For dying cop, illness and rage

There are 33 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 31, 2007, titled For dying cop, illness and rage. In it, Newsday reports that:

The cancer spreading in his head is slowly strangling the brain of retired New York Police Officer John Cedo.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
faithfull

Deer Park, NY

#2 Jan 31, 2007
don't be sinical about this situation. You chose to do the line of work you were in..it's an unfortunate thing that happened a major rapture of sorts..you did a great job in staten island and we are proud of you for it..yes you are sick count your blessings that you are still among the living you say the doctor said you wouldn't live past easter..every day is a blessing thank the lord for it..no you can't take the money with you that is true. do you know where you will be going? is your name written in the book of life? no I am not some crackpot. I love the life however settled the lord has given me and I know my name is written in the book of life. I am not judged on my works on this earth, but I am sure that I am going to heaven when I go..I will pray for you John Cedo just like I have prayed for every soul here on earth to be saved and to know they are truly going to heaven. Make what you did at 9/11 count for something other than as a number in a number of lawsuits..God will take care of the finances..sometimes we have to hit rock bottom financially to rise up out of the ashes so to speak metaphorically. may god bless you and your family
James in EI

Englewood, CO

#3 Jan 31, 2007
So the responders want to become rich like the widows of those who died directly?
A Reader

United States

#4 Jan 31, 2007
Is anyone aware of who we can write to to find out if there is any money left from the millions donated? I know personally of two cases where residents in a nearby apartment damaged during 9/11 were given hundreds of thousands of dollars to replace their stereo equipment and furniture. Because of them and people who also submitted falsified receipts, this officer is without help. Can anyone tell me/us how we can help or who we can write to?
Kevin Davitt

Carlstadt, NJ

#5 Jan 31, 2007
I know John Cedo. I worked alongside him for many years. He has always been a brutally honest man and there is no reason not to believe him now.
He deserves any and all assistance he is entitled to.
He served the City of New York well for many years.
aaarrbolen

AOL

#6 Jan 31, 2007
I truly believe that the 9/11 money was for the victims, the families of the lost and dead and the workers on the pile (that would need it in the future.) That money was not for economic regrowth. We need to be taking care of our falling heros (even if there is only a shred of a chance their illness was caused by 9/11.
ZAX

Cos Cob, CT

#8 Jan 31, 2007
I remember watching a video of the towers falling.My in-law was also watching it with me.He actually told me when the planes hit that the towers would fall and he also told me that the air wasn't good to breath, and lastly he said wait a few years and you will see all of the people getting sick and dying.
You see at one time he worked on the building.I am certain that many others including the government also new this.
The first responders were doing their job.Unfortunetly it has become vary tragic.But I do remember seeing a picture of this woman covered with ash.I wonder what happen to her.
SOS

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Jan 31, 2007
James in EI wrote:
So the responders want to become rich like the widows of those who died directly?
No they just want the right thing done. Engineers from the State EPA were sent down to the site within days of 9/11 to evalute the conditions. When they got back to Albany with their results they were told that their reports were classified and that they shouldn't discuss them with co-workers, family or friends. Officials knew that the WTC site was toxic and more precautions needed to be made to protect the first responders and others. Hell you could see the site still smodering on TV as the fireman worked. Someone decided that it was okay to sacrifice the first responders in order to get the cleanup job done. The 2 recent deaths are only the beginning. SOS = Same Old spit
SOS

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Jan 31, 2007
A Reader wrote:
Is anyone aware of who we can write to to find out if there is any money left from the millions donated? I know personally of two cases where residents in a nearby apartment damaged during 9/11 were given hundreds of thousands of dollars to replace their stereo equipment and furniture. Because of them and people who also submitted falsified receipts, this officer is without help. Can anyone tell me/us how we can help or who we can write to?
There were various programs set up to assist those affect by 9/11. State Mental Health program was called Liberty those needing counseling could apply for assistance to pay. Medicaid also lessened their rules for payment to allow those who lost their documentation to file claims. I believe that eentually they found that about 15%-20% of the claims to be fraudelent and were not paid or they sought recovery. Then you have the stories written f the WTC widows clubs that blew it on shoes and frequent trips to Vegas and then wanted sympathy whren the money was gone because 'they didn't know how to handle all that money'. There is probably more using the money as intended and raising their families but that's not headline worthy. To help start with your congressman most of the ones in NY have WTC memorial fund and freedom tower linksds on their website.
dan p

Plainview, NY

#12 Jan 31, 2007
as i am writing this, bush is talking about the economy on tv.
people who who worked at ground zero were told the air was safe. they were not told anything but a lie. how in the hell could the air be considered safe?
billions of dollars were sent to the fund for victims.$1,000,000,000.00 of that was set aside for the relief workers health care and not one penny has been paid to those workers who need it. now those workers are starting to die.
instead it's being tied up in the courts fighting the very same people it was ment to help.
our government has failed on so many levels with disaster relief that it boarders on criminal and the moron on the tv right now is responsable. you can't blame clinton, or congress or anyone but bush for this one.
as a country we were the 1st ones to send money and aid other countries when ever a disaster hits.
but when it comes to the aid of our own people and our own cities aid gets tied up in the courts so the people who need it never get to see any.
this is nothing short of disgusting and the people in the white house are at fault. no more talk. no more litigation. get these people the money they need to get the help they deserve and stop the bullshit!!!!!!!!!!
bthwaithe

AOL

#13 Jan 31, 2007
"He can't say for sure that his inoperable cancer, brain stem glioma, is linked to his work at Ground Zero and the Staten Island landfill, where the debris was taken.
But he thinks it was"

He thinks it was, therefore we should assume it was? Come on. Anyone with any disease who worked at Ground Zero can say they "think it is" related to their work at Ground Zero. That doesn't mean it was. Where's the medical evidence that exposure to the material at the Trade Center site can cause such diverse diseases as respiratory failure and brain tumors? What about prostate cancer, leukemia, Pagett's disease, multiple sclerosis? The list goes on and on. Not only will 9/11 responders be able to claim any and all diseases are related to Ground Zero, but people who live down there, people who were at the Trade Center on 9/11, will be able to claim any disease they come down with is directly related to toxins from 9/11.

You can't just make up stuff up because you're pissed off that you have a disease and you want your family to get a nice sum of money. "I'm sick, I was at Ground Zero, therefore my liver failure/heart disease/lung disease/brain tumor is caused by 9/11, so show me the money." Maybe everyone in Manhattan and south Brooklyn and Jersey City on 9/11 can get money if they get a tumor somewhere -- anywhere -- in their body, too.
bthwaithe

AOL

#14 Jan 31, 2007
And another thing -- this guy was retired. He was not assigned to work at Ground Zero (he was only there for one week) or at the Staten Island landfill by the city or by the federal government. He CHOSE to do it. He was no longer a member of NYPD in 2001, he hadn't been for 6 years. The way people are responding to this story, it seems they believe this man was forced to work at both sites as a city employee, as an NYPD officer. He wasn't. Call me cynical, but I smell an opportunist.
wondering

Mamaroneck, NY

#15 Jan 31, 2007
James in EI wrote:
I wonder if any of those widows are willing to chip in - how many millions of dollars were donated and distributed to victims families? How about asking those who in many cases received up to one million each to give a little back to the fund to help their fellow victims?
LIRR 4 EVER

New York, NY

#16 Jan 31, 2007
OK, lets give the workers who worked on that toxic dump their due. It has been proven that there were enough toxins on the site to kill anything.
But has anyone heard of some relief for all the people who worked in the downtown area that were caught in that toxic dust cloud when the towers came down. They walked out of the area that day on streets that were littered with debris and toxic ash and went back to work a week later only to breath in polluted air for months. The cleanup crews may have washed down the streets but there were plenty of buildings that had ash on them (roof tops, overhangs, airshafts, etc)for a long time. The remnents of the towers were being trucked all over downtown from the trade center site to barges in the East River. I'm sure this was not a pristine operation. Let's be fair and give all the workers of Lower Manhatten who reported to work from 9/11 to 6/1/02 a payment of $10,000 each.
Donald Dunn

United States

#17 Jan 31, 2007
Our FAA should have picked up on the application for the arab nationals takeing air craft pilot training how to fly commercial air craft and only requesting to learn how to take off fly commercial jets and not how to land such planes.Something is wrong with licensing proceedure. That could have prevented 9/11 altogether. This information was posted in all news papers after the attack.I condemn the FAA for this oversight.
bobb

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

#18 Jan 31, 2007
To those (like Ann Coulter) who criticize those who recieved money as compensation:

How much money would you accept for the life of a family member?

Maybe they shouldn't have gotten anything. After all, why should we taxpayers have to give them a penny? The attacks weren't OUR fault. It wasn't like WE let the terrorists attend flight school!
The question I would like answered is this: With the billions upon billions we spent PRIOR TO 911 on the CIA, FBI, NORAD, Covert Ops Etc., How many people had to look the other way for the terrorists to pull it off?
Free Man ure

Oceanside, NY

#19 Jan 31, 2007
Kevin Davitt wrote:
I know John Cedo. I worked alongside him for many years. He has always been a brutally honest man and there is no reason not to believe him now.
He deserves any and all assistance he is entitled to.
He served the City of New York well for many years.
And got paid for it. He wasn't working for free.
E Crawford Jr

Palm Springs, CA

#21 Feb 1, 2007
The problems, in the article are not a surprise to those of us who were in the law enforcement, and Fire prevention fields. My Dept. in CT. lost an officer who went down to ground zero, to help with the search and recovery. He also died young from brain cancer. The sad fact is that civil servants, are only pawns used by the cities, states and federal government. Once we get ill, they want us to prove it was job related. I am sure there are many more who will suffer the same fate. May
God Bless, those Police Officers and Fire personal. 9/11, is still taking lives of our finest and bravest.
MoJo

AOL

#22 Feb 1, 2007
Well, well, well, all you pompous people out there who sat on their asses in front of the T.V and watched that incredible disaster tsk, tsk, tsking but.....from the comfort of your homes, are now the ones telling Officer Cedo and those that will surely follow from the toxics inhaled that "they got paid for it", ahh,"you should have worn a mask", and all the rest of that useless rhetoric. Keep in mind that was not first in their thoughts, it was to save and rescue victims of that hell on earth, not themselves. Yes they're angry, so am I, but for different reasons. Just exactly how much is a human life worth ?
We in this country decide that by how many touchdowns a football player makes ,how many records are sold by a musician, and the list goes on. But, here we had men and women, giving everything they had, including, but above all, their lives for you people out there to say, well "they got paid for it". So the widows got millions, what they did with it only God knows, but for the surviving rescuers, ten million is not going to give them one extra day of life on this earth as a result of their heroic efforts. Just remember, all you out there magestic in your pomposity, your day too will come, and when it does you'll be dancing to the devils fiddle. He just loves it when anyone turns away from compassion and feeling for others.
JCP

United States

#23 Feb 1, 2007
Did any rage against the people who attacked us come up in the interview?
gene p

AOL

#25 Jun 8, 2010
john, i worked with you at city hall before i retired in 1988, i remember you as a funny guy who liked to break the sargent chops deservedly so. i have prstate cancer myself .life is a blink ,hopefully we will all see each other on the other side for a good laugh. keep your chin up. gene

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Sinai Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Angie Carpenter, Islip supervisor, optimistic a... Thu not optimistic 11
Home Robberies May 20 Patchogue resident 3
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) May 17 cheer the f up 121,912
News Holtsville man stole from CVS four times in eig... May 16 marknadjar 1
News Crime Report: Thieves Stab Victim, Steal iPhone (Mar '12) May 15 lol 11
Suffolk TB Sanitorium, Selden, NY (Apr '09) May 14 Doug 6
News John White-Daniel Ciccero story to appear on 20... (Apr '08) May 13 Catfish 108
More from around the web

Mount Sinai People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]