favorite memories of mount vernon kentucky

Posted in the Mount Vernon Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
linda

Somerset, KY

#1 Dec 5, 2008
if anybody has any memories of mount vernon then post them on here i know somebody out there has some memories of mount vernon past and present. and we all know there use to be stores in town like the old army store on main street,rubys resturant.there use to be all kinds of stores in town.so let us know what you all remember.
world traveler

AOL

#2 Dec 5, 2008
mt. vernon in my rear-view mirror!
long ago

London, KY

#3 Dec 5, 2008
i remember the movie theater. i use to go there as a child. sometimes u could get in for a can of food. but that was when someones house burnt an needed food. those were the days people helped people. remember the old men trading knives an the shavings on the sidewalk. an saturdays were a big day in town.
remembering

London, KY

#4 Dec 5, 2008
Don't you just wish you could go back sometimes. I know I do.
long ago

London, KY

#5 Dec 5, 2008
hell i still live here lol

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#6 Dec 5, 2008
When the lake was new and clean. It had a beach and you would lay out on a blanket and listen to a radio with batteries in it. During the summer, everyone was there during the day. At night, go to the ballpark at the old Mount Vernon grade school. Sit on the wall and talk. Hang out in front of snack shack on the picnic tables that were there. No cell phones. No i-pods. Listened to the radio in the cars. This was my high school years in the 70's. <sigh> Good times.
Billie Jean Harper

Manchester, KY

#7 Dec 5, 2008
long ago wrote:
i remember the movie theater. i use to go there as a child. sometimes u could get in for a can of food. but that was when someones house burnt an needed food. those were the days people helped people. remember the old men trading knives an the shavings on the sidewalk. an saturdays were a big day in town.
the ol Dollar general buising
Billie Jean Harper

Manchester, KY

#8 Dec 5, 2008
Celtic Lady wrote:
When the lake was new and clean. It had a beach and you would lay out on a blanket and listen to a radio with batteries in it. During the summer, everyone was there during the day. At night, go to the ballpark at the old Mount Vernon grade school. Sit on the wall and talk. Hang out in front of snack shack on the picnic tables that were there. No cell phones. No i-pods. Listened to the radio in the cars. This was my high school years in the 70's. <sigh> Good times.
add rexxx75@yahoo
Maggie from Mount Vernon

Toccoa, GA

#9 Dec 5, 2008
Yes I remember being on a softball team, women league..I was just a teen in the 70s. It was fun all the players there, the mayor was even on my team...
70s and 80s

Lily, KY

#10 Dec 6, 2008
There were no playstations,cell phones, not even Nintendo. But the one thing we all loved doing was a good ball game and cruising town. Those were two things that were always harmless. When the teenagers were parked in town, nothing bad was going on, we were all just there having a good time just being together. Now the lake.....that was off limits with my parents!!! If I was seen anywhere around the lake, except around the "beach" area sunbathing during the sunny time of the day, I was in TROUBLE!!! There wasnt all the things to hurt a young person then like there is now. I panic when I cant reach my kids on their cell phones now. How did my momma handle it????????? LOL
70s and 80s

Lily, KY

#11 Dec 6, 2008
I graduated in 81 and my most fond memories during the 70s and 80s are of cheerleading and all of the wonderful friends I had, many of which I still try to stay in touch with. We were a pretty close class and I truely loved so many of them. If anyone out there from that time period sees this, get on FaceBook, lets get in contact!!! Its the best way to stay in touch.
Ott

United States

#12 Dec 6, 2008
1985,Mt. Vernon Plastics,My first factory job. There were many good people working their.I loved it.Then reynolds aluminum bought it and created many new management jobs and a riddiculas attendance policy and managed it rite into the ground.Way to go guts.Well over 300 jobs lost.
way back when

AOL

#13 Dec 6, 2008
MY husband and i where talking last night about Dolly's dairy freeze. The best pizza and footlong hotdogs ever. Wish I had one of those pizza's. the good old days. Our kids have missed out on alot.
remember

London, KY

#14 Dec 7, 2008
way back when wrote:
MY husband and i where talking last night about Dolly's dairy freeze. The best pizza and footlong hotdogs ever. Wish I had one of those pizza's. the good old days. Our kids have missed out on alot.
i remeber dollys the cherry cokes an orang sherbert
yahoo

London, KY

#15 Dec 7, 2008
linda wrote:
if anybody has any memories of mount vernon then post them on here i know somebody out there has some memories of mount vernon past and present. and we all know there use to be stores in town like the old army store on main street,rubys resturant.there use to be all kinds of stores in town.so let us know what you all remember.
I remember back in the day when the Druthers was still here
Unscarred By Trials

Somerset, KY

#16 Dec 7, 2008
I miss the food Snack Shack USED to have and I miss playing Gauntlet and Paperboy. It's went to hell. Or what about the old Countdown,played many a game of Super Pacman, or Countdown 2. And that arcade that Melvin Powell ran, those were good times. I played a many a game of Asteroids, Joust and Pacman there.

I'm in my thirties and I own a Playstation 3, 80 gig hard drive LOL
great memories

London, KY

#17 Dec 7, 2008
I remember Dollie's dairy freeze well. The Snack Shack was the place for cherry cokes and french fries, get off the bus at the grade school and walk up there. And the old grade school in Mt. Vernon, you could sit on the wall and talk to your friends, the playground and does anyone remember the "white buildings" as we used to call them? It was 5th and 6th grades I think. Up town you had Harold Jones's store and the post office, and the Hen House Cafe, and everybody came to town on Saturdays. Then when we got to be teenagers we cruised town, from Napa to the Dairy freeze. Nobody bothered nobody. It's a shame that its not that way now.
loved them old days

Manchester, KY

#18 Dec 7, 2008
Celtic Lady wrote:
that was the good old days I loved going to the ball-park and movies they have took everything away from Mt.Vernon isn't it ashame back then there were things for us kids to do now there's nothing
loved them old days

Manchester, KY

#19 Dec 7, 2008
Unscarred By Trials wrote:
I miss the food Snack Shack USED to have and I miss playing Gauntlet and Paperboy. It's went to hell. Or what about the old Countdown,played many a game of Super Pacman, or Countdown 2. And that arcade that Melvin Powell ran, those were good times. I played a many a game of Asteroids, Joust and Pacman there.
I'm in my thirties and I own a Playstation 3, 80 gig hard drive LOL
I belive the Rickles ran the arcade it was on Fair Ground Hill. We played pool and all kinds of other games I sure miss them days wish I could turn back the clock.
loved them old days

Manchester, KY

#20 Dec 7, 2008
that was great times now are the kids want to do is fight and have sex drink and do drugs. If we still had all them things I think Mt.Vernon would be a better place for the kids. They have nothing to do even the park they didn't fix it for the kids the done that so the adult would have a place to walk. I think it is a shame the kids are not even aloud to ride their bikes on the walk or skate or anything but I let mine do it whether they like or not. The park is for kids not us ADULTS.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Vernon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 11 min ChromiuMan 133,336
Westley and Ragina Mullins 1 hr Obvious 4
26 Anniversary of the murders of Emma Lunce Ing... (Oct '12) 11 hr treeclimber 55
Mt. Vernon is getting either a Walmart Express ... (Apr '11) 11 hr knows 173
nathan gibbons (Aug '09) 12 hr lowest 3
CPS crminals 12 hr concerned 2
Doug Vanwinke/Elliot Dolley/ Thieves! 12 hr Fedup 8
Mount Vernon Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Mount Vernon People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News