Life Chain event in Nanuet to protest...

Life Chain event in Nanuet to protest abortion

There are 8 comments on the Journal News story from Sep 27, 2010, titled Life Chain event in Nanuet to protest abortion. In it, Journal News reports that:

NANUET - Abortion opponents will gather along Route 59 and Middletown Road to pray for an end to legalized abortion on Sunday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Journal News.

p-schneider

Huntington Station, NY

#1 Oct 1, 2010
Here comes the American Taliban, dying to strip women of of their human right to health services and control of their bodies. The American Taliban (Anti choice folks) does not care that becoming pregnant is the most dangerous natural thing a woman will ever do. No other natural act or physical function of the body has such a high death rate.
No one has the right to tell a woman what to do with her health or her life. No one.
It is a misogynistic way of thinking that still devalues women to the point that an adult woman's life is less important than a many celled organism growing in her belly.
Until women are genuinely valued by all members of our society we will not be rid of the American Taliban.

“Unborn babies are people too”

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Oct 1, 2010
The dwindling, graying ranks of pro-aborts have never been able to hide their splenetic pique at the shellacking they're taking in the court of public opinion and from pro-life activists, who are outworking and outgiving the pro-abort "menopausal militia" eight ways from Sunday.

"... when the anti-abortion group Walk for Life staged a march in San Francisco last Saturday, January 23 [2010], they turned out an overwhelming and jaw-dropping 40,000 pro-life activists, who were met by a well-advertised counter-protest which managed to draw no more than 80 (that’s eighty, eight-zero) pro-choice advocates. 40,000 vs. 80 is a 500-to-1 pro-life advantage, something that seems inconceivable in the sex-positive liberal stronghold of San Francisco."

"This past January, when [NARAL President Nancy] Keenan's train pulled into Washington's Union Station, a few blocks from the Capitol, she was greeted by a swarm of anti-abortion-rights activists. It was the 37th annual March for Life, organized every year on Jan. 22, the anniversary of Roe. "I just thought, my gosh, they are so young," Keenan recalled. "There are so many of them, and they are so young." March for Life estimates it drew 400,000 activists to the Capitol this year. An anti-Stupak [pro-abortion] rally two months earlier had about 1,300 attendees."
Dianne

AOL

#3 Oct 1, 2010
There are many reasons why a woman might consider abortion; for example, fear, as in an unwed youth, stigma associated with the pregnancy, rape, abuse, no support systems available. As for legalization -- government steps in when individuals or society as a whole cannot resolve their issues. I guess legalization grants the individual who chooses abortion the option of a procedure by a licenced physician, hopefully.
It all boils down to an individual's choice in life. The individual basically now has a CHOICE whether or not to go ahead with an abourtion. CHOICE by the individual to accept or not accept the legalized alternative. There will always be government rules and regulations.
Perhaps these opponent should be handing out information the the nearest antiabortion HELP CENTERS or trying to secure funding for litteracy training on Morality and Social Dilemmas for everyone in society -- real change begins with the practice in Human Morality.
Harvey Pearl

West Milford, NJ

#4 Oct 2, 2010
I am a Conserative Protestant Republican and I think this whole debate on abortion is absurd. Who are we to tell a woman what she can do with her own body.It is fine for the Catholic church to preach this in their churches.For them to push their beliefs on the rest of us is too much.
Word to Catholics keep out of politics and do your preaching in your church.

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Oct 4, 2010
Harvey Pearl wrote:
I am a Conserative Protestant Republican and I think this whole debate on abortion is absurd. Who are we to tell a woman what she can do with her own body.It is fine for the Catholic church to preach this in their churches.For them to push their beliefs on the rest of us is too much.
Word to Catholics keep out of politics and do your preaching in your church.
Earth to Harvey: Pro-life atheists also passionately defend the right to life.

http://jewishworldreview.com/cols/hentoff1217... -- "Henry Hyde: Pro-life all the way"

"...My liberal friends couldn't understand — despite that debate in the House — how I could become a pro-lifer, and I kept reminding them that they prided themselves on working to assure justice for the underrepresented in this country, those mired in poverty or without competent legal help or otherwise without essential resources. Hyde, in his ultimately successful striving to end the grotesque child abuse of partial-birth abortion, made the same point:

"The people (other activists who) pretend to defend the powerless, those who cannot escape, who cannot rise up in the streets, these (are also human beings halfway outside the womb who) ought to be protected by the law. The law exists to protect the weak from the strong."

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#6 Oct 4, 2010
Lux et Veritas wrote:
<quoted text>
Earth to Harvey: Pro-life atheists also passionately defend the right to life.
http://jewishworldreview.com/cols/hentoff1217... -- "Henry Hyde: Pro-life all the way"
"...My liberal friends couldn't understand — despite that debate in the House — how I could become a pro-lifer, and I kept reminding them that they prided themselves on working to assure justice for the underrepresented in this country, those mired in poverty or without competent legal help or otherwise without essential resources. Hyde, in his ultimately successful striving to end the grotesque child abuse of partial-birth abortion, made the same point:
"The people (other activists who) pretend to defend the powerless, those who cannot escape, who cannot rise up in the streets, these (are also human beings halfway outside the womb who) ought to be protected by the law. The law exists to protect the weak from the strong."
Yes, this is one thing I don't get about the anti lifers. They think you have to be religious to be a pro lifer. Are they really this dumb? I mean seriously dumb.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#7 Oct 4, 2010
p-schneider wrote:
Here comes the American Taliban, dying to strip women of of their human right to health services and control of their bodies. The American Taliban (Anti choice folks) does not care that becoming pregnant is the most dangerous natural thing a woman will ever do. No other natural act or physical function of the body has such a high death rate.
No one has the right to tell a woman what to do with her health or her life. No one.
It is a misogynistic way of thinking that still devalues women to the point that an adult woman's life is less important than a many celled organism growing in her belly.
Until women are genuinely valued by all members of our society we will not be rid of the American Taliban.
You are an ass. American taliban? Are you kidding me? You need to be locked up somewhere in a whack job hospital. A many celled organism? Guess that makes it easier for you to kill another human, to think of it that way you idiot.

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Oct 4, 2010
And this from the atheist long-time Village Voice columnist:

"... Nearly ten years ago I declared myself a pro-lifer [ http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/users/rauch/n... ]. A Jewish, atheist, civil libertarian, left-wing pro-lifer. Immediately, three women editors at The Village Voice, my New York base, stopped speaking to me. Not long after, I was invited to speak on this startling heresy at Nazareth College in Rochester (long since a secular institution). Two weeks before the lecture, it was canceled. The women on the lecture committee, I was told by the embarrassed professor who had asked me to come, had decided that there was a limit to the kind of speech the students could safely hear, and I was outside that limit. I was told, however, that I could come the next year to give a different talk.

[...]

"Yet being without theology isn't the slightest hindrance to being pro-life. As any obstetrics manual--Williams Obstetrics, for example--points out, there are two patients involved, and the one not yet born "should be given the same meticulous care by the physician that we long have given the pregnant woman." Nor, biologically, does it make any sense to draw life-or-death lines at viability. Once implantation takes place, this being has all the genetic information within that makes each human being unique. And he or she embodies continually developing human life from that point on. It missses a crucial point to say that the extermination can take place because the brain has not yet functioned or because that thing is not yet a "person." Whether the life is cut off in the fourth week or the fourteenth, the victim is one of our species, and has been from the start."

http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/users/rauch/n... -- "Pro-choice bigots: a view from the pro-life left"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Kisco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Searching for Tom McCullough Jun 26 F Dapena 1
Yorktown Heights Music Selection (Aug '12) Jun 25 Musikologist 15
News Train Station Ads Claim Israel Does 'Apartheid' (Mar '13) May '16 TRUMP EXPose 8
to whom it may concern (Dec '11) Mar '16 lolinnewrochelle 53
News Hillary Clinton vaccine-damaged? Severe brain d... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Ritual Habitual 1
News Acme Markets Bids For Eastchester A&P (Jul '15) Oct '15 ChristineN 2
Rob Thomas (Sep '15) Sep '15 RT 1

Mount Kisco Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mount Kisco Mortgages