Would appreciate any info from real r...

Would appreciate any info from real residents of this area

Posted in the Mount Pleasant Forum

Union City, TN

#1 Feb 26, 2011
Thanks for reading...My family and I are planning on moving to the Charleston/Mt Pleasant area within the next year and I was wanting some real information from real people...We have been to the area several times and we absolutely love it..

Where are the best areas to live that are affordable yet nice? Are good jobs hard to come by? I have a college degree but have been a stay at home mom and my husband has 20 yrs in with a large corporation that is now closing its doors...

And the schools there, any suggestions? I have 2 children that will be starting school and schools are the most important aspect of the move for me? I appreciate any info and thanks for taking the time to read!!:)
Likes To Ponder

AOL

#2 Mar 21, 2011
Hi, I just saw your post or I would have responded sooner. I have lived in Mt. Pleasant for almost 30 years and hope the below info helps.

Schools - there are several good public and private elem. schools in Mt. Pleasant, 3 middle schools and 1 massive high school. The private schools are Baptist church schools and go through 12th grade.

Homes - There is a nice mix of new and older neighborhoods. You didn't mention a price range so I will say this.. most of the nicer/newer neighborhoods probably start around $200,000.00 give or take depending on size, location. I have never heard any/many or serious complaints about any of the schools, especially the elem. schools. If you want to live close to the one you like best you would have to tour each, then look for homes within that zone. Jennie Moore at one time accepted children out of their zone, however I do not know if they still do or if their is a wait. The private schools are Baptist church schools.

Jobs - being a stay at home Mom myself I cannot comment on jobs and you didn't mention what line of work. The local paper can be read online at www.postandcourier.com . You can also get a good idea of the price of homes there. Mt. Pleasant has become a rather large town with a large varity of businesses.

Some of the neighborhoods are:

Snee Farm - older, yet nice
Brickyard - newer, very nice, it's made up of several neighborhoods within 1 large one, loads of children. Across the street from Jennie Moore Elem. school.

The Colonnade at Brickyard- newer, smaller, loads of children.

Dunes West - older to newer, several neighborhoods within one. connects with Park West (newer) which is also several neighborhoods within one. There is a primary, elem. and middle school in Park West.

Rivertown - newer, same concept of several neighborhoods in one.

Darrel Creek - further out (up 17) older with some newer homes, pricey.

Hamlin Plantation newer, nice, probably same concept, I haven't been in there much.

There are several neighborhoods off of Rifle Range Rd West Point, Ravens Run (gated). Sorry I don't recall the names of the others. There is also an area known as the "old village."

In general... Mt. Pleasant is probably best described as a middle to upper class area. Traffic can be bad at times, yet you run into that most everywhere. The crime rate is fairly low compared to neighboring cities. Great resturants, good schools, nice people. Very close to the beaches also. Downtown Charleston isn't far, neither is the north area or what us locals call "west ashley." If you like to fish and own a boat, you can launch it from pretty much any neighborhood here. There are many churches of all denoms, and a mega church. 2 hospitals, etc., etc. Good luck in your search and please let me know if I can provide you with any other info. or get you contact info for a realtor. The neighbirhoods I mention should have web sites too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Pleasant Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Latest: FBI: Roof still embraces racist sym... 1 hr joe 6
Hillary Clinton is the Antichrist & the daughte... (Aug '16) 5 hr Investigation 31
News 9 dead in S.C. shooting at historic black churc... (Jun '15) 5 hr Reported 331
Post and Courier to drop Top Link 5 hr Reported 1
News The Confederate flag was always racist (Jun '15) 5 hr Reported 95
Moderator's Name Disclosed By California HQ 5 hr Reported 1
News Grocery store, pharmacy, apartments proposed fo... Feb '17 You Cupid Stunt 2

Mount Pleasant Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mount Pleasant Mortgages