Gang-motivated stabbing kills Santa Cruz woman's fiancee

Full story: Santa Cruz Sentinel

After proposing to her boyfriend of two years less than a week ago, Kaisha Otis-Taul is now making funeral plans for her fiancee who died in what police are calling a gang-motivated stabbing.

Comments (Page 5)

Showing posts 81 - 100 of101
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Future

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2009

joe bag of donuts wrote:
<quoted text>please explain; what contributions are you talking about? terrorism and fear for the tax paying citizens are hardly a contribution. good riddance is what I say!
The contributions you obviously do not know about, he was a fiance meaning someone loved him. To be loved is a value that he obviously earned from his fiance. He was working thus paying his own way in life, "a tax paying citizen" member of OUR community deserving of the same respect and liberties that you and I have. As for his clothing we have no idea what his financial circumstances were as to wether he could afford new clothes or were they hand me downs. All I am saying is he had a chance to be something more, his life experiences could have bettered someone. He had no weapons and was not the aggressor. We all have to see that gangs are OUR children, somewhere we failed them. Gangs have no racial requirements to join so all races are subject to this community problem. Also look into a history book and see all great people came from somewhere to better themselves and the future generations, not condemn and ridicule the dead.
Future

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2009

Don wrote:
<quoted text>
The gang life is the life that Vincente chose. He was a soldier and in uniform. The gangs are at war. Unfortunately for Vincente he was not prepared and lost this battle. His fiancee is collateral damage.
He was not the person who could get through to my child. He was actively involved in the evil that these gangs are. He was obviously happy and proud of his gang affiliation. If Kiasha can love again, maybe she will encourage her next beau to abandon the gang life.
Are you reading the same paper, he was not the aggressor and had no weapons. Yes he had an "N" on his belt so I guess you assume it was not a country western belt or his mothers initial all of which I know people do. As for getting through to a child you have no idea what he was capable of accomplishing. We did not walk with him in his life and as far as the police are concerned the actuality of gang involvement was possibly "Perceived" on Vincent the victims behalf. He was not the one chasing anyone else to attack and murder for a color. Open your eyes and see he did not cause this. A shirt is not a reason to kill, I wear red and I do not walk out of my home and think am I going to be shot for this. We have to find the solution not demean the loss of a life.
Future

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2009

SC Midtown wrote:
For all the thoughtful, intelligent people, don't get discouraged by all the racists, bigots and trolls. I, too, was shocked to see the bile being spewed in this forum.They're pretty much a daily occurrence and most often the same repeat posters.
That being said, there are a LOT of people in our community legitimately concerned with the recent spike in violent crime in our neighborhoods. This happened right in my area so you can believe I take a serious interest. Something needs to be done, I've been seeing more teenage kids running around staring people down than ever before. Unfortunately, more often than not they're Latino so you have to address this. I find that the violence is usually avoidable until you get two young toughs, neither of which are willing to back down and then the violence quickly ensues. In other words, they find each other.
And for the record, that kid who was killed was OBVIOUSLY a Norteņo. Not that he deserved to die, but if you and you're girl are draped in red with an "N" on your belt buckle you're not fooling anyone and you can't plead ignorance because I'm not buying it. They weren't sporting red all over because they're Nebraska Cornhusker fans!
Increased police presence, cooperation with ICE and federal authorities for violent criminals (re: modifying the sanctuary city status to exclude violent offenders, alike to what SF is doing), more education in elementary/junior high/high schools, stiffer penalties (re: enhancement for gang-related violent crimes), and expanded neighborhood watch could make a difference (collectively). On TV they constantly show a local phone number to be called to report gang activity but it's for Monterey County. We need the same thing for Santa Cruz County and it needs to get broadcast all over, on billboards, the radio, TV, etc.
The sad part is, most people in SC I know are completely ignorant to what's going on. Whenever I mention the up tick in violence they're completely caught off guard. Their needs to be an information campaign because most people would support the above-mentioned efforts if they knew what's really going on. Question is, do we have it in the budget due to the current fiscal crisis.
Thank you for bringing some intelligence and human compassion to this forum. I wish more people could see just a bit of what you typed. You are correct in the spread of prevention in the form of information and the reality of it.
Don

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2009

Future wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you reading the same paper, he was not the aggressor and had no weapons. Yes he had an "N" on his belt so I guess you assume it was not a country western belt or his mothers initial all of which I know people do. As for getting through to a child you have no idea what he was capable of accomplishing. We did not walk with him in his life and as far as the police are concerned the actuality of gang involvement was possibly "Perceived" on Vincent the victims behalf. He was not the one chasing anyone else to attack and murder for a color. Open your eyes and see he did not cause this. A shirt is not a reason to kill, I wear red and I do not walk out of my home and think am I going to be shot for this. We have to find the solution not demean the loss of a life.
Yes. I am that Vincente was a Norteno. So far, no one on these forums who claims to know him has denied this.

