Write to Know: Does anyone remember M...

Write to Know: Does anyone remember Manitou Cottages?

There are 87 comments on the Pocono Record story from Mar 21, 2008, titled Write to Know: Does anyone remember Manitou Cottages?. In it, Pocono Record reports that:

Q: Does anyone remember and know the location of the Manitou Lodge/Cottages from the 1960s? K.S. Southeastern Pennsylvania A: Manitou Cottages and Motel were located on Wigwam Park Road in Stroud Township. via Pocono Record

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pocono Record.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Rosemary

Andes, NY

#81 Jul 10, 2012
I had vacationed at Onawa Lodge with my aunt and uncle....back in the 50's.
Had a great time .......What happened to the place? At that time a young blond fellow .......Stan Cheslock.....was working there as an activities director.
Red

Shelton, CT

#82 Oct 22, 2012
So funny....my Family also vacationed there in the early '80's. Are there any pictures of this place now?
Red

Shelton, CT

#83 Oct 22, 2012
OMG - my family vacationed there in the early '80's. We always had a good time. What are they now...apartments?
Lisa wrote:
My family used to vacation at Manitou Cottages for the month of August during the late 70's and early to mid 80's. After the Jarret's, the Maniers then owned the cottages for a number of years before they sold it to the Spencer family. We all have a lot of great memories of our times there and would love to get in touch with several families who we befriended over the years!
John Gormley

United States

#84 Apr 21, 2013
too cool to find this site as I worked two winters on weekends to get the Lodge ready for summer and two summers at ONAWA lodge when it was a sports camp in the early 70's it was the best of times for me and two class mate the pay was $100.00 a week and at the end if summer we got a check for $1,000.00 what a great place for high school kids to work and spend the summer
loose stool

Ashland, PA

#85 Apr 21, 2013
John Gormley wrote:
too cool to find this site as I worked two winters on weekends to get the Lodge ready for summer and two summers at ONAWA lodge when it was a sports camp in the early 70's it was the best of times for me and two class mate the pay was $100.00 a week and at the end if summer we got a check for $1,000.00 what a great place for high school kids to work and spend the summer
No doubt as a red diaper baby you sent your hard earned $1000 to J. Stalin.
poconos

Scranton, PA

#86 Aug 11, 2013
The big lake is full again. The small swimming pond is drained. Manitou was a nice little resort at one time. Now, like someone else said, it is more like rental apartments. I remember there being a small store and game room at one time. Anyone remember anything about Molnar's Four Season Resort further up the road from Manitou? I think there was a second Alvin's Cottages right next to the Manitou. I still live about a mile from the Manitou.
rob

Sayville, NY

#87 Sunday Aug 7
Remember Manitu well When we first started going there it was owned by the Jarret family very nice people. They had a daughter named Sue who hung out with us at night. My parents always booked the same week in July and every year we would be there with the same people from mostly all over the NY area. Then they sold the place and the new owner was not exactly what you would call teen friendly. I was friendly with the girls down the road who's parents owned Arnold's Cottages and I remember the new owner of Manitu banning her from coming on the property and my dad telling him tough luck shes our guest here and you cant stop her. Anyway I know this thread is very old but if anyone would like to chat about manitu or remembers me ( Rob ) you can e mail me at Sympat1 @aol.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Pocono Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trail of Trash on I-380 Jul '16 Graba 3
News Monroe County prison employees arrested on sex ... (Mar '07) Jul '16 Anne Trezegnie 38
News Singer Nellie McKay to jazz it up at Allentown'... Apr '16 Lucy Ann 1
News The Go-Go's to perform at Sands as part of fare... Apr '16 Lucy Ann 1
News Winds subsiding overnight Apr '16 Lucy Ann 1
News Police probe allegation of improper teacher-stu... (Apr '12) Mar '16 Opt5 20
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Pennsylvan... (Oct '10) Mar '16 Drums leprechaun 54

Mount Pocono Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mount Pocono Mortgages