Man found fatally stabbed in Hoffman ...

Man found fatally stabbed in Hoffman Estates

There are 54 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 5, 2008, titled Man found fatally stabbed in Hoffman Estates. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

A 38-year-old man was stabbed to death Wednesday morning during an altercation in northwest suburban Hoffman Estates and another man was being questioned, authorities said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Janey

Pemberton, OH

#46 May 18, 2009
CAN WE TALK ABOUT THE MURDER, PLEASE! Can anyone tell me about the Murder trail? How long of a sentence did Joseph Biedermann get? I hope it was 2 life sencences. At trail did he explain anything about why he did this? Did he show any remorse?
BAV

United States

#47 Jun 26, 2009
Joseph Biedermann's trial is scheduled to begin July 13 in Rolling Meadows. However, some scheduling conflicts arose at the last hearing so it could move to July 6 or July 20.
Lake Park Graduate

Lisle, IL

#48 Jun 29, 2009
So how come there is no updated information on joe biedermann. Is it true he actually has a defense that he had a sex life with this guys he killed? I keep hearing the rumors that this guy abused joe constantly. I'm really curious on the facts. I saw Joe in February of 2009 at a bar. He seemed very ok and obviously not in prison. For what I know of him, he never showed signs of any bad behaviors. He was a bright student in High School. I just feel there has got to be some major reason this happened. I feel for the family of the victim. I just want to know the truth.
bav

United States

#51 Jul 9, 2009
Cook County prosecutors rested their case against Joseph Biedermann Wednesday(07/08) following detailed testimony from a Cook County medical examiner describing the wounds sustained by his neighbor Terrance Hauser, who authorities say Biedermann murdered during the early morning hours of March 5, 2008.

Biedermann, 30, claimed he acted in self-defense after Hauser attempted to sexually assault and physically attack him at Hauser's home in the Barrington Lakes Apartment Complex in the 2200 block of Hassell Road, Hoffman Estates. Biedermann lived in the same complex at the time.

Ponni Arunkumar, a Cook County assistant medical examiner, described to the jury the 61 stab wounds the 38-year-old Hauser sustained.

She also noted significant injury to Hauser's jugular vein, lungs, liver, pancreas, renal artery, kidneys, spine and abdominal aorta, which is one of the main blood suppliers in the body. Arunkumar testified that any of these injuries could have caused death.

Defense attorney Sam Adam Jr. pointed out, with Arunkumar's agreement, that injuries to Hauser's hands and arms could be consistent with a struggle.

"You cannot tell us who was the aggressor and who was the victim," Adam said.

"I can only testify to the injuries," Arunkumar said.

Barry Adams, forensic expert with the Northeastern Illinois Regional Crime Lab, testified there were eight fingerprints from Biedermann's right hand on the dagger. The lab did not find any of Hauser's prints on the weapon. The prints ranged from the tip to the top of the blade, although no fingerprints were recovered from the handle. Adams testified it did not appear the weapon was pulled from Biedermann's hands at any time because there were no smudged prints. In his cross-examination, Adam explained that Adams cannot tell when Biedermann handled the weapon or what the circumstances were.

Another Northeastern Illinois Regional Crime Lab expert, Kelly Lawren, testified that Biedermann's blood was found on a pair of size seven shoes. Hauser's and Biedermann's blood was found on Biedermann's jeans, with majority of the blood coming from Hauser.

Earlier, photos taken by police after Biedermann's arrest showed cuts on both forearms.

Gregory Taylor of the Park Ridge Police, who assisted at the crime scene as a member of the Major Case Assistance Team, testified that upon entering Biedermann's apartment, he found the jeans and shoes, along with bloody socks and other clothes, in bowls of water.

Authorities say the men met for the first time at a neighborhood bar several hours before the incident. Toxicology reports indicated Hauser had a blood-alcohol content of 0.277 and Biedermann had a BAC of 0.226.

The defense will began calling its witnesses and presenting its evidence this morning in Rolling Meadows courtroom 109.
bav

United States

#52 Jul 9, 2009
The trial of Joseph Biedermann, charged with first-degree murder in the March 2008 death of his Hoffman Estates neighbor Terrance Hauser Jr., began Tuesday in Rolling Meadows with Biedermann claiming he acted in self-defense.

"There's no question about it: he stabbed Hauser. The question is,'Why?'" said defense attorney Sam Adam Jr. in his opening statement, saying Biedermann was fending off a threatened sexual assault.

Biedermann, 30, of the 2100 block of Hassell Road in the Barrington Lakes apartment complex, is accused of stabbing Hauser 61 times with a medieval dagger in the early morning of March 5, 2008 in Hauser's apartment in the 2200 block of Hassell Road in the same complex.

"Terrance never stood a chance," Cook County Assistant State's Attorney Mike Clarke said in his opening statement.

"The last thing Terrance Hauser saw before he died was this man, standing over him, plunging a dagger into him over, and over, and over and over," said Clarke as he stood behind and pointed to Biedermann.

The prosecution called five witnesses Tuesday, including Hauser's mother, the first police officer on the scene and three members of the Major Case Assistance Team, composed of officers from 22 municipalities.

Clarke acknowledged there were no witnesses, but "the crime scene is extremely telling," he said, adding the scene contained no signs of a struggle. Adam said a struggle did occur between the two men, leading Biedermann to kill Hauser, 38, in self-defense.

After meeting for the first time at a neighborhood bar about 1:30 a.m. the morning of the murder, the two went to Hauser's apartment, where Biedermann passed out. Adam said Biedermann awoke to find Hauser standing over him with a four-foot-long medieval sword at his throat, threatening him with sexual assault.

Much of the testimony involved analysis of blood stains within Hauser's apartment and a trail of blood that connected the two men's apartments.

Brian Vivona, an Elk Grove Village police officer and forensic scientist for M.C.A.T., testified he documented the blood patterns within Hauser's apartment in the hours after the crime.

Red stains on the love seat Hauser was found leaning against tested positive for blood saturation, he said, while some blood drops on the floor indicated a bleeding person was moving toward the door to the hallway.

Judge Thomas P. Fecarotta also admitted as evidence 15 photos of Biedermann taken by Hoffman Estates Police March 8, 2008. The photos showed the defendant had a scratch on his right bicep, cuts on both forearms and a few minor scratches on his hands, but no injuries to either side of his neck.

While Clarke said Biedermann received treatment at St. Alexius Medical Center in Hoffman Estates after the incident, he portrayed the injuries as a "tiny cut on his right arm the size of a fingernail." Adam said Biedermann's injuries were serious enough to drip blood between Hauser's apartment and his own.

"Joey's blood was the trail," Adam said in his opening statement. "The only blood that was Hauser's was on the tip of the dagger."

Michael Heidkamp, a Des Plaines police officer and forensic technician with the major crimes assistance team, testified he tested 13 of about 40 visible drops of blood found in the parking lot between the two apartments. All 13 samples tested positive as blood, though Heidkamp was not able to say whose blood it was.

Testimony continues this morning in Rolling Meadows courtroom 109.
bav

United States

#53 Jul 9, 2009
Joseph Biedermann's girlfriend testified in his murder trial today that he arrived at their Hoffman Estates apartment covered in blood early March 5, 2008, asking her to call police.

Biedermann, 30, is charged with murder in the death of Terrence Hauser, 38, at the Barrington Lakes Apartment Complex in the 2200 block of Hassell Road in Hoffman Estates, where both men lived. Biedermann is arguing he acted in self-defense in response to an attempted sexual assault by Hauser.

Anna Olesckiewicz, 28, testified that she awoke at about 3 a.m. when Biedermann was banging at on their front door. When she opened it, she said she saw that his clothes were covered with blood and he had a cut on his forearm.

"He said to me,'Call 911, call 911,'" Olesckiewicz said.

She told the court that Biedermann was in shock, and she wanted him to take a shower to calm down. She helped him take off his bloody clothes and she put them in bowls so he wouldn't scatter blood all over the apartment, she said.

When Biedermann was still bleeding after the shower, they drove to St. Alexius Medical Center in Hoffman Estates for treatment. She called 911 after they got here, and police arrived to speak with Biedermann.

Defense Attorney Sam Adam Jr. read Olesckiewicz's statements from her grand jury testimony on March 13, 2008, in which she had recounted what Biedermann told her: "'You know this guy (Hauser), this guy, he wanted to kill me,'" she said. "'He had me down and pulled a knife. I stabbed him in the stomach and chest. I think I killed him.'"

The trial continues today at the Rolling Meadows courthouse.
bav

United States

#55 Jul 10, 2009
The Rolling Meadows jury that will begin deliberating the fate of Joseph Biedermann later today has only two options -- not guilty or guilty of first-degree murder.

Biedermann, charged with the 2008 stabbing death of Terrance Hauser, elected not to allow the jury to consider a verdict of second-degree murder, which carries a sentence of four to 20 years upon conviction.

Instead, the 30-year-old Hoffman Estates man opted for an all-or-nothing approach, meaning the verdict will either send him home or send him to prison for anywhere from 20 to 60 years.

Biedermann claims he killed the 38-year-old Hauser in self-defense after Hauser attacked him in the early morning hours of March 5, 2008, in Hauser's home in the 2200 block of Hassell Road in Hoffman Estates.

A Cook County medical examiner testified that Hauser suffered 61 stab wounds, including significant wounds to his jugular vein, lungs, kidney, pancreas and abdomen - any of which could have caused his death.

Biedermann, who lived in the same Barrington Lakes apartment complex as Hauser, said he met Hauser for the first time several hours before the incident at a neighborhood bar. Toxicology reports indicated both men had elevated blood-alcohol levels. Hauser's level was .277; Biedermann's was .226.

Biedermann testified that Hauser invited him back to Hauser's apartment after the bartender cut Biedermann off. When they got to the apartment, Hauser threatened to sexually assault and kill him, Biedermann testified.

Closing arguments begin this morning. The jury is expected to begin deliberations early this afternoon.
bav

United States

#56 Jul 13, 2009
Sobs erupted in the courtroom Friday as a jury found 30-year-old Joseph Biedermann not guilty of murdering a Hoffman Estates neighbor, who died after being stabbed 61 times.
A relieved Biedermann exhaled, his lawyer gripped his arm, his mother sobbed and hugged his father. Across the aisle, the family of Terrance Hauser sobbed too, but for entirely different reasons.
The eight-woman, four-man jury issued its decision shortly after 5:30 p.m. Friday, about five hours after beginning deliberations over Biedermann, charged with the 2008 stabbing death of the 38-year-old Hauser, known to his family by his middle name, Michael.
The jury had the option of finding Biedermann guilty or not of first-degree murder after the defense declined to include the option of a second-degree murder verdict. The all-or-nothing approach worked.
A visibly shaken Biedermann left the courthouse a free man shortly after 6 p.m.
"I would like to be with my family and be with God," he said.
"We're just happy he's coming home," said his mother.
Biedermann claims he killed Hauser in self-defense after Hauser threatened to sexually assault and kill him in the early morning hours of March 5, 2008, in Hauser's home in the 2200 block of Hassell Road in Hoffman Estates. Biedermann testified that he stabbed Hauser with Hauser's own medieval-style dagger as the two men struggled.
Closing arguments Friday echoed the themes the lawyers advanced in their opening statements.
"A picture speaks a thousands words," said Cook County Assistant State's Attorney Mike Clarke, as he showed the jury crime scene photographs. "And the pictures in this case speak volumes."
Clarke called Hauser's death "nothing less than a cold, brutal, senseless, killing" committed by a defendant who lied.
Biedermann claimed that Hauser invited him back to Hauser's apartment several hours after they met for the first time at a neighborhood bar near where both men lived in the Barrington Lakes Apartment Complex. Both men were intoxicated. Toxicology reports indicated Hauser's blood-alcohol content was .277; Biedermann's was .226.
Clarke refuted Biedermann's charges, saying the room showed no signs of a struggle. No chairs were overturned, wine glasses remained upright on a coffee table, and two video game guitars remained undisturbed. He also contrasted Biedermann's minor injuries to Hauser's 61 stab wounds including significant wounds to his jugular vein, lungs, kidney, pancreas and abdomen, any of which could have caused his death.
"He may be presumed innocent, but he's not presumed honest," said Clarke. "There are more holes in his story than a piece os Swiss cheese."
Defense attorney Sam Adam Jr. refuted prosecutors' claims.
"The state said there was no struggle, the medical examiner testified there was," said Adam, referring to Dr. Ponni Arunkumar's testimony regarding Biedermann's DNA found under Hauser's fingernails.
After the incident, Biedermann ran to his apartment, leaving his coat, shoes and wallet behind, Adam said. He banged on the door and yelled at his girlfriend, Ana Oleszkiewicz, to call 911 while he kept repeating: "Why did he do that? Why did this happen to me?" Adam said.
"When a man stabs a man 61 times there's a reason," Adam said. It wasn't robbery; nothing was stolen. It wasn't drugs; toxicology reports indicated both men tested negative for any drug but alcohol, Adam said. It wasn't jealousy; the men didn't know each other.
The reason was self-defense, Adam said, a claim Biedermann testified he made repeatedly while being treated for his injuries at St. Alexius Medical Center. He said he told a nurse a man tried to rape and kill him. The nurse did not testify.
Adam then posited a scenario where all the facts were the same save for one.
wecaer

Chicago, IL

#57 Jul 14, 2009
Janey wrote:
CAN WE TALK ABOUT THE MURDER, PLEASE! Can anyone tell me about the Murder trail? How long of a sentence did Joseph Biedermann get? I hope it was 2 life sencences. At trail did he explain anything about why he did this? Did he show any remorse?
Biedermann was acquitted of 1st degree murder charges by the jury and walked out court a free man. He claimed that he stabbed his host 61 times in order to fend off an unwanted sexual advance.
ksm

Wentzville, MO

#58 Feb 25, 2010
i went to jr and high school with the guy. he always seemed a little strange
Janey

Ashland, KY

#59 Jan 2, 2012
How could you not have heard anything? I liked on the bottom floor of the killers building and heard the front door slam shut and the girlfriend scream a few moments later. There had to be some one yelling stop, no.
We use to be able to hear the guy above us making love or playing drums on the kitchen counter. We have always wondered how you could not have heard anything upstairs or across the hall.
MPG

United States

#60 Jul 3, 2012
This guy is obvisouly GUILTY!!!! WHy he was acquited is horrible!!! This ma lied. I live in the same appartmetn complex and have seen this man at the neighborhood inn, the bar they "met" at. NO gay guy can walk into that bar and pick someone up. It just doesnt happen!!! Im a gay man and that just wouldnt happen there.
If you read between all the lines, these guys were having a relationship for a while. What I think happened is the Hauser guy wanted things to go farther and Beidermann didnt want anyoen finding out and they got in a squabble that night and to protect his "straight" identity he killed the man.
NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE, goes to an openly gay mans appartment at 1:30 in the morning to "hang out" Lets get real people!!!!
eric matthews

Hoffman Estates, IL

#61 Apr 25, 2013
sorry but section 8 needs to be sent somewhere else. Hoffman estates where I live use to be nice. Now all the trash has been sent here. Paying with link cards to get cheetos and soda. The people that live across from my house are trash. random people coming and going. throwing trash on the street. screens hanging out of windows. Their pitbulls running around loose. There is no excuse to be on welfare if you are healthy. The more kids they have the more money they get. You should live with people that are like you hard workers that bought a house in a nice place. Not to share is with lazy trash.

Since: Jan 15

Elk Grove Village, IL

#62 Jan 4, 2015
Janey wrote:
How could you not have heard anything? I liked on the bottom floor of the killers building and heard the front door slam shut and the girlfriend scream a few moments later. There had to be some one yelling stop, no.
We use to be able to hear the guy above us making love or playing drums on the kitchen counter. We have always wondered how you could not have heard anything upstairs or across the hall.
Can you tell me what aprt building you lived in? I live in the complex now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Prospect Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sahara Inn Thu John 1
Marisa Dister Jul 19 Whoever 1
Red Light Violations.Com (Mar '09) Jul 16 Daynawife 42
News Geneva man hit by train (Jan '06) Jul 13 Captain Cracker 29
News Police: Molester taped assaults of Villa Park t... Jul 13 Elio 2
News Police involved in fatal Summit shooting (Apr '06) Jul 12 Rip 549
Mayor Piltavar Jul 10 William 4

Mount Prospect Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance