Mt. Joy might dump fire tax

Full story: Evening Sun 12
Mount Joy Township Supervisor Chairman John Gormont last week supported a proposal to cut the township's funding for local fire departments by 60 percent. Full Story
mustg94

Allentown, PA

#1 Oct 11, 2010
good job
sws

East Berlin, PA

#2 Oct 11, 2010
its amazing, the volunteers have saved local muncipalities millions of dollars over the years, now when the volunteers need financial help the most, the muncipalities what to bail on them, way to go! that's really thinking well of your citizenry's safety !
Wow

Duncannon, PA

#3 Oct 11, 2010
Read the article~ they aren't Bailing out on the Fire Department, they are asking for Fair Equitable Practices among ALL the townships. It's amazing that YOU wouldn't want it any other way!
By the way, did the Fire Company come and ask the Townships if they were willing to finance a brand new Fire Engine that one of them just bought? Suppose they all do that? When I purchase something, I have to ask the bank for money first. They just don't let me buy a car and hand over the money after the fact.
Also, the Fire Department threatened to cease covering MJT IF it doesn't contribute the same amount.
I have been sending money every year to three local Fire Annual Funds in addition to what I now learn I'm being TAXED for. If I learn that any of the Fire Departments refuse put out anyone's fire, I will not only stop giving to those campaigns and I imagine Many, Many others will too!
screwed

Fayetteville, PA

#4 Oct 11, 2010
did they threaten to quit serviving Straban which contribute $500 to bonneauville ,or littlestown boro wich contibutes$2000 to littlestown?
john

Newville, PA

#5 Oct 11, 2010
The fire departments have enough toys. Part of the high taxes that I pay go's to the fire departments.
taxpayer

Shippensburg, PA

#6 Oct 11, 2010
People need to get involved, first go to municipal meetings and second go to your local fire company meetings. If possible attend a fund raiser and see how much time and work go into raising funds to pay for vehicles and other equipment, not to mention water/sewer, electric, heat, phone and other normal bills.
The relief funds come from the state insurance commission and goes to the fire company relief association and can only be used for certain equipment not for normal bills such as fuel for vehicles and utilities.
The money from the local gov't is used for the utilities and other expenses which keep going up for the volunteers also.
Fire Marshal Bill

Lancaster, PA

#7 Oct 11, 2010
probably the fairest way to distribute the money would be for each municipality to divide the money according to the quantity of calls the department responds to in that municipality each year. So if a department runs 50% of the alarms in the municipality they would get 50% of the money.

But more importantly as said by taxpayer, this money that comes from the municipalities is a very small amount of the annual budget as a rule. Most of the money to keep the FD operating comes from fundraisers.

So pay your taxes, buy those raffle tickets and attend those dinners and carnivals. And remember those people working at those events are the fire fighters who will respond to the incident when you need help, giving more of their time to raise money to pay the bills to keep the apparatus on the street.
Okay

Chambersburg, PA

#8 Oct 11, 2010
Interesting that there was an open house at Mt.Joy this summer and the fire companies sent their equipment over to display including a ladder truck that would be used if there was a fire in the Links 3 story condos. I thought safety and roads were the major obligations of townships?
MJT Resident

Duncannon, PA

#10 Oct 12, 2010
Okay(not sure what your point is) - I was at one of the Supervisor's meeting when that open house was announced. Three things were announced: 1) Show the township building to the residents so they see can the office, garage and township equipment 2) make this a place where residents could promote their businesses 3) Invite the Fire Departments to supply the Food Concession for their Fund Raising Campaign and show their equipment. All these seemed equally intended to help the township. All of the Fire Companies sent various equipment to show the residents and the children loved climbing on the various Fire Trucks. It was unfortunatly bad timing as there were so many other events scheduled on that same day but almost everyone who attended purchased something from the Fire company that provided the food concession. It seems all the Supervisors are trying to do is get the rest of the AdamsTownships to pay with Equity. It certainly appears that isn't being done. I am happy that the Finance Committee is looking at every outlay of MY money. I wish the US Govmnt would do the same.
LMFAO

Gardners, PA

#11 Oct 12, 2010
Fire Marshal Bill wrote:
probably the fairest way to distribute the money would be for each municipality to divide the money according to the quantity of calls the department responds to in that municipality each year. So if a department runs 50% of the alarms in the municipality they would get 50% of the money.
But more importantly as said by taxpayer, this money that comes from the municipalities is a very small amount of the annual budget as a rule. Most of the money to keep the FD operating comes from fundraisers.
So pay your taxes, buy those raffle tickets and attend those dinners and carnivals. And remember those people working at those events are the fire fighters who will respond to the incident when you need help, giving more of their time to raise money to pay the bills to keep the apparatus on the street.
What a peterhead,,, I bet you sleep with your firefighters helmet & boots on!!! LOSER!!
Tater

Gardners, PA

#12 Oct 12, 2010
Its only fair!! Thanks Mt. Joy Supervisors, you are starting to gain my trust!! At least you are not wasting our Tax money like Waybright,Dayhoff, Scott & Chantelo or what ever his gay sounding name was??
Fire Marshal Bill

Lancaster, PA

#13 Oct 13, 2010
LMFAO wrote:
<quoted text>What a peterhead,,, I bet you sleep with your firefighters helmet & boots on!!! LOSER!!
So I assume that you are one who does not contribute to the local volunteer fire department? I'll bet you are also one of the first to complain when they dive past your house at 3 AM with the sirens on, or will complain that it took them too long to respond to your emergency.

If you are served by a volunteer fire department you are getting for more for your money that you realize. As I said before the cost of equipment and apparatus is seldom covered by the contributions the municipalities make to them, so they need those fund raisers. And in addition to that the many hours of training required to respond as well as the fundraisers, and station work, these young men and woman should be thanked and respected.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Joy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"... about my mother, I'm trying to get the fac... Jan 26 DON MEEHAN 3
Do Derry Township Police Officers have a bad re... (Jan '08) Jan 19 DON MEEHAN 49
Pastor John Collins Marietta PA (Feb '14) Jan 19 Witch of Columbia 13
"...about my mother, I'm trying to get the fact... Jan 18 DON MEEHAN 1
GOP lawmakers gather amid division Jan 16 radiofreeamerica 7
The Hershey Company Address (Jan '06) Jan 9 Rachel Adams 391
Sandra Reid breaks silence, discusses warrants,... Dec '14 lady 3

Winter Storm Watch for Lancaster County was issued at January 30 at 10:13PM EST

Mount Joy Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Mount Joy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance