Green cement manufacturer to test pro...

Green cement manufacturer to test product in Santa Cruz

There are 45 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Dec 3, 2010, titled Green cement manufacturer to test product in Santa Cruz. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

The Los Gatos startup that pledged to turn greenhouse gas into cement has landed its first job: a sidewalk in the city of Santa Cruz.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Guv here to help

Soquel, CA

#2 Dec 3, 2010
"Calera representatives are hesitant, at this point, to disclose exactly how much carbon dioxide the process captures, or even if there is a net loss of the greenhouse gas"

And just how much does this "Green" concrete cost per yard??

Convenient omissions while porkulous dollars pay for the studies!!! Interesting when the whole theory of Global Warming is mostly from this kind of hot air!
Guv

United States

#3 Dec 3, 2010
Guv here to help wrote:
"Calera representatives are hesitant, at this point, to disclose exactly how much carbon dioxide the process captures, or even if there is a net loss of the greenhouse gas"
Convenient omissions while porkulous dollars pay for the studies!!! Interesting when the whole theory of Global Warming is mostly from this kind of hot air!
And cigarettes are good for your health!

Your turn ...
Just me

Palo Alto, CA

#4 Dec 3, 2010
This is a small step in the right direction. Do not listen to global warming deniers. History will look back on the deniers with disgust.
Ray in Santa Cruz

United States

#5 Dec 3, 2010
The problem with concrete is it takes years before you know if the mix was good. There was a time in Santa Cruz when foundations were made with beach sand. The concrete worked well for a long time, then finally crumbled as the salt in the sand took it's toll.

Whether this product will meet the test of time will take on third to one half of our lifetimes to find out.

I also find if very upsetting that the company will not, or cannot disclose how much carbon dioxide is removed in making the product. For an organization that has received millions of dollars for research to not be able to substantiate their "Green" claim is troubling to me.

Sort of like the solar power plants in the desert that need natural gas to keep them warm at night and supplement power on cloudy days, and use an incredible amount of cooling water, which does not exist in the desert, to cool the condensers. Very expensive to build, and not so green when you get down to the details.
Concrete Evidence

Los Angeles, CA

#6 Dec 3, 2010
Guv here to help wrote:
Yes, I figure Global Warming must be some kind of scam too, because the only other alternative would be that I'm just not smart enough to understand science.
yougotstogetdown

Santa Cruz, CA

#7 Dec 3, 2010
Just me wrote:
This is a small step in the right direction. Do not listen to global warming deniers. History will look back on the deniers with disgust.
Nice to know you keep your head firmly planted in the ground-just like the flatearther you are.CO2 is NOT a pollutant no matter how much it's shouted out and this is a perfect example of insanity at work.
Jim

Santa Cruz, CA

#8 Dec 3, 2010
What a scam.
disabuser

Courtland, CA

#9 Dec 3, 2010
it's lured tens of millions of dollars of investment to its Los Gatos research facilities, including $20 million of federal stimulus funds this summer, all going toward scaling up operations.
How much of the total investment is taxpayer's money? Did that buy a stake in the company? Since this was undoubtedly given under "green" auspices, why shouldn't we expect to know just how green it actually is?
Paveotronics

Santa Cruz, CA

#10 Dec 3, 2010
Guv wrote:
<quoted text>
And cigarettes are good for your health!
Your turn ...
I hope this is a joke, urban legend type of thing... If it is not then these people need to get a life, do some art, go sailing.

Pave the planet to prevent global warming?

I do not know what kind of drugs these folks have but I want some.
Paveotronics at The Mixer, ready for the next pour.

“Take that !”

Since: Feb 08

capitola CA.

#11 Dec 3, 2010
so this is why CEMEX left davenport huh.
Taxpayer green

San Jose, CA

#12 Dec 3, 2010
I'm also suspicious that no cost comparison between this 400 foot "green" walkway and one made with standard cement has been mentioned. Add that to the lack of info on just how green it really is, and this looks like another example of "green" meaning something subsidized with taxpayer green.

But no surprise the RTC is behind this, since it's also pushing to use millions in taxpayer green for the rail purchase.

“where it all comes together”

Since: Apr 08

Santa Cruz, California

#13 Dec 3, 2010
Everything is green in Santa Cruz except marijuana.

"The case for hemp building is simple it offers tremendous insulation, pest-resistance, strength and malleability."

"While the hemp material breathes, it doesn't let water in. It's also mildew-resistant, and it has a lifespan runs 600-700 years."

"Flavall and builders also note that the lime in the mixture is constantly taking in carbon, so the product is actually carbon-negative, not just carbon neutral."

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20101129...
Rocket J Squirrel

Soquel, CA

#14 Dec 3, 2010
If you planted trees where a side walk is placed, which serves as a better option to sequester CO2?
Google Calera fraud, two interesting articles.
Whatever

Campbell, CA

#15 Dec 3, 2010
I can't fathom why a business whose stated expertise is CO2 reduction would decline to state their product's effectiveness. It's as if they don't know or don't want to be caught engaging in fraud and if that is the best they can do as a purveyor of a so called green product then we're in a lot of trouble. Is there a reason this article neglects to state the cost of Calera's product vs generic cement or do they know off the bat that the public would object to paying a premium for a product that can't even back up the claims of it's manufacturer.
runs hot and cold

Union City, CA

#16 Dec 3, 2010
Concrete Evidence wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I figure Global Warming must be some kind of scam too, because the only other alternative would be that I'm just not smart enough to understand science.
I hate to correct you (chortle), but I think you meant "the only other EXPLANATION would be that I'm just not smart enough...". I heartily concur.
Moving right along, one of the "other possible explanationS" would be that you have no interest in researching and reading about "core samples" taken from ice and stone, and what they tell us about this recurring fluctuation in temperatures. Or the studies on the sun, or ....or....or.....
Sillycon Valley

Watsonville, CA

#17 Dec 3, 2010
I wonder what the mix ratio of greenwash "cement" to Portland cement is.

Ray makes some good points. But it's only a side walk. So when it fails it won't put anyone in much danger.

The bigger problem is that the material is likely not carbon neutral. That's why they don't want to tell you how much Co2 is sequestered. According to their patent and known information, they use a lot of sodium hydroxide chemical in the production of their cement. Sodium hydroxide manufacturing has a very high carbon footprint. On top of that, most sodium hydroxide is imported from China. So in addition to the dirty manufacturing process and money leaving our economy, there's also the burning of the heavy diesel oil the ships use to get the material to the U.S.

So at this point, the "cement" they are making is not cleaner and certainly not greener. Time will tell if it is as strong as Portland. What's the ratio? If they're only putting in a small amount, what's the difference? It's a big marketing scam for Calera and Santa Cruz. I hope everyone feels better now.
Huh

United States

#18 Dec 3, 2010
So, how much will we, the consumers, be required to pay per yard for this "green" BS!

Oh! I exhale carbon dioxide (CO2)! Will Obama, the Dimocrats and Al Gore replace my natural exhaling of CO2 with governmet mandated CO2 scrubbers worn around my neck costing me thousands of dollars?

What about the poor green plants that need CO2 to convert into oxygen which I and nearly all animals need to breath?
Huh

United States

#19 Dec 3, 2010
Just me wrote:
You're kidding right? Did you go to college and ever study science and the scientific procedure of continuous challenge and peer review? Probably not!
been there

Monterey, CA

#20 Dec 3, 2010
Excellent! Must have been at least 20 'Sit And Lie' S.F. escapees on the sidewalk by Subrosas making it impossible to get by yesterday.

What a nice cheery plan- I hope they widen that sidewalk at least 10 feet so people can get by.

Why they have sidewalk barrier after sidewalk barrier between the beach and downtown is beyond me.
smokestack

Houston, TX

#21 Dec 3, 2010
I think Calera's process works better with higher concentrations of flue gas pollutants such as a coal burning power plants that you find in other states. I don't think the exhaust gases they are pulling from the Gas Fired turbines/generators at Moss Landing Power Plant have high enough emmision levels for this process to work as best as it can. Perhaps this is why they are hesitant about releasing CO2 reduction info. Glad to see them getting a shot at a sidewalk side job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moss Landing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Oxycodone Aug 9 Pins n needles 2
Review: First Security Services (May '14) Jul 27 Bryan Obrien 40
Salinas Valley Food & Wine Festival Jul 23 howefortunate 1
Trump Pre Pardons Putin & Saudis Jul 22 Prez Newz Line 1
Poll Is 1460 AM Racist radio catering to TEABAGGERS? (Sep '10) Jul '17 Cabeza de Chavo6503 241
News Debate Over FISHERMANa S Wharf Continues Jun '17 Neal Peifer 1
News Father on drugs when he shot daughter, himself ... Jun '17 Bae 2

Moss Landing Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Moss Landing Mortgages