Please read this

Robbins, TN

#1 Aug 20, 2008
Topix.com is currently being sued by a resident of Osceola, KY for posts containing her name. The plaintiff seeks no monetary gain from the site because the Terms of Service remove them from liability. However, the suit will allow the subpoena of records that could lead to the identity of the persons who posted. The suit currently lists the two defendants as Jane Doe 1 & Jane Doe 2.
Here's the link to an article about the suit:
http://osceolanow.com/index.php ...
I hope this helps those of you whose lives have been affected by this site. Please help to keep it on the front page.
Please read this

Robbins, TN

#2 Aug 20, 2008
By Juliana A. Torres
Staff Writer
Kathryn Raver, the St. Cloud woman whose husband, Bradley Raver, was shot and killed last September, is suing an online news forum for defaming accusations and threats written against her in the aftermath of her husband’s death.
Anonymous users on Topix.com have written nearly 700 comments discussing Bradley Raver’s death, his family and his association with Charles King, an employee who was arrested in connection with the homicide. The eight-month virtual conversation, which has continued even into the most recent weeks, eventually became a sounding board for a myriad of varying accusations and rumors, many of which targeted Kathy Raver.
Aside from suing the Web site, Brian-David Lit, Kathy Raver’s lawyer, said his client is primarily suing the two “Jane Does” posting under “kathy will die” and “Amanda Raver.” The two messages left under those pseudonyms were particularly threatening and offensive, he said.
“Those were the only ones that rose to the level of defamation,” Lit said.“My goal is to aggressively find out who made the posting to the chat room.”
Targeting Topix.com is just one step in that goal. By suing the Web site, Lit can subpoena the company’s records to help identify who posted the messages.
“I’m not in any way going after Topix,” he said.
Topix.com is an online forum that gathers news from various Web sites and consolidates the stories onto a centralized page for local communities. The site also allows its users to comment, generally anonymously, on any of the stories it gathers.
The 666-comment thread in question started in response to a news story about King’s arrest and investigation into Bradley Raver’s death.
King, an employee of Raver Roofing, told police he believed Bradley Raver was abusing Kathy Raver, based on her claims and “dark circles” he saw under her eyes, his arrest report stated. King spoke openly to St. Cloud police about his relationship with his boss’s wife, saying he thought he was in love with her. Police pulled phone records that show he and Kathy Raver called each other multiple times the morning of Sept. 27.
King eventually admitted to entering the Ravers’ home, walking into the unlocked master bedroom and shooting Bradley Raver, detectives said. Police found Bradley in his bed, dead from a gunshot wound to the back of the head on that Sept. 27 afternoon.
King is still being held in Osceola County Jail without bond, under the accusation of premeditated murder. Police did not charge Kathy Raver for any crime in connection to Bradley Raver’s death.
However, the two Topix.com posts in question accuse Kathy Raver of playing a part in her husband’s death, calling her names and threatening her life.
“…she going to pay if it’s not in court, then it’s on the strret she will die no matter what!!!” reads post No. 309, written under the pseudonym “kathy will die.”
“I personally hope she dies and I hope Im sitting there watching it,” writes “Amanda Raver” later in the thread.“Kathy I hope you f——- read this and you better watch your back while you still live in Saint Cloud because everyones after you.”
Within the messages, both writers claim to be one of Bradley Raver’s daughters, though Lit said his client wasn’t specifically suing Kathy Raver’s stepdaughters.
“We make no assumptions as to who it would be,” he said.
The original complaint, filed April 30 in Osceola County civil court, lists two Jane Does as defendants. Lit said he is still in the process of identifying the true defendants. Kathy Raver is suing for defamation, libel and intentional infliction of emotional distress. She is requesting a jury trial.
Lit said many of the people commenting in the Topix.com forum weren’t even Osceola County residents.
King’s jury trial for his murder charge is scheduled for Sept. 2 at the Osceola County Courthouse.
Kim Gallamore

Lakeland, FL

#3 Dec 2, 2009
"Mr Bradley Raver" is not forgotten ...I had the pleasure of meeting him and his wife Kathy the weekend before this HORRIABLE event, he wanted to buy a beautiful home for his wife. My heart goes out to his family and children. May god forgive those that has taken this mans life. Simple... just walking away could have resolved any issues.

Local REALTOR in Saint Cloud,Fl
blah

Longwood, FL

#4 Mar 15, 2010
Can she still sue now that she's been arrested for being involved in her husband's murder? I mean, how is it defamation of character if even the police & state attorneys think there's enough evidence to arrest the woman?
Just my opinion

Brea, CA

#5 Mar 16, 2010
It said she was NOT arrested or believed to be connected to the murder. Therefore it is defamation of character and she does have the right to go after these people leaving these comments.
blah

Longwood, FL

#6 Mar 16, 2010
Just my opinion wrote:
It said she was NOT arrested or believed to be connected to the murder. Therefore it is defamation of character and she does have the right to go after these people leaving these comments.
She has been arrested since that article and then re-arrested and charged with capital murder. She is out on bail and under house arrest. There's a chance the State may ask for the death penalty.

So I'm going with no, she's not going to be suing for defamation.
Kristi

Berea, KY

#7 Mar 16, 2010
I think it is a great that someone is being held responsible for defaming people on this site. It is one thing to have an opinion but to get on here and state out right lies is wrong and only hurts people. People get on here and gossip and talk about peoples family members and their children, who can not defend themselves. Some people talk about the dead and say horrible things about them. Which is wrong, in my opinion.
Whatever

Hendersonville, TN

#8 Mar 16, 2010
If that were the case no news organization would ever be able to report the details of a crime until after someone had been convicted. No gossip shows or websites would exit either. You ever see Nancy Grace? Hell she tries everyone on her show and I don't see her ass in court. If you are reading this site then you must know what the content is. Don't like it then move to China where they are outlawing Google of all things.
law suit

London, KY

#9 Mar 29, 2010
I think topix should be sued and held accountable for every slandering lie they allow on their disgusting site. If they don't want to be held accountable then topix should fix their site to where people who make post have to show their REAL names and hire staff to edit letters before they are posted.
the truth

Somerset, KY

#10 Apr 1, 2010
Topix is a crooked website that hopes for people to post something bad so that someone else will pay them 19.95 to have it removed. Simple as that the proprietors are making millions from people being idiots. It should be removed from the net for supporting slander. Albeit most communities don't degrade their boards near as much as we do. It is really sad that no one in this county can have an intelligent conversation.
good

Lancaster, WI

#11 Apr 2, 2010
hope it helps
Nottrue

Mammoth Lakes, CA

#12 Jul 22, 2010
Just my opinion wrote:
She WAS arrested- and it seems she is the one who set her husband up to be murdered! How dare she try and cry "defamation of character", and go so far as to try and sue, when in fact what was posted about her turned out to be true!
Maybe that psycho sue-happy murderess should be sued for trying to sue. ;-)

I did read, that even before her arrest- her civil case-["ended May 18, 2010, when the court issued an order of dismissal. This followed the filing of a notice to dismiss the case for failure to prosecute it."]

I also read this elsewhere:["Another big issue is that defamation cases tend to be difficult to win, and damage awards tend to be small. As a result, it is unusual for attorneys to be willing to take defamation cases on a contingent fee basis, and the fees expended in litigating even a successful defamation action can exceed the total recovery."]
One better have a lot of money to cover all the expenses incurred- and not expect any in return.
xoxxo

London, KY

#13 Jul 23, 2010
you all are just haters
Pro Freedom Jizz

Crossett, AR

#14 Jul 24, 2010
topix rules! sue my nuts haters!!!...PFJ
Large and In charge

Paducah, KY

#15 Sep 26, 2010
about time..this is just allowing ppl to harrass and defamate folks..heck call me i got like four things about me going in the paducah post only because "people didn't like what i had to say on my comments so they had to run there mouths like always and can't say it to my face" i been warning them all Harrassing communications and defemation of character but ohhh noo..im the crazy one lets see whos gonna be laughin now!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Vernon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
tabetha kates 6 min What 14
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 8 min Kane 5,514
Back Porch at Lake Linville 44 min Sixtyfourth Cherokee 10
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Cornelius Scudmister 154,006
Is the lake shutting down? 1 hr Back Nasty 70
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 2 hr Republicans for G... 26,281
Pine hill holiness church 2 hr obvious 20
•••
•••
Mount Vernon Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Mount Vernon Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Mount Vernon People Search