Calera and Desal America say Moss Landing desal project would cost $40M to $60M

Full story: Santa Cruz Sentinel

Plans are under way for a desalination plant in Moss Landing that would use seawater from deep below the surface of Monterey Bay.
Comments
41 - 57 of 57 Comments Last updated Dec 5, 2010
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Knows Doug

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2010

Sarah L Palin wrote:
Regarding Doug Deitch, I do not know him....If, after consuming Doug's take on this issue, you see some area where Doug is wrong, I'm sure he would be sincerely happy to hear you...
Obviously she doesn't know Doug because he never hears what others say and they seldom get a chance to say it. Everyone knows there is a water problem, the question is about how to solve it. No one other that Doug seems to embrace taking 8,000 acres out of production.
Farm Guy

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2010

Judged:

Pajaro Valley berry land goes for $40k an acre, so 8000 acres would cost $320 million! Unless you'll let build houses on it. But if we can't farm and can't build, you should just buy it and turn it into a Wilder Ranch theme park so people can remember what it used to be like.
Jim

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2010

Judged:

Sarah L Palin wrote:
Regarding Doug Deitch, I do not know him, but I believe he has put significant time, research, and debating into this issue, and we all need people like that fighting for us.
The only people I can figure who wouldn't want to include a man like Doug, who is passionate, concerned, well-researched and knowledgeable on the subject, in a serious discussion of planning for this County, are people who like making a buck off of our water without regard to the fact that there aren't enough for the people AND the dessert berries they like to sell, and claim they create important jobs to produce.
Doug is giving you facts, research, links, everything. Giving it to you, freely, for you to educate yourself on if you care.
If, after consuming Doug's take on this issue, you see some area where Doug is wrong, I'm sure he would be sincerely happy to hear you and factor that into his equations, because he's seriously working for the good of all of the people here. He needs to have all his facts and numbers straight or they would eat him alive.
Sarah - you need to meet Doug. He is a complete idiot and a fool. Actually, don't waste your time.
Douglas Deitch

Hayward, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2010

Judged:

Sraight Stuff wrote:
Doug advocates in the links he provides "stopping ag well pumping on 8,000 acres." That's a third of the total ag land in the county and about half the Pajaro Valley ag land, the most valuable. None of Doug's materials tell us if he thinks the owners of these 8,000 acres deserve payment or what he will do with the loss of a third to half of our ag jobs or what the impact will be on the county budget when deprived of tax revenues. Just because we don't agree with Doug doesn't mean we haven't read his materials. And he still has not addressed the issues inherent in his solution.
You are not a very careful reader...or a very good speller, "Sraight Stuff"...
First, there are around 32,000 ag acres, so 8,000 acres would be 1/4...

Second, the PVWMA BMP (Basin Management Plan), not I, requires that ag well pumping be stopped on around (at least) 8000 acres on the ocean side of HiWay 1...

How pumping on these lands is stopped is the issue...

I suggest using around $200 million derived from regional shared sustainable use and revenues from our water from Santa Cruz through at least North Monterey County (PVWMA) to buy this land, like was done with Coast Dairies Ranch "to save the North Coast"...

instead of blowing hundreds of millions for multiple public and private desal plants which don't address the root problem and maintain the feudal tenant agbiz economy status quo...

is the best way to go...

fallowing is not necessary, at all...

just stop pumping these wells, mining and stealing our ground water,
like the SC Land Trust, for example?...

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_11365399...

and try to follow our laws a little bit, too, by not illegally hiring around 30,000 undocumented aliens for all the great job opportunities?
www.driscolls.com
www.dole.com
www.calgiant.com

are providing here for us?

Can't we just try living within our local and sustainable means, for a change
Douglas Deitch

Hayward, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2010

Sraight Stuff wrote:
Doug advocates in the links he provides "stopping ag well pumping on 8,000 acres." That's a third of the total ag land in the county and about half the Pajaro Valley ag land, the most valuable. None of Doug's materials tell us if he thinks the owners of these 8,000 acres deserve payment or what he will do with the loss of a third to half of our ag jobs or what the impact will be on the county budget when deprived of tax revenues. Just because we don't agree with Doug doesn't mean we haven't read his materials. And he still has not addressed the issues inherent in his solution.
You are not a very careful reader...or a very good speller, "Sraight Stuff"...
First, there are around 32,000 ag acres, so 8,000 acres would be 1/4...

Second, the PVWMA BMP (Basin Management Plan), not I, requires that ag well pumping be stopped on around (at least) 8000 acres on the ocean side of HiWay 1...

How pumping on these lands is stopped is the issue...

I suggest using around $200 million derived from regional shared sustainable use and revenues from our water from Santa Cruz through at least North Monterey County (PVWMA) to buy this land, like was done with Coast Dairies Ranch "to save the North Coast"...

instead of blowing hundreds of millions for multiple public and private desal plants which don't address the root problem and maintain the feudal tenant agbiz economy status quo...

is the best way to go...

fallowing is not necessary, at all...

just stop pumping these wells, mining and stealing our ground water,
like the SC Land Trust, for example?...

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_11365399...

and try to follow our laws a little bit, too, by not illegally hiring around 30,000 undocumented aliens for all the great job opportunities?
www.driscolls.com
www.dole.com
www.calgiant.com

are providing here for us?

Can't we just try living within our local and sustainable means, for a change.
Douglas Deitch

Hayward, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2010

Farm Guy wrote:
Pajaro Valley berry land goes for $40k an acre, so 8000 acres would cost $320 million! Unless you'll let build houses on it. But if we can't farm and can't build, you should just buy it and turn it into a Wilder Ranch theme park so people can remember what it used to be like.
BLM estimated land cost at around $29,000 around 10 years ago...but that was before the Pajaro/Aromas Red Sands aquifer had been permanently and irretrievably ruined.
www.douglasdeitch.com
Farm Guy

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2010

Judged:

Doug wrote: "fallowing is not necessary, at all...
just stop pumping these wells, mining and stealing our ground water."

Oh, we can grow anything we want that doesn't use water! Thanks for clearing that up.

And as long as you're slamming our ag industry and citing them as sources: where doesn't that 30,000 undocumented aliens come from?

Spend some time on ag land and you'll see lots and lots of good old American citizens getting paid to do work.
Notice to the Anonymous

Hayward, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2010

If you believe in what you are saying...own it.
Easy

Agoura Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2010

Judged:

Knows Doug wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously she doesn't know Doug because he never hears what others say and they seldom get a chance to say it. Everyone knows there is a water problem, the question is about how to solve it. No one other that Doug seems to embrace taking 8,000 acres out of production.
Raise the price of water. Double it.- Problem solved.
No desal needed.
People will start conserving on their own.
Clarification to Farm Guy

Hayward, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2010

Judged:

Farm Guy wrote:
Doug wrote: "fallowing is not necessary, at all...
just stop pumping these wells, mining and stealing our ground water."
Oh, we can grow anything we want that doesn't use water! Thanks for clearing that up.
And as long as you're slamming our ag industry and citing them as sources: where doesn't that 30,000 undocumented aliens come from?
Spend some time on ag land and you'll see lots and lots of good old American citizens getting paid to do work.
Farm Guy,
You are absolutely correct. For example, to name two among many local family/nontransnational-tenant farmers, people like Jim Cochran and Steve Bontadelli, former president of SC Farm Bureau in fact, are in my estimation good old American and Santa Cruz boys and citizens getting paid to do work. No argument there.
The undocumented worker figure that I used for just the Pajaro Valley used to be around 20,000...but that doesn't count the Salinas Valley which is many times bigger...
But that's not my real issue anyway. I don't care how many illegal farmworkers you want to exploit and break and blatantly disrepect our laws and, more importantly, our equitably and legally entitled workers here...
just do it water sustainably within our natural and renewal means here, and you will shut me up.

“I'm the One!”

Since: Apr 10

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2010

Sraight Stuff wrote:
Yeah, what's going to happen to those 7 land owners, while the thousands and thousands of us finally have a long-term water solution?
Just my opinion

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2010

Judged:

This is meaningless BS. Has anyone noticed that almost all Sentinel opinion pieces and anything else possibly controversial has been switched from Topix to some sort of Facebook connection where the poster has to identify themself. So bye bye any chance of insider exposure of corruption. Today's newspapers are too understaffed for investigative reporting, and now any chance of private exposure has been cut off. So sit back and enjoy reading Pravda, your state-provided press.
Comment

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2010

Sarah L Palin wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, what's going to happen to those 7 land owners, while the thousands and thousands of us finally have a long-term water solution?
It would only be a long-term water solution if the population stays the same.
Rocket J Squirrel

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2010

Just my opinion wrote:
This is meaningless BS. Has anyone noticed that almost all Sentinel opinion pieces and anything else possibly controversial has been switched from Topix to some sort of Facebook connection where the poster has to identify themself. So bye bye any chance of insider exposure of corruption. Today's newspapers are too understaffed for investigative reporting, and now any chance of private exposure has been cut off. So sit back and enjoy reading Pravda, your state-provided press.
It doesn't matter if one identifies themselves or not, courts will order that ir a company has the will. I found myself at the curb after exposing a Carlyle group subsidiary, IT Group in 2000. This bunch only needs time, they'll drop themselves at the curb for pick up sooner or later.
dan

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2010

NUTS

Since: May 08

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2010

I would like to know what happens with the waste from this desal plant. Does it get dumped nearby? Trucked to Nevada and dumped there? Used somehow?
Rocket J Squirrel

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2010

Judged:

Xanthippe wrote:
I would like to know what happens with the waste from this desal plant. Does it get dumped nearby? Trucked to Nevada and dumped there? Used somehow?
Depends on the technology used. If it is sea water R/O then the brine is sent back to sea. It can be processed and made in part into liquid chlorine packaged and sold or used in sanitation..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Moss Landing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 36 min Either Or 4,992
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 6 hr ferris wheel 200,602
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 10 hr marching banded 15,931
Review: First Security Services 12 hr Angello Campbell 4
FBI raid in Seaside linked to Christina William... (Sep '09) 23 hr meg828r 13
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Aug 18 Mudflys to 7,901
Remodel reality show highlights Monterey Bay life Aug 16 Ooooh Jeffie 2

Search the Moss Landing Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Moss Landing Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••