First Prev
of 2
Next Last
right

Santa Clara, CA

#21 Jun 27, 2010
speakup2 wrote:
"the whole world is not in this one "tiny place" "
And yet you built your entire Hopes and Dreams upon it..Look what it got you..Upset and Angry...The world is the same where ever you go..You find what it is that you are looking for..Look for the Bad and you will find it..Look for the Good and you will find it. Yes it would be Lovely if there Was such a place as Mayberry..But it is only Make Believe..
exactly right! Well said
BMG

Lowgap, NC

#22 Jun 27, 2010
I'm glad someone finally came out and told the truth about Mount Airy. I have lived here for about 19 years and I agree that it is a hard place to get used to. There are many close-minded, bigoted, and ignorant people here. My advice to Aziza is to RUN away from this place as fast as you can. I give the same advice to all who ask about moving to the area. When I moved to the area 19 years ago, there were more jobs here. I didn't even make the connection between Andy Griffith and Mount Airy. I like the area around Cana and really liked the idea of living in a small town similiar to the one I grew up in. Unfortunately, the area did not match my expectations. I will never spend the rest of my life in this area. I have stayed 19 years too long.
speakup2

Lowgap, NC

#23 Jun 27, 2010
BMG wrote:
I'm glad someone finally came out and told the truth about Mount Airy. I have lived here for about 19 years and I agree that it is a hard place to get used to. There are many close-minded, bigoted, and ignorant people here. My advice to Aziza is to RUN away from this place as fast as you can. I give the same advice to all who ask about moving to the area. When I moved to the area 19 years ago, there were more jobs here. I didn't even make the connection between Andy Griffith and Mount Airy. I like the area around Cana and really liked the idea of living in a small town similiar to the one I grew up in. Unfortunately, the area did not match my expectations. I will never spend the rest of my life in this area. I have stayed 19 years too long.
Maybe you two should meet up...I have always heard that Misery loves Company..(^_^)
So Funny

Kents Store, VA

#24 Jun 28, 2010
I couldn't stop laughing through the whole blog! I live just up the mountain from Mount Airy, and I believe this same blog could've been written about my small town. Whether or not a person agrees with everything she wrote, you have to admit that at least SOME of it was right on!

We don't like to try new things here in "Podunk-ville" either and it is sad, because I believe this area has so much potential. It's the same people each time who prevent things from changing in this town. I believe it is b/c they enjoy being "top dawg" and owning most of the county. They don't want anyone new coming in with their "newfangled" ideas and taking away their "position" that they inherited from daddy.
speakup2

Lowgap, NC

#25 Jun 28, 2010
So Funny wrote:
I couldn't stop laughing through the whole blog! I live just up the mountain from Mount Airy, and I believe this same blog could've been written about my small town. Whether or not a person agrees with everything she wrote, you have to admit that at least SOME of it was right on!
We don't like to try new things here in "Podunk-ville" either and it is sad, because I believe this area has so much potential. It's the same people each time who prevent things from changing in this town. I believe it is b/c they enjoy being "top dawg" and owning most of the county. They don't want anyone new coming in with their "newfangled" ideas and taking away their "position" that they inherited from daddy.
Yes, it made me laugh as well because so much of it was true...It is just the someone owing somebody part that I didn't really care for..But most of the rest IS true..(^_^)
SteelerProud1

Lima, OH

#26 Jul 4, 2010
Rik wrote:
jezz what a looser. Man I have lived in Mt.Airy most my life and you don't know mt.Airy or its people.You have to hate something since you cant hate yourself. I am sure any city will be lucky to have you(just Kidding)
Dont let the door hit you on your way out of town buddy.
Rik, i would love to visit Mt, Airy. Is it really a Mayberry look alike ? And did Thelma Lou live there ? Iam just curious. Be proud of your town man.
teresa

Dunn, NC

#27 Aug 2, 2010
if you've been wanting to get out of our little God forsaken town so bad, instead of sitting back and bashing the town and everybody in it, and wanting people to feel sympathy for you and your mother ,why haven't you already hitched a ride out of here? you said you had talked to people who had gone back to new york, why the hell didn't you go with them, they could have tied you down to the top of their vehicle, or to the bumper,oh, maybe they don't want you in new york either, or maybe you're just the kind of people who are never satisfied anywhere you go oh well, happy trails to you.
teresa

Dunn, NC

#28 Aug 2, 2010
are you gone yet?
Michael Hull

Farmville, NC

#29 Dec 5, 2010
you fell for the myth...

aren't you the pushover!!!
lmfao too...
big dog

Gainesville, GA

#30 Dec 10, 2010
I moved here 3 years ago and have found the people very nice and polite.. instead of complaining about living here why not take the first bus out of town. Im sure New York would love to have you back
Betty Sue Haynes

Charlottesville, VA

#31 Oct 20, 2011
I don't really know what you say about your blog. I have an open mind, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. So...here is mine.
I am not from Mt.Airy but I grew up in a tiny little one horse town called Lowgap. I have a lot of friends in Mt.Airy and a good part of my life has been spent there. It takes all kinds of people to make up this world. I think people in Mt.Airy are laid back and for the most part down to earth.
I have done extensive travel all up and down the east coast all the way up to CT for the past 3 years. I can say once you get to Washington DC and on up, it seems the further north you get the more people turn in to assholes. The northerners are always in a hurry to get somewhere and they don't care who they have to run over to get there. Try driving through DC in rush hour, or better yet go through the Bronx in NY or NYC. You will see what I mean. I have seen the definition of rude more than once. Now don't get me wrong most the of the people I gave delt with in the northern states have been very nice to me but, others have been down right assholes. They think the world owes them something.
So, with that being said, after a couple trips up north I am sure most people will share my opinion. Mt.Airy is a good place to call home. I sure appreciate the laid back way of life more so than I ever have now that see what life is like in the north.
Betty Sue Haynes

Charlottesville, VA

#32 Oct 20, 2011
Your comment about people's reactions of 911. Well that is total bull crap. All the people that I knew were heart broken that people lost their lives that way. To this day it still breaks mine.
hillbilly

Charlottesville, VA

#33 Oct 22, 2011
all I can say is yankees go the EFF hone
katie

Kent, OH

#34 Dec 24, 2011
okay i would love to share what happened to my mother and i when we got stuck in this little town! we were coming back from vacation our car brok down! so a nice police officer came and got us and brought to the town of mount airy.ONE OF THE SCARIEST TOWNS IVE EVER BEEN TO! every where the women stared and you can tell they were just jealous, like we were going to try and snatch their husbands.uh no thanks. since our car was broken down we had to walk everywhere, the people would honk and scream out of their cars at us, trying to get us to go for a "joy ride"? I was 15 and my mom is like 31! the men were just awful they all just staired and hit on us, and we both felt very uncomfortable. The people in the town went very nice, othere than the men:/ ewah.... oh and we were walking down main street and these young girls about my age were screaming "whores" out the window at us? anyways very very scary town i dont recommend people to visit there, because it was one of the scariest time of my life its been a year since and i still feel violated:/... the waiter had said not to worry they just don't see outsiders much and they rant use to seeing pretty faces he called it the redneck rebellion lmao...:) he was normal but everyone else i couldn't say the same. have fun if your going down there its scary
An observer

Fayetteville, NC

#35 Sep 3, 2012
This is a poor town and there are some who try to live beyond their means so they will feel like they can impress someone. It is sad. You can have class and still be poor. You can have class by helping one another succeed. It is sad how people need to feel they should be other than who they are by living beyond their means.
enlightened

