Lake man receives 10 years in DUI death -- OrlandoSentinel.com

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

Holding a scrapbook filled with a life's worth of photos, a teary-eyed mother stood in a courtroom Monday and faced the man who plowed drunk into her daughter, Katrina Adkins, more than a year ago.
Comments
1 - 20 of 26 Comments Last updated Aug 3, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jimmie

Baltimore, MD

#1 Jul 31, 2007
What is the difference between drinking until your blood alcohol concentration is .327 and then getting into a car and driving and taking a loaded rifle and shooting it into a crowd of people? In either case the result is likely going to be the same. Why then should someone who kills someone with a car after getting drunk only get ten years when someone who shoots into a crowd would likely get a far more severe sentence? This is truly a miscarriage of justice. Ten years in prison is a long time. He'll serve around six if he behaves himself. Incidents like this will continue to occur on our nations roads until the crime is reclassified from "DUI manslaughter" to second degree murder. Firing a gun into a crowd or into an occupied building and killing someone is depraved heart murder and would qualify the perpetrator to be charged with second degree murder.Until the penalty fits the crime, innocent people will continue to die. It is a sad day.

Please pray for Angela Adkins and her family for strength and the ability to forgive Mr. Key for his actions.
Seriously

AOL

#2 Jul 31, 2007
Actually he will serve 8 1/2, minus any time he has already done.
Susan

Cocoa, FL

#3 Jul 31, 2007
This is unfortunate all the way around. Drunk driviing is not something that can be excused but I am sure that John Keys would do anything to take this back.

It was also foolish of those women to remain in a car blocking a road in the middle of the night. They should have left the vehicle unitl it was moved.

If a trucker, sober, hit them and still killed her it may not have been ruled such a crime and maybe even been called an accident with these girls playing some part becasue of their blocking the highway.

Please look at all sides of this.

John Keys life is also ruined by this.
Not Nearly Enough

Kalamazoo, MI

#5 Jul 31, 2007
10 years (8.5) is a cakewalk for this guy, probably in minimum security.

What a crock of crap.

Until we start locking people up like for life, expect more of the same.

All of us who don't drink and drive shoudl be really angry at this!
jlc--mamacita

Wildwood, FL

#6 Jul 31, 2007
Susan wrote:
This is unfortunate all the way around. Drunk driviing is not something that can be excused but I am sure that John Keys would do anything to take this back.
It was also foolish of those women to remain in a car blocking a road in the middle of the night. They should have left the vehicle unitl it was moved.
If a trucker, sober, hit them and still killed her it may not have been ruled such a crime and maybe even been called an accident with these girls playing some part becasue of their blocking the highway.
It doesn't necessarily mean she was parked in the middle of the road. A drunk driver with BAC of .327 is just as likely to hit a car on the side of the road as he is hitting a car in the middle of the road.

If Mr. Keys truly feels remorse, he won't ever be behind the wheel of a car after drinking. Only time will tell on that. As a child, I had a couple of friends, who's parents had been involved in a DUI resulting in injury (thankfully not death) of another. These individuals turned their lives around, attended whatever therapy worked, and never again drank. It can happen that Mr. Keys learn from his mistake. The MADD check for $327 will go along way toward keeping this tragedy in his mind.

I pray that he will learn from his mistake and not be around to kill again.
DFloridian

AOL

#7 Jul 31, 2007
Susan wrote:
So you think you can excuse an out-of-control drunk
and blame this on the girls??? What about the newspaper deliveryman who was critically injured
by Keys too? I guess you can't find any explanation about how he is to blame for the accident. You are
a pathetic enabler who probably drinks and drives and
just hopes you don't get caught. I say this guy got
off too easy, it is sickening. All those lives gone
or ruined because he thought he was above the law.
he is not a victim but a perpretator
What

AOL

#8 Jul 31, 2007
Jimmie wrote:
What is the difference between drinking until your blood alcohol concentration is .327 and then getting into a car and driving and taking a loaded rifle and shooting it into a crowd of people? In either case the result is likely going to be the same.Please pray for Angela Adkins and her family for strength and the ability to forgive Mr. Key for his actions.
Look up the word 'intent'. One intended to hurt or kill others, the other did not. Not excusing the DUI defendant, but there IS a big difference. I agree with the last sentence you wrote 100% though.
Katrinas Mom

United States

#9 Jul 31, 2007
Susan wrote:
While all the people involved in the first accident, and a witness on the side of the road were on the phone with 911 John Key plowed into the car that Katrina was in.This happened within a matter of minutes...All parties were just getting out of there car...
Katrinas Mom

United States

#10 Jul 31, 2007
John Key plowed into the car Katrina was in in a matter of moments after the first accident. There was no time for any of them to get out of the way.
May you never know

Kissimmee, FL

#11 Aug 1, 2007
Susan wrote:
the anguish and pain that the victims and their families of this horrible tragedy are going through. You would be a lot less sympathetic if after reading this article you had to go and visit your loved one who is still hospitalized, 6 months after being hit by a different drunk driver who's blood alcohol level was 4 times the legal limit. My father is one such case.

Is the Drunk sorry that he hit my father? He most definitely says he is. But none of the prior arrests and convictions stopped him from taking the wheel and driving into my father's vehicle. It also didn't stop him from killing several other people in the same accident. I'm just grateful that I still have my Dad and that he'll walk again. But chances are, he may never work again.

Mr. Keys had a choice to get behind the wheel and drive his car while impaired. Katrina, from the looks of it, was doing everything she was supposed to do. She was following the rules. Mr. Keys may have truly be sorry for his actions. But the damage has already been done.
May you never know

Kissimmee, FL

#12 Aug 1, 2007
Katrinas Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
While all the people involved in the first accident, and a witness on the side of the road were on the phone with 911 John Key plowed into the car that Katrina was in.This happened within a matter of minutes...All parties were just getting out of there car...
I'm very sorry for your loss.
nonyaa

Lake City, FL

#13 Aug 1, 2007
DFloridian wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think you can excuse an out-of-control drunk
and blame this on the girls??? What about the newspaper deliveryman who was critically injured
by Keys too? I guess you can't find any explanation about how he is to blame for the accident. You are
a pathetic enabler who probably drinks and drives and
just hopes you don't get caught. I say this guy got
off too easy, it is sickening. All those lives gone
or ruined because he thought he was above the law.
he is not a victim but a perpretator
And I guess you NEVER make mistakes. Yes, John drank too much, Yes he got behind the wheel, but do you really think that he meant to harm anyone???? Yes, he may have ruined a bunch of peoples lives, but he has also ruined his own. He can only blame himself for that, but I pray that he will find God and ask for his forgiveness. God is the only one that can help him. He may have an illness with alcohol. No one has the right to judge him but God. You have your opinions as well as everyone else. But for you to bash someone for their OPINION is wrong. I'm not a drinker and never have been, but that doesn't mean I have to go around calling people Pathetic.
Katrinas Aunt

AOL

#14 Aug 1, 2007
I am only convinced that John Key was remorseful for what he will suffer. He had second even third chances in this life...the fact that he continued to drive and drink showed that he didn't care if he hurt or killed anyone.
I hope his life is ruined.....forever.
Katrina was a bright spot in my world, and that of her friends... she did not deserve this.
Katrinas Aunt

AOL

#15 Aug 1, 2007
BTW Susan, Katrina had hurt her leg in the first accident, she could not get out of the car.
And its MORE than unfortunate.
Bill

AOL

#16 Aug 1, 2007
The thing is that Key didn't CARE whether he hurt anyone or not. Using alcohol IMPLIES intent in the eyes of the law.
Bill

