Are Isle of Palms Police too big for ...

Are Isle of Palms Police too big for their britches?

There are 20 comments on the www.islandeyenews.sc story from May 14, 2008, titled Are Isle of Palms Police too big for their britches?. In it, www.islandeyenews.sc reports that:

Isle of Palms, SC- Recently on the Isle of Palms, some residents and visitors have noted that the police are little too overzealous when it comes to enforcing the law. Reports of rude officers who are quick to write a ticket abound. But does all this noise really have a foundation?

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.islandeyenews.sc.

Psyche

Mount Pleasant, SC

#1 May 27, 2008
Rude isn't the word for the Isle of Palms police. They take there job just a little too far. There is nothing wrong with enforcing the law but there is a way to talk to people. I have had encounters with them and they are very rude and they talk to you in a child-like manner like just because they are wearing a badge that you are beneath them and they have the upper hand. I really think they all should have a personality test done.
mr royalty

Rome, NY

#2 Mar 26, 2010
I remember back in the seventies and eightys they were totally corrupt.
Preston Sandlin

Ladson, SC

#3 Jun 14, 2013
This is the most unprofessional law enforcement outfit I have ever encountered. My wife and I decided to go to Isle of Palms and Stay at Wild Dunes. We rode bicycles in from Wild Dunes into Isle of Palms. We were hot and sweaty and stopped at the BP station in the middle of town and got some Lifewater, Diet Coke, and 1 Michelob Ultra. We had no place to sit so we just sat on their side of the gas station. An Isles Palms police officer drives up and proceeds to tell me he should lock me up and take me to jail and how stupid I am (I am not kidding and I am a 44 year old business owner, married father of two) He proceeded to tell me how stupid I was 4 times threatened to lock me up twice.. He told the other Officer Johnson who then drove up to write me a "STUPID TICKET' The ticket is $1095. My wife and I weren't aware of this law or this ordinance nor were we ever anything less than respectful to the law enforcement. The two things that are so appalling are our treatment by the Isle of Palms Police and the amount of the fine. We would have gladly thrown it away and this police drama was totally unnecessary. I would not like to go back to Isle of Palms and wouldn't advise anyone else to go there if this is how they treat people contributing to their economy. I would recommend another beach with more professional police.

Code 3

Mount Pleasant, SC

#4 Jun 18, 2013
Before you visit you should read the laws! Those cops get a lot of pressure from their council and from the citizens to take care of these issues. You get mad at a cop doing his/her job,that is amazing. Bet when your screaming like a little girl because you and your family are in serious trouble you will love to see that officer that wrote you that ticket when he's there to put his life on the line to protect you and your family!!! We're you drinking a beer in public? Sounds like the answer is yes, so you broke the law. Quite your bitching and take it like a man!!!

“Lovely Conservative”

Since: Jan 13

Whatever It Takes!

#5 Jun 18, 2013
Never had an a problem with any of the Police there, since I don't break the law.
IOP Native

Charleston, SC

#6 Jun 22, 2013
You were drinking beer next to the gas station? What sort of barbarian are you?
Perhaps the officers were correct in their assessment of you.
Local

United States

#7 Jun 23, 2013
People who live on the island want the laws enforced ... Especially the drinking laws ... since we are inundated with tourists half the year who treat our home as if it was a playground. Imagine if your neighborhood was over-run with people who do as they please and loudly trash the place every weekend. Our cops are over zealous, I know because I drive too fast and pay the tickets way too often. I don't mind it to keep my home safer, I wouldn't have it any other way. Most of the people who live here couldn't care less about your tourist money. We would prefer to keep our island quiet and let Myrtle beach's economy benefit. If I was allowed to build a gate and make the island residents-only, I'd do it today.
IOP Native

Charlotte, NC

#8 Jun 23, 2013
I wouldn't say they are "overzealous," for they do well the job for which they are paid, and do so in a fair and impartial manner.

That said, I like tourists and tourist money, for it pays the salaries of our public safety personnel and keeps our city taxes low.

Welcome to Isle of Palms; please show our home the same respect you would show your mother's living room.
Sandlapper

Isle Of Palms, SC

#9 Jun 23, 2013
Did you complete your imitation of a street thug by putting the beer in a brown paper bag?

Geez, man...show some pride. If the cop did call you stupid, it may have been the understatement of the week. Be a man and take your licks.
JoeBuckYourself

Jacksonville, FL

#10 Jun 23, 2013
I'm sure the IOP and its citizens will be sad to miss out on people like you coming to the island. I've seen your same post on 4 different sites now, Preston. Maybe if you do enough crying, someone will listen to you. Perhaps you could call up your arresting officer. I'm sure he'd be happy to give you a hug.
JoeBuckYourself

Jacksonville, FL

#11 Jun 23, 2013
Preston Sandlin wrote:
This is the most unprofessional law enforcement outfit I have ever encountered. My wife and I decided to go to Isle of Palms and Stay at Wild Dunes. We rode bicycles in from Wild Dunes into Isle of Palms. We were hot and sweaty and stopped at the BP station in the middle of town and got some Lifewater, Diet Coke, and 1 Michelob Ultra. We had no place to sit so we just sat on their side of the gas station. An Isles Palms police officer drives up and proceeds to tell me he should lock me up and take me to jail and how stupid I am (I am not kidding and I am a 44 year old business owner, married father of two) He proceeded to tell me how stupid I was 4 times threatened to lock me up twice.. He told the other Officer Johnson who then drove up to write me a "STUPID TICKET' The ticket is $1095. My wife and I weren't aware of this law or this ordinance nor were we ever anything less than respectful to the law enforcement. The two things that are so appalling are our treatment by the Isle of Palms Police and the amount of the fine. We would have gladly thrown it away and this police drama was totally unnecessary. I would not like to go back to Isle of Palms and wouldn't advise anyone else to go there if this is how they treat people contributing to their economy. I would recommend another beach with more professional police.
Well, thank you for the overwhelming contribution to the economy. Please don't let the door hit you in the backside on your way out of town.
Island Minstrel

Asheboro, NC

#12 Jun 23, 2013
JoeBuckYourself wrote:
I'm sure the IOP and its citizens will be sad to miss out on people like you coming to the island. I've seen your same post on 4 different sites now, Preston. Maybe if you do enough crying, someone will listen to you. Perhaps you could call up your arresting officer. I'm sure he'd be happy to give you a hug.
What Joe said.

“Lovely Conservative”

Since: Jan 13

Whatever It Takes!

#13 Jul 5, 2013
Why is all of this such an issue? Just abide by the rules and you won't have anything to worry about.
Nunc Pro Tunc

United States

#14 Jul 6, 2013
File complaints with the Civil Right Division of the United States Department of Justice. It is a total waste of time to deal with anyone who has local and/or state jurisdiction over these testosterone filled baboons.

They are all a bunch of swollen head narcissist. I know a two sergeants over at the Charleston County Sheriff's office that this department should hire to train it's officers on how to relate to the tax payers. Both have decades of experience and know how to treat people.
Nunc Pro Tunc

United States

#15 Jul 6, 2013
Sandybottom1 wrote:
Why is all of this such an issue? Just abide by the rules and you won't have anything to worry about.
Your intentional ignorance is noted.
Nunc Pro Tunc

United States

#16 Jul 6, 2013
JoeBuckYourself wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, thank you for the overwhelming contribution to the economy. Please don't let the door hit you in the backside on your way out of town.
You want to see advertisements that warn tourist about Isle of Palms' rude, rogue, and lawless PD and town government?
Nunc Pro Tunc

United States

#17 Jul 6, 2013
Sandlapper wrote:
Did you complete your imitation of a street thug by putting the beer in a brown paper bag?
Geez, man...show some pride. If the cop did call you stupid, it may have been the understatement of the week. Be a man and take your licks.
How about a team of a dozen lawyers take your little pee wee town and turn it all upside down? Don't mess with what you do not understand, fool. Isle of Psychos is a sitting duck.
memories

Syracuse, NY

#18 Jul 7, 2013
I lived there in the seventies and eighties when the island was half developed, loved hiking through the wild half, not its all commercialized and tainted, and yes the police department was very corrupt.
sig226

Charleston, SC

#19 Jul 11, 2013
The fine seems a little strong at over $1000.00 but it's the law. The cop doesn't write the law it's some of the cretins on council that turned our island from Budweiser to Chardonet. Lots on council are from up north and they brought their nanny state ideas with them. We have several good people on council but need to get a couple more to help them fight to get us back to where we were before the small town had 25-30 cops with little to do in the offseason.
viperr68

Lexington, NC

#20 Sep 27, 2015
Local wrote:
People who live on the island want the laws enforced ... Especially the drinking laws ... since we are inundated with tourists half the year who treat our home as if it was a playground. Imagine if your neighborhood was over-run with people who do as they please and loudly trash the place every weekend. Our cops are over zealous, I know because I drive too fast and pay the tickets way too often. I don't mind it to keep my home safer, I wouldn't have it any other way. Most of the people who live here couldn't care less about your tourist money. We would prefer to keep our island quiet and let Myrtle beach's economy benefit. If I was allowed to build a gate and make the island residents-only, I'd do it today.
Cool, my wife and i will not return. I try to be nice to people and say good morning and good evening to people and smile, but i will have to say people in and around ocean isle are some of the rudest people i have encountered. I grew up in a tourist town and realize that there are drawbacks, but that doesnt mean you have to be an ass to everyone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Pleasant Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hillary Clinton is the Antichrist & the daughte... Sep 24 Ryan 29
Marie Hicks Inabinett (Sep '12) Sep 24 Ryan 73
News Mt. Pleasant 7th-grader honored by talent ident... Sep 22 iamheave18 2
News Murder Trial For Accused S. C. Church Shooter S... Sep 22 black lives are a... 1
Hillary "too sick" NOT HEALTHY TO BE President!! Sep 20 TRUMP YES 3
West A Library Taken Over By Rude Northerners Sep 19 eyeCu 4
News Ole Miss removes Mississippi flag with Confeder... (Oct '15) Sep 19 southern at heart 192

Mount Pleasant Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mount Pleasant Mortgages