Roseville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Best way to turn this nice city into a crime ridden city with burned out homes is to cut the fire and police.

A fireman told me when the city he works for goes to public saftey he would retire. Reason for that is firemen do not want to be police. I asked the same question to a policeman he said the same thing only way that was different was policeman was used for fireman and fireman for policeman.

Both men retired the day after that was adopted in the city they worked in both now live in SCS.
Inefficient

Roseville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Fire departs show be county wide. There is no reason for each little city to have their own fire departments, fire chiefs, fire marshals, etc. etc. Fire response is time / distance dependent, not city line dependent.
Grosse Pointe Transition

Roseville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Harry wrote:
Best way to turn this nice city into a crime ridden city with burned out homes is to cut the fire and police.
A fireman told me when the city he works for goes to public saftey he would retire. Reason for that is firemen do not want to be police. I asked the same question to a policeman he said the same thing only way that was different was policeman was used for fireman and fireman for policeman.
Both men retired the day after that was adopted in the city they worked in both now live in SCS.
I know when most of the Grosse Pointes switched over to Public Safety they implemented it over time. Police were trained in firefighting, but firefighers stayed the same. Many Grosse Pointes switched over in the mid 80's, now most of them dont have any original firefighters left in their public safety departments. Harper Woods would have done it the same way if their Public Safety measure passed.
Not Here

Roseville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Inefficient wrote:
Fire departs show be county wide. There is no reason for each little city to have their own fire departments, fire chiefs, fire marshals, etc. etc. Fire response is time / distance dependent, not city line dependent.
For southern Macomb County I could not see that being beneficial cause each of the current stations cover about four square miles. To have affordable insurance rates, homes and businesses have to be within a certain distance of fire apparatus. I know it works well in southern Orange County, CA where the cities are newer and smaller in size.
Facts

Roseville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

This is why they have 3 Fire stations

http://www.atg.wa.gov/AGOOpinions/opinion.asp...
Facts

Roseville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Thanks for the symbols on my last post. Does have something you didnt want us to know? The city will do things for the residence when it benefits the city but thats where the draw the line.
Your Welcome

Fraser, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Facts wrote:
Thanks for the symbols on my last post. Does have something you didnt want us to know? The city will do things for the residence when it benefits the city but thats where the draw the line.
I just don't see how an opinion from Washington State is relevant to SCS having 3 stations.
Inefficient

Roseville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Not Here wrote:
<quoted text>
For southern Macomb County I could not see that being beneficial cause each of the current stations cover about four square miles. To have affordable insurance rates, homes and businesses have to be within a certain distance of fire apparatus. I know it works well in southern Orange County, CA where the cities are newer and smaller in size.
It is not just distant, it is travel time, impediments (RR tracks etc.) For example, SCS is very long and narrow, so a station situated for optimal coverage in one direction would have surplus coverage in the other. In Ferndale, they had to have a station on the other side of the RR track for coverage, even though that station could have covered 3 times the areas. Furthermore, county wide fire departments could get the benefits of scale in terms of ordering new equipment and supplies. We do not need fir chiefs for every little city, etc.
Facts

Roseville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Your Welcome wrote:
<quoted text>
I just don't see how an opinion from Washington State is relevant to SCS having 3 stations.
It all costs money.
Facts

Roseville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

18 Users are viewing this forum @ 10:15 pm
Inefficient

Roseville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

By the way, the protection standard is 5 road miles from a fire station.
Partly Agree

Roseville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Inefficient wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not just distant, it is travel time, impediments (RR tracks etc.) For example, SCS is very long and narrow, so a station situated for optimal coverage in one direction would have surplus coverage in the other. In Ferndale, they had to have a station on the other side of the RR track for coverage, even though that station could have covered 3 times the areas. Furthermore, county wide fire departments could get the benefits of scale in terms of ordering new equipment and supplies. We do not need fir chiefs for every little city, etc.
Per capita run volumes are a lot higher in SCS because of aging population and more condensed housing than northern Macomb County. The startup costs would be high if say Macomb County Fire Authority had to build new stations in strategic locations. In SCS I think it's feasible to have a Chief, but the Grosse Pointes definetly not. Even in these big cities like Sterling Heights or Warren they may have 1 Chief, but they have Deputy Chiefs as well which SCS does not. When it comes to ordering new equipment and supplies SCS can use the bid consortium like they did at the last meeting for their new rescue truck.
deu

Roseville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Inefficient wrote:
If this is true the city can use any one of the Fire stations because the one around 9 mile fits the range & the one at 13 mile does to and the one on Harper has 3 miles north or south.
Fact

Roseville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Inefficient wrote:
http://www.isomitigation.com/ppc/2000/ppc2007...

Distribution of companies ISO credits the percentage of the community within specified response distances of pumpers (1-1/2 miles) and ladder/service apparatus (2-1/2 miles).
Inefficient

Roseville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Partly Agree wrote:
<quoted text>
Per capita run volumes are a lot higher in SCS because of aging population and more condensed housing than northern Macomb County. The startup costs would be high if say Macomb County Fire Authority had to build new stations in strategic locations. In SCS I think it's feasible to have a Chief, but the Grosse Pointes definetly not. Even in these big cities like Sterling Heights or Warren they may have 1 Chief, but they have Deputy Chiefs as well which SCS does not. When it comes to ordering new equipment and supplies SCS can use the bid consortium like they did at the last meeting for their new rescue truck.
It is more than likely many existing stations could be used and consolidated as age. It is not just using a consortium, it things like having the same equipment and standards across a wider area, something individual cities cannot do, as well as issues like staffing, that would be far easier at a larger scale. Fire safety, unlike police protection has little if anything to do with municipal borders.
deu

Roseville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Distribution of companies ISO credits the percentage of the community within specified response distances of pumpers (1-1/2 miles) and ladder/service apparatus (2-1/2 miles).
4%? Cmon you can do better than that!
Really

Roseville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Where is your source for the 5 mile protection standard?
Facts

Roseville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

10 Users are viewing this forum @ 11:45 pm
Inefficient

Roseville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Even at the "best rate" the SCS stations are over capacity. A three mile radius covers a good chuck of Eastpoint / Roseville, which just proves my point
SCS is doomed

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

SCS should just allow itself to be annexed by Detroit. It's becoming so much like Detroit anyway, with so many Detroiters moving in and engaging in Detroit-style activity.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Mount Clemens Discussions

Search the Mount Clemens Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Three GOP candidates battle to face incumbent H... 5 hr Votes Count 2
Mich. lawsuit claims cops coldly executed dog 7 hr Were they good dogs too 16
Sterling Heights mayor's son to be charged in f... (Aug '09) 19 hr btk 4
Cold Case from 1973 (May '12) 19 hr Patience 47
Ted Whaby is responsible for what accomplishme... 23 hr Learning 223
Detroit not alone in shutting off water for unp... Sun reality is a crutch 3
I am doing research about the Rat Problem in St... (Oct '09) Sun Hello Pauls chumps 312
•••
•••
•••
•••

Mount Clemens Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Mount Clemens People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••