Posted in the Mount Hope Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mark

Beckley, WV

#1 Aug 14, 2011
Hello all,

i would like some input from all of you as to what would help our town come back ? What do you think we need ? A grocery store, a bus, a farmers market ? I am willing to write the grants but i would like the input of all the citzens ? Now i know we need jobs and thats not what i am after here, I see our city in a death sprial the kids are cutting school which we all know where thast leads ? maybe we need a truent officer ? FYI sorry about the spelling i am a slave to spell check.
Mustang for life

Oak Hill, WV

#2 Aug 14, 2011
I lost all faith in the town coming back when they decided to shut Mount Hope High School down. That was the straw that broke the camel's back in my opinion. On top of that, we have a flood buyout ongoing and no one is buying houses here in town. Sad situation for our town that's for sure! There is nothing here to keep people in town.
Mark

Beckley, WV

#3 Aug 15, 2011
All good points but I am more concerned with what we can do to help the people that are here. The town isnt just going to go away History tells us the school closing maybe a good thing.
Mt Hope Resident

Madison, WV

#4 Aug 15, 2011
Mt Hope needs to look good as you drive through the WHOLE town -- not just the big houses. Hopefully the 'tear down' money will address the burned out buildings, falling down buildings and trash- and "slum lords" will become accountable. This is not a wealthy town, but PRIDE is the keyword. I like Mt. Hope but it needs a real grocery store where you can get good meat and more than a few things. I believe it would do very well if it kept prices reasonable like Aldi or Sav-a-Lot. In Fact, ALDI needs to be contacted-- they might be interested with the Boy Scouts and tourists coming in too.

Mount Hope also needs a fast food restaurant, another sit down family restaurant that ISN'T Italian, AND a place that wll serve a hot breakfast. Think ahead-- the people will go to Beckley or Oak Hill- why should they flourish when we are the closest town for workers and visitors to the Boy Scout Campground.

Fix the Main Street-- potholes need to go and those RR tracks need to be leveled and not an obstacle course.

Creativity is the key-- offer people a REASON to come into Mount Hope-- how about a GOOD motel/hotel on the edge of town?

I missed the meeting Thursday evening due to family illness out of town. When is another one?
What transpired there? One policeman with car should be in the town at all times not just on Rte 19. It can be a rookie- but his presence IN TOWN and ready for town issues would ward off shenanigans. Grant money might be used wisely there.
People who care don't get on Topix and talk trash.
Topix needs a revamp for sure and names of those posting should be able to be stated without the person fearing the recourse.

Why not have the water bill give a number to call where people can give their ideas to your post- with name or anonymous if they choose. Have the number record the ideas-- it doesnt have to be a live person answering and you can replay those ideas you like. Water bills and tax bills go out to almost everyone who might care about this town and cover those who don't like to go to meetings or can't attend.
Hope my rambling was helpful.
kope

Oak Hill, WV

#5 Aug 15, 2011
keep the cops in town where they belong..georgia pacific is never coming back so stay off 19
JustListen

Mount Hope, WV

#6 Aug 16, 2011
Very good points @ MH resident.
Chris

Beckley, WV

#7 Aug 16, 2011
I was at the meeting thursday and if you want to get in contact feel free to email me tropicalsrf@gmail.com the turn out was terible and i know adam and the rest of us would love to have more people
1 post removed
Matt

Silver Spring, MD

#9 Aug 16, 2011
Im 20 and have lived in Mount Hope since I was 12. I've lived in big cities and small backwoods towns, with my job I travel all over, so I have a wordly opinion even though im young.

I've been saying for years Mount Hope needs a Diner open late the town does not go to sleep at 9pm many are up later and many work late and are too tired to cook and would enjoy something other than a pile of grease from Ginos because its the only place in Mount hope that serves food after 9pm. Not too mention there isnt a real diner within 30 miles of Mount Hope, Ihop and omellette shoppes don't count they are generic franchises. So it'd attract people in surrounding areas so long as the food is good.

A Taxi service is another possibility there are plenty of elderly and people with out transportation if we got a bus service that ran from Beckley to Oak hill the town would get more people and more local folks could get jobs if they don't have a car, a taxi service could help Mount Hopians get around and could serve the oak hill area and Mount hope can gain taxes and create jobs. i worked at Family Dollar in Oak hill and there were elderly that would sit outside for hours waiting on Oak hills taxi service. Oak hills taxi service does not cut it and money could be made in the transportation area and create jobs.

I also think they should bulldoze the burnt down middle school and create a large parking lot for people who live in the city the roads are too small to have all the cars parked on the street and it tears up the sidewalks.

Something for young people to do, get em off the streets and give em somewhere to go and play and enjoy themselves there are smaller towns way worse off than us that have nicer parks and game rooms and things for kids to go do. I myself ran up and down the streets skateboarding and looking like a hoodlum but there's nothing in the town for young people not even a library I men c'mon it's like Mount Hope wants the kids in the town to be illiterate and ignorant. The Library we do have is the size of a bedroom and is hardly open and closes before kids even get out of school. What if a kid needs a book for school or a report? Mount Hope doesn't care, The city never even cleaned the road to the school.

A hotel would be another idea.

You have to think big in order to get big.
1 post removed
John R

Oak Hill, WV

#11 Sep 12, 2011
Wow Bill I hope you never move to our great city the last thing we need is someone like you LOL
Robinette

Charleston, WV

#12 Sep 12, 2011
I seriously doubt that is Bill writing that. Sounds like someone is pretending to be him.
1 post removed
Mrs B

United States

#14 Oct 25, 2011
Mark, very interested in what u said and there are opertunities please contact me @ missbt@live.com, thank u
Truth

Dayton, OH

#15 Oct 25, 2011
The main thing that needs to be done to improve the city is to improve police patrol in the city. The police need to approach all of the people that sit on the street corners all day and have them go elsewhere. After that all of the falling down/abandoned buildings need to be taken down. The middle school and the mountaineer hotel are the most horrible looking buildings in town.
A Person

Huntington, WV

#16 Oct 25, 2011
They need to open MHHS back up.
Truth

Dayton, OH

#17 Oct 26, 2011
I have to disagree with you on that. I don't think opening the high school back up with help anything. The kids are in a better school receiving a better education now.
1 post removed
Mustang

Mount Hope, WV

#19 Oct 26, 2011
I have lived here my whole life. Other towns grow we go less and less. I love this town by it to far gone. oak hill and beckley have jumped to accommodate the scouts we have done nothing. They work to bring business we wait till someone comes to us begs, finances, works their butt off then has to turn the credit over to the mayor.
Mrs B

Granite City, IL

#20 Oct 27, 2011
I grew up up in mt hope andmoved away, its been 24yrs....i cannot beleive its like that now, honest working ppl of the comm....start filing complaints with the state, when u call 911ask for county mt hope cops have let it go to hell, all it is now is a drug haven and we need to take the town back from the younger generation for they have reduced it to nothing, it can b done u worked for ur homes while they live off assistance checks...u deserve to be there, stand together and let everyone know that mt hope needs change, and that it can b changed
Dallas

United States

#21 Nov 7, 2011
Mt. Hope needs to bring Stan Ellison back to run the police dept. He really cleaned up the town when he was the police chief and being a hometown boy everyone worked with and got along with him. This needs brought up at the upcoming improvement meetings.
skeeter

Dunbar, WV

#22 Mar 21, 2013
last one out turn the lights off.....
Stupid

Alexandria, VA

#23 Mar 23, 2013
Truth wrote:
The main thing that needs to be done to improve the city is to improve police patrol in the city. The police need to approach all of the people that sit on the street corners all day and have them go elsewhere. After that all of the falling down/abandoned buildings need to be taken down. The middle school and the mountaineer hotel are the most horrible looking buildings in town.
that has to be one of the dumbest things I have heard lately!! Iam pretty sure it is not illegal yet to sit on the corner!! This is still the USA isn't it? The police can only do so much!! Everyone hollers police harassment when they do there job and then yell when they don't!! They can't win!! Get off your butt and make a change yourself!! That's the problem everyone wants the government to take care of them while they sit on the couch watching tv and eating Bon bons!!! Get up and help the town and see if they can use your help!!! Idiots!!!!!
Crowded Shorts

Alexandria, VA

#24 Mar 24, 2013
Stupid, I like you!! Glad to see there is someone around with functioning brain!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Hope Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
AEP-RAPES Customers AGAIN 27 min Redi Kilowatt 15
To the WIGGER Female at Kroger Harper Rd 1 hr Anderson 14
Beckley hooters still sucks (May '13) 7 hr ridiculous 87
Drop A Word, Add A Word (Dec '10) 7 hr White_Lightning 5,850
Best place to eat in beckley 8 hr Bucky 14
Pugh Dead - Rizzi Charged. 9 hr serb1984 27
Dr shamblin drug screening in office now? 10 hr kornbread 14
More from around the web

Mount Hope People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE