First Prev
of 2
Next Last
THECLOSER

Mount Sterling, KY

#1 Nov 3, 2012
How well did Montgomery County do compaired to other counties???
Now u know

Iva, SC

#2 Nov 3, 2012
THECLOSER wrote:
How well did Montgomery County do compaired to other counties???
Saw that the school system did very well with much gain from previous years.
THECLOSER

Mount Sterling, KY

#3 Nov 3, 2012
Numbers please....before and after...anyone got those?
Info

Georgetown, KY

#4 Nov 3, 2012
You can look at scores and state rankings by school and district at www.kentucky.com .
Info

Georgetown, KY

#5 Nov 3, 2012
District Rankings (out of 174 districts):

Montgomery: 47
Fayette: 54
Bourbon: 59
Clark: 70
Menifee: 118
Bath: 119
Powell: 128
Estill: 150
Paris Independent: 161
bugeye

Mount Sterling, KY

#6 Nov 3, 2012
Montgomery County

Montgomery County High School

55.7

58

Needs Improvement



High School

56.7 Courial Journal State schools database?
not top 10

Morehead, KY

#7 Nov 3, 2012
It is hard to judge because this is the first year of the new scoring system. Also, rankings are not what matters. The actual scores are.

As mentioned in a previous post, the high school is classified as "needs improvement".

The middle school is also classified as "needs improvement".(191/333).

So adding the intermediate school obviously hasn't worked. And the sterling school obviously hasn't worked, despite all the money that has been spent.

I'm still looking for a full record of the actual scores for each subject. But I do know that in English only 27% of students scored "proficient" or "distinguished". To be "proficient" you need to score 60% on the test. While 50% were "novice" (worst classification).

So Powell thinks that the middle school and high school "needing improvement" and a 50% outright failure rate on the English section of the test warrants an expensive public celebration that hurt local downtown businesses because their customers couldn't get to them because all the kids were crowding downtown (missing half a day of instruction in the process).

Tuesday is a big day for the future of Montgomery County and our children.
THECLOSER

Mount Sterling, KY

#8 Nov 3, 2012
With the firing and hiring process...i would like to know if the NEW teachers were the difference...if any...???????
Info

Georgetown, KY

#9 Nov 3, 2012
not top 10 wrote:
It is hard to judge because this is the first year of the new scoring system. Also, rankings are not what matters. The actual scores are.

As mentioned in a previous post, the high school is classified as "needs improvement".

The middle school is also classified as "needs improvement".(191/333).

So adding the intermediate school obviously hasn't worked. And the sterling school obviously hasn't worked, despite all the money that has been spent.

I'm still looking for a full record of the actual scores for each subject. But I do know that in English only 27% of students scored "proficient" or "distinguished". To be "proficient" you need to score 60% on the test. While 50% were "novice" (worst classification).

So Powell thinks that the middle school and high school "needing improvement" and a 50% outright failure rate on the English section of the test warrants an expensive public celebration that hurt local downtown businesses because their customers couldn't get to them because all the kids were crowding downtown (missing half a day of instruction in the process).

Tuesday is a big day for the future of Montgomery County and our children.
Exactly, one cannot accurately compare the prior year's numbers to those recently released for the 2011/2012 school year because the testing system was changed.

Based on the recently released numbers, it appears the elementary schools faired pretty well. Makes me wonder, if the middle and high school has performed better, where would MoCo's ranking be?

I am curious as to why you say the new Intermediate School isn't working? This school just opened in August and had no bearing on the recently released test scores.
beetle bailey

Mount Sterling, KY

#10 Nov 3, 2012
THECLOSER wrote:
With the firing and hiring process...i would like to know if the NEW teachers were the difference...if any...???????
Students were tested in May 2012, and the majority of the NEW teachers were hired in July or August, so no- they did not make s difference.
parent

Tampa, FL

#11 Nov 3, 2012
You all would complain if the ranked number 1. The kids work hard in school and it didn't hurt for them to go downtown for a few hours.
Cost

Lake Geneva, WI

#12 Nov 3, 2012
How much did all this cost the taxpayers, plus when it was over Powell along with several other staff members went into Terry & Kathy,s for lunch and charged it to the school account. OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK. Also when the cops came in he put their lunch on the school bill also. Is this legal?
Mason County

Owensboro, KY

#13 Nov 3, 2012
Cost wrote:
How much did all this cost the taxpayers, plus when it was over Powell along with several other staff members went into Terry & Kathy,s for lunch and charged it to the school account. OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK. Also when the cops came in he put their lunch on the school bill also. Is this legal?
The Board better keep up with the receipt.
School

Louisville, KY

#14 Nov 3, 2012
Montgomery co. 74
Info

Georgetown, KY

#15 Nov 3, 2012
School wrote:
Montgomery co. 74
??
Police

United States

#16 Nov 3, 2012
Cost wrote:
How much did all this cost the taxpayers, plus when it was over Powell along with several other staff members went into Terry & Kathy,s for lunch and charged it to the school account. OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK. Also when the cops came in he put their lunch on the school bill also. Is this legal?
The part about the cops is a complete lie. All police officers met at the police department for debriefing after the event as it is policy for them to do. I would suggest you word your statements with more care.
winner

Clay City, KY

#18 Nov 3, 2012
the test scores were great for Montgomery co. their will always be a few spin doctors trying to find any thing to complain about. always have & always will.
mom

United States

#19 Nov 3, 2012
I love Montgomery county schools
not top 10

Morehead, KY

#20 Nov 3, 2012
winner wrote:
the test scores were great for Montgomery co. their will always be a few spin doctors trying to find any thing to complain about. always have & always will.
Yeah, 18.8 on the ACT when the state average is 19.5, and national average is 21.1. What great scores!

And 50% "novice" (lowest ranking) in English even if you want to put your faith in the easily manipulated and invalid state test. What a great thing, 50% failed the test! But lets have an expensive public celebration and lose a half day of instructional time at that! What a pathetic attempt to try and save his puppet school board members come Tuesday.

By the way, it is "there" not "their". You must be a recent Union County graduate.
On the right track

Georgetown, KY

#21 Nov 3, 2012
The students of Montgomery County were so proud and were excited about the opportunity to go downtown and celebrate. The whole event was wonderful. I can't believe you would even question the fact that tax dollars were spent on such an important day for our kids. As for Powell and others eating lunch at Terry and Kathy's, I doubt very seriously that tax payers picked up the tab for that. This administration is above that. One has to wonder who it is that keeps posting all these lies. In my mind, it must be someone that is very bitter. It couldn't be someone with a child in Montgomery County Schools, because every parent wants what's best for their child. Our schools are finally headed in the right direction, so I smell a rat! Your lies will not bring this district down! We're moving on up!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Sterling Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
shawna and gerald culbertson 1 hr Yucks 3
Time for a new sheriff 10 hr Beth 40
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 12 hr Paul 170,593
Tony Garner Mobile Home Moving (Jan '09) 12 hr question 22
we now itís you 13 hr lol 17
Eric hall 19 hr Jimmy Snakes 21
News 985 Jobs To Come To Pikeville, Lexington 20 hr Jersey Mike 5

Mount Sterling Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mount Sterling Mortgages