County Resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2007

Johnson County has had many good players,but I thought the name of the forum was the best.To me to be considered the best they would have had to go on and play professional and I would have to say from what I have heard over the years that would have to be Hard Rock Shouns,he did leave Johnson County and go to play professional baseball.Did we have any other players make it to the big leagues.I have always wondered this or was he the only one.He is the only one I have ever heard anyone talk about making it big.So I would have to say he must have been the best.

Since: Dec 06

Mountain City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2007

jclonghorns wrote:
BASEBALL-JOE SNYDER/JIM BRAGG
FOOTBALL-TONY HAGLAR
BASKETBALL-MATT CORNETT
GOLF-JOSH CORNETT
TENNIS-JAMES COX
SOFTBALL-LAURA PETERS
Baseball- If you say Joe Snyder, then you have to say Raphael Zabala. Also Chris Gambill was one hell of a pitcher.
Football- Bo Henson
Basketball- Cornett was a good player, but needed Tommy Short and Judd Shoun to win. Nathan Jenkins, Jason Mills, Jeremy Dunn, Jeff Pardue, Ryan Arnold and Judd Shoun are all good candidates.
Golf- Don't know about the Cornett kid, but Adam Clark and Derek Stidhams were good golfers in school.
Tennis & Softball- You are probably correct.

Overall athlete- I am sticking with Jeremy Dunn.
Sports in Johnson County

Gate City, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2007

BASEBALL-Snyder, Jim Bragg and Zabala's statistics speak for themselves on the baseball field. Gambill was good but he was also over hyped. He flamed out after one year at Milligan and he was hyped in the local paper like he was going to a division 1 school on his way to the big leagues.

BASKETBALL-Matt Cornett had tremendous athletic ability but little in the way of real basketball skills. Jeremy Dunn, Ryan Arnold, and Jeff Pardue deserve all the praise that comes their way. Pardue has made a nice career for himself as a coach.
jclonghors

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2007

Does anybody know any statistics on Zabala?

Notable Athletes on www.jchs.k12tn.net

Jesse Atwood - Football Running back

2005-2006

Ryann Tillman - Volleyball

2004-2005

Nathan Paisley -Baseball Catcher

2001-2002

Chris Gambill - Baseball Pitcher

1995-1996

Lucas Hartley - Football Offensive Line

Ryan Arnold - Basketball

1993-1994

Jim Bragg - Baseball

1993-1994

Joe Snyder - Baseball

Jim Bragg - Baseball

1988-1989

Terry "Bo" Henson -Football - Punt/Kick Return

Steve Souder - Football

1987-1988

Sam Icenhour - Football

1983-1984

Jeff Pardue - Basketball

1980-1981

Kevin Billing - Football

*note jim bragg, only athlete on there twice.
I got some statistics

Supper 22 Team 1st baseman 1994

- Jim Bragg Batting Avg..607* highest in state
HR's: 3
RBI's:35

From JC Press 1994:
Bragg was one of the toughest outs in the area, compiling a .607 batting average to go along with three homers and 35 RBIs

TSWA ALL STATE TEAMS class AA-A
Infielders- Jimmy Bragg 1st Base.

So Booh Yah
National Pastime

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2007

Zabala holds the single season home run record for Johnson County baseball. He hit 13 bombs during the 1997 season. If you know baseball in our county you know our field is huge and you earn every home run you get. There are not cheap home runs at Longhorn Field.
jclonghors

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2007

National Pastime wrote:
Zabala holds the single season home run record for Johnson County baseball. He hit 13 bombs during the 1997 season. If you know baseball in our county you know our field is huge and you earn every home run you get. There are not cheap home runs at Longhorn Field.
Thats for sure! lol one of the biggest fields in the conference, i wish it was like Unicoi's lol
Has been Longhorn

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

Having been a Longhorn myself and a big fan for many many years, I would like to put my two cents worth in this discussion.I think that the best athlete should be a person who has excelled in more than one sport. We have had many great players in the different sports but not that many who have achieved greatness in multiple sports. Having said this, I would like to nominate two players. First I nominate Sonny Gambill in football. Sonny was big and strong and could knock the socks off an opponent and to add to this he was extremely fast. He could have played for any college in the country. He was that good. Next I would like to nominate Danny Bellamy in basketball. Danny was the purist shooter I have even seen in a Longhorn uniform. He was grace in motion on the basketball court and could hit from anywhere in the floor. I'm still thinking about who is the best "athlete" and will make my nomination later.
Longhorns

