Can a merchant change information on check?

Posted in the Moseley Forum

tonyaszumski773

Houston, TX

#1 Nov 15, 2013
Can a merchant change information on check?I have a large medical bill for a necessary surgery I had to have (20 minute surgery, bill over 10,000). I sent a certified letter asking for a detailed bill showing exactly what the charges were for since all I'd rec'd previously was a statement. They told me they could not give me the info since the acct is no longer held by them. I sent my monthly payment in as usual (I've been sending them $178 a month since the surgery) with the account number written twice on the check. Since it had now been turned over to collections and the acct was no longer at the hospital, I expected to get the check returned to me. When it came thru as being cashed, I was curious as to what they had applied it to. My carbon clearly shows the acct number I wrote on the check... HOWEVER, the hospital added a "1" in the middle of my numbers and deposited it to someone else's account. Is this legal? When I specifiy on the check what account it should be applied to, is it legal for them to change the acct number and deposit it somewhere else and pay someone else's account? Does this constitute check fraud?
araormerod414

Houston, TX

#2 Nov 15, 2013
tonyaszumski773 wrote:
Can a merchant change information on check?I have a large medical bill for a necessary surgery I had to have (20 minute surgery, bill over 10,000). I sent a certified letter asking for a detailed bill showing exactly what the charges were for since all I'd rec'd previously was a statement. They told me they could not give me the info since the acct is no longer held by them. I sent my monthly payment in as usual (I've been sending them $178 a month since the surgery) with the account number written twice on the check. Since it had now been turned over to collections and the acct was no longer at the hospital, I expected to get the check returned to me. When it came thru as being cashed, I was curious as to what they had applied it to. My carbon clearly shows the acct number I wrote on the check... HOWEVER, the hospital added a "1" in the middle of my numbers and deposited it to someone else's account. Is this legal? When I specifiy on the check what account it should be applied to, is it legal for them to change the acct number and deposit it somewhere else and pay someone else's account? Does this constitute check fraud?.
This site can help you finding the best option for you:@www.credit-solutions.info

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Moseley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
need a sexting partner (Nov '13) Dec 7 hornybitch 25
Review: Lofgren Chiropractic Clinic (Feb '14) Nov '14 Wally West 3
Review: Advanced Care Chiropractic and Wellness... (Nov '13) Oct '14 Jake 5
Bricks stolen from historic Rosewell plantation... (May '14) Oct '14 meh 6
Review: Richard S. Vacca, D.D.S. Sep '14 Vaccamidlothianva 1
SOL scores a mixed bag for area schools Aug '14 Rife 1
Expensive accident closes Chesterfield Cracker ... Aug '14 Vicki 1
Moseley Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web