Harboring the big guns | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Visitors to Fort Sumter can see how isolated the island is. More photos Steve Stephens Dispatch The trip to Fort Sumter includes a narrated tour of historic Charleston Harbor.
Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated May 14, 2011
Steven Streets

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2011

Judged:

Hot buttered grits.
My own Mil history started a epic voyage there. My first flight in some loud DC3 type contraption. To Atlanta where I got an endless first jet ride. To Port Columbus, Travis AFB, and on to Honolulu, Wake Island, and Tokyo.
And back..konked out all the way on pink champagne (me 11 years old, Mom knew how to travel with me by then). The short way home.
Lfod

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2011

The USS YORKTOWN CV-10 is in danger of being scrapped. She has not been drydocked since 1970 and the hull at the waterline is in terrible shape from corrosion. The best chance to save her is donate to the museum to fund hull repairs via a cofferdam or dryberthing.
John E Reinier SR

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2011

Though story is about Charleston's civil war and other military history it mentions "The gorgeous Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge" I've raved about in the past. The Ravenel serves as a backdrop in one photo above. Even more interesting is photo 9-of-11 of a related slide show in which the design of the Ravenel's arches and fan-like cables mimic the fuselage and wing design of jets on the USS Yorktown aircraft carrier. You gotta see it!
John E Reinier SR

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2011

Though story is about Charleston's civil war and other military history it mentions "The gorgeous Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge" I've raved about in the past. The Ravenel serves as backdrop for one photo. Even more interesting is photo 9-of-11 of a related slide show in which the design of the Ravenel's arches and fan-like cables mimic the fuselage and wing design of jets on the USS Yorktown aircraft carrier. You gotta see it!
JPE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2011

Judged:

By the time of Ft Sumter, another tall, skinny tyrant from Illinois had promised war on the Southern states --not to 'free the slaves' but to 'preserve the union' i.e. ensure that the golden goose that fed the federal government continued to do so. Against the advise of his cabinet the tyrant sent a resupply ship to Charleston knowing that the Confederates would have no choice but to attack the Fort. Anderson was given plenty of advance notice, hence no casualties.

The actual first shots of the 'civil war' were fired at Fort Barracas, Florida in January '61 by the United States. In Jefferson Davis' innaugural address he cites this as a reason to encourage the Confederate Congress to raise an army & navy.

Ohio's role in the war should be viewed with contempt, not praise. The wrong side won and the history of the US since has been one federal intrusion after another, by both parties, and especially from the latest iteration of tall, skinny tyrant from Illinois.

JPE
Columbus, Ohio
momof7

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2011

Good story about my favorite place on earth. Charleston is a wonderful city to visit, and I have been to all of the places talked about in the article. The city has a feeling of history, pride and adventure. A place everyone should experience at least once. I try to go at least once each year. It never gets old. I recently found out that my great great grandfather fought in the Civil war, although for the North of course. He was involved in battles in SC and Georgia, so my next trip down there will be seen through different eyes.
Ralph Mouth

Napa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2011

It would be good to see some confederate history. Who won our Civil War? Did another country get involved like the United States is getting involved in another countries civil war.
KASICH THE IDIOT

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2011

JPE wrote:
By the time of Ft Sumter, another tall, skinny tyrant from Illinois had promised war on the Southern states --not to 'free the slaves' but to 'preserve the union' i.e. ensure that the golden goose that fed the federal government continued to do so. Against the advise of his cabinet the tyrant sent a resupply ship to Charleston knowing that the Confederates would have no choice but to attack the Fort. Anderson was given plenty of advance notice, hence no casualties.
The actual first shots of the 'civil war' were fired at Fort Barracas, Florida in January '61 by the United States. In Jefferson Davis' innaugural address he cites this as a reason to encourage the Confederate Congress to raise an army & navy.
Ohio's role in the war should be viewed with contempt, not praise. The wrong side won and the history of the US since has been one federal intrusion after another, by both parties, and especially from the latest iteration of tall, skinny tyrant from Illinois.
JPE
Columbus, Ohio
I suppose you fly the stars and bars outside your trailer at the trailer park.
ICU

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2011

JPE wrote:
JPE
Columbus, Ohio
I thought that general Sherman taught you Southern trash some manners
Dennis

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

Steve's article is a great snapshot of one of America's special places. In times past my wife and I took our three nephews to Patriots Point and they loved it. A great hand's on lesson in history, confict and the weapons of war they demand.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Mount Pleasant Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Mount Pleasant Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••