The only legal hanging in Johnnson Co...

The only legal hanging in Johnnson County

There are 15 comments on the Tomahawk Online story from Jun 23, 2010, titled The only legal hanging in Johnnson County. In it, Tomahawk Online reports that:

As dawn broke on November 7, 1905 in Mountain City, a chill may well have been in the air - not just from the late autumn weather, but because of what had been scheduled to take place later in the day.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Tomahawk Online.

Quixotic

Bristol, TN

#1 Jun 25, 2010
Do you happen to have lyrics or even digital copy of the Ballad.
I work with teens in Mt. City and often use lyrics and poems. My kids could write some Ballads them selves.
fan

United States

#2 Jun 25, 2010
Quixotic wrote:
I work with teens in Mt. City and often use lyrics and poems. My kids could write some Ballads them selves.
The great crowd now has gathered
Around this jail today.
To see my execution
And to hear what I’ve to say.
Now I must hang this morning
For the murder of Lillie Shaw,
Who I so cruelly murdered
And her body shamefiely burned.
Then I knelt down to Jesus,
In penetrated grief,
And begged that he might save me
As he did the dying thief.
Then my soul could hear a whisper
Said in most gentle tone,
“My grave is one sufficient
To hold this violent one.”
The cries of poor Lillie
Again I could almost hear,
As she begged me not to kill her,
Her life alone to spare.
The fire where I burned her
Again was in my sight,
The only fire consuming
In the fire that form so bright.
Now I must hang this morning,
The time is drawing near,
But I have a hope in heaven
And death I do not fear.
And there’s my Dear old Parents,
Who now for me will maurn,
Likewise my wife and baby
Who will be left alone.
God care for my baby.
Who will be left alone;
I pray the lord will keep him
From all danger, harm, and sin.
The hour has now arrived,
I can no longer stay.
I hope that I will meet you
In Heaven some sweet day.
grandpa23

Johnson City, TN

#3 Jun 25, 2010
Quixotic wrote:
Ah belive that hangin was on a wedsday, and that is why everythin shuts down on wedsdays!
WHATEVER

Jonesborough, TN

#4 Jun 26, 2010
Where was Tom Dula hanged.Wasn't he from Laurel?
Addlepated1

Bluff City, TN

#5 Jun 26, 2010
WHATEVER wrote:
Where was Tom Dula hanged.Wasn't he from Laurel?
He was from N.C., but he ran and was captured by Sheriff Grayson over here in TN down in Pandora along the creek. He was bathing blistered feet.
Addlepated1

Abingdon, VA

#6 Jun 26, 2010
grandpa23 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah belive that hangin was on a wedsday, and that is why everythin shuts down on wedsdays!
Things are closed on Wednesday because that was slave tradin day. To celebrate slavery in MC some businesses still cose on Wednesday. Probably wishing they had a few Negros of there own.
WHATEVER

Jonesborough, TN

#7 Jun 26, 2010
Addlepated1 wrote:
<quoted text>
He was from N.C., but he ran and was captured by Sheriff Grayson over here in TN down in Pandora along the creek. He was bathing blistered feet.
Wow,he came close to where I live.But where was he hanged??
O-x-O

Johnson City, TN

#8 Jun 26, 2010
WHATEVER wrote:
<quoted text>Wow,he came close to where I live.But where was he hanged??
Statesville
CONCERNED

Johnson City, TN

#9 Jul 2, 2010
Addlepated1 wrote:
<quoted text>
wasnt his name DOOLEY ? I thought he was from Laurel .Thats how DOOLEY`S ridge got its name right? thats what I have allways heard, and Ive been around here for 40yrs! some one say if i m wrong.
WHATEVER

Jonesborough, TN

#10 Jul 8, 2010
I heard that it was Dula but became "Dooley" to go better in a song.Hang down your head tom, Do ley..
Sawyer

Bristol, TN

#11 Jul 21, 2010
WHATEVER wrote:
I heard that it was Dula but became "Dooley" to go better in a song.Hang down your head tom, Do ley..
Wow! My dad used to whistle that song all the time when I was little. That was also the first song chords on guitar that he taught me when I was like ten! Never knew the song was about a local hanging though... the meaning to that song was described to me as a bit less eeri lol
I know

Ripley, TN

#12 Apr 12, 2011
The one who wrote the song was G.B.Grayson and he was from Laural Bloomery Tom Dula was from N.C. G.B.Grayson's uncle was the one who caught Tom Dula and he was not a sheriff he owned a farm over in trade and Tom Dula came to his farm looking for work, stayed there a couple of days and after he left the law came looking for him, Grayson then caught him. Grayson was a colonal and later a general for the union in the civil war
van an the wrinkle

Lexington, TN

#13 Apr 13, 2011
Addlepated1 wrote:
<quoted text>Things are closed on Wednesday because that was slave tradin day. To celebrate slavery in MC some businesses still cose on Wednesday. Probably wishing they had a few Negros of there own.
I thought everything was closed on wednesdays because it's hump day.A maynor once taut us that why it closd
yup

Ripley, TN

#14 Apr 25, 2011
The man that was hung that day was Finley Presson. He killed Lilly Shaw and burned her body over by saw creek.
jokerswild

Johnson City, TN

#15 Nov 20, 2011
The reason stores are closed is because allows stores to open on sat without goning to overtime,Tom Dula was hanged in wilks co,Nc

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mountain City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
motorcycle wreck just now (Apr '10) 4 hr Citzen 21
A to Z market 8 hr LAFS 2
Bill Roark, County Commissioner 12 hr Jody H 2
lickers 12 hr Jody H 2
Gerald buckle's as a landlord 19 hr person 7
Motorcycle wreck (Jul '09) Tue SHE and I 15
Motorcycle accident (May '11) Tue SHE and I 33

Mountain City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance