Memories Of Old Ronkonkoma

Posted in the Mount Sinai Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
T Jefferson

Glasgow, KY

#1 Jul 7, 2009
What are some of your memories of old Ronkonkoma?

It used to be a nice place in the late 60's/early 70's when I was a kid.

There were nice stores downtown- Tom's Stationery (He sold toys, and even bigygles!); that stationery next to the Shell station (anyone remember the name of that store?)

Yarlow's five and dime (I guess the Yarlow brothers are long gone by now- they were nice- especially Murray).

Bohak's; The A&P (At Division and Hawkins- in the building where they just recently had a colapse over the bagel store)

Lake Heroes (Talk abouit good food!)[Where Anthony's restaurant is now].

The Jerry Lewis Theatre (now OTB)

John Covello

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Nov 10, 2009
The stationery store next to Shell was just plain old Ronkonkoma Stationery

My dad ran into Murray Yarlow a few years back down in Florida....sadly he passed away shortly after that

Since: Oct 09

Hart County, KY.

#3 Nov 23, 2009
John Covello wrote:
The stationery store next to Shell was just plain old Ronkonkoma Stationery
My dad ran into Murray Yarlow a few years back down in Florida....sadly he passed away shortly after that
Thanks! Ronkonkoma Stationery- I guess I overlooked the obvious!!

Sorry to hear about Murray. He must've been ancient. Last time I saw him was in the early 70's....and he wasn't too young then!
George Lipponer

AOL

#4 Feb 13, 2010
The Yarlow brothers were named Max and Al. They had also owned a 5&10 in Brooklyn and lived on Smith Road.
Tom's Stationery was known as Gehweiler's, a department type store.
Bahrenburg's was the bakery across the street, now a Greek restaurant.
The former Ronkonkoma Stationery, directly across the street from Straub's market was the first A&P
in Lake Ronkonkoma.

Hart County, KY.

#5 Feb 13, 2010
George Lipponer wrote:
The Yarlow brothers were named Max and Al. They had also owned a 5&10 in Brooklyn and lived on Smith Road.
The former Ronkonkoma Stationery, directly across the street from Straub's market was the first A&P
in Lake Ronkonkoma.
Thanks! Some of that stuff I did not know.(But we always knew Al and "Murray" Yarlow...)

Was that Gehweiler's the same business that became the florist that had been next-door to Tom's in the 60's and 70's?(My sister had worked there in the 60's)- I think there was a shoe store between Gehweiler's and Tom's?

Then there was Fayne's drugstore.....and then two small shops between Fayne's and Agnew & Taylor (I think one was a real estate office for a while?)

On the south side of Portion Rd. before they built the Grant's (now Kohl's) shopping center and "Valley National Bank" and all, was there anything there?(My earliest memories of that stretch were of it being all torn up, when they had it all bulldozed to build the shopping center).

Thanks again for the interesting info!
Jim

Floral City, FL

#6 Feb 16, 2010
My mom worked for Al and Max for many years in that 5 & 10. You are correct about the the real estate office. There were two apartments on top of those building. My grandmother live in one of them for many years before the fire that destroy that section of town. I do remember a clothing store that sold mod clothing back in the mid sixties being next to Tom's stationary. The shoe store was to the right of Tom's (a drive way was to the right of the shoe store .. I think) I not sure if the store was a Buster brown store but do recal thenm selling them. Maybe that will jog some memories.

Hart County, KY.

#7 Feb 16, 2010
Jim wrote:
My mom worked for Al and Max for many years in that 5 & 10. You are correct about the the real estate office. There were two apartments on top of those building. My grandmother live in one of them for many years before the fire that destroy that section of town. I do remember a clothing store that sold mod clothing back in the mid sixties being next to Tom's stationary. The shoe store was to the right of Tom's (a drive way was to the right of the shoe store .. I think) I not sure if the store was a Buster brown store but do recal thenm selling them. Maybe that will jog some memories.
Thanks! I also remember the shoe store selling Buster Brown. One can find a lot of old pics of Ronk. online...but there don't seem to be any from the 60's & 70's, unfortunately.

I also remember the Bohak's supermarket, just past Yarlow's. And then after you crossed Portion Rd, ya had the People's National Bank (Is that a commie-sounding name or what?) and Lake Hero's- now Anthony's Restaurant-(I used to live upstairs) and then Dundee's (for a while, anyway), and Aqualand.....and a few doors down, Tom Cash's welding shop. And across the street was Jimmy and Vinny the barbers and Keyboard Corners....

I remember seeing the area in the early 80's, after the fire you mentioned (I lived in Queens then)- I think Fayne's burned too, IIRC?

Seems like the only thing remaining today are Agnew & Taylor (where I used to spend my allowance on nails...amazing I didn't grow up to be a carpenter!) and Slater's Drugs.

My mother knew a lady (Ziggy) who worked in Pfiefers Deli- hehe....still uses her recipe to make potato salad!
bob caulkins

Stockbridge, GA

#8 Mar 14, 2010
George, are you the Marine mentioned by Jim Brady in his book, "Why Marines Fight"? If so, Semper Fi, my Korean War Marine brother. Do you know another Marine named Walter Steen?
George Lipponer wrote:
in Lake Ronkonkoma.
Mike Nilsson

Smithfield, KY

#9 Jul 16, 2010
I thought of Yarlows this morning for some reason. I live in Louisville, KY, I've been away from L.I. for almost 30 years. Every time I go back it's so different. I used to buy National Lampoon magazines at Tom's Stationery. My dad used to buy the Sunday NY Times there, after dropping me off at Holy Cross Lutheran for Sunday School. My old man was FDNY in Queens and never went to church. I used to take my offering money and spend it at the bakery over by Holy Cross. Was that Pfeifer's Bakery? Yarlow's was a serious old-school retailer. We'd buy candy and little toys there, but they also sold clothes...I'd wonder who bought clothes from there, and then I'd see certain kids at school and think...uh-oh. If they were cool like me their moms would have taken them to Sears at Smithaven Mall for some plaid Toughskins!

Hart County, KY.

#10 Jul 16, 2010
Mike Nilsson wrote:
I thought of Yarlows this morning for some reason. I live in Louisville, KY, I've been away from L.I. for almost 30 years. Every time I go back it's so different. I used to buy National Lampoon magazines at Tom's Stationery. My dad used to buy the Sunday NY Times there, after dropping me off at Holy Cross Lutheran for Sunday School. My old man was FDNY in Queens and never went to church. I used to take my offering money and spend it at the bakery over by Holy Cross. Was that Pfeifer's Bakery? Yarlow's was a serious old-school retailer. We'd buy candy and little toys there, but they also sold clothes...I'd wonder who bought clothes from there, and then I'd see certain kids at school and think...uh-oh. If they were cool like me their moms would have taken them to Sears at Smithaven Mall for some plaid Toughskins!
I believe the bakery you referring to was the H&H Bakery.

Man! Tom's Stationary back then was the BEST! I got 90% of my Matchbox cars there; punks to light and hold in mouths as if they were cigarettes and my mother even bought me 2 bikes there!!(One was a Ross, with a unique D-shaped handlebar).

I didn't even know Yarlows sold kids clothes (thankfully)- I thought they just sold old-lady clothes:D

And those clothes from Sears! They'd never wear out- they got passed down to several generations! I have a few old Sears catalogs which I bought on Ebay...I see some of the things I used to have and wish they still made them today- I was better dressed as a child than I am now!

Speaking of the Mall, anyone know where I can find any pics of the mall site as it was before the mall was built?

We were lucky to have grown-up in such a place....it was amazing.(I'm about 2 hours south of you, in southern KY.-only been here for 9 years so far- I've never been back to NY since moving here....it makes me sick to see what it has become- i.e. just the way it was when I left)
dexter

AOL

#11 Jul 16, 2010
do you have brother named Henry
George Lipponer wrote:
in Lake Ronkonkoma.
dmtkphk

Westbury, NY

#12 Aug 5, 2010
Dr Muskin's Orthodontist Office in the basement of the building across from Friendly's...used to sit there every other week with my brother so that he could get his braces adjusted. He had a juke box that used to play the same 70's songs over and over. Sister golden hair, Horse with no name. He also had these cool siler feet on the ceiling in the waiting room.
My parents lawyers office Giaccone was right next door to the it along with the music store.
How about Caldor and Grants before that...always next to the King Kullen. Grants used to have that cool little "restaurant" in the front of the store. We never ate there but you could gawk at the people as they ate.:)
dmtkphk

Westbury, NY

#13 Aug 5, 2010
oh and yes, H&H Bakery had the BEST JELLY DONUTS. We would go there on a Sunday morning with my dad and it would be packed. We were little so we were squished in like sardines. I can remember staring at the floor at the little cream/pink ceramic tiles for what seemed like hours. They also had those very cheesy 1960 Wedding Figurines on display. Oh the days of the early 70's.

Hart County, KY.

#14 Aug 5, 2010
Oh, man! I LOVED Grants when I was a kid! And it was such a treat to be able to shop and to eat at a real restaurant, instead of some stupid McDonalds or frozen pizza place. You could go in there even if it was just for an ice-cream soda or sandwich, and it was just one of those little thing that made life so much more rich. What a great time that was to grow up in and to live on Lawn Guyland! Thank goodness it was so nice then.

Another thing: For a while in the early 70's, there was a place next to the Dairy Queen where a guy would give pony rides around a little lot. I think it cost a quarter. My little "girlfriend" used to love to ride that pony- I still remember the pony's name: Pokey!

Anyone remember the bus on Hawkins Avenue? My mother used to take me to Patchogue on it to go shopping and/or visit my sister, and it would take an HOUR just to get to Patchogue, because it went to the mall first, then through Selden and Farmingville, etc. but I used to love the ride!(I'll bet it would take just as long, if not longer to get to Patchogue today by bus!)

How about the welding shop next to Friendly's- Tom Cash? I'd always stop and talk to him as I was riding my bicycle by. Whatever happened to him? Some said he went nuts...but I doubt it- from what I had seen, it looks more like the gov't did him wrong.
Trailer Jefferson

Glasgow, KY

#15 Aug 5, 2010
Original T Jefferson wrote:
Oh, man! I LOVED Grants when I was a kid! And it was such a treat to be able to shop and to eat at a real restaurant, instead of some stupid McDonalds or frozen pizza place. You could go in there even if it was just for an ice-cream soda or sandwich, and it was just one of those little thing that made life so much more rich. What a great time that was to grow up in and to live on Lawn Guyland! Thank goodness it was so nice then.
Another thing: For a while in the early 70's, there was a place next to the Dairy Queen where a guy would give pony rides around a little lot. I think it cost a quarter. My little "girlfriend" used to love to ride that pony- I still remember the pony's name: Pokey!
Anyone remember the bus on Hawkins Avenue? My mother used to take me to Patchogue on it to go shopping and/or visit my sister, and it would take an HOUR just to get to Patchogue, because it went to the mall first, then through Selden and Farmingville, etc. but I used to love the ride!(I'll bet it would take just as long, if not longer to get to Patchogue today by bus!)
How about the welding shop next to Friendly's- Tom Cash? I'd always stop and talk to him as I was riding my bicycle by. Whatever happened to him? Some said he went nuts...but I doubt it- from what I had seen, it looks more like the gov't did him wrong.
blah..........blah..........bl ah..........I like cows now..........blah..........bla h blah........trailers.......... I am awesome..........blah.blah.... .....blah..........racist
Sugar Babe

Massapequa Park, NY

#16 Aug 6, 2010
I remember my cousins from Forest Hills, Joseph, Peter and Robert, so excited in the fifties.

We're going to Lake Ronkonkoma!
VJ Dietrich

Haledon, NJ

#17 Sep 25, 2010
I really enjoyed reading all your posts. Thanks for sharing.
dmtkphk

Westbury, NY

#18 Oct 5, 2010
The Dairy Queen. I had my 6th or 7th birthday there when I was a kid. Because it was my birthday I was able to ride the pony twice. I remember at the party, they had a kid in a dog costume.
Hardee's was the burger joint in the Grants shopping center, now it's a Wendy's.

Hart County, KY.

#19 Oct 6, 2010
dmtkphk wrote:
The Dairy Queen. I had my 6th or 7th birthday there when I was a kid. Because it was my birthday I was able to ride the pony twice. I remember at the party, they had a kid in a dog costume.
Hardee's was the burger joint in the Grants shopping center, now it's a Wendy's.
I used to LOVE the hamburgers at that Hardees! They still have Hardees here in the South...but unfortunately, they are nothing like they were in the 70's.
Moralbass

Milford, CT

#20 Oct 8, 2010
I worked at yarlows, and their home. I am now 51. We use to get great pizza at Dannys fast pizza.(225 a pie)
Who remembers the pink lady and the old cuban that directed traffic on hawkins ave, his name was Antonio. He was shell shocked!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Sinai Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Solar farm in shoreham 2 hr Rollo 1
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 13 hr scirocco 119,692
Arrest Report: DWI, Criminal Possession (Nov '11) Fri Ginger 16
Aunt paroled in 1983 murder of niece, 5, in NY (May '09) Fri Lili 15
Race War Dec 25 Brooklynn 10
Slime Bags (May '12) Dec 20 Busted 16
Louis Volpe Nov '14 His mom 6

Mount Sinai News Video

Mount Sinai Dating
Find my Match