Nevada, MO

#36 Mar 8, 2013
Aziza Al-Tawil wrote:
Hi Everyone!
Just wrote an expose' about Mount Airy and want to share it with you. I'm finally getting outta here after 10 years! Yippee!
The media has been alerted. Some in town are actually glad someone
had the nerve to speak up about this nutty town.(Poor "Thelma Lou" was mugged-and now this! The scandal!)
My blog:
http://azizaal-tawil.blogspot.com/2010/05/may...
If the link doesn't work just google the words: Mayberry Assholes Your Shit Has Hit The Fan
Enjoy!
I can't believe that you breezed into THEIR town and tried to change them into you and they rejected the idea! How awful for you that no one realized that they were hicks and you were so cultured, refined, related to famous people and much smarter then they were. Maybe the next town you move into and try to change will be more successful.
dean

Washington, DC

#37 Mar 17, 2013
katie wrote:
okay i would love to share what happened to my mother and i when we got stuck in this little town! we were coming back from vacation our car brok down! so a nice police officer came and got us and brought to the town of mount airy.ONE OF THE SCARIEST TOWNS IVE EVER BEEN TO! every where the women stared and you can tell they were just jealous, like we were going to try and snatch their husbands.uh no thanks. since our car was broken down we had to walk everywhere, the people would honk and scream out of their cars at us, trying to get us to go for a "joy ride"? I was 15 and my mom is like 31! the men were just awful they all just staired and hit on us, and we both felt very uncomfortable. The people in the town went very nice, othere than the men:/ ewah.... oh and we were walking down main street and these young girls about my age were screaming "whores" out the window at us? anyways very very scary town i dont recommend people to visit there, because it was one of the scariest time of my life its been a year since and i still feel violated:/... the waiter had said not to worry they just don't see outsiders much and they rant use to seeing pretty faces he called it the redneck rebellion lmao...:) he was normal but everyone else i couldn't say the same. have fun if your going down there its scary
I don't believe a word of your post! Unless y'all were dressed like prostitutes I can't fathom anyone ever saying anything to you. Tons of people walk the area around town...for miles....bus loads of visitors wander around on a daily basis. Lots of people here depend on tourists to survive....hundreds of thousands from all over the wold have been visiting mount airy for decades. But its easy to bash a place while hidden behind fake names....obviously MA is not a big city....so like every small town, things are slow to change. Which is why people like it. But its definitely no Mayberry!

“New poetry book coming soon”

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

#38 Jan 9, 2014
Aziza Al-Tawil wrote:
Hi Everyone!
Just wrote an expose' about Mount Airy and want to share it with you. I'm finally getting outta here after 10 years! Yippee!
The media has been alerted. Some in town are actually glad someone
had the nerve to speak up about this nutty town.(Poor "Thelma Lou" was mugged-and now this! The scandal!)
My blog:
http://azizaal-tawil.blogspot.com/2010/05/may...
If the link doesn't work just google the words: Mayberry Assholes Your Shit Has Hit The Fan
Enjoy!
Interested in reading more on the "Mayberry Mythos" and reality vs. fiction... either was, Andy Griffith created a powerful cultural phenomenon.
Mess

Mebane, NC

#39 Aug 12, 2014
I read your whole rant and it seems to me that you cannot take responsibility for anything in your life and want to blame an entire town. I've lived here my whole life besides the years I spent getting my college education and I am a very opened minded person. I tried to objectively look at your blog but for someone who says how happy they are, you sure do like to bitch. People in Mt Airy are not rude, we even wave to people we don't even know when we pass by each other in vehicles. Some of the stuff you wrote is absurd and downright untrue.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mount Airy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
111 Congress Has Many Communists Feb 5 blackyb 1
Add this to Soldier who saw how these Syrians t... Jan 30 blackyb 1
tomato nuts or (mater heads) Jan 25 Materzzz 2
mt. airy pain clinic Jan '17 kdb 1
Trump is a good man for the job Dec '16 What a Moron 2
Food Lion Fire Dec '16 Zone 1
Boring ass town Nov '16 Bored as fk 1

Mount Airy Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance