Clermont will install red-light cameras at 13 intersections

Feb 13, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Orlando Sentinel

Clermont will soon join the legions of Central Florida communities using red-light cameras, adding the devices at 13 intersections along State Road 50 and U.S. Highway 27.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Concerd Lake County Res

Clermont, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

There is no way the statistical data supports car wrecks at every intersection that Clermont has proposed to install red light cameras. Why did they not wait until the Florida Supreme Court rules on the cameras. This is simply a way to collect money .
I could see putting cameras at the four major interscetion for accidents, and use that as a trial basis, however the city council has bitten of more than they can chew on this one. Show some statistical data that supports all of the intersections, maybe then I will buy in. Just another revenue generating city council, who really hides behind safety as a cash cow.
John Harley

Daytona Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

Judged:

People who think red light cameras are unfair have developed this legal protest called “FlashJam” for a combination of Flash Mob and Traffic Jam

How it works,
A group of individuals protesting the cams work together to lay out a strategy of informing friends and other interested people to be ready to protest.
An email or tweet goes out to the protesters to converge on a particular busy intersection by car, often at rush hour to begin a routine of going through the intersection and then turning around and going back through it over and over often in a left turn lane or other easily backed up lane all the time obeying all traffic laws.
The drivers move as slowly as legally possible and when the light turns yellow (not red) they Stop. Drivers making a right turn do not turn on red but wait for green.
The continuing routine quickly creates a traffic jam at the intersection worsening the problem.
Sometimes the protesters may write on their windows using white shoe polish things like,
Red Light Cameras Unfair
Red Light Cameras Illegal
Ban Red Light Cameras
Red Light Cameras Cause Accidents.
I Brake for Yellow

And my favorite for the back window,

Honk if you Hate Red Light Cameras!

This one makes anyone blowing their horn to urge someone to move look like they support the protest. Sometimes all the protesters join in with the horn blowing to attract more attention.

The beauty of it is once it has been set up it can happen anywhere at a moments notice (by tweet) and really get the city’s attention. I Love It, where do I sign up?

NOTE* I'm sure some people may have nasty things to say about this but keep in mind it is only people exercising their legal right to protest and there is nothing wrong with a legal protest.
Lisa

Clermont, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2013

My husband just recently received a warning citation for a red light camera while in the right turn lane at Highway 50 and Hancock Road. Now he came to a full stop and then turned right because per Florida law unless it is stated with a sign turning right on a red light is within the law. So is the city going to start putting up signage to support the supposedly unlawful turn. Red light tickets are not going to hold up in a court of law unless the city puts signage up stating there is no turn on red in the right turn lane. I plan to complain to the city about this unlawful citation.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Mount Dora Discussions

Search the Mount Dora Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) 9 min number 23 2,915
Jail (Jul '13) 12 hr Jipped 60
Lake County should give animal control to the s... 12 hr Jipped 16
Sheriff Borders wants $3 Million to buy off the... 12 hr Sheriffs Candidate 22
Let's get a new Sheriff 22 hr Sheriffs Candidate 76
The New Central Florida Expressway Authority Sat Fl Constitution 1
Lake schools considers shuttering struggling ch... Jul 8 and Moxley won 11
•••
•••
•••
Mount Dora Dating

more search filters

less search filters