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

Mr. Bellamy was the best basketball player in J.C. history, followed by Terry Lewis, I think drugs and alcohol really hurt the early 70's teams, they should have played for the state title in '74-'75
Mark Humphrey was really good in Baseball, Football,Basketball.
A big fan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2007

Here are my two cents on the Greatest Athletes in Longhorn sports history.
FOOTBALL:Bo Henson
BOYS BASKETBALL: Jeff Pardue
BASEBALL: Joe Snyder
BOYS TENNIS: Adam Cornett
BOYS GOLF: Josh Cornett
BOYS TRACK: Matt Cornett
VOLLEYBALL (Tie) Elisha Milam, Ryann Tillman (Both did so much it's hard to go against either one of them)
GIRLS BASKETBALL: Elisha Milam
SOFTBALL: April Arnold
GIRLS TENNIS: Amy Hartley
GIRLS TRACK: Too hard to say
GIRLS GOLF: Only been one female golfer in school history. I can't think of the name but I know she was good.
brad

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2007

Judged:

rodrick cornett gets biggest dumbass award
Annie May

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2007

Why not check the schools records thats the best memory .Johnson County High School website. Looks like jclonghors might have done just that.....
diamond

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2007

Well has any one even checked the pictures in the highschool on the wall? two i remember is Jimmy Bragg and Joe Snyder for baseball.
Durand Beard

Chattanooga, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2007

He could catch ant football thrown his way--Shoot a 20 foot jumpshot from anywhere on the court......And in Baseball he could throw smoke, and his curve ball would make every batter he faced look like they never played baseball before------he was the Best...
fball fan

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

Has been Longhorn wrote:
Having been a Longhorn myself and a big fan for many many years, I would like to put my two cents worth in this discussion.I think that the best athlete should be a person who has excelled in more than one sport. We have had many great players in the different sports but not that many who have achieved greatness in multiple sports. Having said this, I would like to nominate two players. First I nominate Sonny Gambill in football. Sonny was big and strong and could knock the socks off an opponent and to add to this he was extremely fast. He could have played for any college in the country. He was that good. Next I would like to nominate Danny Bellamy in basketball. Danny was the purist shooter I have even seen in a Longhorn uniform. He was grace in motion on the basketball court and could hit from anywhere in the floor. I'm still thinking about who is the best "athlete" and will make my nomination later.
I Defintely agree with Sonny "Grader" Gambill. He was a heck of an athlete who could have played ANYWHERE. I loved to watch him Mow down the opponents
John

Elizabethton, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

Durand Beard wrote:
He could catch ant football thrown his way--Shoot a 20 foot jumpshot from anywhere on the court......And in Baseball he could throw smoke, and his curve ball would make every batter he faced look like they never played baseball before------he was the Best...
They were good onder what they are doing now?
dont forget

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

Kathy Miller - Won more spelling bees then anyone else around. By far the best athlete around. It is a sport you know..
hootie

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2007

craig peters
rocky

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2007

brad wrote:
rodrick cornett gets biggest dumbass award
AMEN

Since: Dec 06

Mountain City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2007

jclonghors wrote:
2005-2006
2004-2005

*note jim bragg, only athlete on there twice.
Looks like someone else is on there twice.
JcHs_1

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2007

innocence feared lost wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like someone else is on there twice.
lol wat a smart a$$

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Mountain City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 4 min little miss tuffet 144,531
Review: Stouts Plumbing 55 min Butler resident 10
Sign petitions at Quick Shop and other stores f... 1 hr OhGoshSad 2
drugs sold laurel trailor park 1 hr west va girl 5
laurel trailer park laurel bloomery,tn 1 hr west va girl 1
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 1 hr WTH 9,254
Debate: Ferguson - Mountain City, TN 2 hr average joe 7
Senior girl who just had a baby 3 hr doe resident also 15

Search the Mountain City Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Mountain City Jobs