Singer arrested on drug charges

Singer arrested on drug charges

There are 94 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jun 5, 2007, titled Singer arrested on drug charges. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

The lead singer of the '60s rock band The Grass Roots faces three felony counts of obtaining prescription painkillers illegally after sheriff's detectives arrested him at his home in Mount Dora.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Lake Countian

Leesburg, FL

#1 Jun 5, 2007
why don't local law enforcement spend more time arresting the big wheels like the band in Umatilla just recently with their meth-labs than innocent people who unfortunatly deal with cronic pain. As a matter of fact, do we even have an active police force in Mount Dora?? I rarely see police officers any more. Let me put a bug in their ear. It would be in the police dept. best interest to stay around Donnely and Fifth. What a cluster**** that is.
Yepper

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Jun 5, 2007
That's pretty recent- Im sure they didnt just get him by culling through records- I wonder how/why?
Imermaid27

Longwood, FL

#3 Jun 5, 2007
How cruel to kick this civic minded, good man when he's down after 4 total hip replacements, 2 shoulder replacements and who now needs a knee replacement. Last week (on his dime), he raised thousands of dollars for a very popular local musician at a fundraiser he arranged.
He contacted the LCSO over a month ago for help when he heard he was under investigation and has been to rehab. This handicapped man with a bone disease has given to this community in so many ways for so many years but you won't acknowledge that. Shame on you for this tabloid fodder. Get the whole story before you print what sells. Slow news day? You need to apologize. And there was only one female detective who arrested him not plural...just to start with your misinformation. What else is untrue or not mentioned? Pitiful. We should help people here, not ignore the truthful facts just for a deadline .
maryanne72954

Woodridge, IL

#4 Jun 6, 2007
Rob Grill is a very kind and decent man who has had some very hard knocks over the past several years. Yes, I am a fan of his and have gotten to know him and his wife. I know I speak for many of his fans and hope he will be treated fairly about this. To bad justice doesn't go after the REAL criminals.

Since: Dec 06

somewhere in the frozen North

#5 Jun 6, 2007
Imermaid27 wrote:
How cruel to kick this civic minded, good man when he's down after 4 total hip replacements, 2 shoulder replacements and who now needs a knee replacement. Last week (on his dime), he raised thousands of dollars for a very popular local musician at a fundraiser he arranged.
He contacted the LCSO over a month ago for help when he heard he was under investigation and has been to rehab. This handicapped man with a bone disease has given to this community in so many ways for so many years but you won't acknowledge that. Shame on you for this tabloid fodder. Get the whole story before you print what sells. Slow news day? You need to apologize. And there was only one female detective who arrested him not plural...just to start with your misinformation. What else is untrue or not mentioned? Pitiful. We should help people here, not ignore the truthful facts just for a deadline .
Thanks for giving us more info.

The Sentinel is sounding more like The National Enquirer every day. Despicable.

My prayers to Robert & Chris. Thanks for some really great tunes & some really great memories!

“Striving to be better daily”

Since: Jan 07

Zephyrhills, Fl

#6 Jun 6, 2007
Rebellious_One wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for giving us more info.
The Sentinel is sounding more like The National Enquirer every day. Despicable.
My prayers to Robert & Chris. Thanks for some really great tunes & some really great memories!
Two things are guarenteed in life and when in pain it is an absolute. There is no justice and here in central florida, there is NO justice for us in pain!

I don't know this man and I have never been in trouble, I don't do anything to get into trouble because of my pain but I can understand that this man has some serious intractible issues and needs help. He is doing some phenomanal work in the community and since he needs his meds cannot leave for any lenghth of time, the law knows where he is at all times. Yet, he is a "big time" criminal and the thughs peddleing methamphetimines all over our small towns go unchecked regularly and they do nothing for the community except break laws and cause families to go broke and spread diesease.

Oh well, chalk one more up for the Barney Fifes of Central Florida! Yeah!!!!
joanne13mick

AOL

#7 Jun 6, 2007
What a shame that this man's good name is being dragged through the mud. I know him to be a good and decent family man. Who is kind and considerate. Why do you people have to tear him down when he is in a weaken medical condition and requires the support of my fellow Grass Roots fans around the world.

Rob and Nancy you both have my full support and love.

Joanne
Shirleyw29

AOL

#8 Jun 6, 2007
I first met Rob Grill in person back in 1974 but was a FAN long before that. I have seen the PAIN that Rob has endured the past several years. I have seen him on stage with crutches, his foot in a cast, his arm in a sling, but that never stopped Rob from performing in order NOT to disappoint his fans! The guy deserves a lot of credit and if you were in his shoes, you'd probably have needed some pain killers to get you through the night, too.
We should be very proud of Rob for being so loyal to his fans that he would put the pain and anguish he suffers from his bone disease in second place, just so he could be out there giving his audience what he knows they want.......
A great concert!!!!
Rob is a very private person and I think he deserves more credit than what was given to him over this incident.
He's far from a criminal and certainly wasn't trying to do harm to anyone.
Bless you Rob!!!
Sandy Davis

Circleville, OH

#9 Jun 7, 2007
I have been a fan of Rob Grill and The Grass Roots since the late 60's. Over the last 2 years I've enjoyed seeing him in concert, met and chatted with him as well as just attended the Mount Dora benefit concert on May 27th. He has endured pain for so many years but is totally loyal to all of us, his fans. He's just trying to take care of himself while still being there for all of us and putting on the greatest shows I've ever been too!! After all the good he's done do the Mount Dora police have nothing better to do??? I hope all of this will just become a bad memory for Rob and Nancy. Keep the faith Rob - we love you!!
Blair White

Forest, VA

#10 Jun 7, 2007
This guy has friends and fans all over the US. In that he does a lot of positive things in his community and in other places this is definately a case where the local court should take the matter under advisement for six months to a year with the result being a dismissal of the present charge after Mr. Grill adheres to the terms of the order which sounds like he is doing with treatment. Hopefully his actions along with his character witnesses will lead to this result.

Robin

AOL

#11 Jun 7, 2007
I can't believe they would possibly arrest Rob Grill. He has been entertaining us fans without even the hint that he was in pain.
With all the other people getting away with much worse, they have to arrest someone who legitimately needs these pills for pain
I will and other fans will continue to support him

“Peace Love and The Grass Roots”

Since: Jun 07

Gainesville, FL

#12 Jun 7, 2007
The photo of Rob in my profile was taken one week before this 'incident'. When he walked out on stage he needed a cane. But once the show started he never showed the pain he was in. Judge for yourself, does this man look like a criminal or a performer who is there to give everything for the show?

This country needs to address the real problem we won't face, that some illnesses cause people to suffer tremendous pain. Real pain management should be the issue rather than arresting a man dealing with a painful illness.
Linda

Brooklyn, NY

#13 Jun 7, 2007
Rob Grill is a kind, giving, generous soul. I am so sorry to hear he is in such pain. Anyone (myself included) with chronic pain understands what he is going through. I challenge the bottom feeder who authored this "news" to find anyone who ever had an unkind word to say about the legend that is Rob. I only have more love and respect for him now. Hold your head up, Mr. Grill. You have my loyalty and support. I will always be "rooting" for you.
Kris

AOL

#14 Jun 7, 2007
The more I read this, the more it reminds me of those ethical dilemmas we learned back in Psych 101. Dealing with chronic pain, a man makes a mistake. He realizes the mistake, admits it, and takes steps to correct it. In return, he is arrested - charged with an offence far exceeding the actual deed - and sees his good name thrown to the streets. Now tell me: which is the true crime?
Hang in there, Rob & Nancy. We're here, pulling for you.
sandy1grassroots fan

AOL

#15 Jun 7, 2007
I am a long time fan of the Grass Roots and I can't believe this is happening! Rob Grill has been so loyal to his fans and always puts on a great show even though he's been dealing with pain for many years. Aren't there any real criminals out there for the police to arrest?
Hang in there Rob and Nancy - I'm sure this will all be over soon!!
Joanne Davidson -

AOL

#16 Jun 8, 2007
I am a long time Grass Roots fan as well. Rob has brought such happiness to the lives of all his fans and inspite of his medical problems and much risk to his own health he has continued to perform and has endured this severe pain for many years. We should be helping him instead of him becoming SuperMarket tabloid news!!! Rob we are all very proud of you. Don't you people have more important stories to report on!!! Since I am apart of the medical profession and have taken care of people in severe pain we need better ways to treat people that have to deal with the issues of chronic pain.

Rob and Nancy still behind you 100%

Joanne in NJ
Gloria Lim

Oakland, CA

#18 Jun 8, 2007
What balderdash, to arrest this kind, sweet man and put him and his wife through the worse hell! Rob Grill is a decent and loving human being who has provided happiness to all his fans through his performing, sharing his talents, and connecting with his audiences throughout the years. He is one of the most dedicated artists to his craft that I know of. I have met him a few times and I can tell you he is NO criminal. The more I think about this, the angrier I get.

Rob, my prayers are with you and Nancy. You will get through this. Hopefully, it will soon be over and you can get on with your lives.
Carol Kremen

United States

#19 Jun 8, 2007
You know...I just don't get our justice system. Did someone watch the reruns of House that are airing on tv and got an idea planted into their little heads to do this?

Rob Grill is a decent, upstanding citizen in his community and elsewhere, who does nothing but good and is dedicated to his music and fans, in spite of being in constant pain because of numerous joint replacements and a degenerative disease.

He IS NOT some kind of thug who is standing on the street corner selling drugs to destroy the lives of others. Those are the kinds of people law enforcement needs to focus on...
NOT an individual who is merely trying to manage his own pain.

Rob nor his family deserves this kind of treatment. I support them 100% and they are in my thoughts and prayers.

And, as for the media...you people will do anything for a story, even if it destroys someones life...how pathetic. You want a story? How about you and the law enforcement people head on over to Hollywierd and take notice of all of the pop tartlets who are doing underaged drinking in bars and who's pictures have been plastered all over the magazines doing lines of coke with their friends in a bathroom. Those same people who come into YOUR establishments to party as well.

Why isn't something being done about them instead of trying to make an example out of someone who, as far as I am concerned, has done nothing wrong??
Kathie

AOL

#20 Jun 8, 2007
Rob Grill is one of the nicest guys around, gives his all when he performs (and performs alot!), and has been through so very much! What a bunch of bull I think with the drug charges, there's so many more real junkies out there that get illegal drugs, make illegal drugs and also do things to really get prescribtion drugs ILLEGALLY, I don't even consider getting them from multiple doctors as illegal, the poor guy was in a heck of a lot of pain! And I know what it feels like to have hip/bone pain personally, so I can sympathize with him on that. I think it's really bad of this paper to even have something like this published!
Jersey Girl

AOL

#23 Jun 9, 2007
Another fan supporting Mr. Grill and his family. Keep the faith Rob and Nancy still behind you both!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Dora Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lcso negligence 9 hr 1side 4ever 18
Trump will win, wait and see just watch Tue Jeb Bush 1
Lets FIRE 30 Year Career Politician JIMMY CONNE... Aug 22 Beekeeper 2
News Mobile-home park residents still hoping for cha... (Aug '07) Aug 22 Changed man 18
News Water bill hangs public out to dry (May '09) Aug 21 leila lima 15
What About Lake Sheriff Borders? (Nov '11) Aug 15 Mary dodd 872
Feel the Heartbeat of the FAKE PULSE! Aug 10 NWO 1

Mount Dora Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mount Dora Mortgages