gilmer county judge dean fowler under...

gilmer county judge dean fowler under grand jury indictment

Posted in the Mount Pleasant Forum

You Get What You Dish Out

Mount Pleasant, TX

#1 Dec 30, 2010
FROM CHANNEL 7 KTLV NEWS and the KLTV NEWS WEBSITE: DECEMBER 30, 2010
News Story is at: http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp ...#
The newstory and video is on the KLTV website
Three Upshur County Officials were charged with official oppression and abuse of official capacity by a grand jury.
Sheriff Anthony Betteron, Judge Dean Fowler, and precinct 3 Commissioner Lloyd Crabtree all turned themselves in after they were charged.
These charges stem from the Upshur County Commissioner's court ending public comments at meetings.
KLTV has also learned that Upshur County Judge Dean Fowler cast the tie-breaking vote to once again, allow public comment at meetings.
For weeks, residents taped their mouths shut in silent protest during the meetings. Some even wore their disgust with the rule on their sleeves, wearing shirts that read "Can you hear me now?"
Public comment will be allowed at the next meeting, but two new commissioners are expected to join the court after the first of the year.
I just checked the Upshur County Judical Records, not any of the 3 were booked in or mug shots taken. If your charged, you have to be arrested and if your arrested you have to be booked in. Are these 3 being given special treatment? I and the rest of the citizens of Upshur County would like to know why these three seem to have been given very preferential treatment.
Fowler is well known in Gilmer for using his "official capacity" to be harsh on those that are opposed to him and very light on those that are not. I've not run into him, but know others that have, so all I can say is,"What comes around goes around." I know most of Upshur County is getting a silent revenge on Fowler tonight through this news story. Many have started the New Year's Celebration early because of this.
UpshurCountyCiti zen

East Peoria, IL

#2 Jan 1, 2011
This is too funny!
LindaS

East Peoria, IL

#3 Jan 2, 2011
I agree, this has made my day!
Natalie

United States

#4 Jan 3, 2011
LindaS wrote:
I agree, this has made my day!
Not to many are getting a kick out of it. He sure had a lot of votes this last election. I think he is a great man.
Natalie

United States

#5 Jan 3, 2011
I know one thing Mr. Bryd needs to be taken out of his office. I will do all I can to make this happen in the next election.
Stacy

East Peoria, IL

#6 Jan 3, 2011
Well, if you are living in Missouri that may be a little hard to do (kicking Byrd out that is). Byrd is an ass, but small in comparison to Fowler and all the screw ups Fowler has done for Upshur County. Fowler got votes because being the incompetent he is he switched from the Democratic Party to the Republican Party. Ooops did ya miss that big change? Also, he is an incompetent attorney that has to play the role of a county judge because he cannot make it otherwise as an attorney. So, oops missed that again. Also Fowler has done many unethical and questionable acts as judge which has brought him in the light of the Texas Rangers and other officials. He has squeeked by, but his time is limited. The people of Upshur County just think "an attorney" in the position would do a good job. The majority of people there have not thought about why an attorney would want to do a small town judge job. You probably have not thought of this either. The answer is plain and simple. He cannot make it as an attorney. He has tried for years and has never made a go of it. Many of the attorneys in Gilmer will tell you they take any case they can get just to keep making ends meet. I've known Dean all his life and if there is one word to describe him it is LAZY. So, he has the perfect job. If you think he is a great man then I pity you for you have no standards.
Ralph

East Peoria, IL

#7 Jan 3, 2011
What's even funnier that has been missed is, "If this guy is an attorney why didn't he know that he was screwing up when he was screwing up? I think Stacy is right. The guy is lazy and slept through law school. I also know that he has an attitude and puts everyone beneath him. He doesnt' mind calling the commissioners names at court. How mature for an "attorney." Glad to see that Dean is getting a taste of his own medicine for a change. Maybe he will think twice about what he does from now on. Gilmer is looking forward to seeing Dean go to court! How bad is it when you are an attorney and then have to hire an attorney to represent you in court. Clearly Dean is not confident enough in his skills as an lawyer to pull himself out of this bind. LOL!
Fined

