Don't keep company with misery

Don't keep company with misery

There are 6 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 19, 2007, titled Don't keep company with misery. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Dear Abby: I am 18, a freshman in college, and I'm having the hardest time making friends.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Sarah

Colorado Springs, CO

#1 Sep 19, 2007
To add to lonely in NO, I found that finding ways to be comfortable with being alone and to enjoy your own company is a huge help to making other people comfortable. When you enjoy your own company others will too.
Jennifer

Stamford, CT

#2 Sep 19, 2007
Honestly, I think I would ask the son about the dress. Sure in reasonable terms it sounds perfectly fine to wear it, but people who are getting married don't always think reasonably. If the new wife has seen the dress in the old wedding photos she may also get upset - over nothing of course but you never know with bridezillas these days.
TRA

Chicago, IL

#3 Sep 19, 2007
Ask the son about the dress? How many men do you know who would remember a dress their mother wore 8 years ago?

I suggest altering the dress a bit - adding a nice shall, changing the jacket, some little update to make the dress "newer"
ESB

Hines, IL

#4 Sep 19, 2007
I would not wear the same dress. This is a new member of your family and since the other marriage did not end up well this should be a fresh start for everyone including yourself and your new daugher in-law. I agree with Jennifer that she has probably seen pictures from his first wedding and it may make her feel bad or not special.
Candace

Springfield, IL

#5 Sep 19, 2007
I don't think its necessary to go out and by another dress if you have perfectly good one sitting in your closet, regardless of whether or not you wore it to the other wedding.

However, if she's going to be uncomfortable wearing the dress again, I would say by a new one for comforts sake.
J-Kat

Dallas, TX

#6 Sep 19, 2007
That first LW could have been me, almost 40 years ago. I was too shy to speak to people, but then I worked with a woman who walked up to people, introduced herself, and asked their names. I started doing the same thing and I found out that most people appreciate being noticed.

Now, my family and students laugh at me when I say I was shy. They don't believe it.

There are probably dozens of people on that campus who feel the same way the first LW does.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Morris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Conceal carry Nov '16 Eagle Eye CCCLLC 1
News Iowa medical, psychology boards mull conversion... Aug '16 Maggie Gallaghers... 7
looking for my father (Oct '11) Jul '16 Tabatha 7
News Jack F. Apple (Jun '16) Jun '16 Mike 1
Would you hire someone If they had a DUI on the... (Jan '13) Jan '15 Sasdrp 12
News Dear Abby: Dad wants to handle anger (Feb '14) Feb '14 Patrick 1
Tax Lady (Dec '13) Dec '13 Sheeple 1

Mount Morris Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mount Morris Mortgages