New Brighton seeks applicants for urb...

New Brighton seeks applicants for urban farming task force

There are 1 comment on the Roseville Review story from Jul 10, 2013, titled New Brighton seeks applicants for urban farming task force. In it, Roseville Review reports that:

The city of New Brighton wants input from residents on what the city sees as a hot button issue -- urban farming, or more specifically, the keeping of chickens and other farm birds on residential lots.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Roseville Review.

Courtney Morton

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Sep 13, 2013
The question of Urban Farming arose with one person’s incessant complaining that is now positioned to speak for the entire city eithrt dragging back to an illusion of prestige and power for the minority or validating and supporting the industriously of the majority.

There were 26 applicants for the Urban Farming Taskforce. The council selection was anything but thoughtful and fair as they summarily dismissed anyone who was too young, too educated, too firm in purpose or belief, too experienced, who had expressed too much of an opinion about a poorly handled problem, gardened too much or lived to close to the “ Forest Dale Issue”. The “Forest Dale Issue” a term that city staff and elected city representatives use to stigmatie, demean, humiliate and alienate my family publically.

Professionals and experts were dismissed because they had too much education or experience, while friends of the council were included because “I think they will be good”. This issue is clearly not about chickens or tomatoes, it is about “those people”. I am “those people” and I have found most of New Brighton are “those people”. We are hardworking, self-reliant, fair property owners prepared to defend our rights while a very small minority of our population believe that our neighborhoods are too elite and too pristine to allow for diversity and tolerance.

In fact, the council had quite a difficult time trying exclude “those people” because almost all the applicants were “those people” attempting to ferret out the goal of an an ill conceived idea based on intolerance.

Despite it’s foundations in prejudice and ignorance, this taskforce may just be the key to a progressive and innovation future. We need to progress beyond closed-minded elitism, willful ignorance, unethical and a backward concept of a forward moving city. We need a strong, fair and thoughtful taskforce. More than that, we need new city council members. Three council seats are up for reelection this year. It is time for them to move on and it is time for New Brighton to move forward. Brian Strub and Mary Podein Kunesh are the progressive leadership we need.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mounds View Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Abandoned house off main st near crescent pond ... May 21 Awt155 1
When is Blaine Johnsville Garage Sales??? (Apr '08) May 6 Ihhh 16
News Minnesota State Patrol honors 2014 lifesavers, ... May 5 Fear ISIS 2
Dollar general May 3 Love me or hate me 1
News Goodell: NFL will contribute toward Vikings sta... (May '11) Mar '15 Washco 138
News Medical report: Fridley man who died after bein... (Apr '08) Mar '15 nathan Lemmer 199
News Man charged with five felonies (Oct '07) Feb '15 Blue Collar 69
More from around the web

Mounds View People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]