Linear Park Beside Train Track

Posted in the Mount Holly Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
The Truth

Houston, TX

#1 Mar 19, 2012
Who had the bright idea to put a sidewalk beside the train tracks? I wonder who would be libel God forbid if there was ever a derailment or chemical spill where people are walking. It happened in Warrenton, SC with a Chlorine spill and also in Iron Station when several box cars derailed. Sure, it looks nice but someone wasn't using their brain.
Bogus Screen Name

Charlotte, NC

#2 Mar 19, 2012
The Truth wrote:
Who had the bright idea to put a sidewalk beside the train tracks? I wonder who would be libel God forbid if there was ever a derailment or chemical spill where people are walking. It happened in Warrenton, SC with a Chlorine spill and also in Iron Station when several box cars derailed. Sure, it looks nice but someone wasn't using their brain.
Every railroad track is an unofficial linear park.
The Bright Idea

Denver, NC

#3 Mar 19, 2012
The Truth wrote:
People like you are why this country is going to hell in a hand bag!!!!How many train accidents with spills has been close to MH ?What damn reason do you care where the park is?---you won't use it if it were in your back yard----just someone to bitch,bitch,bitch---there are 10,000 citys with a sidewalk beside a railroad track and notheing has happon!!!Why the hell do you think it will happon in MH?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#4 Mar 19, 2012
Is anybody on this forum ever satisfied with anything?!?! Or is it just a place for people to B!tCH? I think the linear park makes Mt. Holly look more appealing on 27. Now if we can just bulldoze the low end, and most of the people in it, Mt. Holly would be the perfect little city!!
The Truth

Houston, TX

#5 Mar 19, 2012
TheTruthWord4Word wrote:
Is anybody on this forum ever satisfied with anything?!?! Or is it just a place for people to B!tCH? I think the linear park makes Mt. Holly look more appealing on 27. Now if we can just bulldoze the low end, and most of the people in it, Mt. Holly would be the perfect little city!!
I am concerned about peoples safety. I think a greenway along the river would be the best location for our residents to walk/jog. It only takes one accident to change lives. There were people killed from the chlorine leak when that happened in Warrenton, SC. I don't think by posting what I have is bitching. I just think it's dumb to attract walkers to a train track that has trains speeding by at 50 miles per hour. I can't think of any other city around here that has a sidewalk parallel to a train track. Be by guest and list one.
The Truth

Houston, TX

#6 Mar 19, 2012
Actually, it was in Graniteville near Warrenton SC. 9 people were killed over 250 injured and over 5000 people were displaced from their homes.
Mr White

Charlotte, NC

#7 Mar 19, 2012
Come on. Tracks been there many many years. People walking beside tracks many many years without sidewalk.
The Truth

Houston, TX

#8 Mar 20, 2012
Mr White wrote:
Come on. Tracks been there many many years. People walking beside tracks many many years without sidewalk.
It's thinking like yours that allowed this in the first place. Complacency at its worst.

Location hidden

#9 Mar 20, 2012
The Truth wrote:
<quoted text>It's thinking like yours that allowed this in the first place. Complacency at its worst.
What about the businesses that has been right beside the tracks since the beginning of time? Maybe we should just tear them down and rebuild them somewhere else.. Why don't you go to belmont and tell them they're going to have to get rid of stowe park since it's beside the railroad tracks and tell them they can't have their festivals downtown since a railroad track goes straight through the middle of them. If you're scared of walking beside the train tracks then don't, and don't let your family, but for the rest of the population that refuse to live in fear we"re going to enjoy the linear park that your tax dollars helped construct.
The Truth

Houston, TX

#10 Mar 20, 2012
TheTruthWord4Word wrote:
<quoted text>
What about the businesses that has been right beside the tracks since the beginning of time? Maybe we should just tear them down and rebuild them somewhere else.. Why don't you go to belmont and tell them they're going to have to get rid of stowe park since it's beside the railroad tracks and tell them they can't have their festivals downtown since a railroad track goes straight through the middle of them. If you're scared of walking beside the train tracks then don't, and don't let your family, but for the rest of the population that refuse to live in fear we"re going to enjoy the linear park that your tax dollars helped construct.
I cannot believe the ignorance of the posters in this forum. My concern is the safety of families that want to get out an exercise in a safe environment. I hardly think that encouraging folks to walk along rail road tracks is a safe thing to do, that is why railroads post no trespassing signs on their property. Stowe Park is a wide open space and while it's border faces the tracks, residents are not encouraged to "huddle" up near the tracks. I am sorry, but I think a greenway parallel with the tracks is a stupid idea and I for one will not use this new $500,000 death trap.
One Old Hawk

Stanley, NC

#11 Mar 20, 2012
The Truth wrote:
I guess the same people who had the bright idea to put River St. Park right beside the tracks. No problems down at that park with the tracks. I know that for the past 40 plus years they have had ball games or practice beside the tracks.

