Sea change in the Monterey Bay

Sea change in the Monterey Bay

There are 20 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Jun 14, 2010, titled Sea change in the Monterey Bay. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Female sea lions rarely make the trip to the Monterey Bay from the warmer waters off of Southern California.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

Since: Feb 08

Santa Cruz

#1 Jun 14, 2010
Must be due to global warming.
H2O Stealer

Richmond, CA

#2 Jun 14, 2010
or all of the councils hot air
where am I

Pacifica, CA

#3 Jun 14, 2010
could it possibly have anything to do with the oil spill? While people scratch their heads trying to figure out how to stop the recalculated million gallon a day leak{not an appropriate word for such quantity], I'm wondering what they are going to fill the hole up with under the sea where all the oil was. Maybe they could fill it up with junk cars. The whole balance of the globe is out of wack. Too bad Henry Ford didn't take this into consideration before working on his confounded invention. We'd all be better of riding turtles. I hear they are out on the highways all over the country. Why? That's what I want to know. Animals have always been more tuned in than people. They better come up with a plan really quick before we all end up in a remake of "Journey to the Center of the Earth".
Harbor Mike

Santa Cruz, CA

#5 Jun 14, 2010
Cool, yet scary.
where am I

Pacifica, CA

#6 Jun 14, 2010
of course they have a health plan and a doctor. Watsonville General is probably tired of removing bullets and stitching up knife wounds for free.
just a thought

Pacifica, CA

#7 Jun 14, 2010
probably because of that disgusting oil leak.. need clean water to survive
Racists Stink

United States

#8 Jun 14, 2010
Carl Bendix wrote:
In fact it is so out of whack that the Senile decided to kill the story about every baby born in Watsonville being assigned a doctor and health plan before leaving the hospital. All this as O'Bama is trying to cut medicare payments to doctors by 21%. Hey, I've paid into medicare since its inception and now my benefits are being cut while illegals and anchors of illegals get a free ride for contributing nothing but their ever-increasing need. It's not fair!
Don't worry about your medicare, I'll pay for it! I get to work until I'm 71 just to support your huge baby-boomer population! Oh, and that so-called "anchor baby" you complain so much about, he/she will be supporting you too, so don't be afraid to give a friendly hello to him/her when you're at the grocery store. Lighten-up!
Perry White

Los Banos, CA

#9 Jun 14, 2010
Rare sea lion births being witnessed
Passive voice being used!
Bad headlines being written!
What The

Alviso, CA

#10 Jun 14, 2010
I get it that CSL pups are being born is strange places this year, but it's not quite true that they don't pup along this coast. There is a small CSL rookery on the island off of Ano Nuevo.

The CSL population has varied in size since it was protected, but has overall had a steady increase. Couldn't this be a natural population adjustment -- el Nino or not? As hard as it is to see dead or dying pups, it's part of nature. At some point, the MMC has to just let it go and leave the pups where they are.
What The

Alviso, CA

#11 Jun 14, 2010
Perry White wrote:
<quoted text>
Passive voice being used!
Bad headlines being written!
Yes, that's the good old Sentine. The "sea change" bit is almost as bad, since the point of the article is that this MIGHT signify a change.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#12 Jun 14, 2010
Durrrr... What about that article last week that said the water down at the Cowell's was a "comfortable sixty-something" .... OBVIOUSLY the waters are warming around here. Jebus; I've been here my whole d-a-m-n life and i know the water isn't USUALLY a COMFORTABLE anything ;-) hahahahaha Cold @$$ pacific ocean....
mumbofish

San Francisco, CA

#13 Jun 14, 2010
that oil spill is far away, but worried it may have some impact on the marine life. And, what happens when these under water cavities are emptied of the oil? Could there be a shift in the plates?
mumbofish

San Francisco, CA

#14 Jun 14, 2010
Racists Stink wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't worry about your medicare, I'll pay for it! I get to work until I'm 71 just to support your huge baby-boomer population! Oh, and that so-called "anchor baby" you complain so much about, he/she will be supporting you too, so don't be afraid to give a friendly hello to him/her when you're at the grocery store. Lighten-up!
Dude, it's pure and simple ignorance..He don't see or hear people from Latin America. He must live in an isolated place and it can't be from this part of California cause Latins are everywhere...

Since: Feb 08

Santa Cruz

#15 Jun 14, 2010
Racists Stink wrote:
<quoted text>
"Huge baby boomer population"? You mean the ones who have been paying their own way all these years? Medicare and social security wouldn't be in the shape they are in if the administration wouldn't have been giving it away to people who contribute little or nothing nor will ever do so. There is where the drain is. That also helps to explain the high taxes we are having to pay. Our gubmint has decided that those of us who work must support the many who don't care to. And there are babies to birth even though there is no hope of ever being able to self-support.

Since: Aug 08

Live Oak

#16 Jun 14, 2010
Racists Stink wrote:
<quoted text>
Here it is folks. It's chowderheads like this one that buy into the idea that babyboomers are responsible for the state of our social security and medicare systems for daring to live past the age of retirement. Meanwhile they are content to ignore the scads of users of these services who have contributed nothing and have continued to take from the time they were born to the time they finally OD or kill themselves on a tree off hwy 1.
slightly salty

Mill Valley, CA

#17 Jun 14, 2010
I don't understand why scientists are so "baffled". In fact they probably aren't. This year has been a very unusual one weatherwise and also it was an El Nino year. We had starving Sea Lion pups earlier in the year (heartbreaking), failed cormorant nests, sick or starving pelicans and now this unusual Sea Lion behavior. Usually in an El Nino year there is less upwelling in the Bay and therefore less food to go around. Maybe the pregnant Sea Lions were searching for food and went as far as they could until they had to give birth.
Skua

Santa Cruz, CA

#18 Jun 14, 2010
Once again, some idiot is trying to turn this into a debate about the "evils of liberal politics".

For crying out loud, this is a story about Sea Lions!! Get a freaking grip!!

Since: Mar 10

Santa Cruz, CA

#19 Jun 14, 2010
where am I wrote:
could it possibly have anything to do with the oil spill? While people scratch their heads trying to figure out how to stop the recalculated million gallon a day leak{not an appropriate word for such quantity], I'm wondering what they are going to fill the hole up with under the sea where all the oil was. Maybe they could fill it up with junk cars. The whole balance of the globe is out of wack. Too bad Henry Ford didn't take this into consideration before working on his confounded invention. We'd all be better of riding turtles. I hear they are out on the highways all over the country. Why? That's what I want to know. Animals have always been more tuned in than people. They better come up with a plan really quick before we all end up in a remake of "Journey to the Center of the Earth".
While I agree that the oil spill is sad and scary and the actions of BP are deplorable, the issues surrounding the sea lions have been happening since before the oil spill. I think that there will be plenty of sickness, death and desecration to valuable and much needed wetlands to lay in their hands. This is not one that we can blame on them. If you drive a car, use electricity, etc, then you can add yourself to the list (as I) of reasons why this is happening. We are all contributing to global warming. This is one case that we can not blame on some giant and heartless company (though it would be nice).
MrEdSC

Aptos, CA

#20 Jun 14, 2010
The last time I was at Ano Nuevo the ranger at the gift shop told me that they don't have any Ca Sea Lions born there, but that would be a logical place for a rookery. Heck, it used to be thick w/Stellar Sea Lions pupping & breeding during the summer months. It has been a long time since Stellar's were resident there, though.
And, with the Ca Sea Lion population expanding & booming (due to increasing sea temperatures, ie global warming) as it is I think it would be expected that there would be births on areas north of Pt Conception & San Miguel Island, which is the northern most rookery & home of the largest population, both during the breeding season & has a pretty sizable population in the winter.
It is sad that the Ca Sea lion female didn't pick a better location for birth. That pier was, as of about a month ago, being cleared by personnel from the Moss Landing Harbor on a regular basis. I guess they have a permit to roust the inhabitants, although when I saw it the sea lions always came back & those guys left at the end of the day.
I suspect that female who gave birth might have been a young animal as they usually like to be in a little less crowded situation when giving birth. That pier is pretty well packed w/barking bodies.
David

Redding, CA

#21 Jun 15, 2010
Not that this has any bearing on the story at all... but thats my cousins boat who witnessed it

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moss Landing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ap Photos: Highlights of the 2016 race for the ... May 26 Reverend Hightoan 2
Toilet Monitors Need Sensitivity Training May 26 pheeeeeewee 1
Fart Odor To Linger Many More Months May 22 Father Belltranetto 1
Review: Asian Filipino Market (Oct '12) May 20 amadeo urgonamiko 4
Homeless 4 Mayor, Council, Police, Services May 20 neoliberla fakes 1
News Adobe Animal Hospital, hit by recession, to clo... (Feb '10) May 17 ella seneres 92
News Redwood City approves highway undercrossing: Pa... May 14 Lives in Redwood ... 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Moss Landing Mortgages