Joshua Powell, Superintendent and law...
bewarekentucky

Dubuque, IA

#44 Jul 3, 2012
Just a FYI, you cannot imagine what is coming your way. It appears that your wonderful Josh Powell has seen to it that the new hire Jim Dusso from Minnesota, is a carbon copy of himself. Dusso is a convicted criminal and a egomaniac as well. God help you in Kentucky.
doubt

United States

#45 Jul 3, 2012
I hate to see idiots running this county school system as much as anyone when I've seen so many great people in my life come and go. Im going to need more info before I believe the new guy is a criminal though.
doubtful

Clifty, KY

#47 Jul 4, 2012
bewarekentucky wrote:
Just a FYI, you cannot imagine what is coming your way. It appears that your wonderful Josh Powell has seen to it that the new hire Jim Dusso from Minnesota, is a carbon copy of himself. Dusso is a convicted criminal and a egomaniac as well. God help you in Kentucky.
I am interested in views from his old district and any violations of state education laws, but not sure about whether he's a criminal. I ran the name Dusso on Minnesota's public record search, and a James Edward Dusso does have a criminal conviction. If it's the same person, he was convicted of forgery charges back in the early 1990s, and also had a DUI charge reduced to reckless driving around the same time. He was fined, placed on probation, and had to pay restitution to the victim. Also, some traffic violations popped up. Is this the same person and conviction you speak of? If it is, I couldn't really hold something this minor from 20 years ago against him. I don't think the state would grant him an administrative certificate if he had anything serious such as a felony or assault in his background.
Tina

Mount Sterling, KY

#48 Jul 5, 2012
Chances are Mrs. Kristy Carter deserves the position she is in. Mr. Powell is doing his JOB. If it was someone else you people would be picking them apart too. Mgive him a chance!
Thehardfacts

Dubuque, IA

#49 Jul 6, 2012
@Doubtful-

The fact that Dusso has been convicted of a crime forgery makes him a criminal. While we tend to dismiss things like multiple speeding tickets and DWIs,this was hardly a case of "it could happen to anybody." Stealing money? Not what I'd call a "minor" crime. Dusso deliberately withheld insurance premium checks from a customer (he was an insurance agent at the time) and cashed them at the bank, claiming the customer was waiting for him in the car. He planned it, he executed it, and he was eventually charged with the crime, which today would be a felony. If nothing else, that speaks to me of poor character, even if it was 20 years ago. Once again, this wasn't an "accidental" crime; it was premeditated, and it was well-dressed thuggery. He's since been accused of stealing a large amount of money ($10,000+)from the liquor distributor he worked for they fired him for his questionable tactics, but declined to have him charged criminally for reasons of their own. His leadership style sounds similar to that of Mr. Powell: He's a bully,he's a manipulator and he's the perpetual victim if things don't go his way, or he gets caught in his underhanded schemes. Under his reign, school board meetings in this tiny town (pop. 600),regularly drew more than 75 people. When it became evident the people would not look the other way at his leadership tactics, he immediately recommended a no-comment policy at the board meetings. He literally called law enforcement to forcibly remove those who dared to speak out at the meetings. Police presence was there three months in a row, until the new school board president told Dusso he was no longer in charge. Jim Dusso drove out good, valued teachers and allowed free reign to the select few who followed him. He made arbitrary decisions about school-wide issues, he was completely unqualified for the job (he received his license AFTER he was appointed supt.), and he lied and manipulated his way through an entire chaotic year. He got the job as principal in the Lyle School District when the former superintendent hired him, purposely and intentionally concealing Dusso's criminal past from the hiring committee. That superintendent left in the middle of the year when that information became public and residents were incensed by the fact. Test scores WERE up, but Dusso also incorrectly labeled students to skew the results. The state eventually discovered it ~ of course, THAT wasn't his fault, either. It's not hard to have passing grades when you're a lily-white, middle-class district with about 200 students, K-12. With incorrectly-grouped students. He left in his wake a complete mess of the transportation department, the finances and other legalities including multiple illegal union moves. The union rep for the teachers said he'd never seen anyone so deceptive or narcissistic in his multiple years as a teacher, then as a union rep. Of course, Dusso has a few supporters; the majority of the teachers at the K-12 school "supported" him, because they knew they'd be at risk of losing their jobs, or at the very least enduring a hostile work environment. I speak for so many people who are more than happy that he's gone; he drove a wedge into this community and decimated many lives and reputations without an ounce of remorse. I feel bad that he'll be wreaking havoc on another school and more innocent people, but in all honesty, we're very grateful he isn't doing it here anymore. Good luck, and remember to watch your back very carefully!
NASD

Bowling Green, KY

#50 Jul 8, 2012
This alert was listed by the National Association of Security Dealers (NASD) in 1992. Its the licensing body for stockbrokers and investment advisors.

"James Edward Dusso (Registered Representative, Rochester, Minnesota)submitted an Offer of Settlement pursuant to which he was fined $1000 and barred from association with any member of the NASD in any capacity."

Is this the same person who was just hired as principal, or do they just have the same name? A criminal conviction and being barred from the securities industry should be required to be disclosed on his application under moral fitness and character. Did the SBDM committee even know this? Being barred from the securities industry IN ANY CAPACITY is a BIG DEAL.
winner

Mount Sterling, KY

#51 Jul 8, 2012
NASD wrote:
This alert was listed by the National Association of Security Dealers (NASD) in 1992. Its the licensing body for stockbrokers and investment advisors.

"James Edward Dusso (Registered Representative, Rochester, Minnesota)submitted an Offer of Settlement pursuant to which he was fined $1000 and barred from association with any member of the NASD in any capacity."

Is this the same person who was just hired as principal, or do they just have the same name? A criminal conviction and being barred from the securities industry should be required to be disclosed on his application under moral fitness and character. Did the SBDM committee even know this? Being barred from the securities industry IN ANY CAPACITY is a BIG DEAL.
Well guys we have a winner on our hands. The kids should benefit from this one.
documentedinfo

Dubuque, IA

#52 Jul 8, 2012
Oh its the same guy alright, and chances are, by the sound of how Powell does things - your hiring committee knew nothing of Dusso's past. Birds of a feather....
Make no mistake,the children will suffer for this decision. Our sympathy and prayers go out to you and the people of Mount Sterling KY.
same old

Lexington, KY

#53 Jul 8, 2012
documentedinfo wrote:
Oh its the same guy alright, and chances are, by the sound of how Powell does things - your hiring committee knew nothing of Dusso's past. Birds of a feather....
Make no mistake,the children will suffer for this decision. Our sympathy and prayers go out to you and the people of Mount Sterling KY.
If he turns out to be a menace to the teachers and students, he will have a short tenure just like he did in MN. Powell will be out after the November elections for new school board members, and this guy will go with him if he turns out to be a bad hire. But shame on the site based council for not doing their homework, or if they did their homework for hiring a guy with his past. Not worth taking the chance. They will also lose their positions on the council next year if this guy turns out to be as bad as in MN.
Problems

United States

#54 Jul 8, 2012
I don't believe for a minute that every classroom in MoCo will be 20:1 ratio. Ask to see the board approved staffing policy that must be sent to KDE
yes

Lexington, KY

#55 Jul 9, 2012
Problems wrote:
I don't believe for a minute that every classroom in MoCo will be 20:1 ratio. Ask to see the board approved staffing policy that must be sent to KDE
No way 20:1 happens in all classes, you're right. This will include special ed classes with 4-5 kids. The four subjects of math, english, social studies, and science will probably be around 20 or a little more. But music, art, physical education, home economics, etc. will all be 30+ still.
Did their work

Hopkins, MN

#56 Jul 9, 2012
@same old:

Multiple people in Dusso's last district received phone calls to check his references. At least two of the people minced no words, telling the secretary (high school secretary, maybe?) exactly what kind of havoc Dusso wreaked in the school.

Unfortunately, the site-based council WAS warned at least if the information was passed on by the woman who called us.

Looking the other way is worse than ignorance, I think. Like the others from here in Minnesota who have commented, I certainly feel sorry for your district.

Good luck.
Taxpayer

Bowling Green, KY

#57 Jul 10, 2012
Don't understand making risky decisions with taxpayer money. Principals need outstanding leadership and fiscal abilities. Reports on here and the news articles shows many up north had questions on the leadership side. What really worries me is that at some point in his life he was in a position of financial trust, came to some kind of cross roads and made a criminal decision with someone else's money, and was barred from being in that position again. Now, this school district has placed in a position of finacial trust again with taxpayer money. Why take such a risk? If the SBDM committee saw something great in him, give him a job as a teacher or lower level administrition like an instructional coach, and give him a few years to prove himself trustworthy, but why start him in the top management position in the high school. I just can't believe there were no strong candidates out there, especially ones without so much that needs to be proven. Don't agree with it, but I understand the shake things up philosophy with the new superintedent. But this was a decision I really don't understand at all.
none better

Lexington, KY

#58 Jul 10, 2012
Taxpayer wrote:
I just can't believe there were no strong candidates out there, especially ones without so much that needs to be proven. Don't agree with it, but I understand the shake things up philosophy with the new superintedent. But this was a decision I really don't understand at all.
There were only 6 candidates for the HS principal job. Noone wants to work for Powell. You will be treated worse than dirt and have no job security. Everyone in KY knows it and those with talent go elsewhere. Almost a dozen people turned down the baseball coaching job because they didn't want to work here, and the only guy who would take it is a zero-experience coach from out of state. There are few options for filling positions in this school district now with the reputation it has, so they take who they can get.
documentedinfo

Dubuque, IA

#59 Jul 13, 2012
Sounds like Dusso and Powell where a match made in Hell, which explains why he was hired. Hopefully, you will be able to get them both out of there before they do the damage that was done in MN. Things are looking up in MN though, the few brainwashed followers are leaving and we look forward to a new beginning now that the evil is gone. At least you have a heads up....we did not. Good luck to you all this year in KY.
Hold on now

United States

#60 Jul 13, 2012
I don't even know the man but have heard of some of the changes coming in the new school year and am excited for my child's school. As for teachers being let go, I'm sorry but I agree with some of them.vbeing fired, they needed to be.
good for you

Lexington, KY

#61 Jul 13, 2012
Hold on now wrote:
I don't even know the man but have heard of some of the changes coming in the new school year and am excited for my child's school. As for teachers being let go, I'm sorry but I agree with some of them.vbeing fired, they needed to be.
Yeah, changes like an exceptional reading teacher being non-renewed at the middle school so Happy Osborne's wife could have a job as part of the nearly $200,000/year deal to get him to be the basketball coach. And last year's special education teacher of the year in the district finding a different job because of the working environment Powell has created. There are tons of other things. But I'm glad you're "excited" things like this, that hurt children's education, are happening in the district.
ouch

Mount Sterling, KY

#62 Jul 13, 2012
Hold on now wrote:
I have no problem with terminating teachers that do not perform....but with the pure volume of teachers, coaches and others in the school system....come on...if Powell had been with Montgomery County School system 3 or 4 years he would know who he was firing...he gave no leadership to any teachers to help better them or the system...if you cant mentor, coach or train dont call yourself a leader....
Hold on now

United States

#63 Jul 13, 2012
good for you wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, changes like an exceptional reading teacher being non-renewed at the middle school so Happy Osborne's wife could have a job as part of the nearly $200,000/year deal to get him to be the basketball coach. And last year's special education teacher of the year in the district finding a different job because of the working environment Powell has created. There are tons of other things. But I'm glad you're "excited" things like this, that hurt children's education, are happening in the district.
Apparently you are bitter and have some connection with the school system or you woulnt be so defensive. Whoever the reading teacher was is exceptional in your opinion. She or he may have been wonderful on the outside buy you never know the whole story on anything. Mt Sterling is a teeny tiny little town and any disruptions are catastrophic to those that are born, live and die here. face it, the school system has been failing the kids for years.
bewarekentucky

Dubuque, IA

#64 Jul 14, 2012
Dusso will have many fooled the first year. Initially, he puts on a fairly good show. He actually will case out the place, figuring out who his allies will be, who he can intimidate. He will get the teachers who are not doing their job on board by holding that over their head. The good teachers, look out, if he can't dictate your every move and have complete control, you are in for a rough ride. He is all about himself, not the kids, even though he will obsess about respect. He will stop at nothing to get his way. He is nothing but an adult bully. I fear he is just a mutation of Powell, and it is sad to see that these kind of people just keep getting promoted and rewarded for their unprofessional and illegal nasty tactics. It needs to stop. Make sure your voice is heard this fall at the school board elections. Sounds like you need some new blood to turn things around. Good luck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Sterling Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Phil Rison (Dec '14) 11 min Wow 2,475
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 13 min Martell Blows 147,286
kinsey tyra 2 hr jailbird 10
KDMK and it's cheating spouses 2 hr Jamesion 21
jackie taulbee 8 hr fuKyou 6
Thieves 8 hr fuKyou 4
Where is she? 8 hr fuKyou 3
Who die in mtsterling today 13 hr ed 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mount Sterling Mortgages