daily reflections by aa/na members fo...

daily reflections by aa/na members for aa/na members

Posted in the Mount Vernon Forum

Versailles, KY

#1 Jul 19, 2009
Enjoy the reflections. Meditate on the message and post a comment. Your share is important to us all.
July 19th

Versailles, KY

#2 Jul 19, 2009
FALSE PRIDE- Many of us who had thought ourselves religious awoke to the limitations of this attitude. Refusing to place God first, we had deprived ourselves of His help.(12 STEPS and 12 TRADITIONS pg.75}
Many false notions operate in false pride. The need for direction to live a decent life is satisfied by the hope experienced in the AA/NA Fellowship. Those who have walked the way for years-a day at a time-say that a God-centered life has limitless possibilities for personal growth. This being so, much hope is transmittited by the elder AA's/NA's.
I thank my Higher Power for letting me know that He works through other people, and I thank Him for our trusted servants in the Fellowship who aid new members to reject their false ideals and to adopt those which lead to a life of compassion and trust. The elders in AA/NA challenge the newcomers to "Come To"-so that they can "Come To Believe." I ask my Higher Power to help my unbelief. pg.209
Peace

Versailles, KY

#3 Jul 19, 2009
I like the reading about false pride. False pride comes from self centeredness. I found that I was self-centered in all my ways in active addiction and long after I stopped using and drinking. I had religious beliefs and affiliations. I didn't have anyone to tell me that I had character defects, or that I was self-centered. I probably wouldn't have listened to them anyway if they weren't an addict like me. FALSE PRIDE!!!
After learning about my thinking problems from an elderly Dr., who is a recoverying addict/alcoholic with 33 years of clean time, I was taught that my prayers were self-centered. He taught me to never pray for myself unless it was to aid me in being useful to other's. and that then only might I expect to receive. But that would be in great measure. The Dr. said that after I got rid of self I would go into a new relationship with my Creator.
This was simple, but not easy; a price had to be paid. It meant destruction of self-centeredness. I had to turn all things over to the Father Of Light who presides over us all.
The moment I followed the directions of the Dr. and accepted that I had been self-centered instead of God-centered the effect was electric! there was a sense of victory followed by such a peace and serenity as I had never known. I now had confidence. God had shown up in His own timing. My new work was ahead of me-one day at a time-. I now know what it means to say Faith without works is dead! The book says that we will drink or use if we are spiritually unfit. When I feel selfish and/or lose the desire to show up and help other's then that's when I know that I'm spiritually unfit, Self-centered!!!
loving

London, KY

#4 Jul 19, 2009
god bless each one of you i will keep you in my prayers
Peace

Versailles, KY

#5 Jul 19, 2009
loving wrote:
god bless each one of you i will keep you in my prayers
Thank you "loving". An addict like me needs all the prayers that he can receive. I will thank Him for you and your desire to help those that have addiction problems. Yours is in Heaven Brother! God Bless You and Yours!
July 20th

Versailles, KY

#6 Jul 19, 2009
SHORTCOMINGS REMOVED:
But now the words "Of myself I am nothing, the Father doeth the works" began to carry bright promise and meaning.
(12 STEPS AND 12 TRADITIONS) pg.75

When I put the Seventh Step into action I must remember that there are no blanks to fill in. It doesn't say,"Humbly asked Him to (fill in the blank) remove our shortcomings." For years, I filled in the imaginary blank with "Help me!"
"Give me the courage to," and "Give me the strength," etc. the Step says simply that God will remove my shortcomings. The only footwork I must do is "humbly ask," which for me means asking with the knowledge that of myself I am nothing, the Father within "doeth the works."
GREAT THREAD

Sheridan, AR

#7 Jul 19, 2009
KEEP THIS GOING. ITS GREAT!!!! GOD BLESS!!
Peace

Versailles, KY

#8 Jul 20, 2009
When I first went into the program of AA/NA I had no idea what the difference was between a character defect and a shortcoming. Now I know that a character defect is the overuse of a natural instinct, and a shortcoming is the opposite, it is the under-use of a natural instinct. So, when in Step Seven I humbly ask God to remove our shortcomings, I want Him to remove my under-use of the things that are useful to Him in service to Him.

The Reflection talks about that of myself I am nothing. If I could remove my under-use then I wouldn't have to humble myself and ask God to. This is the part that is simple, but hard to remember. I am not God. If I think that it is me that is doing all the fixing, then I'll soon think I'm not powerless over anything and that I alone can manage my own life. Then there will come a day when I will have no defense against that first drink or that drug. I will have the thinking that I have created in my mind. It will be like thinking that I can control my drinking and drug use now, I've proved that I can quit, right? And the disease will be lying there doing push-ups, just waiting to go another round with me. I have forgotten that it whooped me so bad that I admitted that I was powerless over it. Your bottom is where you stop digging!!!! Some paid with their lives, some went to prison for years, some lost their babies, most lost everything until they decided that they weren't willing to give this disease anymore!!! God, give us the tools to use and remove our shortcomings so that we will use the tools You've provided us with. You are the Remover, and we are nothing without You. Amen
July 21st

Versailles, KY

#9 Jul 20, 2009
A PRICELESS GIFT:
By this time in all probability we have gained some measure of release from our more devastating handicaps. We enjoy moments in which there is something like real peace of mind. To those of us who have hitherto known only excitement, depression, or anxiety-in other words, to all of us-this newfound peace is a priceless gift.
(12 STEPS AND 12 TRADITIONS) pg.74

I am learning to let go and let God, to have a mind that is open and a heart the is willing to receive God's grace in all my affairs; in this way I can experience the peace and freedom that come as a result of surrender. It has been proven that an act of surrender, originating in desperation and defeat, can grow into an ongoing act of faith, and that faith means freedom and victory.
July 22nd

Versailles, KY

#10 Jul 22, 2009
"THE GOOD AND THE BAD":
"My Creator, I am now willing that you should have all of me, good and bad."
(Alcoholics Anonymous pg.76)

The joy of life is in the giving. Being freed of my shortcomings, that I may more freely be of service, allows humility to grow in me. My shortcomings can be humbly placed in God's loving care and be removed. The essence of Step Seven is humility, and what better way to seek humility than by giving all of myself--good and bad--to God, so that He may remove the bad and return to me the good.
Peace

Versailles, KY

#11 Jul 22, 2009
In working this spiritual program I am constantly reminded that I have character defects and thinking errors. I offer them all to God and place faith in Him to remove them all. I show up in the rooms of AA/NA and I offer my experience, strength, and hope to other's. I recognize things that get in the way of my attendance and those are the things that I need to have removed. When I'm too busy to sponsor another addict then there is something in my life that is more important to me than doing what has been so freely given to me. We suffer from a disease that is Selfish and we become Dishonest with our own selves. Humility is not thinking less of myself, but thinking of myself less! I humbly ask God to take all of me, good and bad, and I ask that He remove the bad so that I can be willing and able to be of service to the alcoholic/addict who still suffers. We keep what we have only by giving it away. Keep coming back, it works if you work it. Faith without works is dead. In my experience this has all proved to be true!
July 23rd

Versailles, KY

#12 Jul 23, 2009
I ASK GOD TO DECIDE:
"I pray that you now remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to You and my fellows."
(Alcoholics Anonymous) pg.76

Having admitted my powerlessness and made a decision to turn my will and my life over to the care of God, as I understand Him, I don't decide which defects get removed, or the time frame in which they get removed, or the order in which defects get removed. I ask God to decide which defects stand in the way of my usefulness to Him and to other's, and then I humbly ask Him to remove them.
Serenity

Versailles, KY

#13 Jul 23, 2009
On the July 23rd reading I feel the key to the action work in this is to be humble when asking God to remove our defects of character that hinder us from being useful to other's. If I am humble then I am lowly and deeply respectful to God when asking. Placing faith that without Him I am nothing and can't remove a single thing on my own. I must trust God's decision on which defects need to be removed and know that He will reveal an opening for me to be of service to Him and to other's. After all I did turn my life and my will over to the care of God as I understand Him. God is the Remover and the Giver. I am the receiver and the servant to Him. Keep it simple by allowing God to do His work so that you can do more of His work.
Deon Dumb

Lexington, KY

#14 Jan 25, 2013
Do not forget the 13th step. "Came to believe that I can not handle sobriety, which makes me being an ass towards everybody else." I'm still sober but since I am an ass towards everyone else, I can still justify it because I belong or attend an AA or NA meeting. I also say "That used to be me out on the streets smoking crack and getting drunk." I then take my frustrations out on other people, especially when they can not say anything back to me. I especially like that part the best.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Vernon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Home invasion 16 min rock 1
what happen to TJ leager? 4 hr The man Ricky 19
any street racing going on around here? 5 hr The Bain 1
Catfish in lake linville 5 hr donny 2
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 5 hr SistaNoneYa 138,492
KKK Recruitment Flyer Upsets Rockcastle Co. Res... 7 hr Wes250 44
Bootsie 9 hr Intheknow 1
More from around the web

Mount Vernon People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]