First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jul 13

United States

#42 Jul 29, 2013
I'm having my first experience with Tucson Police Dept right now. The police officers Ive dealt with thus far have been very slow to respond but it's because i know they're way understaffed and its union style bureaucracy, Don't have any expectations at all. I filed a 10,000 burglary case with them fortunately, I was able to locate much of my stolen equipment on my own and the sheriffs office helped me recover it out of Tucsons jurisdiction. I couldn't even get Tucson PD to even put the serial numbers of the equipment in their crime data base. And I'm not expecting them to pursue any of the burglars. There too beaten down and overworked. They probably will handle bank robberies but outside of that were all left to fend for ourselves. The only way you can assure yourself good police protection is live in the Pima county sheriffs jurisdiction, they're like a normal police department they do a good job at least for me. Tucson PD. just feel sorry for them that's all you can do getting upset with them doesn't do any good. It's not the officers fault, they've just given up and stopped caring themselves they're just in a broken system and its not going to be repaired anytime soon. So far i experienced a lot of apologies from the officers but no real assistance.
Anni

Rosedale, MD

#43 Nov 2, 2013
looking to retire in Tuscon on a very small pension. What neighborhoods can you recommend that are safe? Looking for a simple home...
adam

Tucson, AZ

#44 Nov 8, 2013
Need Help wrote:
We are looking to move to Tucson and would like to know which neighborhoods are safest.
Thanks for any help!
we moved to Tucson a yr. ago from Tn. you will love it here. actually most of the city is very safe. why not do what we did, rent a place for six months and then look around for what is right for you
DoughNutz

Tewksbury, MA

#45 Nov 9, 2013
Brentahl wrote:
I'm having my first experience with Tucson Police Dept right now. The police officers Ive dealt with thus far have been very slow to respond but it's because i know they're way understaffed and its union style bureaucracy, Don't have any expectations at all. I filed a 10,000 burglary case with them fortunately, I was able to locate much of my stolen equipment on my own and the sheriffs office helped me recover it out of Tucsons jurisdiction. I couldn't even get Tucson PD to even put the serial numbers of the equipment in their crime data base. And I'm not expecting them to pursue any of the burglars. There too beaten down and overworked. They probably will handle bank robberies but outside of that were all left to fend for ourselves. The only way you can assure yourself good police protection is live in the Pima county sheriffs jurisdiction, they're like a normal police department they do a good job at least for me. Tucson PD. just feel sorry for them that's all you can do getting upset with them doesn't do any good. It's not the officers fault, they've just given up and stopped caring themselves they're just in a broken system and its not going to be repaired anytime soon. So far i experienced a lot of apologies from the officers but no real assistance.
Work and PD don't go hand in hand. They spend piles of hours parked looking for moving violations. Criminals and taggers are free to operate here. There's more money in tickets.
WhiteyInSouthTuc son

Tucson, AZ

#46 Dec 4, 2013
Well, I have lived in Tucson off and on for 40 years, My father was a prominent law enforcement officer here,(but I'll not mention his name.)

Little history that most people don't know about Tucson; it was the winter playground of the back east Mafia for most of the 40's - 70's. Bugsey Segal owned a very large home in the foothills. Ive been there and it looks a lot like the old Flamingo Hotel in Vegas. Organized crime pretty much controlled the TPD and Sheriffs office. Whore houses were common and quite tolerated in the county until the mid "70's. Tucson was a good place to lay low and justice was an easy payoff away. But it was a clean, quiet town up till the "80's.

I noticed the biggest changes in the late "80's. That is when the stepped up law enforcement on the coasts drove the drug and illegal immigration runners to come through here as it was easier,(and still is). Gangs became an "in" thing and in less than 5 years, neighborhoods that had never seen graffiti were suddenly covered with it. I lived at 29th and Alvernon at the time and it went from place I could let my kids play outside, to having a man stabbed to death against my front door. Wages always sucked and housing was as expensive as Phoenix, but pay was half that could be earned there. I moved away in 92.

I came back in 97 and now live in "gang central" in the city of South Tucson, just off 6th ave. The "SouthSide" gang house is two doors down from where I live now, but I have had no problems because I drive an old car and look like I'm poor. I lived in total shithole apartment that came vacant because the former tenant was murdered there for calling the cops on a troublemaker. I used to listen to the hookers fight outside my window. But, I used to give the working girls coffee in the winter and let people know I wasnt a person who would tolerate being f**ked with. The hookers told everyone I was "cool" and no one messed with me.

I moved to a house four blocks away and just that short distance made a world of difference. In the last five years, the worst that has happened is Ive had a bike stolen off my back porch and my car rifled through once. I made friends with my neighbors, talk nice to the kids, share food from my garden and eggs from my chickens. My neighbors even called me once to let me know someone was in my yard and they chased the person off. And those neighbors would be called drug dealers in most places. I personally don't do drugs, but I don't fuck with other people who want to.

So it really depends on your definition of safe. Do I hear gun shots at night, sure, some times. Do I get pan handled at stores and restaurants, oh yeah!. But it you look at the crime map, the least number of crimes happen near here, and the "safe neighborhoods" have worse break-in issues that we do. But, I'm the lone white guy for several blocks around. So, pick your poison.

Ive lived in L.A. and Houston, and I can tell you there are lots of places where you would get killed just for being white. But here, Don't cause trouble, and you wont have trouble. Also don't act and look like a victim, and you wont be a victim.
Jose

Panama City, FL

#47 Feb 24, 2014
WhiteyInSouthTucson wrote:
Well, I have lived in Tucson off and on for 40 years, My father was a prominent law enforcement officer here,(but I'll not mention his name.)
Little history that most people don't know about Tucson; it was the winter playground of the back east Mafia for most of the 40's - 70's. Bugsey Segal owned a very large home in the foothills. Ive been there and it looks a lot like the old Flamingo Hotel in Vegas. Organized crime pretty much controlled the TPD and Sheriffs office. Whore houses were common and quite tolerated in the county until the mid "70's. Tucson was a good place to lay low and justice was an easy payoff away. But it was a clean, quiet town up till the "80's.
I noticed the biggest changes in the late "80's. That is when the stepped up law enforcement on the coasts drove the drug and illegal immigration runners to come through here as it was easier,(and still is). Gangs became an "in" thing and in less than 5 years, neighborhoods that had never seen graffiti were suddenly covered with it. I lived at 29th and Alvernon at the time and it went from place I could let my kids play outside, to having a man stabbed to death against my front door. Wages always sucked and housing was as expensive as Phoenix, but pay was half that could be earned there. I moved away in 92.
I came back in 97 and now live in "gang central" in the city of South Tucson, just off 6th ave. The "SouthSide" gang house is two doors down from where I live now, but I have had no problems because I drive an old car and look like I'm poor. I lived in total shithole apartment that came vacant because the former tenant was murdered there for calling the cops on a troublemaker. I used to listen to the hookers fight outside my window. But, I used to give the working girls coffee in the winter and let people know I wasnt a person who would tolerate being f**ked with. The hookers told everyone I was "cool" and no one messed with me.
I moved to a house four blocks away and just that short distance made a world of difference. In the last five years, the worst that has happened is Ive had a bike stolen off my back porch and my car rifled through once. I made friends with my neighbors, talk nice to the kids, share food from my garden and eggs from my chickens. My neighbors even called me once to let me know someone was in my yard and they chased the person off. And those neighbors would be called drug dealers in most places. I personally don't do drugs, but I don't fuck with other people who want to.
So it really depends on your definition of safe. Do I hear gun shots at night, sure, some times. Do I get pan handled at stores and restaurants, oh yeah!. But it you look at the crime map, the least number of crimes happen near here, and the "safe neighborhoods" have worse break-in issues that we do. But, I'm the lone white guy for several blocks around. So, pick your poison.
Ive lived in L.A. and Houston, and I can tell you there are lots of places where you would get killed just for being white. But here, Don't cause trouble, and you wont have trouble. Also don't act and look like a victim, and you wont be a victim.
That's friggin pathetic. Thanks for that depressing story of your life. Man, now I feel like crap !!!!

Since: Nov 08

Wherever kindness fails

#48 Feb 26, 2014
I think its pretty well established that South Tucson is bad, anything south of 22nd and west of Wilmot is bad, north of Speedway & west of Park is bad, and iffy areas are scattered throughout the whole rest of town. But two major rules apply no matter where you go, even the Foothills: Never move next to a trashy yard, front or back, overgrown and full of junk, even if it's surrounded by a big hedge or wall. The people inside will be trashy too; hostile, threatening, foul-mouthed human garbage. Don't count on the city or county to come to the rescue, they won't. This is important enough that peering over the neighbors' wall or thru their hedges is a must for any house you might be interested in, even a short-term rental.

Also keep in mind that no matter what neighborhood you're in, punk kids looking for trouble are everywhere. They don't have to be formal gang members. Even most of those nice-looking young men & girls hanging around the eastside malls & parks should probably be in jail.
Steve

Tucson, AZ

#49 May 11, 2014
Raised in tucson since I was 7 yrs old across the street from Randolph park. Tucson isn't that bad. Use to considered the best pace in the country to raise a family. No more due to growth. However the places mentioned above like oracle and grant etc while bad are way better than just 2 yrs ago. I live in the nw river and Shannon, but my nephew lives off Columbus and spdway and it is a nice old eighborhood.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Lemmon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Post you feature points referral code (Feb '14) 44 min Unstoppable 6,294
post your feature points referral codes!! 4 hr Rosiex3 32
Plenty of Violent Fun in Tucson for Memorial Da... 20 hr Culture Auditor 1
Interested in making extra money for the summer? May 21 Raven 1
Share FeaturePoints referral code TZFTCC May 11 conner 3
Spread FeaturePoints code TZFTCC Mar '15 Hannah 2
FeaturePoints referal TZFTCC use and download apps Mar '15 Will 1
More from around the web

Mount Lemmon People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE