State Warns Santa Cruz Moth-Fight Del...

State Warns Santa Cruz Moth-Fight Delays Could Mean Use of Potent Insecticide

There are 1 comment on the KION story from Apr 15, 2008, titled State Warns Santa Cruz Moth-Fight Delays Could Mean Use of Potent Insecticide. In it, KION reports that:

California agriculture officials warn a potent pesticide may be necessary in battling the Light Brown Apple Moth if Santa Cruz delays spraying of a pheromone to fight the crop-destroying pest. via KION

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KION.

dr carl williams

Oakland, CA

#1 Apr 16, 2008
Nobody seems to be aware of the other ingredients already added to the pheromone,and their health effects (the list released by USDA: 11-tetradecen-1-yl acetate; 9,11 tetradecadien-1-yl acetate;butilated hydroxytoluene;polyvinyl alcohol;tricaprylyl methyl ammonium chloride; sodium phosphate;ammonium phosphate;1,2-benzizothizoli-3 -one;2-hydroxy-4-n-octyloxyben zophenone:
SHORT TERM EXPOSURE:
1)sodium biphosphate causing irritation to respiratory tract, shortness of breath, coughing, skin irritation.
2)polyvinyl alcohol itching eyes, burning pain in throat and nose.
3)ammonium phosphate causing irritation to skin, respiratory tract, shortness of breath.
The health effects I listed above result from inhalation and skin contact only, and may occur within hours/days.
LONG TERM EXPOSURE:
The health effects from chronic, prolongued exposure (since the microgranules will be present in the environment for over 30 days) include:
1)sequestration of calcium and cause calcium phosphate deposits in the kidneys.
2)drop in hemoglobin and erythrocyte number with eventual complete coagulation inhibition.
3)there is a possibility of carcinogenicity as seen in some animal studies.
(source: Mallinckrodt Chemicals MSDS Material Safety Data Sheet)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount-Hermon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pair arrested in downtown Santa Cruz for spray ... 1 hr Paul Mendoza 13
Get a job ya whackjob 6 hr The Truth Hurts 16
News Santa Cruz police release surveillance images i... 12 hr Paul Mendoza 4
Send Nancy Lou back to Samar 16 hr ran off eighth 1
WooF Stalks John Colby on FB (Jul '13) Thu Paul Mendoza 9
Pair of Morons arrested for Vandalism of sidewa... Thu Paul Mendoza 7
What has Robert Norse done for the homeless? (Dec '12) Aug 26 The Truth Hurts 20
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mount-Hermon Mortgages