Joshua Powell, Superintendent and law...
Pitiful

Richmond, KY

#127 Sep 27, 2012
You all sit here and whine and gripe, but choose to never show up to board meetings or do anything to voice your concerns publicly. You have to hide behind anonymity. Complaining on an internet forum is not having your voice heard. You are never going to be taken seriously here. If you really are so concerned, stand up and do something about it. It could be that you are so fueled on gossip that you are afraid you might find out the truth that there are good things being done in the district and be proven wrong.
Mommy

Richmond, KY

#128 Sep 27, 2012
I do go to the board meetings, IMO they all just went along in voting for this person, not based on any sound management practices that he has ever done. Now Pitiful why don't you just list up 5 ro 10 good things this person has done and drawing a check doesn't count
Pitiful

Richmond, KY

#129 Sep 27, 2012
Let's see, where to start? In the past year, the district has created a new alternative school for at-risk kids so they actually have a shot at graduating, started night classes so kids who had previously dropped out could come back and get their diplomas (and it's working!), started a new Chinese program so kids have the opportunity to learn more about the world they live in, and it's proven that learning a new language stimulates the brain, especially during those important periods of development, started testing kids on a weekly basis to make sure that they are actually comprehending the things they are being taught and that no kid gets left behind, is in the process of starting an accelerated school to give kids better options for math and science (Kentucky is one of the lowest performing states in these areas), given all staff a raise, which hadn't happened in many years and most other districts in the state could not do the same for their employees, expanded the number of kids that can be taken in at the preschool, allowing for more children to have access to early education, upgraded technology in nearly every school to ensure students have up-to-date and engaging learning tools, made people notice Montgomery County by bringing in people such as Jane Beshear and our state ed commissioner to talk to staff and make them feel appreciated... should I continue? Maybe if you had opportunities like this in school you'd be smart enough to realize not to believe all the negative things you hear. Pay attention and get involved. Be a volunteer, speak at board meetings, offer your time or opinions on what could be done to make the district better. Don't blindly complain. It's unattractive.
LOL

Lexington, KY

#130 Sep 27, 2012
Pitiful wrote:
Let's see, where to start? In the past year, the district has created a new alternative school for at-risk kids so they actually have a shot at graduating, started night classes so kids who had previously dropped out could come back and get their diplomas (and it's working!), started a new Chinese program so kids have the opportunity to learn more about the world they live in, and it's proven that learning a new language stimulates the brain, especially during those important periods of development, started testing kids on a weekly basis to make sure that they are actually comprehending the things they are being taught and that no kid gets left behind, is in the process of starting an accelerated school to give kids better options for math and science (Kentucky is one of the lowest performing states in these areas), given all staff a raise, which hadn't happened in many years and most other districts in the state could not do the same for their employees, expanded the number of kids that can be taken in at the preschool, allowing for more children to have access to early education, upgraded technology in nearly every school to ensure students have up-to-date and engaging learning tools, made people notice Montgomery County by bringing in people such as Jane Beshear and our state ed commissioner to talk to staff and make them feel appreciated... should I continue? Maybe if you had opportunities like this in school you'd be smart enough to realize not to believe all the negative things you hear. Pay attention and get involved. Be a volunteer, speak at board meetings, offer your time or opinions on what could be done to make the district better. Don't blindly complain. It's unattractive.
The alternative school isn't working very well and it certainly isn't cost effective for what it delivers. There have been night classes available for a long time regionally for drop outs to get their diploma/GED. The Chinese program is short term and it makes no sense to have it in the high school when research shows people learn languages best the younger they are. He should know that he has a PhD which is supposed to be a research degree. Staff got a raise because that means he also gets one. Technology hasn't been upgraded well, some teachers still have CRT monitors. And upgrading technology is always a continual thing in every district. Bringing in Beshear and Holliday just proves how much of a politician he is and not an educator.
Mommy

Richmond, KY

#131 Sep 27, 2012
Don't blindly polish the super's boots and you can maybe become attractive. I donot understand getting in line to polish a person't shoes. Not hjaving said that,this person hasn't done one thing that is in a progressive way, same old coddling of a super few that will polish his shoes for him. Tell hiom to do something constructive for the kids for a change.
Pitiful

Richmond, KY

#134 Sep 27, 2012
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
The alternative school isn't working very well and it certainly isn't cost effective for what it delivers. There have been night classes available for a long time regionally for drop outs to get their diploma/GED. The Chinese program is short term and it makes no sense to have it in the high school when research shows people learn languages best the younger they are. He should know that he has a PhD which is supposed to be a research degree. Staff got a raise because that means he also gets one. Technology hasn't been upgraded well, some teachers still have CRT monitors. And upgrading technology is always a continual thing in every district. Bringing in Beshear and Holliday just proves how much of a politician he is and not an educator.
How do you know the alternative school isn't working or how cost effective it is? It's surely better than sticking those kids in a trailer and letting them play board games and do worksheets all day until they drop out, which is pretty much how the Central School ran. And Chinese is in the elementary school, not the high school. And regardless of what you say, politics play a giant part in education. After all, the public school system is a product of the government, so making the district stand out to state leaders is a good thing. And so what if he got a raise too? Are you saying the only reason raises are ever given is for the benefit of the boss? It helps everyone. I'm not saying the district is perfect and everything is being done just right, but really that those who complain need to try to change the way things are going if they don't like it and become involved (attend board meetings, contact your board members and school leaders, volunteer their time) instead of being hateful and thinking everyone has some kind of hidden agenda. But honestly, I don't even know why I'm wasting my time. Those who complain will always do so and do nothing to try and change anything, with the exception of gossiping and name calling.
LOL

Lexington, KY

#135 Sep 27, 2012
Pitiful wrote:
those who complain need to try to change the way things are going if they don't like it and become involved (attend board meetings, contact your board members and school leaders, volunteer their time) instead of being hateful and thinking everyone has some kind of hidden agenda. But honestly, I don't even know why I'm wasting my time. Those who complain will always do so and do nothing to try and change anything, with the exception of gossiping and name calling.
I have contacted the board members, those phony Christians don't care what the community thinks. They are so arrogant. Criticizing isn't being hateful, it is calling a spade a spade. This superintendent does have an agenda, and it isn't about the kids. He brown noses with politicians because it will help him work up the ladder to one day become state commish of education. He's made it clear to staff that that is his goal and Montgomery County is just a stepping stone for him, contrary to what he lied to the paper last year when he got hired that he wanted this to be his last job.

The results of all the firing, intimidation, and spending are in: ACT scores went up 0.2 points, the same as the state average. And the total is still below the state average. His history shows he makes the most progress in his first year, so expect this to be as good as it gets as long as this superintendent is still around. You are obviously OK with below average for the children of our community.

Time for a new Board. The Board and others who continue to support this superintendent continue to support failure. It makes it worse that his failure has come at the expense of many of our neighbors and friends who have been either fired or chose to leave because of how school employees are not treated.
Mommy

Richmond, KY

#136 Sep 27, 2012
His results are beginning to show and they aren't good, he needs to be fired and every board member that voted for him should not be re=elected. Some of them aren't even going to run because of the very bad choices that they have made. I sure hope they repent before it is everlastingly too late. If they don't have the moral fiber to make good honest judgements they why should they be re-elected.
Good Job Powell

Mount Sterling, KY

#137 Sep 27, 2012
At least he got rid of Mary Beasley and Alice Anderson.
Lets All Play Nice

Georgetown, KY

#138 Sep 27, 2012
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for taking the time to clarify what is truly going on in this school district. I'm a parent of a child who attends an elementary school in this district. I'm more than impressed with the quality of education my child is receiving in Montgomery County. Guess what, her teacher is a new hire, too. My child comes home talking about using the Smart Board during class, can't wait to sing the new Chinese songs she's learning at school, and is begin pushed to her fullest potential academically. I will be honest, I considered sending her to private school before Josh Powell became Superintendent. Once changes began taking place in the schools, I was convinced that my child would be in great hands. I, too, attend Board Meetings. I applaud the Board members for having the courage to hire someone from outside the community whose vision included plans that were once thought unattainable in Montgomery County. Our students deserve the very best in every aspect of education, and I believe that Josh Powell is striving to make that happen. Personally, I have no worries about the upcoming elections. I know the people of Montgomery County will cast their votes in the best interest of children. Question, why is it that we are so afraid of change? We fear the unknown, that's why. Mr. Powell must deliver on the promises he has made, and I think he will. It may not happen overnight, but he is a man driven by improved student achievement, so I know it will happen. Our kids are counting on the teachers and the leaders in this school district to make their futures better.
Mommy

Richmond, KY

#139 Sep 27, 2012
He has a track record and it isn't good.
LOL

Lexington, KY

#140 Sep 27, 2012
Lets All Play Nice wrote:
Question, why is it that we are so afraid of change? We fear the unknown, that's why. Mr. Powell must deliver on the promises he has made, and I think he will. It may not happen overnight, but he is a man driven by improved student achievement, so I know it will happen.
No one is afraid of change if it is for the better. Powell fired dozens of people. Drove out dozens more. Has coerced many more. Has spent like a drunken sailor ($100k McNabb principal,$200k basketball coach, failing sterling school, etc.). You better turn things around drastically and quickly when you make moves like that. Well, the results on student learning based on an objective and widely respected measure of student learning, the ACT, are in: he has failed. Yet you refuse to look at that objective measure of learning, and blindly follow.

Powell is driven by a district's state ranking on the state tests and the other criteria they use, by any means necessary including cheating (one of 20 things the OEA two years ago reported he did illegally in Union County). And make no mistake, Montgomery County will go up in the state rankings because of the excellent career readiness agriculture program we have and have had, which is now a major part of what goes into the rankings (it wasn't before). Powell did his homework on this district before he came to make sure he would look good based on those rankings. He couldn't care less about actual student learning.

I too have little doubt voters will do what is best for our children and vote out the incumbent board members and vote in people who will replace this superintendent.
look

Lexington, KY

#141 Sep 29, 2012
School districts with such high turn over are not good learning climates. Consistency is needed, not arrogance.
Hmmm

United States

#142 Oct 30, 2012
Hhmm
not top 10

Owingsville, KY

#143 Oct 30, 2012
Hmmm wrote:
Hhmm
A good time to bring this thread back up.
Hmmm

United States

#144 Oct 30, 2012
not top 10 wrote:
<quoted text>
A good time to bring this thread back up.
I was unable to locate the thread where the school board member was arguing over playing on the alumni football team and gave out his phone number. That one was a hoot!
Simple

United States

#145 Oct 31, 2012
Sounds like "pitiful " is high on defending Powell , Calm down Carter ...
Simple

United States

#146 Oct 31, 2012
Good Job Powell wrote:
At least he got rid of Mary Beasley and Alice Anderson.
Of all the a.. Kissers in that system , you name these two.? For one Beasley knew her job , and so did Anderson ,,, both of these two did a wonderful job ! They both were hard workers doing a job they were paid to do , AS Powell stated which shows his true character " the lowest paid employes making. 9 to 10 dollars an hour " can't expect much.? Any person to say that about his employees is pretty low....that for one is our tax dollars plus these employees have benefits that make up for a lot of pay , he quotes this statement to the public . I know I was taught to do my job the best I could and take pride in my work , and to respect everyone's jobs , it takes every job to run a system , But to demeanor by pay scale is horrible to the hard workers we are blessed with.. His followers , the club ... Have forgot where they came from , too ever think this is acceptable from a leader that is over paid him his self ,
Shameful

United States

#147 Oct 31, 2012
While sitting here reading the paper why would the superintendent have a community celebration at the same time our community will be saying goodby to a great person that put in 28 years give or take to the school system? RIP Steve Goodpaster.
not top 10

Lexington, KY

#148 Oct 31, 2012
Shameful wrote:
While sitting here reading the paper why would the superintendent have a community celebration at the same time our community will be saying goodby to a great person that put in 28 years give or take to the school system? RIP Steve Goodpaster.

Because with Powell, it is all about himself and making sure he puts on an elaborate show.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Sterling Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
gnc (Dec '09) 9 min Gerald 10
Ghostbusters mass hysteria ambulance 11 min WTF 1
Phil Rison (Dec '14) 14 min Anna 3,431
Do people REALLY understand the damage a lie or... 21 min sad 6
Amber Rowe 1 hr Annie 10
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr Traveler 149,020
what happen to her? 3 hr Seriously though 7

Mount Sterling Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mount Sterling Mortgages