Write to Know: Does anyone remember Manitou Cottages?

Mar 21, 2008 Full story: Pocono Record 86

Q: Does anyone remember and know the location of the Manitou Lodge/Cottages from the 1960s? K.S. Southeastern Pennsylvania A: Manitou Cottages and Motel were located on Wigwam Park Road in Stroud Township. via Pocono Record

Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Lisa

Abington, PA

#1 Aug 23, 2008
My family used to vacation at Manitou Cottages for the month of August during the late 70's and early to mid 80's. After the Jarret's, the Maniers then owned the cottages for a number of years before they sold it to the Spencer family. We all have a lot of great memories of our times there and would love to get in touch with several families who we befriended over the years!
Tom

Parkville, MD

#2 Nov 24, 2008
My family vacationed at the Manitou Cottages in the early 70's. I remember catching 15" and 18" rainbow trout from under the drain pipe that crossed under the road between the pond and the stream across the street. One actually pulled my cousin in the water when it struck his line that drifted under the pipe. Good eating....
Andrea

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Feb 12, 2010
Hello! My family owned Manitou (Spencer Family). Are you looking for one family in particular? My parents are still friendly with many of the summer familes that came to saty with us.:)

Since: Jul 09

Stillwater, PA

#4 Feb 12, 2010
Can you tell me where Manitou Cottages is/was? Thank you.
Andrea

Los Angeles, CA

#5 Feb 12, 2010
Wigwam Park Road, Stroudsburg, PA. It is no longer a resort though. Thx!
friend

Brookville, PA

#6 Mar 13, 2010
Andrea wrote:
Wigwam Park Road, Stroudsburg, PA. It is no longer a resort though. Thx!
what happened
oneeye

Stroudsburg, PA

#7 Mar 13, 2010
This thread was up a month or two ago and the same people posted the same things...smells to me.
Andrea

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Mar 17, 2010
After my family sold the resort, it was turned into more of an apartment complex....the lake dried up, they built a structure on the main lawn, etc. Very sad to see it go.
oneeye

Stroudsburg, PA

#9 Mar 17, 2010
Andrea wrote:
After my family sold the resort, it was turned into more of an apartment complex....the lake dried up, they built a structure on the main lawn, etc. Very sad to see it go.
I don't think anyone is interested in your sentimental musings. Why do you keep resurrecting this thread? You asked a question a person replied so be it. No one cares!

Since: Sep 09

Swiftwater,PA

#10 Mar 17, 2010
Andrea wrote:
Andrea,
Just out of curiosity; didnít the lake have problems with pollution? Then the State condemned the dam? Tom, the trout were hiding upstream in the culvert looking for cleaner water!
Perhaps I am wrong? I donít mean any offense. I am just trying to recall local news stories about the resort.
oneeye; behave yourself! You must be having a bad day.
Andrea

Los Angeles, CA

#11 Mar 17, 2010
Hi fisheye!

Not while my family owned it. It was a man made lake, and my father drained it and dredged it once a year. The water source was not directly connected to the stream. In other words, the trout were not hiding there, they could go anywhere else:)

It's possible that happened after my parents sold it, that was 1985.

Swiftwater,PA

#12 Mar 17, 2010
Andrea wrote:
Hi fisheye!
Not while my family owned it. It was a man made lake, and my father drained it and dredged it once a year. The water source was not directly connected to the stream. In other words, the trout were not hiding there, they could go anywhere else:)
It's possible that happened after my parents sold it, that was 1985.
Thanks Andrea,
I think that I recall an article about how it would cost over $100,000 to fix the dam to State standards? I used to drive that road all the time. I was sorry to see the lake go.
If I was not busy; I would try to pull up the old news stories.

Pittston, PA

#13 Mar 17, 2010
Say, Manitou was near Alvin's Cabins I think. Are they still there. A friend rented one for a couple nights; very nice and quiet. just wondering and "wandering" back through time....
oneeye

Stroudsburg, PA

#14 Mar 17, 2010
fisheye wrote:
<quoted text>
Andrea,
Just out of curiosity; didnít the lake have problems with pollution? Then the State condemned the dam? Tom, the trout were hiding upstream in the culvert looking for cleaner water!
Perhaps I am wrong? I donít mean any offense. I am just trying to recall local news stories about the resort.
oneeye; behave yourself! You must be having a bad day.
Hi fisheye...not too bad of a day. But, this thread is a joke. Have you noticed that she/he first posted in 2008? They keep coming back when they want to post here.

Will try to behave from now on....

