Moss Point names new police chief

Jun 8, 2008 Full story: The Clarion-Ledger 72

Moss Point has appointed a 20-year member of the Pascagoula Police Department as its police chief.

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
excuse me

United States

#62 Nov 3, 2008
hot pockets wrote:
Im not saying the moss point cops are "so great" Im simply saying that they don't get any credit for the good they do. why don't you explain what the cops should do to clean up the conoco. In case you haven't noticed, the entire city is dump. You can level the conoco, plant flowers there and pipe in disney music all day and the thugs that used to hang there will be somewhere else raping,robbing,and killing others. By the way....the supects are in custody. the problem is not the conoco, it is the people in moss point. It is physically impossible to make it a clean and safe city given the amount of criminals that live there verses the amount of police employed there. Everytime the police try to do some real proactive work.....BAM.....here come the racial, police brutality complaints. Whats the answer you ask? Move out of moss point and let the thugs have it. its an uphill battle.
they are only in custody because they turned themselves in
excuse me

United States

#63 Nov 3, 2008
hot pockets wrote:
<quoted text>
there are no loitering laws or ordinances to my knowledge. I think it would be an excellent idea. the only problem is, guestimate the amount of criminals and trouble makers in moss point. then way that number against the 50-60 or so officers that work there. Even if the entire department worked 24-7, it would not break the surface. the only way for the police to start ending the crime is to double in size. and that would only be a start. It would literally be waging war on the criminals there. The city would never allow for such a drastic increase in manpower though. The only real solution would be to augment it with sherrif's dept. personnel or for them to take it over. I can only speculate however, that since the sherriffs position is elected, he or she would not want the headache of policing moss point.
okay so lets throw in the towel
and give the city to the thugs
since theres no way the city can get control
i say some outside source needs to take over if they cant do the job because with the highest taxes on the coast we get zero for it
and that is bullshit
hot pockets

Boise, ID

#64 Nov 3, 2008
excuse me wrote:
<quoted text>
okay so lets throw in the towel
and give the city to the thugs
since theres no way the city can get control
i say some outside source needs to take over if they cant do the job because with the highest taxes on the coast we get zero for it
and that is bullshit
i agree. i think the answer would be a takeover by the sherrif's office, or at least them augmenting the police functions there. I got a bit sarcastic earlier so i apologize. something should be done indeed.

EXCUSE ME: sorry they turned themselves in....wish they could have caught them better for you. does it really matter?
excuse me

United States

#65 Nov 3, 2008
hot pockets wrote:
<quoted text>
i agree. i think the answer would be a takeover by the sherrif's office, or at least them augmenting the police functions there. I got a bit sarcastic earlier so i apologize. something should be done indeed.
EXCUSE ME: sorry they turned themselves in....wish they could have caught them better for you. does it really matter?
well i feel like if they would not have turned themselves in they would have never been caught
i was sarcastic too
but i am very disgusted with moss point and all the excuses made for them
and it really goes back to the whole city government
i just dont understand how they continue to get away with it
ive lived in other places and i can honestly say that there are many people in leadership positions in moss point that DO NOT do their jobs and that is why moss point is the crappiest place to live on the coast
do you realize how many times your tax dollars have come up missing at city hall?
its a damn shame because astetically moss point is a beautiful place but its like a flower in a sess pool
hot pockets

Boise, ID

#66 Nov 3, 2008
i agree as well. who knows if they would have been caught. I suspect that they would have. and who knows if the cops were on to them already or not? nobody really knows. all we really know is....it does indeed suck there. Im disgusted as well.
Common Sense

Bethpage, NY

#67 Nov 7, 2008
Like I said I formed my opinion of the Chief my PERSONAL OPINION which the last time I checked I was entitled too! If you had a wonderful experience with the Moss Point police station and the Chief speak about it scream it to the roof tops. I am going to speak about my experience and my experience only so stop commenting on something you know absolutely nothing about and speak about your own experiences it would make you look a lot wiser. Furthermore this will be the last comment I will make to you since I am gossiping awfully funny you have posted more comments than anyone else so maybe you need to take your own advice Moss Point Hater!
Moss Point Haters wrote:
If you know about the "brown bag" and that the city government is lacking, why do you keep putting them in office? Better yet, help them to get better salary for the police department so that they can attract more professional & well trained officers. As for the crime, no one said anything when the LA man was killed in Jackson County a couple of weeks ago. Just be fair and know that crime happens all over Jackson county & Harrison County as well. As far as patrol, the officers are patroling the high crime areas more but can they be everywhere 24/7 and to Ms Common Sense, Chief Smallman probably listened, you just didn't like what she had to say. I've also made a complaint with her & yes I was angry & rude when I first went in but after I vented realized that I was part of my problem. According to her she welcomes complaints and would like more community policing, so we need to help by being a part of the solution, not the gossip column. If she accepts the help we will have done our part, if not, so much for help & community policing.
FYI

Meridian, ID

#68 Nov 15, 2008
excuse me wrote:
<quoted text>
they are only in custody because they turned themselves in
Excuse me,please go back and read. The little bad azzes DID NOT turn themselves in, they were captured by the police dept. This just goes to show that Moss Point will never get credit for the GOOD that they do because of their past history. At least they solved the case, now its up to the Justice system to prosecute.
Moss Point

Meridian, ID

#69 Nov 15, 2008
hot pockets wrote:
Im not saying the moss point cops are "so great" Im simply saying that they don't get any credit for the good they do. why don't you explain what the cops should do to clean up the conoco. In case you haven't noticed, the entire city is dump. You can level the conoco, plant flowers there and pipe in disney music all day and the thugs that used to hang there will be somewhere else raping,robbing,and killing others. By the way....the supects are in custody. the problem is not the conoco, it is the people in moss point. It is physically impossible to make it a clean and safe city given the amount of criminals that live there verses the amount of police employed there. Everytime the police try to do some real proactive work.....BAM.....here come the racial, police brutality complaints. Whats the answer you ask? Move out of moss point and let the thugs have it. its an uphill battle.
You're right Hot Pockets, now that they finally have a Chief who is trying to clean up the city; Curly Clark and his thugs want to cry police brutality. Do they even know what "police brutality" is???? Glad they picked up those murderers and hope they continue to "enforce the law".
um helloooo

United States

#70 Nov 18, 2008
Moss Point wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right Hot Pockets, now that they finally have a Chief who is trying to clean up the city; Curly Clark and his thugs want to cry police brutality. Do they even know what "police brutality" is???? Glad they picked up those murderers and hope they continue to "enforce the law".
the murderers turned themselves in
the police didnt do jack as usual
Hellooo

Meridian, ID

#71 Nov 29, 2008
um helloooo wrote:
<quoted text>the murderers turned themselves in
the police didnt do jack as usual
Um helloooo. I got to take up for MPPD this time. They did their job, the little azz holes DID NOT turn themselves in. They were all picked up. Maybe we should stop being so harsh and at least give them credit where credit is due. Looks like they are starting to do the job they should of been doing all along.
Bob

Sioux City, IA

#72 Nov 29, 2008
Police Cheif Smallwood wrote:
I have had a horrible experience with the new police cheif she talks instead of lisening. Who do you go to for help when nobody wants to help or listen; she is rude and disrespectful loosing cheif Drakeford was one of the worse things that could have happened to the police department and the city of Moss Point. With this new police cheif nothing good is going to come to this community she isn't interested in lisening to the people to better the police department she say's and I quote "I refuse to continue to argue with you and listen to you belittle my police department and I am about to hang this phone up" if you do not listen to the critisim of the community how can you change for the better? I feel from my personal experience she is very unprofessional and not concerned with helping people in the community. Moss Point really needs some help.
I could care less. I don't live in the city limits for a reason. I stay out of local politics as it doesn't really matter in the long run.

Chances are she won't be at the job long.
concern citizen

Ocean Springs, MS

#73 Nov 2, 2010
Well i don't live in Moss Point now, but i use to live in Pascagoula when Shelia Smallmen was a detective. She did nothing to help find out who robbed my apartment while living in Pascagoula. She appeared to be very unconcerned and as a matter of fact, had the nerve to say my family had something to do with it.I mean i wasn't impressed with her than and i'm not impressed with her now. I have never receive much Justice when dealing with the government agencies here, but i know what to do now, but i will keep that to myself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moss Point Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Caught on tape: Sheriff says auditor's probe 'f... 7 hr Frank Leach 3
Do you approve of Steven Palazzo as Representat... (May '12) Sep 19 twig 40
Small employee raises included in Ocean Springs... Sep 15 gulf 5
Columbus charter school tells state board it wi... Sep 14 Kelly 1
Representative asks Moss Point schools to join ... Sep 14 Kelly 1
Slidell Police detective passes away after Sund... Sep 14 Kelly 1
Recently chosen Moss Point police chief, Calvin... Sep 14 Kelly 1
•••
•••
Moss Point Dating