Teachers get lesson in how to work with students with autism

Full story: Chicago Tribune
Sam Felde, a slight, red-haired 8-year-old with autism, became frustrated as he sorted plastic silverware into cups as part of a teacher training session. Full Story
JLW

Irving, TX

#2 Aug 1, 2008
Another idea might be to teach functional skills. I'd get frustrated if you asked me to sort plastic silverware into cups.
Katy

Oakland, CA

#3 Aug 1, 2008
Yeah, if the kid is non-verbal, he's probably thinking to himself "OK, I GET IT, FORKS AND SPOONS.DUH. I AM AUTISTIC, NOT RETARDED."
When they start treating kids with autism as intelligent people worthy of respect, maybe they'd have less "melt-downs".
Michelle

Chicago, IL

#4 Jan 20, 2010
Giving birth to the child you are speaking of....sorting things IS a functional skill; if Sam (which might be the future for him) has to work in a sheltered workshop or at a grocery store if that is what he is functionally able to do as an adult, this skill is essential to have. And Katy, you're right, Sam is autistic HOWEVER, he does have learning disabilities that one might clinically say that he has some mental retardation. You haven't seen any information about my child other than a newspaper article. Sam IS treated with respect, love, and caring, not only from his teachers (who were NOT in that article) but from his friends and family. His meltdowns usually occur when he cannot communicate his frustrations, which myself and his teachers and therapists are addressing; teaching him how to appropriately cope with feelings and emotions...
Cicero Mailman

Cicero, IL

#5 Nov 27, 2012
Man are autistic men ever so sick and gross! They are far worse than pedophiles! They NEVER keep their creepy ass hands to themselves! They are ALWAYS begging for attention! They have NO PLACE on this Earth! They are especially creepy and nasty when they move to another region, like this creep mentioned in http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/2012/01/18/out-... just tried to do a couple months ago!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Prospect Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
R.McScambell ,Sean Sullivan, Serpico 4 hr James 7
McScambells Blog Sucks! 4 hr James 5
Fagiano Diapers? (Mar '14) 12 hr big Tony 6
Frank Faggiano and John Wasilenko (Dec '13) Thu Roxanna Jiggles l... 5
Who is the worst cop? (Apr '13) Thu Roxanna Jiggles l... 12
Szeszol named River Grove Library trustee (Mar '10) Thu Deep Throat 842
The Auxiliary of NorthShore University HealthSy... Wed Amy S 1
Mount Prospect Dating
Find my Match

Mount Prospect Jobs