Swiftwater,PA

#15 Mar 17, 2010
oneeye wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi fisheye...not too bad of a day. But, this thread is a joke. Have you noticed that she/he first posted in 2008? They keep coming back when they want to post here.
Will try to behave from now on....
oneeye,
My parents, grandparents, in laws and many friends were in the resort business. Many reminisce about the old times. Some of the small, older resorts were very quaint and the vacationers developed a bond with the owners - some owners thought of the vacationers as their extended family. I can understand where Andrea and a two year old post are coming from.
Years ago; the idea was to come to the Poconoís to escape the city life. Some of these resorts had no phone service. You had to travel to a service station to place a ďbusinessĒ call. Some vacationers came here on the train - we did have service back then. It was a different time and a different world.

Pittston, PA

#16 Mar 17, 2010
I don't understand why you think this thread is a joke. People often like to look back at things the way they once were. I can't imagine why you are so annoyed by these questions. and if it bothers you, why do you bother to read and post on this thread? What is wrong with people wanting to re-connect? I think it was a clever way to get information.

Swiftwater,PA

#17 Mar 17, 2010
Guest wrote:
Say, Manitou was near Alvin's Cabins I think. Are they still there. A friend rented one for a couple nights; very nice and quiet. just wondering and "wandering" back through time....
Guest,
Alvinís Cottages is located on Route 715 - about half way between Tannersville and Henryville. It was not too far from Manitou Cottages. However; Manitou was located on Wigwam Park Road.
Alvinís is still listed; if you Google it: http://www.800poconos.com/listings/index.cfm...
cat48

Pittston, PA

#18 Mar 17, 2010
Agree fisheye, the little resorts of the poconos of long ago are fun to remember. I worked in one of those while in college - "Pocono Mountain Inn in the Sky - PMI in the Sky" near Canadensis. Walt Fossa,sr was the owner; he and wife had a cottage on the premises. Their son, Walt, jr. was a bit of wise guy but fun as I'm sure he tried to fit in with resort life and normal teen life. I think it was sold for time shares - a private community and nowadays I don't know if it exists. Yes, people vacationed there year after year. We girls who waited tables and did maid service lived in the attic of the main inn. One of the maids was lovely older local woman, Belle, who had worked for many years as a chambermaid there; she taught me "the ropes". The view was spectacular and by the end of the summer, we all felt like family. Believe it or not, we often hitched a ride into Eastburg to shop at the "Big N" and hitched back - never fearing a thing and always getting a ride from a friendly local or tourist. Believe me, the Pocono's was a very different place back then; sure do miss it. Sometimes change isn't always good.
oneeye

Stroudsburg, PA

#19 Mar 17, 2010
cat48 wrote:
Agree fisheye, the little resorts of the poconos of long ago are fun to remember. I worked in one of those while in college - "Pocono Mountain Inn in the Sky - PMI in the Sky" near Canadensis. Walt Fossa,sr was the owner; he and wife had a cottage on the premises. Their son, Walt, jr. was a bit of wise guy but fun as I'm sure he tried to fit in with resort life and normal teen life. I think it was sold for time shares - a private community and nowadays I don't know if it exists. Yes, people vacationed there year after year. We girls who waited tables and did maid service lived in the attic of the main inn. One of the maids was lovely older local woman, Belle, who had worked for many years as a chambermaid there; she taught me "the ropes". The view was spectacular and by the end of the summer, we all felt like family. Believe it or not, we often hitched a ride into Eastburg to shop at the "Big N" and hitched back - never fearing a thing and always getting a ride from a friendly local or tourist. Believe me, the Pocono's was a very different place back then; sure do miss it. Sometimes change isn't always good.
I remember all those things also, and it was a better time. All I am saying is that something is wrong when a poster posts something in 2008, one thing in 2009 and another in 2010. Does one post a year sound normal. The person surly must have had to look long and hard to find this thread and resurrect it again.
janet

East Stroudsburg, PA

#20 Mar 17, 2010
oneeye wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember all those things also, and it was a better time. All I am saying is that something is wrong when a poster posts something in 2008, one thing in 2009 and another in 2010. Does one post a year sound normal. The person surly must have had to look long and hard to find this thread and resurrect it again.
you are one nasty dude let these people have their memories,if you dont like it take a hike

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Pocono Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fugitive Frein sighting puts Pocono Mts. on hig... Oct 20 FrankenFREIN 1
Frein may have been spotted Friday, police said Oct 20 Doubting Thomas 1
Beware of coyotes across county (Nov '08) Oct 15 rich 15
Sources: On the run, Frein tried to call parents Oct 14 Kelly 2
Pocono Medical Center plans new ER in Tannersville Oct 12 ebola is coming 2
Monroe County 911 Dispatchers Helping Hunt For ... Oct 2 RBurgert 1
Police stressed but determined to find Frein Sep 24 run from Hazleton 2
Mount Pocono Dating
Find my Match

Mount Pocono Jobs