Law enforcement officials in South Mi...

Law enforcement officials in South Mississippi deal with mental-illness calls

There are 4 comments on the Sunherald.com story from Jul 14, 2013, titled Law enforcement officials in South Mississippi deal with mental-illness calls. In it, Sunherald.com reports that:

When a Moss Point man was involved in an assault and taken to the city jail, staff there suspected he had a mental-health issue.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sunherald.com.

Gulf

Gautier, MS

#1 Jul 19, 2013
Well Reagan gutted the nation's mental health budgets in order to ramp up defense & "intelligence" & "law enforcement" budgets in the 80s. There's only so much money in the federal budget & when you hike spending in one place without raising taxes you cut in others to pay for it.

As for mental illness itself....I read the other day that Americans consume between 80 & 90% of all the psychiatric meds in the country. I think the number was its a 14 billion dollar business for big pharma. Considering how they say that anti-depressants sometimes have suicide as a side effect -- if the patients are suffering the same thing the pills are supposed to heal maybe we should cut back on the medication amounts. Americans just love their pills & hate the concept of therapy.

Crime is actually down to 20 year lows. What they ought to do is defund the prisons & the military spending & the bloated federal law enforcement budget & use that money to increase mental health spending.

But will that happen? Naw, what we have now will consider until the dollar collapses in the next "2008 event" whenever that happens in the coming decade or 2.
Gulf

Gautier, MS

#2 Jul 19, 2013
edit -- I mean in the above sentence Americans consume between 80 & 90% of the psych meds on the planet.

Meaning -- we're a nation of pills & over-prescribe.

That's a public health issue but yea, nowadays nobody cares.
Dr Weed Puffer

Tampa, FL

#3 Nov 25, 2013
HOW CAN ANY SOUTH MISSISSIPPI LAW ENFORCEMENT DEAL WITH THE MENTALLY ILL WHEN MOST ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT AROUND HERE ARE MENTALLY ILL THEMSELVES. I MEAN PEOPLE, TELL ME HOW IT IS THAT WE STILL HAVE A JACKSON CO. SHERIFF THAT OPENLY TOLD A DEPUTY THAT "YOU MIGHT SOON BE PREACHING MY FUNERAL, THEY'RE TRYING TO PUT ME IN JAIL, AND I JUST CANT GO TO JAIL" OPENLY SUICIDAL OVER THE 31 COUNT FELONY INDICTMENT AGAINST HIM!(WHICH IS REASON ENOUGH THAT THIS IDIOT SHOULDNT BE AN ELECTED OFFICIAL.. MUCH LESS A SHERIFF) LAW ENFORCEMENT ON THE COAST IS A JOKE!
Gulf

Moss Point, MS

#4 Nov 26, 2013
Dr Weed Puffer wrote:
HOW CAN ANY SOUTH MISSISSIPPI LAW ENFORCEMENT DEAL WITH THE MENTALLY ILL WHEN MOST ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT AROUND HERE ARE MENTALLY ILL THEMSELVES. I MEAN PEOPLE, TELL ME HOW IT IS THAT WE STILL HAVE A JACKSON CO. SHERIFF THAT OPENLY TOLD A DEPUTY THAT "YOU MIGHT SOON BE PREACHING MY FUNERAL, THEY'RE TRYING TO PUT ME IN JAIL, AND I JUST CANT GO TO JAIL" OPENLY SUICIDAL OVER THE 31 COUNT FELONY INDICTMENT AGAINST HIM!(WHICH IS REASON ENOUGH THAT THIS IDIOT SHOULDNT BE AN ELECTED OFFICIAL.. MUCH LESS A SHERIFF) LAW ENFORCEMENT ON THE COAST IS A JOKE!
I know people who have been violently arrested by the JCSO for the stupidest of sh**. What they do is -- they aggressively question you when they pull you over & if they don't like what you say they tell you to get out of the car & then they violently arrest you without cause. There's a trick where when they wench your arm(s) behind your back in a violent way that the muscles in your arms spasm & your joints have a natural reflex to twitch & when the arm spasms they tack on a resisting arrest charge.

I know somebody who that's happened to. Both times the charges were dropped in court by the judge, once when the chicken sh** deputy never showed up because he likes to power & authority of arresting people but doesn't like actually "enforcing the law" & going before the judge.

They like the adrenaline of bossing people around and tackling people but they don't like actually having to have their cases fall apart in front of a judge.

JCSO needs serious, serious reform. The ones they have in there now are redneck idiots who need to be removed. As for Byrd -- he's as dirty as the rest of them. They need to hurry up & remove his ass. Just like the rest of the Jackson Co. Supervisors & county leadership.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moss Point Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ocean Springs ranked among state's best places ... 28 min Waveland Resident 1
Jackson CO Justice Court Judge District 4 Sat Godzilla 2
Debate: Gay Marriage - Ocean Springs, MS (Aug '10) Fri Fed up 74
Jackson County School District Superintendent Fri JCSD Employee 16
Chevron Job Info (Mar '11) Jul 2 Chad 443
News Attorney Billy Guice gets on bad side of both S... Jun 30 Godzilla 1
News D'Iberville man arrested after stealing Jackson... Jun 27 DibervilleMom 1
More from around the web

Moss Point People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Moss Point Mortgages