If he isn't a Norteno, it is all the more tragic, then he would have been killed for a shirt. I think he was a casualty in one battle in the war between the Norenos and Surenos.

The solution is to stop the war. It is for the generals in prison to tell their soldiers to stop fighting, dealing, stealing and improve their community for all.
Just sayin

Berkeley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2009

Future wrote:
<quoted text>
The contributions you obviously do not know about, he was a fiance meaning someone loved him. To be loved is a value that he obviously earned from his fiance.
People loved Charles Manson, too. So what?
Future wrote:
<quoted text>
He was working thus paying his own way in life, "a tax paying citizen" member of OUR community deserving of the same respect and liberties that you and I have. As for his clothing we have no idea what his financial circumstances were as to wether he could afford new clothes or were they hand me downs.
Which is it? Do you know he's a tax paying member of society, or do you not know his financial circumstances?(I'm guessing the latter.)
Future wrote:
<quoted text>
He had no weapons and was not the aggressor. We all have to see that gangs are OUR children, somewhere we failed them. Gangs have no racial requirements to join so all races are subject to this community problem.
How do you know he didn't have a weapon?
"Gangs have no racial requirements"??! Would that be the infamous 'Melting Pot Gang'??
If the gangs are 'our children', I vote we give them all a good spanking and send them to their rooms.
jagged edge

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2009

Boulder Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
It would have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Did the cop feel threatened? Therefore did he draw his own weapon? Etc. But for my part, it might be hard to keep from getting angry if challenged by a rude cop.
Cops win everytime whether thery lie or tell the truth. Unless it is video taped-if it comes down to you version or the cops version--straight up cop wins...even when you tell 100% TRUTH and he or she has LIED
fugettaboutit

Trabuco Canyon, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2009

First of all, I want to say I'm so sorry Kaisha had to witness her fiance's murder. I was completely devastated by this news. Second of all, I want to say that all the racist comments are completely unnecessary. If you didn't know him, you need not say anything. Vincent was a great guy, and never deserved to die in such a horrible way. Nobody's perfect, but I know he had the biggest heart anybody could have. I will not sleep right until I know his killers get the maximum sentence. He will be deeply missed by everyone who knew him. Condolences to Terry and Rita. I know this is the hardest thing you could possibly deal with. He is finally in a better place, and I pray to God that he got everything he wanted in life. I hope to see you at the crossroads. And seriously, I just want to say that Vincent deserved more than to just be called a gangster, which he wasn't. And I hope somebody creates an obituary for him with his picture, because there are many people who were affected by him that would want to know. At least I know he was loved and I will never forget him. Godbless you.
Pat Kittle

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2009

slightly salty wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm talking about practical ways of dealing with the actual problems we are facing now on our streets, not the larger political issues at stake that you continually harp on, Pat. I know you are using my posting as fodder for your cause to try to bait me and others into one of your debates but that's all you'll get out of me.
You specifically said:

"Is everything possible being done to increase community awareness of the increasing gang problem and to fight gang violence? I think not."

Well, is getting serious about immigration law enforcement part of "everything possible"? I think so.

Do you understand that? I think not.
slightly salty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2009

Notice that Pat Kittle never addresses the lack of enforcement of laws concerning those who hire undocumented workers. That is not part of his narrow agenda. And also notice that Pat Kittle belittles people with who he takes issue to try to get a rise out of them. Finally, to paraphrase the words of John McCain, apparently Pat Kittle does not understand the difference between tactics and strategy when it comes to addressing the upsurge in gang violence on our streets.
The Stupids

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2009

slightly salty wrote:
Notice that Pat Kittle never addresses the lack of enforcement of laws concerning those who hire undocumented workers.[...]
Actually he does. And interestingly enough, according to the police, many of the gang bangers come in on legal work visas. Then its off to make an anchor baby and your virtually guaranteed residency. Don't be stupid. When all you have to do it knock up a chick to gain entry into the US, something be way broke.
The Stupids

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2009

lucky local lady wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't like to be made out to be a moron, so please don't pick on me because you have nothing better to do. The REAL FACT is that one family will be burying a loved one, while two others will be saying goodbye for a long time. Be thankful you do not have to withstand such hardship.
If we are suppose to believe that dead gang member and girl friend wore their colors just like someone would wear a dodgers tee shirt, then maybe said dead gang cheerleader is a hero for getting 2 more pieces of gang c/rap off the street. Alternatively, 3 pieces of gang c/rap removed from the street. If they had only simply killed each other off completely, there might have been enough coin left over to pave my road.
renesands

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2009

Dr Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, how's that OCD working out for you?
Really Dr. Huh?(I am happy to supply the period that should appear after your abbreviation for "doctor.") Why treat language with due respect, in a newspaper? C U 2nite.
wondering

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2009

i am most impressed about what i don't know about this specific tragedy and the larger social and political issues.

i have questions:

1) are reporters taught in school these days specifically NOT to report crime details? i would like to know more about why the reporting is so vague and generic. i suspect it has most to do with liability concerns, but i would love to read a discourse on this subject.
2) what are the responses of families of gang members who die? it must be expected. do they see that "x" behavior causes "y" result? can a reporter do an indepth report of how families see these incidents?
3) why will the newspaper not educate the public about gang issue? can we get the newspaper to answer this question instead of simply speculating.
4) other

Since: Feb 08

Santa Cruz

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2009

wondering wrote:
i am most impressed about what i don't know about this specific tragedy and the larger social and political issues.
i have questions:
1) are reporters taught in school these days specifically NOT to report crime details? i would like to know more about why the reporting is so vague and generic. i suspect it has most to do with liability concerns, but i would love to read a discourse on this subject.
2) what are the responses of families of gang members who die? it must be expected. do they see that "x" behavior causes "y" result? can a reporter do an indepth report of how families see these incidents?
3) why will the newspaper not educate the public about gang issue? can we get the newspaper to answer this question instead of simply speculating.
4) other
Hey man, it's a "cultural" thang. You wouldn't deny them their culture would you?

Since: Feb 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2009

i seriously do not understand why we cannot have a truthful discussion of this issue. if it is tied to culture, why can that not be discussed? i don't understand that. there are obviously good, law-abiding hispanic people and those not-so-great - like any race. and the truth is that race is not even an issue as humans are not separated by race the way people have been taught all of these years.

but culture is another issue. so if it is a cultural thing, why would there be a taboo against discussing it?

i have an hispanic acquaintance who told me that he won't live in salinas because when he just goes outside, people give him challenging looks ...he said it is beyond ridiculous. he said you can't even look at anybody.

why can't that be talked about?

do gangbanger's families not care if they get shot and killed? if they do care, how could they condone gang life? i mean seriously, where is the earnest young reporter who can give us an indepth look at gang life and all of its social and cultural intricacies.

are there any reporters that are interested in stories? or do they just like the routine
9-5 desk job these days?
Queen Repa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

aka wrote:
what the girlfriend said is in her convenince because moreno was his boyfriend but maybe he was the one to begin the fight in the firs place and throw gang signs to.
no he wasnt iit was dha stupid scraps_
Queen Repa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

okyy first of all kaisha wasnt in dha nortenos she was a sureno_so ii dnt know yy yu quys thinkn she was in dha same qanq as mi cuhz_she wasnt ii saw her hand_i hope dose punks qet life or death row_iif she truly loved him_she wulda done sumiin den standin dere && screamin_iif i was her i wulda died for him_but now hes in a better place_away from all dha drama_i love yu vinny may yu rest in paradise_we love && miss yu cuhz_skrew dha south side_dey ckan all burn in hell_especially dha puthos dat killed him_dey started i not vinny_he shuldnt of died dat way_dose pinche puthos rr qoin to reqret iit_deyy took a lovved one_SSK bixxes_!! I LOVE YU VINNY!
ktaul

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

to all who commented on this you really should not be sayiing anything if you dont know the situation, especially if you were not there. my fiance was murdered and died in my arms for wearing a red 49ers shirt. anywho... no one deserves to die. and um excuse me but the one from sc.. might actually know.. you obviously dont know me.. u may just have HEARD shit. doesnt mean you know me and i have never claimed to be a "perfect little angel" as you so elegantly put it. thanks tata
ktaul

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2012

Don wrote:
<quoted text>
The gang life is the life that Vincente chose. He was a soldier and in uniform. The gangs are at war. Unfortunately for Vincente he was not prepared and lost this battle. His fiancee is collateral damage.
He was not the person who could get through to my child. He was actively involved in the evil that these gangs are. He was obviously happy and proud of his gang affiliation. If Kiasha can love again, maybe she will encourage her next beau to abandon the gang life.
im sorry but did you know him??? were you there? did you see what he was wearing? i dont think so. dont speak on my dead fiance if you dont know what youre speaking about. he was not a gang banger and im tired of everyone making him out to be the papers lie. get your facts right before you judge.
tiffany

Chouteau, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

hey stupid he wasn't even in a gain he had a 49 ers jacket on idiot you cant believe everything you hear on here mind your own business that is my kid that got killed no respect your comments are just as bad get a life

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 81 - 100 of101
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Moss Landing Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Moss Landing Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••