Slightly In Favor

Strongly In Favor

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Polltaker

Johnson City, TN

#1 Nov 20, 2008
This issue is scheduled to be looked at by the City Council. A local group is pushing to have beer sales in the city limits. How do you feel and why?

“Still love those Wraith.”

Since: Oct 08

Lost in Space

#2 Nov 20, 2008
I personally don't have a problem with beer sales in the city limits or on Sunday, for that matter. People are going to buy their beer regardless of where it's sold. Why not have the business, and taxes derived from, in the city as well.
JUMP

Cornelius, NC

#3 Nov 20, 2008
Here is a good slogan: BEER! AT LEAST IT'S NOT METH! So party naked and get drunk as hell
MtnMystic

United States

#4 Nov 20, 2008
From an economic point of view, it better way to bring additional tax revenue to the County and the city without raising current property, vehicle or sales taxes.
County Resident

Greeneville, TN

#5 Nov 20, 2008
Why Let tax money go out of Mountain City and Johnson County.This may even bring more bussiness into Mountain City.All that say it will bring more problems are wrong if people want it they will just drive the 1/2 mile that it is now to get it out of town wake up people this is the 21st centry Mountain City needs to grow or the land taxes will have to be so high people will not be able to pay their tax bills.Taxes on sales hits everyone that buys the product and if you are so against it then you don't have to buy it.
HEY hey

Johnson City, TN

#6 Nov 20, 2008
Wraith Lover wrote:
I personally don't have a problem with beer sales in the city limits or on Sunday, for that matter. People are going to buy their beer regardless of where it's sold. Why not have the business, and taxes derived from, in the city as well.
I agree 100%. You can go toward Trade and a mile outside the city limits buy it. You can go towards Shady Valley and a mile outside the city limits buy it. You can go towards Laurel and 4 miles from the city limits buy it. This would attract better places to eat if the city approves it.
JUMP

Cornelius, NC

#7 Nov 20, 2008
And then get the damn Wal-mart built so when you get done partying naked you can revenue the county more when you buy pants.(that is of corse if the pants are made in the USA!if not just stay naked).

“Most people are "C" students”

Since: Sep 07

Right here

#8 Nov 20, 2008
Polltaker wrote:
This issue is scheduled to be looked at by the City Council. A local group is pushing to have beer sales in the city limits. How do you feel and why?

Get the friggin' government and the friggin' churches OUT of the issue. If store owners or restaurant owners want to sell beer (and/or wine, and/or booze), LET 'EM!!!! If store patrons or restaurant patrons want to buy beer/wine/booze, LET 'EM!!! If bible thumpers and Jesus peddlers want to boycott stores and restaurants that sell beer/wine/booze, LET 'EM!! If stores and restaurants that sell beer/wine/booze start to lose money because their business falls off and they want to stop selling beer/wine/booze, LET 'EM!!

Until the city, county and state governments have removed their infringements on selling and consuming alcohol, any attempts they make to raise tax rates or institute new taxes should result in their IMMEDIATE removal from office.

As for people who break LEGITIMATE laws (assault, DUI, defaulting on debts or contracts,...) because they were drunk, WHO CARES where they bought the alcohol? Throw the same book at 'em that they'd get if they had been sober.

And, if they're repeat offenders, lock 'em up and throw away the key. If we run out of jail space, send 'em to Turkey, tell the Turks they were smuggling drugs, and tell the Turks they have our permission to do whatever they think necessary to "accommodate" them. Send the Turks a check (discounted for cost differences) to cover the cost of taking our prisoners.
Woa

Johnson City, TN

#9 Nov 20, 2008
Jesus turned water into wine, but he hasn't been banned from the city limits.

“Not Worth Arguing About”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#10 Nov 20, 2008
Why should it legal to sell/buy beer at certain licensed places in the county but not within the city?(Is the Redtail Restaurant within city limits? But the serving of liquor there was by a special "backdoor" permit, bypassing the wishes of the citizens of the city/county, right?)
AGREE

Johnson City, TN

#11 Nov 20, 2008
elle1 wrote:
Why should it legal to sell/buy beer at certain licensed places in the county but not within the city?(Is the Redtail Restaurant within city limits? But the serving of liquor there was by a special "backdoor" permit, bypassing the wishes of the citizens of the city/county, right?)
Redtail is in the county
Truth

Johnson City, TN

#12 Nov 20, 2008
Why not sell it in city limits? I mean Big Loui's and the 421 beer store are both just right outside of it so why I don't see why there would be a fuss about it being sold in city limits. I hate having to drive to Damascus on Sunday to grab a 6 pack also. Just gives somewhere out of county business.
JUMP

Cornelius, NC

#13 Nov 20, 2008
Put beer in the city limits and then mayby a reputable steakhouse will follow. I hate to break it to ya people but you will never see another good steakhouse like Kellers in mtn city w/out it. Red Tail will probably cost to much to eat there often,Subas is just to small & your other option is to go to Angelos where he is cooking out of a kitchen that resembles the transfer station floor & if you are lucky you get to watch him, his staff & family chain smoke while your glass of tea sits empty on the table! AND DONT WORRY ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE ARE GOING TO SAY TO YOU @ CHURCH ON SUNDAY WHEN THEY SEE YOU SAT NITE W/ A T-BONE & A BEER, DRINKING IS NOT!! A SIN AND THEY ARE NOT YOUR JUDGE!
yoggie

Johnson City, TN

#14 Nov 20, 2008
like every body has basically said . there is no difference in buying it in the city or in the county . go either way out of the city and there is at least one beer store rite there . big louis is 500 ft outside of city limits . there is no difference . everyone says johnson county is dry and dont want beer . wat about big louis , thirsty dog , pit stop , limbos , last chance , hilltop . i guess they think they sell bottled water . most of the ones complainin drink them selves just go out of johnson county that way there image looks good . who cares i want cheaper beer , more places to buy , and heck give the city some tax money
JUMP

Cornelius, NC

#15 Nov 20, 2008
Yeah just like Tommy Walsh he voted every time against it when he was still in town and that man is the biggest drunk I had ever met!!
yoggie wrote:
like every body has basically said . there is no difference in buying it in the city or in the county . go either way out of the city and there is at least one beer store rite there . big louis is 500 ft outside of city limits . there is no difference . everyone says johnson county is dry and dont want beer . wat about big louis , thirsty dog , pit stop , limbos , last chance , hilltop . i guess they think they sell bottled water . most of the ones complainin drink them selves just go out of johnson county that way there image looks good . who cares i want cheaper beer , more places to buy , and heck give the city some tax money
Highpockets

Johnson City, TN

#16 Nov 22, 2008
JUMP wrote:
Yeah just like Tommy Walsh he voted every time against it when he was still in town and that man is the biggest drunk I had ever met!!
<quoted text>
When did he vote against it? He has never served on a legislative body that considered it. I don't think it has ever been considered by the "town" since the ordinance aginst was passed against it many years ago. And even though he might have opposed the local sale for some reason (which you have not proven), that did not mean that he did not use it.
Wintroubles Stupid

United States

#17 Nov 23, 2008
Shut up Wintroub. you're such an idiot. Go back in the closet with your dog and do what you two do.
I know him well wrote:
<quoted text>
Get the friggin' government and the friggin' churches OUT of the issue. If store owners or restaurant owners want to sell beer (and/or wine, and/or booze), LET 'EM!!!! If store patrons or restaurant patrons want to buy beer/wine/booze, LET 'EM!!! If bible thumpers and Jesus peddlers want to boycott stores and restaurants that sell beer/wine/booze, LET 'EM!! If stores and restaurants that sell beer/wine/booze start to lose money because their business falls off and they want to stop selling beer/wine/booze, LET 'EM!!
Until the city, county and state governments have removed their infringements on selling and consuming alcohol, any attempts they make to raise tax rates or institute new taxes should result in their IMMEDIATE removal from office.
As for people who break LEGITIMATE laws (assault, DUI, defaulting on debts or contracts,...) because they were drunk, WHO CARES where they bought the alcohol? Throw the same book at 'em that they'd get if they had been sober.
And, if they're repeat offenders, lock 'em up and throw away the key. If we run out of jail space, send 'em to Turkey, tell the Turks they were smuggling drugs, and tell the Turks they have our permission to do whatever they think necessary to "accommodate" them. Send the Turks a check (discounted for cost differences) to cover the cost of taking our prisoners.
Martia100

Austin, TX

#18 Nov 23, 2008
Mtn City will finally progress...bigger city, more booze, more Walmart stuff.
More jobs and money for all. Better watch out !!!!!!!!!!
Santa Clause must be comin' to town !!!!!!

“Most people are "C" students”

Since: Sep 07

Right here

#20 Nov 23, 2008
Wintroubles Stupid wrote:
Shut up Wintroub. you're such an idiot. Go back in the closet with your dog and do what you two do.

Hmmm. You quote me, then address your response to "Wintroub" rather than to "I know him well", "Ikhw", or even to "IKHW". Apparently we have a new numskull that I have to explain this to, as I have so patiently and repeatedly explained to the numskulls who've preceded you:

If you have a beef with Wintroub, you'll have to take it up with Wintroub. I am not your gofer.

Just as those other numskulls do not know who I am, YOU do not know who I am.

Just as those other numskulls HAVE NO WAY of knowing who I am, YOU have no way of knowing who I am.

Moving on...

Even though you don't know who I am, I welcome you to the Topix.net mob whose reptilian brains cannot process a new thought any farther than lashing out at whoever presented the thought. You'll fit right in.
Evan Elpas

Johnson City, TN

#22 Nov 23, 2008
Martia 100 Blows wrote:
<quoted text>Shut up you stupid ignorant blow hard. You sound like you're retarded, are you retarded or a special needs person becuase if you're not you sure as hell sound like it.
The standards on Mountain City Topix are watched over by ... you?
Were you angered by the link to that silly turkey piece about Sarah Palin? I thought it was rather funny. It was no worse than a lot of the stuff on Onion and YouTube and even Fox News.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mountain City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
mother going church to get xxck 1 hr hollyman 7
Who is the sexiest guy in JC (Oct '08) 11 hr Georgia boy 483
April Piper 13 hr ciara cardwell 5
Trump 15 hr disgusted 12
Poll Should Town of Mtn City allow Beer & Wine to be... (Oct '13) 16 hr Running with scis... 51
wormy chestnut wood or barn for sale (Nov '08) Fri Jill 119
Chris dunn Fri Mountain cities f... 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mountain City Mortgages