Moundsville wrestles with camped-out ...

Moundsville wrestles with camped-out gas workers

There are 15 comments on the Charleston Gazette story from Sep 14, 2012, titled Moundsville wrestles with camped-out gas workers. In it, Charleston Gazette reports that:

The city of Moundsville is wrestling with an unexpected spinoff of the gas-drilling boom -- a proliferation of campers and RVs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Charleston Gazette.

Wheeling, WV

#1 Sep 14, 2012
Don't people understand the revenue being brought into their town? Food sales, fuels sales, beer sales and cig. sales go up when the pipeliners come to town. Not to mention all the money being made by people renting us the RV spots. And I have heard people complain because the contractors aren't hiring locals. Well I got news for you, they did try hiring the locals and none of them can pass a drug test! They would come to work and work until the test results came in. It is not the contractors fault if they are trying to put the locals to work but they can't pass a drug test!

Morgantown, WV

#2 Sep 28, 2012
oh amy you forgot to mention how everything has sky rocketed since they moved in here rent ,electric, gas, food ,taxes cost has went out of the roof ,anything i miss or was that all, oh yes fortunely no-ones been killed for all their speeding around our streets yet .

Morgantown, WV

#3 Sep 28, 2012
by the way to set things straight i,m from moundsville wv not fairmont wv

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Oct 5, 2012
Well Robert it is not our fault that your shitty little stores have jacked prices up just because they think u pipelines can afford to pay more. And if the landlords of apartments weren't such assholes they wouldn't have jacked rent up just because we make a lot of money. All we are here for is work to support our families.

Bruceton Mills, WV

#5 Oct 6, 2012
have to agre with you there ,but it still making the ones who get a lot les than you pay higher than they are used to paying ,and besides the pipeliners are causing some undue problems in this town ,such as that one raping that girl and al the drugs being brought in ,what you say about that ,

Bridgeport, WV

#6 Oct 7, 2012
i have to correct myself on that one not all the pipeliners are causing the trouble here,but trouble has increased,so i will leave it at that you decide, no big company can controll what their employs do

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Oct 7, 2012
For the ones making less well go take the test like we did and become a pipeliner and make more. It's not our fault the profession you have chosen doesn't make a lot. And haven't heard anything about the rape and for drugs? I'm originally from this area and drugs were a HUGE problem before pipeliners came here.
Podunk Pete

Parkersburg, WV

#8 Jan 2, 2013
"they did try hiring the locals and none of them can pass a drug test! They would come to work and work until the test results came in." You mean they presented themselves well enough to get hired, worked well enough to continue to be employed, showed no evidence or even suspicion of current drug-use (let alone, drug-use on the JOB)... And, even so, were then fired when their employer received a lab result that showed their fine, hard-working employee had used drugs at some point up to THREE MONTHS (hair test) prior to their PRE-EMPLOYMENT drug test? America, here's your sign.

Parkersburg, WV

#9 Jan 2, 2013
I once worked for a woman that was older than the mountains and nearly as wise. Being young, broke, and not knowing how these things worked, I asked her if she required a drug test, would she pay for it and deduct the cost from my first paycheck or would I have to pay for the test up front. She looked at me like I was an idiot and replied, "Boy, you come to work on time, do your job as well as you can, and go home at quitting time. Don't steal anything, don't break anything. You manage all that, I don't care what you do on your own time. If you don't, I'll fire you quicker than you can spit and it won't matter if you're hopped up on those goofballs or not. Now don't go and worry me by asking any more stupid questions."
Hagatha May

Orlando, FL

#10 Feb 12, 2013
Possums leave the pipeliners alone. They are proving a service to Moundsville and spending much needed revenue there. Yes It's true not many locals have been hired. You cannot pass the drug test or even read and write well enough to complete an application. It's not the pipeliners fault that you are all inbred hillbillies and incapable of dealing with the basics of life,you know like getting a job. All you inbred hillbillies care about is relief checks, food stamps,slot machines and cheating on your spouces. At night the beer joints are full of hillbillies gambling and drinking and complaining about how the government has screwed them and let them down. Grop up Possums and take responsibility for yourselves. TaTa for now Lady of Quality

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Aug 7, 2013
Guess what...its your local town's men trying to rape us out of do you think we feel..we have to keep 2 homes...and I pay more per month here for camper lot then I do my mortgage.
Hagatha May

Orlando, FL

#12 Aug 10, 2013
pipeliner wrote:
Guess what...its your local town's men trying to rape us out of do you think we feel..we have to keep 2 homes...and I pay more per month here for camper lot then I do my mortgage.
Possum, you are so right. What a slap in the face to have to pay so much to live around brain dead hillbillies.Most in Moundsville are disgusting trolls.Two of them came to Florida to see Disney World. Story goes that the sign on the freeway said Disney World Left, the hillbillies started crying and turned around and went back to WV. TaTa for now Lady of Quality
Union man

Vandergrift, PA

#13 Oct 5, 2013
All I gotta say is I have been here 2 months and hell the hookers walking the streets are dressing a lot better so we must be doing something right!

Shinnston, WV

#14 Jan 13, 2014
Everyone here seems to forget something. It matters not what pipe liners make in pay. it matters what the locals make in pay. WV is a low scale paying state. An it matters not your education or what job field you are in. Prices around here have gone up. I understand a dollar is a dollar. But YOU the pipe liners come in here and agree to pay the 100 to 150 to 500 increased prices on an apartment or RV location. When you leave this area for good. Once all is done an finished. Local business are not going to lower these increases so the locals can afford to live with out worry. I know. I am from a small town in WV. I witness home owners booting a family of 2 -3-4 out of homes they had been renting for along time for no more than 250-375 a month. Just so they could rent to the pipeline employees for 500-900 or. That just isn't right. So how about this. Before agreeing to a price. Find out what it cost locals. Just ask. You know you do not have to agree to the increases. It will be most beneficial to all.

Greensburg, PA

#15 Nov 4, 2014
I have traveled all over the United States working and this place is the worst for jacking up prices. It is not done everywhere so that tells you the mentality of the people around here. It's always someone else's fault isn't it. Good try though but we're here to do a job and a job we will do and go to the next one then you can have all your housing back Jack. Haters are going to hate so don't be a hater and be jealous of what someone else has. Some of the liners are jerks but most of the workers from out of town are good people that just want to work. More than I can say for some of the people around here. Truth hurts sometimes

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moundsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create your own Forum 6 hr Faith 1,028
First time to Moundsville Sep 28 Lat Gray 1
Moundsville police is a joke Sep 28 Retired honest cop 3
News Murray cuts mean loss of $67.1M in wages Sep 20 WVbird 4
Glen Dale Music Thread (Oct '13) Sep 16 Musikologist 10
John wild Aug '15 Big Daddy 2
News Busack Fraud Case Sentencing Set... Aug '15 Wvmike 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Moundsville Mortgages