Location hidden

#12 Mar 20, 2012
Well exercise at Tuckaseege Park, there's no railroad tracks there, or go to the Y. Better yet don't even drive down Central Ave or Highway 27 because those roads are parallel to the railroad tracks. You know what? I think the city planners done that on purpose so people would have to "huddle" by the railroad tracks. I haven't done my research but I'm pretty sure more people die from car crashes than by a train hopping the tracks and killing people. Hey Truth, do you drive? Cause if you do maybe you should think about not driving. There's a lot of crazy drivers out and I just don't think it's safe for families to be driving.
The Truth

Houston, TX

#13 Mar 20, 2012
Ok, the city council members have spoken, let's hear other people's opinions
Bogus Screen Name

Charlotte, NC

#14 Mar 20, 2012
TheTruthWord4Word wrote:
Well exercise at Tuckaseege Park, there's no railroad tracks there, or go to the Y. Better yet don't even drive down Central Ave or Highway 27 because those roads are parallel to the railroad tracks. You know what? I think the city planners done that on purpose so people would have to "huddle" by the railroad tracks. I haven't done my research but I'm pretty sure more people die from car crashes than by a train hopping the tracks and killing people. Hey Truth, do you drive? Cause if you do maybe you should think about not driving. There's a lot of crazy drivers out and I just don't think it's safe for families to be driving.
How do people get hit by trains anyway? Wouldn't you just step left or right and it goes right by you?
Recycle Recycle Recycle

United States

#15 Mar 21, 2012
People! It only takes ONE incident. If you or your children were walking on the linear parkway and got killed by a derailed train, you would NOT be saying the same thing! Absolutely not. Then you would be questioning why safety was not an issue from the get go. Everyone has an opinion on here. Please let's be civil with one another and not shoot everyone down..... Be kind, please. Thank you.
Bogus Screen Name

Charlotte, NC

#16 Mar 21, 2012
Recycle Recycle Recycle wrote:
People! It only takes ONE incident. If you or your children were walking on the linear parkway and got killed by a derailed train, you would NOT be saying the same thing! Absolutely not. Then you would be questioning why safety was not an issue from the get go. Everyone has an opinion on here. Please let's be civil with one another and not shoot everyone down..... Be kind, please. Thank you.
Isn't there a possibility that an airplane could fall out of the sky and strike you? Should we ban airplane flight?
The Truth

Houston, TX

#17 Mar 21, 2012
I think if you ask the folks up past Stanley how likely a train derailment was, they would tell you it was entirely possible. CSX railroad carrys dangerous chemicals, coal, buidling supplies and everything else imagineable under the sun. Mt.Holly wants a greenway regardless of the safety or for that matter the cost. Well now they have one, in the most dangerous location that one could ever put one in.
Recycle Recycle Recycle

United States

#18 Mar 23, 2012
Bogus Screen Name wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't there a possibility that an airplane could fall out of the sky and strike you? Should we ban airplane flight?
Like I said, if you or your loved one or someone you care about gets hurt or killed, you don't think it will EVER happen....... You would fit right in with the planning dept. in this little town.
Bogus Screen Name

Charlotte, NC

#19 Mar 23, 2012
<quoted text>
Like I said, if you or your loved one or someone you care about gets hurt or killed, you don't think it will EVER happen....... You would fit right in with the planning dept. in this little town.
Aren't you more likely to be hit by a car while walking on a sidewalk downtown than for a train to jump the tracks and strike you?
Bogus Screen Name

Charlotte, NC

#20 Mar 23, 2012
<quoted text>
Aren't you more likely to die from the effects of smoking than for a train to jump the tracks and strike you?

Or obesity?

Or a sedentary lifestyle?

Or from drugs?

Or from a risky lifestyle?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Holly Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
There are nazi in mount holy Wed puhleeze 3
Ugly Building Downtown Aug 14 Therealdeal 15
Way to go Mayor Larry Simonds (Mar '15) Aug 12 John k-hole 6
Need information for Glenn Perkins!! Jul 23 Kevin 7
News Criminal Charges- 7-12-17 Jul '17 jlom 1
News One injured, one dead in Pharr accident (Nov '16) Jul '17 Go Tarheels 5
Fund Balance and the new Middle School Jun '17 confused 5

Mount Holly Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance