Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 149522 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Are You Kidding

Richmond Hill, NY

#86375 Aug 27, 2012
Satanic Priest wrote:
@areyoukidding
For the record, when you are told to keep your beliefs to yourself and do not push them on others it is not an attack against you it is telling you that your rights end where my rights begin.
However, trying to force others to join your sick evil cult is an attack against their FREEDOM to be FREE from your religion!

I have not attempted to push anything on you. I just defend my beliefs. I have not nor will not ask you to "join" anything. Again, you refer to Christians as a "sick evil cult" and again I defend. The only reason I even comment on here regarding my beliefs is due to your constant bashing.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#86376 Aug 27, 2012
I'm an agnostic atheist, to be technical about it. If you believe in God and have faith that's perfectly ok with me. It is only when you start making truth claims about the nature of the universe, pushing your religion into the schools, or attempting to coerce me into joining your group that I have a big problem.

Unfortunately there are a lot of Christian leaders who think it is their duty to do some or all of those things.

Defending your beliefs is perfectly ok unless by defending them you are arguing for truth claims about the world that are demonstrably false or highly unlikely to be true, like arguing that the Grand Canyon was caused in the Biblical flood story.

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#86377 Aug 27, 2012
Are You Kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
You "bet" I fall short. How dare you judge me!
How dare you how dare me.
I do not claim to live by your bible so yes, I judge you with out guilt.
As for your ten commandments they are in the OLD TESTAMENT so they no longer apply???
I admit to being human and having all the traits of humans, that is Satanism.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86378 Aug 27, 2012
Yiago wrote:
I'm an agnostic atheist, to be technical about it. If you believe in God and have faith that's perfectly ok with me. It is only when you start making truth claims about the nature of the universe, pushing your religion into the schools, or attempting to coerce me into joining your group that I have a big problem.
Unfortunately there are a lot of Christian leaders who think it is their duty to do some or all of those things.
Defending your beliefs is perfectly ok unless by defending them you are arguing for truth claims about the world that are demonstrably false or highly unlikely to be true, like arguing that the Grand Canyon was caused in the Biblical flood story.
Yes. I have been trying to explain what it is to be an agnostic atheist to some folks on both sides who are too intolerant. Agnostic means not making a claim to know, or have proof. And atheist means not being a theist, who is a person who believes in a God, god, gods, or Gods. It is such a tolerant view, and I only wish both more atheists and more believers would be agnostics first, and then add what they believe as a confession of their own faith, rather than an attempt to ram their beliefs into the heads of children or into laws or other coercive actions.
I am very hostile to the nastiest of socalled hard atheists who claim that they know there is no God, and that they do not even have to prove it! Anyone who claims to know, had better be able to at least try to prove it - and I am the sort of agnostic who does not think it can ever be proven one way or the other, because of the nature of proof and of knowledge, which are high standards for careful, rational people.

I thought I saw lots of underlying philosophical wisdom in your ordinary posts, that set you apart from the more nasty atheists on here who like to put folks down, rather than to be rational in trying to explain things. I always enjoy your comments, but I suspected that there was an underlying thoughtfulness that the give and take of topix does not usually give us time to explore much.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86379 Aug 27, 2012
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>How dare you how dare me.
I do not claim to live by your bible so yes, I judge you with out guilt.
As for your ten commandments they are in the OLD TESTAMENT so they no longer apply???
I admit to being human and having all the traits of humans, that is Satanism.
I appreciate it when you try to explain satanism more carefully, because otherwise folks will try to misconstrue it. Even after a few pages have gone by, they will go back to misinterpreting your views. However, I think you are a bit roughter on are you kidding than he or she deserves, because I think that person is a more moderate type than the ones we usually call fundies, who are the rightwing extremists who try to force their views on others, through laws and indoctrination of children.

The rightwing fundies are the dangerous ones. They are theocrats who want to Establish religion, contrary to the Constitution. I think some moderate centrist and progressive believers who think they are Christians and yet are not theocrats and Establishmentarians, would be our allies in opposing the attempts of the rightwing nutcases like Palin and Santorum and bachman, to force their views on everyone. I also think there are nice enough persons who call themselves Christians who have humane views on specific issues, maybe similar to your views regarding respect for the environment, etc. I want to keep lines of communication open to the nice ones who have good values and policy views, so we can put together a majority to defeat the horrid rightwing candidates for political office, and disgusting proposed legislation. I suspect are you kidding might be an ok ally in many good causes, so please hit harder at the obvious rightwing fundie extremists in particular, who really deserve it!
Justine

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

#86380 Aug 27, 2012
Ewe Too wrote:
<quoted text>
You apparently misread what I wrote. I said "Christians". BTW what grade are you in? Are you a Justin Bieber fan? I'll bet you are. Have you ever thought about doing standup comedy?
That's Justine with an E, you dodo. Nope, I'm 32 and female and born and raised in Ky. I just dont go along with all the baptist crap like you swallow hook line and sinker you miserable old creep. We belong to one of the baptist churches here (nope not tellin which one) and have for years, but really only because of my husband's job. He says we have to so we can stay ahead of the game. I'm nice to the stuffed up other moms that I have to be nice to at church, but they're all so backed up from so little sex that's why they're all in a bitchie mood all the time. There are a few of us who get together and play, mostly other stay at home moms and I'm not afraid to say it. Mu husband knows I play with other moms and he don't care just as long as he can watch sometimes. We're the ones with the real smiles on our faces on Sunday, not you! lol
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86381 Aug 27, 2012
Are You Kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
I have not attempted to push anything on you. I just defend my beliefs. I have not nor will not ask you to "join" anything. Again, you refer to Christians as a "sick evil cult" and again I defend. The only reason I even comment on here regarding my beliefs is due to your constant bashing.
I am trying to get satanic priest to see you as not being one of the really bad fundie extremists. I think that I am correct in my appraisal of you as a well-meaning person who does not want to force his views on children in school, or on others through theocratic laws. Maybe you have humane policy views that I would agree with, and even sp might agree with, if I could persuade him to stop generalizing in a way that includes you in his attacks. And if maybe you would state some of your more moderate and humane views that I would agree with - and maybe he would too. For example, do you look forward to a last days and a horrid end of the earth, or do you think we should try to preserve a decent environment on earth and try to avoid wars and especially horrible big wars, nuclear biological or chemical wars? Are you in favor of kind policies to help poorer people, or of tax breaks for the rich people and letting the poor go without help? Things like that are more important to me than theology. Only the theology that leads to horrid policies is the threat - if people are tolerant in their beliefs, we can have lots of variety.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86382 Aug 27, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Horsey Pucky Doo Doo...
It's simple to get ID in all states... Otherwise almost all of those mentioned would have far greater issues than voting because almost all of those you mention Have ID... The No transportation is a red herring argument as they are Alive and have to do all the things required to feed, cloth and survive meaning they have found a way to get about... Unless of course they never leave their place of residence and other have to supply every aspect for their survival... At which time they have access to someone to give them a lift...
Working and can't get ID... Really?.. So they are working Illegally and getting paid under the table?
No your argument is lacking... If anyone wishes to vote there is no valid reason today for not being able to provide verification of who they are... The arguments to the contrary are fallacious and made in order to promote Fraud and allow those that do not have the Right to vote to be able too...
And the Racists are those that keep blacks in self imposed servitude... Those that claim to Help then yell when some succeed in escaping those chains and becoming successful... Giving just enough to keep them quite, yet never allowing them to become the best they can be is Racist... Jessi Jackson and Al Sharpton are Racists and live like kings by keeping blacks in servitude to the government..
Playing the Race Card is getting old when we have many a great persons of Color succeeding in all fields... The Condelizza Rices, The Harvey Cains, Martin L Kings and yes even the Obama's show that if the vast Majority of Americans have concluded that King was correct and judge people on the Content of their Character not the color of their skin....
n The gOP is the welcome committee for the white racists of this country. It is the gOP consultants and ad men who play the race card. You do not know how vast the majority is that is not racist, but the majority of racists are in the GOP and independents, and not Democrats. You have gone over to the rightwing extremists and are an apologist for evil on politics. I am not going to ever accuse you of being one of some group like the tea party - I know it is your own thinking and you are not a dittohead. So think some more and turn out to be more understanding of what it is like to be in someone else's shoes, instead of judging others by your privileged white male life.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86384 Aug 27, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text> Your hate is very christian like, Blow ME.
your false accusations and your obscenity are very skeptic-like. I do not know how to make bombs, and would be unwilling to risk the lives of any life forms near you. you are more like the nasty -arrogant -insulting, hateful false accusing obscene commenter Skeptic than I am like a Christian of any variety. You are vicious hatred of Christians is so obvious in your overgeneralizations and nasty attacks on them, that your criticism of any of the horrid doctrines of Christianity is not useful, nor is your attack on any of the horrid true believers with the dangerous beliefs. You have portrayed yourself as such an extremist and such a nasty person, that you are counterproductive to the cause you seem to want to promote. You are a horrid person who claims to be an atheist, and that is not useful in making a case for atheism.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86385 Aug 27, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Damn, your calling for all posters on this thread that are on your side to attack the ones that don't care for your superior intelect(laughter), you and christianity are two of a kind, so much hate, just let it go, if not, well, Blow ME.
actually, I would like to see more commenters reject the sort of hatefulness and obscenity and false accusation that you represent. I think it would be good if atheists with a superior intellect did separate ourselves from those with inferior moral and intellectual standards like you and Skeptic.(You do not conduct yourself with civility, and you do no good for the cause of making a case for atheism.)I do not think they need to attack you, but I certainly do not approve of anyone who supports either you or Skeptic in your nastiness, which seems to be the predominant thing you offer on these threads. I have never seen a sign of you having an intellect, but I see your hostilities and intolerance and nastiness in almost all of your comments. My hostility is mostly confined to you and yaa and skeptic, and rightwing Republicans. Are you a rightwing Republican by any chance? I find it difficult to believe that you could be a decent person in the rest of your life, given how you conduct yourself on topix.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86386 Aug 27, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? I have told him several times he is delusional... I have had many posts on here given thumbs up from the Left side of reality also... Maybe that should give me pause also... Reality is that if I agree with someone they like me, If I disagree, not so much.. Just means I am on the right track if I can piss off both sides of the political and religious spectrums.....
I was kidding. You are not like him. I was just teasing you because he agreed with you on something. Actually I disagree with you on lots of things and also like you.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86387 Aug 27, 2012
Are You Kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
My problem is with the women who use abortion as a means of birth control. There are, of course, exceptions to this. I know women who have had multiple abortions. They did not want a child, but they failed to use any birth control.
I agree with you, except maybe the men should also have been blamed equally for not using birth control - condoms. actually blamed more, because it is also a prevention of std's including aids. i think any woman who can prove a sexual relationship without protection should be able to charge a man with a misdemeanor, and have it called a form of rape - even if she would have consented to it if he had used a condom. That might make careless and selfish men be more careful.
The burden should be more on the men. In 31 states a rapist has parental rights. That should be ended. He should have no rights and all sorts of financial and medical responsibilities, including being a required organ donor, with no right of refusal.

If the GOP were serious, and the pro-lifers were serious, they would take more steps against rapists of all sorts, and against incest, and steps to protect women from unsafe situations and conditions. If people were serious, they would oppose sexual harassment. If people were really serious, they would impeach and remove Clarence Thomas from the Supreme Court, as a liar and a sexual harasser.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86388 Aug 27, 2012
Are You Kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a chance in hell!!!! Maybe when you grow up someone will.
I told him I did not know how to make bombs.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#86389 Aug 27, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> your false accusations and your obscenity are very skeptic-like. I do not know how to make bombs, and would be unwilling to risk the lives of any life forms near you. you are more like the nasty -arrogant -insulting, hateful false accusing obscene commenter Skeptic than I am like a Christian of any variety. You are vicious hatred of Christians is so obvious in your overgeneralizations and nasty attacks on them, that your criticism of any of the horrid doctrines of Christianity is not useful, nor is your attack on any of the horrid true believers with the dangerous beliefs. You have portrayed yourself as such an extremist and such a nasty person, that you are counterproductive to the cause you seem to want to promote. You are a horrid person who claims to be an atheist, and that is not useful in making a case for atheism.
Blow ME.

“There is no god.”

USA

#86390 Aug 27, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> actually, I would like to see more commenters reject the sort of hatefulness and obscenity and false accusation that you represent. I think it would be good if atheists with a superior intellect did separate ourselves from those with inferior moral and intellectual standards like you and Skeptic.(You do not conduct yourself with civility, and you do no good for the cause of making a case for atheism.)I do not think they need to attack you, but I certainly do not approve of anyone who supports either you or Skeptic in your nastiness, which seems to be the predominant thing you offer on these threads. I have never seen a sign of you having an intellect, but I see your hostilities and intolerance and nastiness in almost all of your comments. My hostility is mostly confined to you and yaa and skeptic, and rightwing Republicans. Are you a rightwing Republican by any chance? I find it difficult to believe that you could be a decent person in the rest of your life, given how you conduct yourself on topix.
Calling all commenters, a "nasty" lynching in 5 mins, lol, Blow ME.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86391 Aug 27, 2012
really wrote:
THose who most ATTACK the BIBLE are often those most AFRAID it might b TRUE..
There are thin lines between love and hate in some people's rs also... A real "person" of God.. A Christ follower... Someone close to God.. Will not b one of these ppl some of u have described. They will have compassion, empathy, sympathy... But they also have the flesh to deal with... It struggles with the spirit.
Christians are not PERFECT ppl by no means... They are FORGIVEN.. Which means a lot to a sinner especially IF they have been forgiven. Have u ever lied to someone or hurt someone and they "FORGAVE" u..how did that feel? "Or have u needed forgiveness from someone u offended and never gotten it". Well that's what it's about. Forgiving and loving. What could b so "WRONG" with that? Gee whiz ..... R u haters of everything good! Can u not see more evil and bad around you every day? I pray for everyone posting on this sight that our eyes and ears would b open to the Spirit and that we would all come to know the "TRUTH" before u r in the grave and no longer have that CHANCE... Say whatever u will.. This has been going on for some time now, but GOD gave us all a measure of faith aNd that's all we need.
True Christians are peaceful and joyful "Even in the hardest of times" can u say that when u have a death or a bill due or no food? Who do u call on? Who can u call on? Friends, relatives? How many times? Day and night?
My life alone has been spared THREE times in two weeks. Once today. MIRACLES all around ... They r not hard to c or hear... So glad I'm a Christ follower and have peace. I would NEVER trade... Never deny my Jesus..
God BLESS U ALL
You can have your views. Just stop trying to impose them on others, and stop lying about the views and attitudes of others. Those who attack the Bible are those who have read it and have rational minds, and a sense of morality. It is nonsense to think we are afraid it is true. The folks who have to go to church two or three times a week to drum the superstition into the heads of their children and their own selves, do not do anything at all to develop their own rational capacity, they just re-indoctrinate themselves with nonsense time after time. the belief is miracles is superstition. who in the hell are you to have your life saved when hundreds of others are being killed in stupid wars? maybe you think that you are such a good ass-kisser for your God and your Jesus that you get special privileges? what about other socalled Christians who pray and who are good people, and then bad things happen to them.? You are incredibly smug and self-satisfied. your Jesus. what you mean is your madeup excuse for paying any price for anything bad you have done, so you can call yourself saved and not have to apologize to anyone you have injured, because all that really matters to you is getting into a fundie heaven, and not the well-being of anyone you have injured. apologize to the persons you have injured, and pay reparations, don't go running to /God and telling him how much you love him and his son for saving you from the consequences of your harmful actions. and I bet you have done some wrong things - not terribly wrong - and escaped paying any price for it, and avoided apologizing also. you are too self-satisfied to be a good Christian, as you call it. I bet you are a Romney Ryan supporter, and think the poor deserve less, and the rich deserve tax breaks.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86392 Aug 27, 2012
or maybe a bachmann or santorum or palin fololower.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#86393 Aug 27, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> n The gOP is the welcome committee for the white racists of this country. It is the gOP consultants and ad men who play the race card. You do not know how vast the majority is that is not racist, but the majority of racists are in the GOP and independents, and not Democrats. You have gone over to the rightwing extremists and are an apologist for evil on politics. I am not going to ever accuse you of being one of some group like the tea party - I know it is your own thinking and you are not a dittohead. So think some more and turn out to be more understanding of what it is like to be in someone else's shoes, instead of judging others by your privileged white male life.
Then the Dem's are the bastion of black racists of this country.. It is the Liberal consultants that play the race card otherwise why would they not highlight folks like Condoleezza , Cain, Keyes and the other10's of 1000's of Conservative Blacks instead of calling them Uncle Toms, Race Traitors, Step and Fetchets and all the other names the left have used...

On the Conservative side when such racist idiotic positions are taken by the very, very few they are pilloried and spoken of as Idiots by the Vast Majority of Conservatives... When such Idiotic events as standing in front of a polling station with billy clubs happen very few on the left act appalled..

But please let me see your evidence of Conservative Speakers bringing up Race as an Issue and using it as a Race Card..(Not the idiots on the far edges of either side) Just the people that have positions of authority or power that take leadership positions... I can provide many, many on the Left that make it a point when they speak... I cannot seem to find it of Conservatives except when responding to the left playing the Card first..

I do hear the left claiming the Right uses Code Words.. I seem to have never been given the decoder ring... If the Right is the Bastion for Racists then why the heck would any use Code Words? They would get more support with all those conservative racists by simply being up front...

Fact is Conservatives see Blacks being exploited by the left as abhorrent... The powers that be on the left maintain power by keeping them in perpetual poverty.. Giving them just enough to keep them coming back to the table and saying "May I have More Please" ... The greatest threat to the democratic party is a thriving, economically vital, upwardly mobile black population... Theres little difference from the days when southern slave owners just gave enough to keep their slaves alive and under control to pick their cotton crops as to the Left Today giving them just enough to keep their inner city slaves alive so they provide a fresh picking of Votes come election day...

If the left wants to look Racists directly in the eyes the closest mirror is the place to find it....

“There is no god.”

USA

#86394 Aug 27, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>You can have your views. Just stop trying to impose them on others, and stop lying about the views and attitudes of others. Those who attack the Bible are those who have read it and have rational minds, and a sense of morality. It is nonsense to think we are afraid it is true. The folks who have to go to church two or three times a week to drum the superstition into the heads of their children and their own selves, do not do anything at all to develop their own rational capacity, they just re-indoctrinate themselves with nonsense time after time. the belief is miracles is superstition. who in the hell are you to have your life saved when hundreds of others are being killed in stupid wars? maybe you think that you are such a good ass-kisser for your God and your Jesus that you get special privileges? what about other socalled Christians who pray and who are good people, and then bad things happen to them.? You are incredibly smug and self-satisfied. your Jesus. what you mean is your madeup excuse for paying any price for anything bad you have done, so you can call yourself saved and not have to apologize to anyone you have injured, because all that really matters to you is getting into a fundie heaven, and not the well-being of anyone you have injured. apologize to the persons you have injured, and pay reparations, don't go running to /God and telling him how much you love him and his son for saving you from the consequences of your harmful actions. and I bet you have done some wrong things - not terribly wrong - and escaped paying any price for it, and avoided apologizing also. you are too self-satisfied to be a good Christian, as you call it. I bet you are a Romney Ryan supporter, and think the poor deserve less, and the rich deserve tax breaks.
"You can have your views. Just stop trying to impose them on others" As long as it is your view, can we say Hypocrite.
right

Hindman, KY

#86395 Aug 27, 2012
it shouldn't be up to the schools to teach about the bible.if the parents want them taught it should be up to the parent.if they want to take them to church it should be up to the parent to teach them not the schools.because of so many different beliefs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Vernon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kailey Grace Lovell 16 hr SchoolM8 7
i p adresses shared and posted 16 hr Neighbor is a hyp... 18
Pegs food mart 19 hr Citizen 4
RCHS Football (Oct '15) Fri Pig head 35
Gary hasty and cierra bailey back together Thu Hillary 3
married women Thu Educated 21
Bald lady in drug bust Wed June 5

Mount Vernon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance