Joshua Powell, Superintendent and law...
Sameolesamele

Owensboro, KY

#87 Sep 22, 2012
ACT scores are in, but nobody is talking about them. Why? State avg. in 2011 was 18.8, and state avg. rose in 2012 to 19.0. Montogomery County was 18.5 in 2011, and rose to 18.8 in 2012.

I guess you can call year 1 of the dramatic transformation a push, since Montogomery improved about the same as every other distric in the state.

Wonder if all the shake up and spending has been worth it?
answered

Lexington, KY

#88 Sep 22, 2012
Sameolesamele wrote:
ACT scores are in, but nobody is talking about them. Why? State avg. in 2011 was 18.8, and state avg. rose in 2012 to 19.0. Montogomery County was 18.5 in 2011, and rose to 18.8 in 2012.
I guess you can call year 1 of the dramatic transformation a push, since Montogomery improved about the same as every other distric in the state.
Wonder if all the shake up and spending has been worth it?
Your last sentence you answered with your first paragraph. The second paragraph is just not quite the right conclusion. All the spending, firing people, creating an environment of fear and intimidation that drove our dozens of good teachers and makes the remaining ones hate their job, most certainly was not worth it based on the improvement being on average the same as every other district. It also shouldn't be overlooked that the ACT scores for MC are still below the state average. So much for "top 10" that he said would happen.

In the state rankings MC will improve because the state is changing how they are ranking districts, now giving a ton of weight to "career readiness" of which MC has for a long time had great agriculture and tech ed programs. But the ACT scores show that actual learning has not improved as a result of the superintendent's policies and changes.

Time to vote for a new board in November.
We will see

Richmond, KY

#89 Sep 22, 2012
Test results are NOT everything. While they are important, the most important thing is that our kids are showing progress on the standards they are expected to master. That is happening. How did I know that the first "reason" for test scores going up in MoCo would be that the state is changing the way they report. You people kill me. One excuse is better than none, I guess? Go on making your excuses, hating the Superintendent, taking up for teachers who were released because they were doing their jobs, and the rest of us will stay focused on the important thing...our students. I wouldn't dare go back to the way things were. No way! No how! The changes going on in Montgomery County will one day make a difference for all students in KY. You'll see.
your excuses

Lexington, KY

#90 Sep 22, 2012
We will see wrote:
Test results are NOT everything. While they are important, the most important thing is that our kids are showing progress on the standards they are expected to master. That is happening. How did I know that the first "reason" for test scores going up in MoCo would be that the state is changing the way they report. You people kill me. One excuse is better than none, I guess? Go on making your excuses, hating the Superintendent, taking up for teachers who were released because they were doing their jobs, and the rest of us will stay focused on the important thing...our students. I wouldn't dare go back to the way things were. No way! No how! The changes going on in Montgomery County will one day make a difference for all students in KY. You'll see.
I have news for you: the ACT matters a lot more to colleges and everyone else that isn't a superintendent in KY than the dumb KATS tests (and those scores aren't even in yet, so you can't say they are "mastering" the "standards"). But the results are in on the ACT: Powell has failed. For all his spending, firing, and intimidation, the results are not what he promised they'd be. His record is that he makes the most improvement in the first year, then things go back down because of many good teachers leaving and being replaced by new grads that are just happy to have a job (18% first and second year teachers in Union County his last year, when the state average is 2%). He didn't even improve ACT scores to AVERAGE in his first year and that was with the better, more experienced, teachers still around. Expect worse next year.

You seem focused on making excuses for the failed superintendent instead of focusing on the students and what is best for them. And voting out all the incumbents on the Board and voting in people who will put this superintendent in his place is what is best for the students.
We will see

Richmond, KY

#91 Sep 22, 2012
My interest is in the students of Montgomery County. My child is one of those students, and I expect the absolute very best for her. Mediocracy was once the norm in Mont. Co. That is no longer the case. Yes, maybe the Principals and SBDMs have hired young teachers. Did you ever stop to think that those young teachers are more passionate, more innovative, and more knowledgeable? In years past, our students have been bored out of their minds. Read the text. Answer the quetions. Sit in your chair and be compliant. We need fresh ideas. We need new passionate employees who are willing to think outside the box and teach the students in ways they will learn best. Sit and get no longer works. I'm sorry. It just doesn't.
your excuses

Lexington, KY

#92 Sep 22, 2012
We will see wrote:
My interest is in the students of Montgomery County. My child is one of those students, and I expect the absolute very best for her. Mediocracy was once the norm in Mont. Co. That is no longer the case. Yes, maybe the Principals and SBDMs have hired young teachers. Did you ever stop to think that those young teachers are more passionate, more innovative, and more knowledgeable? In years past, our students have been bored out of their minds. Read the text. Answer the quetions. Sit in your chair and be compliant. We need fresh ideas. We need new passionate employees who are willing to think outside the box and teach the students in ways they will learn best. Sit and get no longer works. I'm sorry. It just doesn't.
Keep making excuses for Powell's failure to deliver when the facts of ACT scores are right in front of you. Being mediocre by definition means below average. MC ACT scores are still BELOW average for the state. This is not surprising, since it was also that way for Union County during his tenure there.

As for the teachers, you've apparently not been in the schools. First, don't think that Powell himself isn't involved with every new hire. Second, most of the new teachers are clueless. While many new teachers have good ideas, they have no clue how to implement them. Their classroom management is poor. It takes a new teacher 2+ years for them to figure things out. But they are obedient, either out of ignorance or fear, and that is all Powell cares about. Meanwhile, good teachers, including for one the district's special ed teacher of the year, didn't want to put up with how employees are treated anymore and left for better districts. You probably consider losing good teachers like that a good thing, so long as your Dear Leader gets to keep putting on a good show by bringing in a $200k a year basketball recruiter, I mean coach, and bringing in the gov's wife and state commish of education to speak, and going on conferences literally all over the world on the taxpayer's dime.
Prediction

Owensboro, KY

#93 Sep 23, 2012
I predict KATS will show improvement when released next month. That's why Powell gets awards, but I put the weight on the ACT.

ACT scores are hard to coach and cheating is tough.(Cheat and you'll get caught,Perry County?)

Not the same with KATS. KY mainly relied on whistle blowers until recently. But better monitoring has shown KATS has problems. According to the OEA/Legislative Research Report issued last November, 25 unnamed schools may have been involved in questionable scores.

In a small elementary school or middle school, it only takes one or two staff members that coach, cheat or change answers, and the school can soar. With more grade levels being scored, it's going to be harder to manipulate the scores. Still, I read where one Ky school jumped 200 spots in the state ranking last year. Really? We should see more reflective scores with the new testing system, but the OEA/Legislative Research Report on testing security wasn't 63 pages because everything has been on the up and up state wide.

What we learned from Atlanta and DC is that if you put job security pressure on teachers based solely on elementary and middle test scores, those scores will increase, but so will manipulation.

Until KATS is monitered like the ACT or SAT, improvement is just something to consider. If the ACT or SAT scores jump, somebody is doing something right!

We will see

Versailles, KY

#94 Sep 23, 2012
I'm not saying that ACT isn't important. I know the importance that ACT holds, as that's how our kids get into the best universities. I predict that our ACT scores will improve this year, simply because teachers aren't sitting with 30 students in a class. That will have a huge impact. Teachers have more time to devote to individual students. Secondly, the new Principal at MCHS is on top of things. He is in those classrooms daily, so the teachers have no choice but to be "teaching." For your information, I have been in all the schools, including the new one. I realize it takes new teachers some time to get things under control, but from what I see, they're already there. I applaud the people involved with the new hires, because they landed some quality people. As for traveling the "world" going to conferences on tax payers' money, you have to see the best to be the best.
really

Mount Sterling, KY

#95 Sep 23, 2012
my child had been in the advanced classes and now that they no longer exist..she has been placed in groups with kids that expect her to do all of the work and them be rewarded. so if peer teaching was their goal they had made a huge mistake. she doesn't want to even go to school anymore because she is bored and is constantly doing work for others. i do not blame any of the teachers but the system.
We will see

Georgetown, KY

#96 Sep 23, 2012
@really-

I hope and pray that you are making your concerns known to the building administrators and teachers. That is NOT what students need. No child should be placed in the position of being the "teacher" of other students all the time. Sounds like the teacher you are talking about needs a good dose of what differentiation should look like. Don't sit back and allow this to continue. Make your voice heard. I would take my concerns to the Principal and teacher tomorrow.
your excuses

Lexington, KY

#97 Sep 23, 2012
Prediction wrote:
I predict KATS will show improvement when released next month. That's why Powell gets awards, but I put the weight on the ACT.
ACT scores are hard to coach and cheating is tough.(Cheat and you'll get caught,Perry County?)
Not the same with KATS. KY mainly relied on whistle blowers until recently. But better monitoring has shown KATS has problems. According to the OEA/Legislative Research Report issued last November, 25 unnamed schools may have been involved in questionable scores.
In a small elementary school or middle school, it only takes one or two staff members that coach, cheat or change answers, and the school can soar. With more grade levels being scored, it's going to be harder to manipulate the scores. Still, I read where one Ky school jumped 200 spots in the state ranking last year. Really? We should see more reflective scores with the new testing system, but the OEA/Legislative Research Report on testing security wasn't 63 pages because everything has been on the up and up state wide.
What we learned from Atlanta and DC is that if you put job security pressure on teachers based solely on elementary and middle test scores, those scores will increase, but so will manipulation.
Until KATS is monitered like the ACT or SAT, improvement is just something to consider. If the ACT or SAT scores jump, somebody is doing something right!
Excellent post. It fits right in to the discussion. One of the 20 OEA accusations against Powell in Union County was that he fudged KATS test scores. And and a secretary took the fall for him. Powell = fail when he can't cheat.
your excuses

Lexington, KY

#98 Sep 23, 2012
We will see wrote:
I'm not saying that ACT isn't important. I know the importance that ACT holds, as that's how our kids get into the best universities. I predict that our ACT scores will improve this year, simply because teachers aren't sitting with 30 students in a class. That will have a huge impact. Teachers have more time to devote to individual students. Secondly, the new Principal at MCHS is on top of things.
So if you see the importance of ACT scores, why are you giving Powell a pass for the lack of improvement? Again, you haven't been in the schools if you don't think many classes still aren't 30 kids. Some are approaching 40. The 20:1 thing is a nothing more than a PR stunt. The new principal at the high school is making a good first impression.
your excuses

Lexington, KY

#99 Sep 23, 2012
We will see wrote:
@really-
I hope and pray that you are making your concerns known to the building administrators and teachers. That is NOT what students need. No child should be placed in the position of being the "teacher" of other students all the time. Sounds like the teacher you are talking about needs a good dose of what differentiation should look like. Don't sit back and allow this to continue. Make your voice heard. I would take my concerns to the Principal and teacher tomorrow.
Stop putting it on the teacher and blame Powell for taking away the advanced classes. THAT is the problem. A teacher can't teach 24 kids that need 8 different levels of instruction to be challenged. Powell just cares about bringing up the bad studens to "proficient" on the KATS test. He couldn't give two $h!ts about challenging the advanced students, because hey already score well on KATS. The taking away of advanced classes is a direct result of his philosophy and career aspirations of being state commish.
really

Mount Sterling, KY

#100 Sep 23, 2012
not sure how the "bad" students will get a proficient on the kats test if they are cheating off of one student everyday. it doesn't make sense to me why this is being done. my child said she is in groups in all of her classes and she does the majority of the work in all of them. the advanced kids are carrying the other students in these groups and that will only help their grades not their tests scores.
beetle bailey

United States

#101 Sep 23, 2012
First of all, there hasn't been KATS testing for several years. It was called KCCT, but even that was changed with Senate Bill 1; the tests are now created by Pearson Educational Services and the testing system is called K-PREP, except at the high school level where only the students in four classes (Algebra 2, English 2, Biology, US History) are tested along, it's called EOC which stands for End of Course. Sophomores and juniors are also tested for writing. Also the sophomores take the PLAN test and juniors take the ACT.
We will see

Langley, KY

#102 Sep 23, 2012
I give up people. You can't fix ignorant. If you're that unhappy, PLEASE take your kids elsewhere. Bath, Clark or Menifee will gladly accept your child's ADA money.
OMG

Riverside, IL

#103 Sep 23, 2012
We will see wrote:
I give up people. You can't fix ignorant. If you're that unhappy, PLEASE take your kids elsewhere. Bath, Clark or Menifee will gladly accept your child's ADA money.
Is this anything a educator of MC should be saying? I thought it was all about the students of MC. Now you are saying we need to take our kids out of this county to get an education. NOT VERY PROFESSIONAL, show what kind of leaders we have.
your excuses

Lexington, KY

#104 Sep 23, 2012
We will see wrote:
You are right, you can't fix ignorant. Only some are intentionally ignorant of reality. Powell fired nearly every administrator in the schools. He is spending like a drunken sailor ($200k a year basketball coach as one example). He "leads" by intimidation and fear. He has taken away many advanced classes, leaving behind many bored kids. He has driven out dozens of good teachers (two more this week resigned, and they were true resignations, not "resignations") and other employees, from the bus garage to the lunch room. When you do all that, the turnaround better be quick and dramatic. It has been neither.

He promised Top 10. The ACT scores are in, and those are a good measure of learning and competitiveness of students. They raised the same as the state average, and are still below the state average. So much for Top 10. His history says scores will get worse, not better, the longer he is around.

Powell failed. This isn't a surprise to those of us who paid attention to what he did in Union County. He has just done what he did there, only put it on steriods. Anyone who still defends him, especially if they are a parent, deserves for their kids to receive the education they'll get so long as he is in charge. It would be great if parents could simply take their kids wherever they wanted, but to do that you have to physically move your residence. It is a shame the education of so many is being sacrificed for the personal agenda of one person.
your excuses

Lexington, KY

#105 Sep 23, 2012
OMG wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this anything a educator of MC should be saying? I thought it was all about the students of MC. Now you are saying we need to take our kids out of this county to get an education. NOT VERY PROFESSIONAL, show what kind of leaders we have.
Time for new leadership. The elections need to establish the new leadership so at the very least the board will stop being complicit in advancing the personal agenda of the superintendent.
really

Mount Sterling, KY

#106 Sep 23, 2012
I shouldn't have to take my child to another town to get an education. Obviously my child is doing the work for others and that seems to be okay with our school system. I do not blame teachers because from what I understand Mr Powell visits the classes his kids are in and they better be up to par but for the rest of us, our kids are dummied up and allowing others to claim their work. It's ridiculous. This is such a small town and if you rock the boat, I feel my child may pay for it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Sterling Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pretty brunette 1 hr Saw it 7
Taylor Spears 1 hr Big Dad 16
best tanning bed in town ?? 2 hr BBB 1
head start assistant arrested 4 hr Curiosity 2
kristina HICKs 8 hr oh well 3
Cold case opening up....Peggy Caudill (May '11) 10 hr Remembers 16
Hilary Martin 10 hr not a clue 7

Mount Sterling Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance