobody I know heard anything about it?

“Most people are "C" students”

Since: Sep 07

Right here

#2 Feb 21, 2013
Living in Trade wrote:
Question for Johnson County folks. Was there a public hearing about the permit for Radford Quarries to build an asphalt plant in Trade? If so, how come nobody I know heard anything about it?
How dumb do you have to be to think you're going to get helpful AND accurate answers from this collection of nitwits and illiterates?
Hey Crazy IKHW

Johnson City, TN

#3 Feb 21, 2013
I know him well wrote:
<quoted text>
How dumb do you have to be to think you're going to get helpful AND accurate answers from this collection of nitwits and illiterates?
Uh, you included, I assume? LAUGHING at you HAHA HAHA HAHA! You seem to be the last one to know, just how crazy you're acting? LAUGHING again, HAHA HAHA HAHA!
Backbone

Jonesborough, TN

#4 Feb 22, 2013
Living in Trade wrote:
Guess what folks? Radford Quarries of Boone, NC is going to build an asphalt plant in Trade.
Well, I guess they'll knock down that hill because it's in the way. I don't think most of the folks here in Trade realize what this will mean for our community. Dirty air, dirty water, smells, lower property values. And that just the beginning. Forget being healthy. If this plant is built, you'll see a huge upswing in toxin related illness and deaths. Let's build it in little old Trade, TN. Nobody cares about such a small, insignificant community anyway. Right?
Good question. We will ask our commissioners and County Mayor, won't we?
Remember that Maymead tried to put an asphalt plant in north part of Watauga or Ashe County, which was it? It was close to or by the NEW RIVER! Those NC people jumped on that polluting plan like ducks on June bugs because they stand up for what they have the best they can.
Does Maymead own stock in Radford?
have friends in Trade

Elizabethton, TN

#5 Feb 22, 2013
I was told by a former county mayor Radford attempted to construct a plant on the location now in question but EPA denied a permit due to the property being unsuitable or maybe protected. Why don't someone call the District TDEC office in Johnson City and find out the status of this.
Living in Trade

Kingsport, TN

#6 Feb 22, 2013
According to my source, he contacted TDEC and the permit has been approved. So why isn't EPA on this? AND most of all why wasn't there a public hearing as proscribed by TN law? I wondered about Maymead too.
have friends in Trade

Elizabethton, TN

#7 Feb 22, 2013
I have serious doubts Maymead and Radford would be in cohoots on this project..Have no love for Maymead but if my geography serves me correctly...Maymead has an asphalt plant less than 5 miles from the site in question. I hope you folks up there get this stopped..If this in indeed true.
We Have Rights

Johnson City, TN

#8 Feb 22, 2013
Living in Trade wrote:
According to my source, he contacted TDEC and the permit has been approved. So why isn't EPA on this? AND most of all why wasn't there a public hearing as proscribed by TN law? I wondered about Maymead too.
FIGHT THIS, PEOPLE!
TradeResident

Marion, VA

#9 Feb 23, 2013
so how many asphalt plants does this county need? Has there been a public hearing on this? If the permit was originally denied and now approved, what's changed to allow it? Thinking about the two churches near by and the Trade VFD next door and how it's going to affect their serving food/ fund raisers, not to mention the increased traffic and wear and tear on the highway there. Further, there's the Creek across the road that runs on down to the Lake. Who needs to be approached for some answers?
TradeResident

Marion, VA

#10 Feb 24, 2013
have friends in Trade wrote:
I have serious doubts Maymead and Radford would be in cohoots on this project..Have no love for Maymead but if my geography serves me correctly...Maymead has an asphalt plant less than 5 miles from the site in question. I hope you folks up there get this stopped..If this in indeed true.
yeah, unless there's some deal to buy their gravel from Maymead
county rdp

Banner Elk, NC

#11 Feb 24, 2013
we could use the jobs,thats why we cant get no work in the county.
Jobs

Lenoir, NC

#12 Feb 24, 2013
We need thr jobs so shut up and tolerate it.
have friends in Trade

Elizabethton, TN

#13 Feb 25, 2013
how many hispanics does it take to run an asphalt plant?
Local

Jonesborough, TN

#14 Feb 25, 2013
The high elevation above Roan Creek/Roan Valley area, the ground water, the stream---we will come to regret this one.
Local

Jonesborough, TN

#15 Feb 25, 2013
Jobs wrote:
We need thr jobs so shut up and tolerate it.
Hold still, hunh?(laughing at you)
county rdp

Banner Elk, NC

#16 Feb 26, 2013
they have one on doe creek,so itmust not hurt the water,hug a fish and let the folks go hunger,alwasy been that way in the county erver body wants jobs get some jobs and everbody trys to stop it,ill never under stand u pepole.........
Tennessee

United States

#17 Feb 26, 2013
The asphalt plant that Maymead has at the quarry hasn't released toxins into the water and air that have made people sick.
Concerning Radford Quarries bringing jobs to the county, it's very likely that Radford Quarries would have employees they already have trained within the company to run the asphalt plant if they built one instead of training people that have no knowledge of that type of work.
TradeResident

Marion, VA

#18 Feb 26, 2013
county rdp wrote:
they have one on doe creek,so itmust not hurt the water,hug a fish and let the folks go hunger,alwasy been that way in the county erver body wants jobs get some jobs and everbody trys to stop it,ill never under stand u pepole.........
the one on doe creek has been shut down due to environmental pollution reasons - that's plant's going to be moved to Trade to pollute there. no more jobs will be created - these people have been now thrown off 4 sites for pollution

“The cowards lied”

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#19 Feb 26, 2013
TradeResident wrote:
<quoted text>
the one on doe creek has been shut down due to environmental pollution reasons - that's plant's going to be moved to Trade to pollute there. no more jobs will be created - these people have been now thrown off 4 sites for pollution
Are you refering to the Maymead asphalt plant at the quarry?
Huh

Jonesborough, TN

#20 Feb 26, 2013
Did we think for a minute that the asphalt plans in Trade area were not connected in some way to Maymead business?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mountain City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Celeste Dunn from H and R Block 37 min Hmmm 4
Girl at super chicken across from rite aid 2 hr Popa Chubby 12
More police 2 hr Average Joe 12
Mark Combs 5 hr Lol 1
they got rid of lazy mark at high country and n... (Oct '11) 11 hr Tiger 14
Who's the best fighter in MountainCity (Apr '08) Sun Chris Wilson 6
mountain city sherrif investigated on drugs and... Sun cozyrosie 27

Mountain City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance