Elkhorn Slough gets 'speed bump' sill...

Elkhorn Slough gets 'speed bump' sill to help slow erosion

There are 7 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Nov 13, 2010, titled Elkhorn Slough gets 'speed bump' sill to help slow erosion. In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

Construction started Friday on a project aimed to help save Moss Landing's drowning wetlands.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

Spectator

Watsonville, CA

#1 Nov 13, 2010
Idiocy!! The "Sill" needs to be located at the mouth of the Slough. Another example of the waste of taxpayer resources by bureaucrats trying to justify their existence. Sam Farr I voted yet again for you. Why did this not register on your radar screen as a good project IN THE WRONG LOCATION ?!?
yo mama

Monterey, CA

#2 Nov 13, 2010
What I want to know,regardless if it is in the wrong location. Is it going to be local Monterey, area construction people working on it? If not, why not?
The only stimulus money spent here that I am aware of is the new road in Ft. Ord. Did that put any local people to work here?
What does Local Carpenters 605 and the rest of the local union trades say? if no-one from this area are on these jobs. After all they are prevailing wage.

Oh yeah, I voted for Sam also...
Artist

Mclean, VA

#3 Nov 13, 2010
Why aren't they building a "Sill" under the bridge at Moss Landing
to protect the whole Estuary?

If I recall - the Estuary had no direct connection to the ocean prior to World War 2.
ex driver

Monterey, CA

#5 Nov 13, 2010
yo mama wrote:
What I want to know,regardless if it is in the wrong location. Is it going to be local Monterey, area construction people working on it? If not, why not?
The only stimulus money spent here that I am aware of is the new road in Ft. Ord. Did that put any local people to work here?
What does Local Carpenters 605 and the rest of the local union trades say? if no-one from this area are on these jobs. After all they are prevailing wage.
So you think Union work rules and Union Bosses will improve the project's dubious effectiveness? Who cares what Ralph Rubio and his thugs say - they have blackmailed the taxpayers Farr too many times.
Howard

Santa Cruz, CA

#6 Nov 14, 2010
The original screwing up of the slough happened many years ago when the Craps of Engineers dug out the channels for the Salinas and Pajaro rivers and built levees to get rid of the swamp between Castroville and Marina and those around Watsonville. Yes the most productive farmland in the nation. Most people don't know that boats the size of purse seiners used to go up the slough to Hudsons Landing because the Pajaro kept the channel flushed out. Look out thr DO-GOODERS are about to screw it up even more.
Slough watcher

Fremont, CA

#7 Nov 15, 2010
I've been watching Elkhorn Slough for some time now, and I've been amazed at the changes in the coverage of salt marsh. It has eroded at an amazing rate and important habitat and "ecological services" have been lost. The sill at Parson's Slough is a rational approach to solving what is a vexing problem. The historical changes, including the re-routing the Salinas River and the construction of Moss Landing Harbor, had the major effect on the slough. The sill is a cost-effective way to not only reduce the erosion, but to test the idea of a larger-scale 'fix' at the mouth of the slough. The team that is working on this project have brought to bear 6 years of study and consultation with outstanding scientific leaders and natural resource managers. The web site maintained by this group has posted all the research and decision-making processes and I recommend it to anyone who is interested or concerned.
Danielle

Louisville, KY

#8 Nov 17, 2010
yo mama wrote:
Dear Yo Mama,

I was the reporter for the story and felt that the neighborhood of the construction workers was outside the scope of the story. If it is any consolation, the backers of this project believe it will help local business thrive by slowing down (or reversing) the slough's decline.

Cheers,
Danielle

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moss Landing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News PVUSD ranks 15 among state's 97 districts that ... (Feb '08) 4 hr Daniel Gonzalez 17
Trump Cures Drought & High Body Odor Jun 22 Happytrumpshappy 1
News PVUSD takes stand against controversial pesticide (Oct '10) Jun 14 Daniel Gonzalez 24
News Four arrested for suspected gang activity in Wa... Jun 8 Real 1
News Women increasingly using meth to lose weight, p... (Feb '08) Jun 5 Bobby N 12
News Ap Photos: Highlights of the 2016 race for the ... Jun 5 TRUMP YES 3
News In rare sightings, venomous sea snakes seen on ... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Wilson 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Moss Landing Mortgages