Conrail freight train in the night ma...

Conrail freight train in the night makes noise

Posted in the Mount Holly Forum

Tom

Moorestown, NJ

#1 Jan 7, 2012
Conrail freight train in the middle of the night blow a whistle too much in Burlington wakes people in the night. It was a lot of complains to the city and other oficials nobody dont know how to solve this problem.This is basic solution- install railway dams on some intersections and create,, quiet zones,,.What do you think ?.
Dale

Somerdale, NJ

#2 Jan 8, 2012
When you move to an area that has trains nearby, you have NO grounds to complain about the noise.The trains are noisy,but nessecary to deliver products and have been there longer than people,who could have chosen ANYWHERE to live. Railway Dams will not work because they only buffer the noise where they are used,and you cant install noise barriers the entire length of railway.
Tom

Trenton, NJ

#3 Feb 6, 2012
Hey Dale,

I've lived in the same place in Burlington for 38 years and they didn't start obnoxiously blowing the whistle at 3am every night until a couple months ago. Blowing the whistle in 20 second spurts over and over is ridiculous. I'm almost a mile away but with a whistle that loud it wakes people up anyway.

Before you make a comment, make sure you know what you are talking about.
Dale

Mount Laurel, NJ

#4 Feb 6, 2012
First,you ask people what they think about your idea, than when you get a response, you tell them they dont know what they are talking about. Get a life! Either move or get over it! There aint no solution cause the train is doing what it's suppose to!
Neighbor

Mullica Hill, NJ

#6 Feb 8, 2012
As Iam sure you`ve noticed ,there is a train SCREAMING through our neighborhood(BURLINGTON) in the middle of the night 1 am ,3am ,sometimes 4am .And I`m sure that you,like us,have had about all you can take!!!Won`t you please join us in contacting our state senators and Representatives so that we can rally behind an effort to reclaim the peace and quiet of the sleep time in our town .TOGETHER ,LET`S TAKE BACK THE PEACE.
NoBlinders

Haddonfield, NJ

#7 Feb 14, 2012
They been blowing that train whistle for the last 40 years since I've been around, now all of a sudden its a problem? To say they just started doing that is a flat out lie!!!!!! Move closer to the airport, those planes never fly!!!smh
angry

Burlington, NJ

#8 Feb 15, 2012
That Conrail train does not have to be that loud!!! There's working people that need sleep. The traffic at that time is not bad and every intersection has a signal light. It's crazy.!!!!!!!
bumper 2014

Monticello, IN

#9 Feb 21, 2014
angry wrote:
That Conrail train does not have to be that loud!!! There's working people that need sleep. The traffic at that time is not bad and every intersection has a signal light. It's crazy.!!!!!!!
I completely agree! I have the riverline literally feet from my house. When they blow the whistle its isnt half as loud as the Conrail one. I wouldnt even mind it so much if they didnt blow it literally every 2 minutes and in short very loud bursts all night long. Its constant at night and like someone outside your bedroom blowing a hand held airhorn every few minutes while you attempt sleep. Last night the trains must not have been running or the horn blower had the night off, and I actually had a few hours uninterrupted sleep! I could understand the argument that the trains have been here longer then me, however typewriters have been around longer then me, as well, and with technology comes the time when some updates are needed. This horn reaches a far far distance. You cant escape it in this area.
bumper 2014

Monticello, IN

#10 Feb 21, 2014
As a side, I live in Bordentown, so we are getting it up here, too. Its not a matter if "just dont move there" the trains are not even near us. You wouldnt even know about the noise unless it was late night. Im fine with the riverline, but their horns are cake next to the Conrail ones.
Tom

Trenton, NJ

#11 Mar 6, 2014
A lot of people complain about this noise, people cannot sleep ,Conrail started blow a horn a few years ago since this time It was a lot complains not just only in Bordentown they were everywhere , Conrail don't have to use so loud 100 db horn and ,,torture ,, people in the night ,maybe some regulation need to be change !!!!!!!!!!
Tom

Medford, NJ

#12 Dec 9, 2014
bumper 2014 wrote:
As a side, I live in Bordentown, so we are getting it up here, too. Its not a matter if "just dont move there" the trains are not even near us. You wouldnt even know about the noise unless it was late night. Im fine with the riverline, but their horns are cake next to the Conrail ones.
CONRAIL stops blow a horn loud when peoples complain a lot and after a weeks they do do the same they blow a horn a lot , if they can change signal in the night somethimes why they can't continue use the same a little horn , they are some regulations , what about kids health who are waking up in the night? Doesnt make sense blow a horn so loud at 2am 4am in the night there is no traffic no people.
John

Mount Holly, NJ

#13 Dec 12, 2014
Tom wrote:
<quoted text>
CONRAIL stops blow a horn loud when peoples complain a lot and after a weeks they do do the same they blow a horn a lot , if they can change signal in the night somethimes why they can't continue use the same a little horn , they are some regulations , what about kids health who are waking up in the night? Doesnt make sense blow a horn so loud at 2am 4am in the night there is no traffic no people.
Tom, quit your whining. If it wasn't necessary to blow the train horns, they wouldint do it because there are noise ordinances in towns except for specific reasons, A tractor trailer cant even use its Jake Brake within town limits without getting a citation. I use to live near the tracks too about 20 years ago, but I got smart once I started a family and moved away. I think you should move to the Florida Keys where there are no trains because your whining is getting out of control.
Stan

Tucson, AZ

#14 Jan 10, 2015
Dale wrote:
When you move to an area that has trains nearby, you have NO grounds to complain about the noise.The trains are noisy,but nessecary to deliver products and have been there longer than people,who could have chosen ANYWHERE to live. Railway Dams will not work because they only buffer the noise where they are used,and you cant install noise barriers the entire length of railway.
Actually that's not true. The law does not allow someone to create a hazard because they were there first. What's particularly bad about the train whistles is that the federal law changed about ten years ago which makes them blast the horn more. Either way it's an unacceptable nuisance.
Stan

Tucson, AZ

#15 Jan 10, 2015
NoBlinders wrote:
They been blowing that train whistle for the last 40 years since I've been around, now all of a sudden its a problem? To say they just started doing that is a flat out lie!!!!!! Move closer to the airport, those planes never fly!!!smh
Actually the federal regulations for train horns changed about a decade ago so they are louder and more frequent now. This is a national problem.
chaya

South Burlington, VT

#16 Apr 8, 2015
Stan wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually that's not true. The law does not allow someone to create a hazard because they were there first. What's particularly bad about the train whistles is that the federal law changed about ten years ago which makes them blast the horn more. Either way it's an unacceptable nuisance.

Glad to see your post. Last night, the sounds were louder and longer. I had not realized sounds heard before were actually from a train, and thought that maybe my neighbor had a new video game to play at 3 in the morning. Bottom line, sleep was disturbed, and I am concerned that this will go on. Can anything be done?
Frustrated

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Sep 23, 2015
I'm soo Frustrated with this noise blowin so loud in the middle of the night and early in the morning Unacceptable there is no traffic or people out it should be a law against this I don't even live near the river line and I can hear it why do it have to be that loud we all need to get together and do something about this we pay taxes
Tommy

Mount Holly, NJ

#18 Oct 9, 2015
Frustrated wrote:
I'm soo Frustrated with this noise blowin so loud in the middle of the night and early in the morning Unacceptable there is no traffic or people out it should be a law against this I don't even live near the river line and I can hear it why do it have to be that loud we all need to get together and do something about this we pay taxes
Ear plugs or move. Either option would work.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Holly Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Willingboro police investigating armed car jack... 11 hr bill 1
Mike Brown's mother at D.N.C. 16 hr bill 1
what happened to willingboro ???????????? (Jul '07) 17 hr Crack Corn 895
Willingboro teen shot in Burlington Jul 24 bill 1
willingboro murder suspect facing extradition Jul 22 bill 1
Black lives matter is racist and lost (Mar '15) Jul 19 Crack Corn 8
In 7 months Willingboro has had 16 shootings. Jul 19 bill 1

Mount Holly Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mount Holly Mortgages