Scammer takes mother for nearly $3,000

Scammer takes mother for nearly $3,000

There are 35 comments on the Public Opinion story from May 6, 2009, titled Scammer takes mother for nearly $3,000. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

A McConnellsburg woman was scammed $2,850 by a person claiming to be a bail bondsman in Canada.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
George

Sterling, VA

#1 May 6, 2009
THINK before acting, people! There are people who want your money, and if you are clueless that they exist and give them your money, then it's hard for me to feel sorry for you.
Fulton Co professional

Chambersburg, PA

#2 May 6, 2009
My mother received a scam letter last week. Take warning to this one! They send you info and a check for $3200. 00 and give you 2 assignments to be a mystery shopper and critique 2 places of business. I read the fine print on the back of the letter and it said this is an attempt to defraud. The check even looked real and had a water mark. Upon investigation I found the bank listed on the check does not even exist. They direct you to deposit the check into your account and then send an assignment fee via western union for each assignment you complete. What a coincidence the letter was post marked Canada with no return address. If you receive letters like this please report it to the Pa. Post Master Generals office in Harrisburg.
MrYuck

Boiling Springs, PA

#3 May 6, 2009
She lost a lotta chedda that a free phone call could have prevented.
Baseball lover

Southampton, PA

#4 May 6, 2009
George wrote:
THINK before acting, people! There are people who want your money, and if you are clueless that they exist and give them your money, then it's hard for me to feel sorry for you.
Don't judge until you are in that persons shoes. 8 years ago or so, I received a phone call that my husband was being detained and I was to send money. 8 years ago, I didn't have a cell phone or a way to get a hold of him. Thank goodness I was able to find him & I never sent money, but I was scared to death.
George

Sterling, VA

#5 May 6, 2009
I'm not necessarily judging, because these scammers prey on emotions. People need to be logical and not act until they know what's going on. If a loved one is in jail, it won't hurt them to cool their heels in the slammer overnight while you figure out whether it's true or not. Jails aren't pleasant places to be, but there are much worse places they could be - at least they are warm, dry, and fed.

If it helps any, I've been in those shoes - we once refused a collect call and then realized that it was my son calling from the local jail. When we called the jail, they wouldn't tell me if they had him because he was over 18.
desert flower

Wilmington, DE

#6 May 6, 2009
As a former Western Union Agent, I can tell you there are ALOT of scam artist out there.
Always be careful when sending money to strangers.
If you sell something over the internet,and they pay you TOO MUCH, it is a SCAM.They give you a "CHECK" that looks real,and ask you to send back the difference Western Union.You are out alot of $$ by then,you are stuck with a bad check,and out the cash you send Western Union.I saw alot of scams of this type.
surely

Wilmington, DE

#7 May 6, 2009
That's why I don't answer the phone if I don't know the number. If it's legit, they'll leave a message. If it's not, they usually don't like to leave a trail.
MrRight

Chambersburg, PA

#8 May 6, 2009
OK I'm gonna say something that alot of people will agree on and alot of people won't.

I say that punishment in the U.S. is too easy. If we would do like the Animalistic nations and cut the hand of of convicted thieves and scammers then it would keep alot of these dirt bags from doing it.

If we publically executed murderers and rapists, no matter what the case being, first time offenders or carreer criminals, I bet it would stop alot of would be's from doing it.

Remember when they had the guilotine and the firing squad? What about hangings? Or my personal fav. the rack? I bet if you brought em' back crime would slow down quite a bit.

Just my $0.02......

“Illegitimi non carborundum”

Since: Apr 08

Hagerstown, MD

#9 May 6, 2009
What has happened to peoples' common sense?
PANIC

Boiling Springs, PA

#10 May 6, 2009
the swine flu hysteria is clouding their judgement.
me too

Wilmington, DE

#11 May 6, 2009
Wouldn't you try calling or finding your son before you would send money??? I have gotten letters and if I wasn't on vacation lately why would they say I won something or another excuse!
Amy

United States

#12 May 6, 2009
me too wrote:
Wouldn't you try calling or finding your son before you would send money??? I have gotten letters and if I wasn't on vacation lately why would they say I won something or another excuse!
I agree with you on this. I find it hard to fall for ANY kind of scam (probably because I immediately hang up on them). There are so many of them & the stories we hear about people being scammed sometimes make me think, "How could anyone fall for that?" Maybe I'm missing something.
Ms Right

Chambersburg, PA

#13 May 6, 2009
MrRight wrote:
OK I'm gonna say something that alot of people will agree on and alot of people won't.
I say that punishment in the U.S. is too easy. If we would do like the Animalistic nations and cut the hand of of convicted thieves and scammers then it would keep alot of these dirt bags from doing it.
If we publically executed murderers and rapists, no matter what the case being, first time offenders or carreer criminals, I bet it would stop alot of would be's from doing it.
Remember when they had the guilotine and the firing squad? What about hangings? Or my personal fav. the rack? I bet if you brought em' back crime would slow down quite a bit.
Just my $0.02......
I completely agree with your $0.02!
hah

Philadelphia, PA

#14 May 6, 2009
MrRight wrote:
Just my $0.02......
YA well i agree with your agree.YOU are 1million times right.BUT the earthy crunchy PEOPLE of THIS country would never go for it cause PEOPLE HAVE RIGHTS,blah blah blah we should DO EVERY THING you said and YES I would BET CRIME WOULD DROP a TON were to easy on people in this country hangem shotem give them all the chair.I DON'T like working 60 hours a week to pay for BUBBAS 3 meals a day and a place to sleep in fact it realy piss me off. wut ever theres my 2 cents put that in your pipe and smoke it
Fulton Co professional

Chambersburg, PA

#15 May 6, 2009
MrRight wrote:
Just my $0.02......
I agree whole hearted, Eye for an Eye and Tooth for a Tooth. You look at the countries that do public executions and punishments; you'll see that their violent crime rate is lower then the good ole USA.
Curious

Chambersburg, PA

#16 May 6, 2009
I also believe there would be a lot less Car Crashes if there were a more severe penalty for driving offenses.
pimpledik

Carlisle, PA

#17 May 6, 2009
Anybody scammed deserves it. U snooze U lose.
my opinion

United States

#18 May 6, 2009
Curious wrote:
I also believe there would be a lot less Car Crashes if there were a more severe penalty for driving offenses.
ESPECIALLY driving while phoning/texting!
Curious

Chambersburg, PA

#19 May 7, 2009
Greetings to you,

I am aware that the Internet has become very unsafe, but considering the situation I have no option than to seek for foreign partnership through this medium.

For security reasons I will not disclose my Identity until I am fully convinced you are the right person for this business deal. I have access to very vital information that can be used to move a huge amount of money to a secured account outside United Kingdom

We can meet in any of these locations Dubai, Spain, UK, Canada. rr South Africa. Full details /modalities will be disclosed on your expression of Interest to partner with me.
I am open for negotiation Importantly the funds to be transferred have nothing to do with drugs, terrorism or Money laundering.

If you consider yourself so kind to help me complete this unfinished assignment, then kindly send your return mail to my private box [email protected]

Thanks for your anticipated corporation.

Jan. K

This was in my email this morning, I have no clue where it came from.
livin in pa

Indianapolis, IN

#20 May 7, 2009
my 20 year old son was on his cell phone last night claim he won a 1000. dollar gift card all he had to do is subcribe to a magizine and he was givin them his credit card number and i was flippin when i walked in on the conversation. I told him when they call your cell phone and told you that you won a 1000. gift card its not true don't ever give anyone over the phone you credit card number that it's a scam and they are full of shit so after i kept running my mouth to my son the man on the phone kept sayin sounds like that lady is pretty upset so finnaly my son did get off the phone with him and no transaction was takin

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Holly Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News PA Lottery Powerball Ticket Worth $100,000 Sold... Dec 30 Saddam 6
wow actavis discontinued but you can still get ... (Jan '16) Dec 29 Generation Wuss 4
Remains Dec '16 Sammy 4
Locators, Inc. Is it a scam? (Feb '11) Dec '16 Philly Landlord 91
News PA Turnpike considers going cashless (Jul '12) Nov '16 Craig 3
Mary jane. (Jul '16) Sep '16 adam15 5
News York Springs hires new tax collector aftera Aug '16 honest3tax2collec... 1

Mount Holly Springs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mount Holly Springs Mortgages