FEMA helps pay for Lake Ronkonkoma flooding fixes

There are 20 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 17, 2009, titled FEMA helps pay for Lake Ronkonkoma flooding fixes. In it, Newsday reports that:

Federal money is coming to Lake Ronkonkoma to help with groundwater flooding problems, although it came too late for at least one homeowner.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Stephanie

Bronx, NY

#21 Aug 23, 2009
We looked at 5 charles court. There's only a partial basement, and it certainly needs some heating work but I was wondering if we should do what a few of our friends said and RUN! Any help here? Also, does anyone actually know the story of 5 charles court. I'm realllllyy curious. Thanks!
Irked

Rye, NY

#22 Aug 24, 2009
Yes run !!! the last people in 5 Charles ct could not get the mold or the oil smell out!!someone took the cap off the oil tank and the oil leaked into the crawl space and when it rained in june the basement (crwl) was flooded and brought the oil and sludge up to the frame. I doubt very much that it can be fixed.it is a shame though because the home is roomy i heard it was expanded and the people put new windows but alas -it was like putting pearls on a swine.shame
always gotta pay sumptin

Rye, NY

#23 Aug 24, 2009
netlead wrote:
I looked at a house on charles ct last weekend and they had printout stating the fed plan to fill basement and pay to move utilities up to 10 x 12 room.At least they were trying...
read again my dear they are not paying for all the owner must pay a portion (I forgot exactly how much)
help

Chevy Chase, MD

#24 Sep 17, 2009
im thinking of purchasing 5 charles court. Is there any new info about the flooding on the block???
thanks!!
always gotta pay sumptin

Rye, NY

#25 Sep 18, 2009
read the fine print- my name says it all
always gotta pay sumptin

Rye, NY

#26 Sep 18, 2009
help wrote:
im thinking of purchasing 5 charles court. Is there any new info about the flooding on the block???
thanks!!
uh did you notice any funny smells in the house? the nose knows!! and like i said fema is only paying a portion of it-- and did you see the taxes on that home!! I would look elsewhere its just not worth the risk . think of the health of your family.

Since: Feb 08

Nassau County

#27 Sep 18, 2009
WET FEET wrote:
LEAVE LI BEFORE ITS TOO LATE
And NY as well

Bronx, NY

#28 Sep 22, 2009
Living on Charles Ct here....the entire street should be torn down and given to the DEC as part of the wetlands, as nature intended it to be! 5 Charles Ct is UNLIVEABLE. That's why the previous owners (and the owners of the other 5 EMPTY houses on the block) left! Do your homework people...It's NOT the bad economy! No living thing should be subjected to what the people went through in that house. Especially BABIES AND SMALL CHILDREN. It's NOT fixable! The shame on the realtors for not telling the potential buyers the hazards of this block. You get what you pay for, and these houses aren't worth the what is it down to now,$194K, that they are asking! Heck, they aren't worth $5 bucks! Thanks Fema, but no thanks.

Bronx, NY

#29 Sep 22, 2009
Of course they had a printout. They are desparately trying to get you to buy a bank owned property that started out at $275K+ in August of 2008. That house is NOT part of the grant, from what I understand (#5) and even if it was, Fema expects partial payment for the fix, that by the way, won't fix anything. They need to try harder. How about offering the people who have lost their homes & their good credit- their money back for all the pumps, the Lipa bills, the mold removal, the rugs and furniture lost, the medical bills, the cesspool repair, the irreplaceable personal belongings and time...how about they pay a lifetime's worth of suffering, all because they bought their dream home. And what about the people still there? Who don't want to risk it all and leave? They can't sell their home, they are stuck living and dealing with it. Charles Ct, is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there!
always gotta pay sumptin

Rye, NY

#30 Sep 22, 2009
Guest wrote:
Of course they had a printout. They are desparately trying to get you to buy a bank owned property that started out at $275K+ in August of 2008. That house is NOT part of the grant, from what I understand (#5) and even if it was, Fema expects partial payment for the fix, that by the way, won't fix anything. They need to try harder. How about offering the people who have lost their homes & their good credit- their money back for all the pumps, the Lipa bills, the mold removal, the rugs and furniture lost, the medical bills, the cesspool repair, the irreplaceable personal belongings and time...how about they pay a lifetime's worth of suffering, all because they bought their dream home. And what about the people still there? Who don't want to risk it all and leave? They can't sell their home, they are stuck living and dealing with it. Charles Ct, is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there!
you got it right!!!sad it is though
T Jefferson

Glasgow, KY

#31 Sep 25, 2009
foolzrushin wrote:
<quoted text>
And NY as well
Best thing I ever did! 8 years ago...and never looked back!(and have never set foot in NY state sinc...and likely never will!)

Well...gotta go pay my property taxes soon- all $230. for the year...for 27.5 acres!
T Jefferson

Glasgow, KY

#32 Oct 5, 2009
testing
Terry

East Northport, NY

#33 Oct 9, 2009
i was looking at a house on 5 charls ct. is this the street that floods in ronkonoma?
LOL

Bronx, NY

#34 Oct 9, 2009
Terry wrote:
i was looking at a house on 5 charls ct. is this the street that floods in ronkonoma?
Seriously? Have you read the above posts? EVERYONE is looking at that house. But NO ONE IS BUYING! For good reason!
Pool Guy

Milford, CT

#35 Nov 2, 2009
netlead wrote:
I looked at a house on charles ct last weekend and they had printout stating the fed plan to fill basement and pay to move utilities up to 10 x 12 room.At least they were trying...
I'm looking at 14 charles as well. It seems to be way higher than the others. The realtor was up front about the previous flooding on the block.
I'm curios just how high did the water ever get. I remember reading about it in newsday a few years ago. again only talking about 14 charles. I can live with a sump pump that runs sometimes.
I drove by the house 2 x and that block doesn't look empty to me. In fact, 14 was the only for sale sign I saw
liner

Hicksville, NY

#36 Nov 2, 2009
Terry wrote:
No, it's not. Go ahead and buy it.
Ignorance

Bronx, NY

#37 Nov 11, 2009
Pool Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm looking at 14 charles as well. It seems to be way higher than the others. The realtor was up front about the previous flooding on the block.
I'm curios just how high did the water ever get. I remember reading about it in newsday a few years ago. again only talking about 14 charles. I can live with a sump pump that runs sometimes.
I drove by the house 2 x and that block doesn't look empty to me. In fact, 14 was the only for sale sign I saw
#14 Charles Ct. has a cracking foundation. The houses on that side of the street are higher, but they too, get water when the table gets high enough. And when that happens, it's not a sump pump "somtimes". It's a constant hassle. Think cess pool. Think mold. Think LIPA bill. Given, it's been dry lately, but the water already left it's mark on Charles Ct. If people want to "drive by" and look at the houses, of course, they look great from the outside. The bank makes sure of that (#2 Schoolhouse,#1 Charles Ct,#5 Charles Ct,#14). But if you are seriously considering buying one of these homes, plan to have lots of money and lots of patience. I mean, if you don't care about your health, it's a bargain!

Since: Oct 09

Hart County, KY.

#38 Nov 11, 2009
Sure, they're great houses...if you're a submarine captain and want to practice in the basement; or if you've always wanted a houseboat, sans the boat!

And the DEC won't even let you do what's necessary to mitigate the problems, because it might "disturb the ecosystem".[But building a few million houses is O-K, and making that lagoon across Portion Rd. is fine...just don't divert water from your yard, cause that'll make the earth stop spinning!]

LI-free for 8 years now...and loving it!!!! Yeee-hawwww!!!! You start to live when you leave NY!
Edward Court

Monsey, NY

#39 Dec 10, 2009
I live on Edward Court, purchased my home March 1983. Five years later applied for a variance, to add a basement and an extention. Which the town of Smithtown approved. There was absolutely no water problems. Not until the town built on every parcel available, and the pumping of the water to the pond at the end of Charles Ct. I had a hole in my basement floor from the old well water pump and no water. The town should be ashamed of themselves.
Not shocked

Bronx, NY

#40 Dec 29, 2009
So the bank illegally filled in the basement @ 5 charles ct. They took it off the market, ripped out the oil tank and the burner, pumped out the water/oil mixture and filled in every hole they could find, with cement. The town was called and they came, and left a note for the non-english speaking workers. What a joke. They ripped up the kitchen floor to get the cement in and dug a hole on the side of the house to pump the gunk out. Don't you need permits for this kind of work? It's not going to make the house any more livable, the water still comes UP!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Sinai Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 2 hr Just Think 121,727
J&B Discount Tire Fraud (Jan '09) Apr 30 Teamplaya7 43
Review: 3d Super Nails Inc Apr 29 alexx174 1
News Loitering bill in trouble (Mar '07) Apr 27 Rated X 5
News Islip town board awards Wantagh company $3 mill... Apr 26 Enough Is Enough 2
Rocky Point Kohl's shopping Center (Jun '10) Apr 25 Lancet71 7
Review: Magic Isle Aquarium (Mar '09) Apr 24 Lisa 21
More from around the web

Mount Sinai People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]