East Peoria, IL

#8 Jan 4, 2011
Go Billy Byrd!!!! Get money out of this A __. Like he and you got out of me one time. I just hate seeing one of Gilmer's notable's busted.:)
Natalie

United States

#9 Jan 4, 2011
I am from Diana Tx not MO. I know Judge Fowler too very well. He is by no means lazy. If You think you could be a better Judge you run. You don't have to be an attorney to be a county judge. Mr Bryd is wasteing the tax payers money.
Natalie

United States

#10 Jan 4, 2011
Now it says I from AR. I am proud to be from Diana Tx
Nan

Mount Pleasant, TX

#11 Jan 4, 2011
Natalie wrote:
I am from Diana Tx not MO. I know Judge Fowler too very well. He is by no means lazy. If You think you could be a better Judge you run. You don't have to be an attorney to be a county judge. Mr Bryd is wasteing the tax payers money.
Well, well, so it's getting a little more serious. What is not being said because of Folwers buddy, Judge Lauren Parish, putting out a gag order on the case?

UPSHUR COUNTY, TX (KLTV)– Upshur County Judge Dean Fowler has been suspended with pay after recent indictments by a grand jury. Judge Fowler and County Commissioner Lloyd Crabtree were both charged with official oppression and abuse of capacity. Sheriff Anthony Betterton was also indicted on official oppression.
The charges stem from the court's ban on public comment, and for removing a man who placed duct tape over his mouth in protest.
Gerald

Mount Pleasant, TX

#12 Jan 4, 2011
Natalie wrote:
Maybe they should teach you to read in Diana, Texas. You questions are answered if you would read them. Fowler has wasted taxpayer money for years. Not lazy, an attorney playing an 8-5 county judge, instead of practicing law as an attorney?? Your a big supporter of Dean, what are you...one of his many ex girlfriends?
From Above:
Well, if you are living in Missouri that may be a little hard to do (kicking Byrd out that is). Byrd is an ass, but small in comparison to Fowler and all the screw ups Fowler has done for Upshur County. Fowler got votes because being the incompetent he is he switched from the Democratic Party to the Republican Party. Ooops did ya miss that big change? Also, he is an incompetent attorney that has to play the role of a county judge because he cannot make it otherwise as an attorney. So, oops missed that again. Also Fowler has done many unethical and questionable acts as judge which has brought him in the light of the Texas Rangers and other officials. He has squeeked by, but his time is limited. The people of Upshur County just think "an attorney" in the position would do a good job. The majority of people there have not thought about why an attorney would want to do a small town judge job. You probably have not thought of this either. The answer is plain and simple. He cannot make it as an attorney. He has tried for years and has never made a go of it. Many of the attorneys in Gilmer will tell you they take any case they can get just to keep making ends meet. I've known Dean all his life and if there is one word to describe him it is LAZY. So, he has the perfect job. If you think he is a great man then I pity you for you have no standards.
Ron

Mount Pleasant, TX

#14 Jan 6, 2011
I hope he gets to pick up trash on the sides of the highway for the next year for his probation.
Jay

Mount Pleasant, TX

#16 Jan 10, 2011
Wonder what he's doing at home with no job to go to? Probably same thing he was doing when he was at work, nothing much. Hope the ACLU gives him a taste of his own medicine.
Laughing

East Peoria, IL

#17 Jan 12, 2011
I'm also glad to see him getting a dose of his own medicine.
James

Mount Pleasant, TX

#18 Jan 20, 2011
Ron wrote:
I hope he gets to pick up trash on the sides of the highway for the next year for his probation.
HA, I vote for this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Pleasant Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
looking for rental houses 5 hr Samj 2
News Texas State Medical Board disciplines ETX doctor (Jan '13) Aug 30 Krista 11
Former Daingerfield High student set to go on t... (Apr '14) Aug '16 Patrick Hill 5
Dangerfield High School Grad convicted of Medic... Aug '16 Patrick Hill 1
gay places (Jan '11) Jul '16 bottom63 27
Nikki Renee Jul '16 Texarkana 1
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jun '16 robert 994

Mount Pleasant Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mount Pleasant Mortgages