Yorkers raise doubts about Corbett's liquor store plan

There are 17 comments on the York Dispatch story from Dec 31, 2010, titled Yorkers raise doubts about Corbett's liquor store plan. In it, York Dispatch reports that:

Chet Runkle was standing outside a Wine & Spirits store in Manchester Township, pondering governor-elect Tom Corbett's idea of privatizing the state-run liquor stores.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at York Dispatch.

Geo32

Lancaster, PA

#1 Dec 31, 2010
Competition is always better for an industry. The
State workers should be able to keep their jobs
as the stores transition to private ownership. This
is a win/win situation for the State and the consumer.
It should have been done 2 years ago.
Thomas

Brea, CA

#2 Dec 31, 2010
If the state stores are sold, what do we do next time? If the state keeps them they know there is money coming in year after year. If they are sold how long do you think that money will last? With all the crooked people we have running the government, it wouldn't be long!!!
any

Myerstown, PA

#3 Jan 1, 2011
Did we ever have a state liquor store robbery?
sammit

York, PA

#4 Jan 1, 2011
any wrote:
Did we ever have a state liquor store robbery?
Yes, in Phila. a few months ago. By Employees.
sammit

York, PA

#5 Jan 1, 2011
PROHIBITION is alive and well and living in Pa.

IMHO
Frustrated

York, PA

#6 Jan 1, 2011
We should be paying state employees to sell alcohol. This is a private business, the state should have no part of this.
Just Me

York, PA

#7 Jan 1, 2011
I can't help but think that privatizing would make it more efficient but then we need to be sure to be able to replace the revenue lost from the sales. Now is not a time to diminish state revenues.
Mickey Mouse

Wrightsville, PA

#8 Jan 1, 2011
State stores should be be,eliminated. It should be free enterprise.

“It's 420 here.”

Since: Jun 07

cold comfort farm

#9 Jan 1, 2011
When I want fine wines I go to Wells in Towson or to Annapolis. Or I'll go to Astor in NYC.
While the idea of privatization of the state stores is a noble idea, the timing stinks. To operate a really good liquor store is going to require a tremendous amount of capital, and given the anemic state of the economy, I cannot foresee many people with deep enough pockets being able to do it. Nor can I imagine that many people in the private sectore who are that saavy regarding fine wines and spirits. Throw in security, liability insurance and unannounced visits by the revenuers and you have a real headache. I don't think the PCLB bears much cost legally if a juvie buys booze, but if a private store does, the floodgates open.
Been to the Mountaintop

York, PA

#10 Jan 2, 2011
Having lived in states where wine and spirits were sold in private stores, and where beer was sold in supermarkets and gas stations, I can tell you that the notion of having union-represented, civil service state employees selling wine and liquor is an expensive anachronism.

Tax revenues would not decrease with private sales because the state would still levy a per bottle tax, just like they do now. However, the citizens of PA would no longer be liable for the pensions of the liquor store employees, or for their health insurance coverage.

Get PA out of the retail liquor business. Let grocery stores sell beer. Let the invisible hand of the marketplace rule.
walt

York, PA

#11 Jan 2, 2011
yep its wy past time !! sell Let free enterpize start. keep mafia out and don't screw it up like the mafia (Randell"s Buddies) casinos.
Tom

Etters, PA

#12 Jan 2, 2011
I travel to Western Md and WV quite often. I buy my spirits there. The prices are way cheaper than PA and the place I get it at is a mom/pop general store.Their prices are at least 25% cheaper. This state is weird when it comes to purchasing spirits.
ExperiencedTheGl ory

Dover, PA

#13 Jan 2, 2011
If you go to any other state where alcohol sales are privatized you'll realize that they're much more aggressive in terms of enforcing the law. They send undercover agents to stores like Wal-mart and the drugstores and convenience stores to make sure they're carding. If not the store gets a fine. Police are out on the streets looking for DUIs. Even people who are minding their own business and walking home from the bar across the street can be slammed with a fine. I sometimes wonder how much revenue they must receive from fines alone.

If other states like Ohio and Louisiana can do it there is no reason that PA isn't able to survive by doing the same. There are other ways of increasing revenue in terms of alcohol sales. It's really about convenience to the consumer. It's easier to pick up a six pack of beer at the nearest Walmart or CVS or convenience store than it is to go out of your way to get it.
Tom

Etters, PA

#14 Jan 2, 2011
ExperiencedTheGlory wrote:
If you go to any other state where alcohol sales are privatized you'll realize that they're much more aggressive in terms of enforcing the law. They send undercover agents to stores like Wal-mart and the drugstores and convenience stores to make sure they're carding. If not the store gets a fine. Police are out on the streets looking for DUIs. Even people who are minding their own business and walking home from the bar across the street can be slammed with a fine. I sometimes wonder how much revenue they must receive from fines alone.
If other states like Ohio and Louisiana can do it there is no reason that PA isn't able to survive by doing the same. There are other ways of increasing revenue in terms of alcohol sales. It's really about convenience to the consumer. It's easier to pick up a six pack of beer at the nearest Walmart or CVS or convenience store than it is to go out of your way to get it.
Never had that problem in WV or western Md. I've spent many hunting trips there and know many of the locals. They sell alcohol everywhere. Never had a problem. Of course, were not out drinking in public or gettin behind the wheel. Never heard any locals ever complain about being harassed.
why

Lebanon, PA

#15 Mar 25, 2011
Mickey Mouse wrote:
State stores should be be,eliminated. It should be free enterprise.
Why give all these profits to private ownership ? Government needs money to function and I don't want my taxes going up.

Let the free market come up with their own ideas for making money and stop relying on government for handouts.
why

Lebanon, PA

#16 Mar 25, 2011
Been to the Mountaintop wrote:
Having lived in states where wine and spirits were sold in private stores, and where beer was sold in supermarkets and gas stations, I can tell you that the notion of having union-represented, civil service state employees selling wine and liquor is an expensive anachronism.
Tax revenues would not decrease with private sales because the state would still levy a per bottle tax, just like they do now. However, the citizens of PA would no longer be liable for the pensions of the liquor store employees, or for their health insurance coverage.
Get PA out of the retail liquor business. Let grocery stores sell beer. Let the invisible hand of the marketplace rule.
No way, its far to easy for kids to get alcohol selling in stores.
Tom

Etters, PA

#19 Mar 26, 2011
why wrote:
<quoted text>
Why give all these profits to private ownership ? Government needs money to function and I don't want my taxes going up.
Let the free market come up with their own ideas for making money and stop relying on government for handouts.
Because private ownership actually provides jobs and run a more efficient operation than any Government ever could. Also, the government still taxes the product. The difference is that they won't have the chance to spend that money operating the facility that they use to sell the product to begin with. Don't worry, they will still collect money. They'll find another worthless program to piss it away on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Joy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Poisoning Case: Officials received 700 letters ... (Jan '07) Apr 28 Karmallday 74
Moving to Elizabethtown Apr 27 Lori 1
News Timothy Mercer Retires with 27 Years of Service... Apr 23 Suz 13
shooting at mussers Apr 10 lady 3
News Pastor John Collins Marietta PA (Feb '14) Apr 4 lady 14
News Gaming Oversight Committee to discuss competiti... Mar '15 jones 2
Any guys into Younger female? 19Female Mar '15 cop blocker 2
More from around the web

Mount Joy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]