probation and parole
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Confused

Macon, GA

#1 Jan 12, 2010
Seems to me we have a real problem here in Rockcastle County. We have a courthouse and jail, so why don't we have an officer of probation here? I do not understand why everybody has to travel to another county to see a probation officer! Somerset that is. And most of the ones that are going do not have any drivers license. So they have to hire someone to take them. Well most of them do not have jobs, because they are felons and to top it off you are not allowed to ride with another person over there if you both are felons! So not only are parents having to fork over the $25.00 for the probation officer's pocket,they have to see that they get there "OR" they will violate and go back to jail!!! There is something wrong with this picture! Felons can not get jobs here in Kentucky like they can in other states, because it is a commonwealth state. Nor can they rent an apartment. Well, felons get hungry too and they get cold. They need a chance to prove themselves. After all there are more out there walking around that just has'nt got caught doing worser things. I think it is a shame that they get drug through the mud and our big time commonwealth state permits it. Nobody will hire them so what do they expect them to do? Everybody has made mistakes, that does not mean that their life should end! They need jobs and places to live just like the rest of us! And then to put another burdon on us to see that they get to Somerset to the probation office. Well, if you can lodge them, try them and sentence them here, they should have a office here for them to report too. I mean come on. We put enough money in the officials wallets, we have to survive too! Just my opinion!
trina in brodhead

Macon, GA

#2 Jan 12, 2010
i dont understand that either two year ago the probation officers came to the rockcounty courthouse to see people so why did they quit that i mean they tell us we are not alowed in another county because we are convicted felons yet we have to travel tonother county to see them this is non sinse right.
METO

London, KY

#3 Jan 12, 2010
They just don't care! That is the answer. The probation/parole officers in Somerset do nothing to help the people that are assigned to them. They let the needle junkies walk free and do their drugs as long as they give them info on someone else and they don't even care whether it's true or not. Then they violate the ones who are really trying to do right for some stupid thing like smoking pot. Yeah they aren't supposed to be doing that but I would be more worried about the junkies that are stealing to get their drugs. But someone who works everyday and doesn't get into trouble ends up going back to prison. If they are gonna be that strict with one they should all
Observer

Crossett, AR

#4 Jan 12, 2010
I happen to agree with you (no, I am not a convicted felon) but let's look at reality for a moment. The reality is that the legal system is not a rehabilitation system. It is a prosecution and penalty system. The people who work in the law enforcement system pay their mortgages, buy their cars and send their kids to school because people break the law. Jailers get paid because people break the law. Prosecutors get paid because people break the law. Judges get paid because people break the law. So, in the classic conflict of interest scenario, what would be the incentive for people who thrive on your crime to work to make things easier for you to get your life together? The criminal justice system isn't invested in rehabilitation. It is invested in crime. So, what does that mean to you? It means that you are going to have to be resourceful and imaginative and figure out how to get things done. It makes all the sense in the world for probation officers to make themselves accessible but they don't get paid for accessibility. It makes all the sense in the world, for the general safety of the county, for the legal system to assist in eliminating crime by making basic services and opportunities available to those who really want to change but it's not in their economic interest for the legal system to act in your best interest. Until there is a process that makes rehabilitation an attainable objective in Rockcastle County, then you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. You made the decision to "do the crime", no one is to blame for that but you. But reality is that you are trying to work in a system that is stacked against you. Face it: preachers need sin; judges need court dockets; jailers need prisoners; law enforcement needs crime; probation officers need intimidation. Otherwise, who's gonna pay their bills?
you will never know

Lexington, KY

#5 Jan 12, 2010
I am sorry that some people have to drive to see their officers. But they are the ones that broke the law to begin with, so it should be on their heads to get where ever they need to go. Not the court system trying to work around for the person.
excuse me

Macon, GA

#6 Jan 12, 2010
you will never know wrote:
I am sorry that some people have to drive to see their officers. But they are the ones that broke the law to begin with, so it should be on their heads to get where ever they need to go. Not the court system trying to work around for the person.
Not everybody that goes to jail or prison are guilty! You must not understand there is still some out here that do not "RAT" their way out and some that do not tell to keep from getting others involved. So they take the rap themselves. And then again NOT ALL ARE GUILTY!! Some have no choice but to take the plea bargain they offer, due to the fact they do not have the money like the rich does! So there forth they do not have much of a chance like some to pay their way out!! So face it, just because they have done some time does not mean "ALL ARE GUILTY". Just because you think you or yours walk the straight and narrow does not mean anything. Like some, "JUST HAVE NOT GOT CAUGHT YET" I know alot that are guilty of alot of things that walk the streets everyday. And then i know some in jail who have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Does not mean they were guilty of anything! Spare Me!!
just sayin

United States

#7 Jan 12, 2010
Oh sorry , I thought this was another Mayor Kirby thread...........
Chris

Mount Vernon, KY

#8 Jan 12, 2010
well i know when ur a teen u have one cause when i was 16 i hit a guy that was over 18 for running his mouth and i got 4 degree assault and 6 month probation and 100$ worth of community servise and yes i know thats spelled wrong i cant think how to spell it, but anyway that was 4 almost 5 years ago so i dont know about now
Gotta agree

Kittanning, PA

#9 Jan 12, 2010
I've never done drugs, never had a charge on me of any kind, however, just because I have a heart for those who have, I must agree with some of these posts. People do make mistakes. Once they're made, there's nothing one can do to change whats been done. However, the one thing they can do is change their attitude toward their future and the decisions that will made. Now there lies the problem a large percentage of the time. Everyone should deserve a chance to prove themselves, however, in our society, certain charges are looked upon as worse than others. A drug charge is looked upon as worse than almost anything, regardless of whether that person has gotten treatment and come above that lifestyle or not. Its an unpardonable sin(as far as society goes). I'm not condoning it. Its very wrong, however, there's many who have had a history of short term drug abuse that have turned out to be the best employees on staff. That would have never been known had someone not taken that chance on them. When no one will give them a shot at proving themselves, now this is when their life becomes a downward spiral in which they cant overcome defeat and the feeling of hopelessness. Most of the time, they've beaten themselves up so badly that no one else needs to. The longer they go with being rejected from society, the worse their condition becomes. I encourage employers to take a risk. If they prove to be losers, then get rid of them, but they deserve a chance to prove themselves. You may be the very one that changes this person's life completely around and gives them a bright future.
Hmmm

London, KY

#10 Jan 12, 2010
Hmmmm
bull crap

Brodhead, KY

#11 Jan 13, 2010
if they had a job to get up to every morning like everyone else that pays taxes their sorry ass wouldnt have to worry about going to court an to a probation officer. ya old enough to know right from wrong.so why dont ya think about the next time ya sorry ass starts to do something wrong frigging think about it. dont get on here crying how am i going to get there i aint got the money. hell get a job keep ya sorry ass out of trouble and ya wont be in that damn shape.
Hazel

United States

#12 Sep 25, 2012
METO wrote:
They just don't care! That is the answer. The probation/parole officers in Somerset do nothing to help the people that are assigned to them. They let the needle junkies walk free and do their drugs as long as they give them info on someone else and they don't even care whether it's true or not. Then they violate the ones who are really trying to do right for some stupid thing like smoking pot. Yeah they aren't supposed to be doing that but I would be more worried about the junkies that are stealing to get their drugs. But someone who works everyday and doesn't get into trouble ends up going back to prison. If they are gonna be that strict with one they should all
Totally agree! My brother went over one klolopin yet dealers n meth heads go free it's sickening
in the know

United States

#13 Sep 27, 2012
dont worry convicted felons are going to be the
first ones sent to the femma concentration
camps soon
WHO GETS PAID

Greenbrier, AR

#14 Sep 27, 2012
Observer wrote:
I happen to agree with you (no, I am not a convicted felon) but let's look at reality for a moment. The reality is that the legal system is not a rehabilitation system. It is a prosecution and penalty system. The people who work in the law enforcement system pay their mortgages, buy their cars and send their kids to school because people break the law. Jailers get paid because people break the law. Prosecutors get paid because people break the law. Judges get paid because people break the law. So, in the classic conflict of interest scenario, what would be the incentive for people who thrive on your crime to work to make things easier for you to get your life together? The criminal justice system isn't invested in rehabilitation. It is invested in crime. So, what does that mean to you? It means that you are going to have to be resourceful and imaginative and figure out how to get things done. It makes all the sense in the world for probation officers to make themselves accessible but they don't get paid for accessibility. It makes all the sense in the world, for the general safety of the county, for the legal system to assist in eliminating crime by making basic services and opportunities available to those who really want to change but it's not in their economic interest for the legal system to act in your best interest. Until there is a process that makes rehabilitation an attainable objective in Rockcastle County, then you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. You made the decision to "do the crime", no one is to blame for that but you. But reality is that you are trying to work in a system that is stacked against you. Face it: preachers need sin; judges need court dockets; jailers need prisoners; law enforcement needs crime; probation officers need intimidation. Otherwise, who's gonna pay their bills?
WHO GETS PAID WHEN OUR PROSECUTORS BREAK THE LAW THEMSELVES? huh?..IT WOULD JUSTIFY ME JUST TO SEE THEM PUT AWAY THEMSELVES FOR 10 YEARS...Especially Rockcastle officials brought down hard by Federal Agents and prosecuted. I would love to read it soon.
Mee

London, KY

#15 Sep 28, 2012
ME TOO !!!
xxx

Cicero, IL

#16 Sep 28, 2012
Ain't it funny how EVERYBODY in jail, or has ever been to jail, is always innocent?
Mee

London, KY

#17 Sep 28, 2012
Some ARE !!!!
Watcher

Crossett, AR

#19 Nov 28, 2012
bumblebee wrote:
This is all very true I do feel bad for the ppl in rock that have to drive so far to see a officer, its ridiculous!! Bottom line the Somerset office does have a cpl good officers but Felicity & Jamie Brumley are completely out of line they take that job way to personal and pit ppl against each other to stay out of jail and its sickening..when you see you probation officer they should be helping you find a job and passing on information they are provided with to there clients instead of wanting to know who's cooking meth and who's shooting up, its a joke!! They need to seat helping these people and stop the bullshit, kids lives are at stake here this is true nonsense...
When it become a P/O's job to find employment for parolees? It may be a condition of parole to have a job. But the responsibility falls in the lap of the released offender. If they want info and you don't want to give it great, all you have to say is I don't go around those people anymore. After all you go around a barber shop enough you'll ends up with a hair cut. And as a paroled offender you are not supposed to be around those types to begin with. Tell them you don't see people shooting up or making drugs in church or your living room.
Wow

Berea, KY

#20 Nov 29, 2012
Omg, these ppl on here complaining would drive half way across the country for pills (Florida) but cry and whine b/c they have to drive 25 or 30 miles to see a probation officer. If u are seeing a probation or parole officer you are lucky your ass isn't in jail. Quit complaining and get your priorities straight!!! These officers are there to help ppl but one has to want and receive the help being offered.
have it your way

Pittston, PA

#21 Nov 1, 2014
Wow wrote:
Omg, these ppl on here complaining would drive half way across the country for pills (Florida) but cry and whine b/c they have to drive 25 or 30 miles to see a probation officer. If u are seeing a probation or parole officer you are lucky your ass isn't in jail. Quit complaining and get your priorities straight!!! These officers are there to help ppl but one has to want and receive the help being offered.
Old post but you got it. Some time in a real prison and they'd beg to be on paper. But the people on paper in KY forget its punitive and inconvenient purposely

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Vernon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Heather Mink 3 hr The Real Yeti 2
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 4 hr its like this 164,801
Hay peg 6 hr Ifsh 1
Source HOV who all is cheating on their partners? (Aug '15) 10 hr dude 11
Katie Mackey (Nov '15) 10 hr Fubar me 6
The Eastern Kentucky Chili Bun Trail: Snack Sha... 12 hr jim thompson 1
News Two Found Dead In Rockcastle Co. Home Were Murd... 12 hr Hmmmm 29

Mount Vernon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mount Vernon Mortgages