AOL

#18 Aug 2, 2007
JBTWOOOO wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, no it doesn't.
The rule of law is, that although the use of intoxicating liquors does to some extent blind the reason and exasperate the passions, yet as a man voluntarily brings it upon himself, he cannot use it as an excuse, or justification or extenuation of crime. A man, because he is intoxicated, is not deprived of any legal advantage or protection; but he cannot avail himself of his intoxication to exempt him from any legal responsibility, which would attach to him, if sober.
Katrinas Aunt

AOL

#19 Aug 2, 2007
John Key has a long history of reckless and unlawfull speed infractions going back to 1997....he was driving on a suspended license when the accident happened. He committed a felony by driving TO the bar, he most certainly had the intention of drinking and driving home.
What he did was just as intentional as if he had shot Katrina. 10 years is not nearly enough.
Thank God he's off the street and YOUR (anyone who defends his actions) family members are safe from him killing them.
All facts not told

Worthville, KY

#20 Aug 2, 2007
This is a most unfortunate case. But as I have some facts that are not present, there are no inoccent parties here. Mr. Key was not the only intocicated person in this accident. It is true only that he was the only one that was tested. Why that happened I do not know. This in no way excuses the actions of Mr. Key but he did not cause the enitial accident that started the chain of events. Beleive me, all parties have suffered and continue to suffer. Mr. Key will live with the knowledge that he was ultimatly responsible for the death of a person for the rest of his life. I am sure it is the last thing he thinks of before he falls to sleep and the first thing he thinks of when he wakes. 10 to 8 1/2 years is a long time to do nothing but think and remember. He too was and is a husband, father, son, brother, uncle. He had a life and family too that was dearly effected. I pray that the family and friends of Katrina will find peace someday. I hope Mr. Key will find peace as well.
Katrinas Aunt

AOL

#21 Aug 2, 2007
I wish him NO peace....Katrina was not driving....she was a passenger in a car, on her way home. Who the hell are you to judge her innocence.....I feel sorry for his family, but they should have stopped his drinking long ago and thereby share some blame in letting him continue to drive drunk FOR YEARS!!!!!
May you never know

Kissimmee, FL

#22 Aug 3, 2007
All facts not told wrote:
This is a most unfortunate case. But as I have some facts that are not present, there are no inoccent parties here. Mr. Key was not the only intocicated person in this accident. It is true only that he was the only one that was tested. Why that happened I do not know. This in no way excuses the actions of Mr. Key but he did not cause the enitial accident that started the chain of events. Beleive me, all parties have suffered and continue to suffer. Mr. Key will live with the knowledge that he was ultimatly responsible for the death of a person for the rest of his life. I am sure it is the last thing he thinks of before he falls to sleep and the first thing he thinks of when he wakes. 10 to 8 1/2 years is a long time to do nothing but think and remember. He too was and is a husband, father, son, brother, uncle. He had a life and family too that was dearly effected. I pray that the family and friends of Katrina will find peace someday. I hope Mr. Key will find peace as well.
Of course all the facts will not be reported in a newspaper.

You asked why no one else was tested. Could it be because no one else was drunk AND driving? Could it be that the officers (who arrest a lot of drunks) could tell the difference between being drunk and being in shock?

You mentioned that he did not cause the initial accident. No one is suggesting that he did. But had he been SOBER, he would have had better reaction time and could have avoided adding to the initial accident.

More to the point, this is not his first arrest on DUI charges, which all is a matter of public record. He knew the consequences of his actions.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Dora Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
VitAg closes on more than $110 million in finan... 50 min the circus is in ... 1
Fred Brummer Will Invite Jennifer Sullivan to S... 9 hr the circus is in ... 1
Fred Brummer Photo 9 hr the circus is in ... 1
i love buzzards 14 hr the circus is in ... 1
Sun Rail A High Cost Danger 16 hr the circus is in ... 1
Brad and Angelina Married? 17 hr the circus is in ... 1
Mayors In Trouble Fri the circus is in ... 1
•••
•••
•••

Mount Dora Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000