Whatever Happened To: Sylvia Seegrist

Full story: WCAU-TV Bala Cynwyd

Just over 20 years ago, Sylvia Seegrist went on a wild shooting rampage at a local mall.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 59 of59
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
ReaderGirl

Lansdowne, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

I clearly remember the day Sylvia Seegrist went on a shooting rampage at Springield Mall. It was 2 months before I was to be married. I received a phone call from my nother saying that my uncle was shot. He didn't die at the time, but lingered in a coma for about 4 months, then passed away. He, too, was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Prior to the shooting in July, my 21 year old brother died in a tragic drowning accident. It got to the point where my familty was afraid to answer the phone. Needless to say, I do not shop at Springfield Mall.
ccg

Vineland, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

I was there the day of the shootings...just a teenager out shoe shopping with my mom. My story is too long to tell. I'll just say that we had a close brush and it took a long time to recover emotionally.
Seegrist is no stock broker. Where do people come up with these things? She's in a correctional facility for life up in Muncy, PA.
truth_hurts

Groton, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2010

Jen wrote:
<quoted text>
I just saw a story about her on TRU TV. She wasn't given inadequate health care. She was treated, but like so many schizophrenics, she opted not to take her meds. How can you force someone? We could tie her down and shove them down her throat...but then again, this isn't nazi Germany...yet, might be coming soon, though. As soon as January 20.
You sound like SUCH a complete douche bag!
Sad Truth

Cheltenham, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Judged:

I was incarcerated 20 years ago (I was released 17 years ago) and came to know Sylvia rather well when I was there. I asked her, one day, why she did it. She said she was just so tired. I believe that was truly the crux of the situation. Sylvia was, and undoubtedly still is, a very sick woman. During the 3 years I knew her, she was relegated to the "mental health" unit of the prison on countless occasions. Also during those three years, there were 2 suicides in that unit. Inmates in that unit weren't medicated and treated. They were drugged on huge doses of thorazine (bet you didn't know that drug still existed). I'm not defending Sylvia or what she did. I am saying that it is absolutely true that what happened could have been prevented if Sylvia had been treated properly for the disease from which she has suffered almost all of her life, as well as the abuse she suffered in her youth. What Sylvia did was horrific but what Sylvia has suffered is also.
Also A Neighbor

King Of Prussia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2011

Judged:

I grew up down the street from Sylvia, though she was 12 years my elder. I still remember her marching up & down the street with a rifle over her shoulder & my mother calling me into the house when I was young & doing that. Ms. Seegrist is a very disturbed individual & as others have said, refused to take her medication. My mother & Sylvia's were friends & after I was old enough to understand, most of this was told to me: She would be institutionalized for 30 days & released - on her meds, which she was forced to take during her commitments, she was fine. Once released, she stopped & lapsed into her delusions, saying that children & the elderly were "useless" ... And I was also told that her mother begged the state, on several occasions, to help - saying her daughter was going to either hurt herself or others ... But, the state laws at the time only allowed 30 days of involuntary commitment. Again, on her meds, she was fine & the institutions had no choice but to allow her to sign herself out. I too almost went to the mall that day ... And with the shootings in Arizona this weekend, it only serves to remind me that those with mental illness need better treatment & states need more power to prevent foreseeable tragedies like this. When an individual is clearly a threat to him/herself or others, more drastic measures need to be taken ... While I do believe in an individual's rights, if you knew someone was capable of & committed to murdering people ... Wouldn't you want them stopped?
DixR4Chix

Reading, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2011

Judged:

The one Sylvia works at the Walmart in Wilmington, the other was arrested for prostution , sentenced to a firing squad then sent to a POW camp.
Crazy to remember

Bradenton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2011

I remember the day clearly, I was working at my first job, a dishwasher in the Bamberger's Restaurant. Sylvia spent quite a bit of time walking the SEPTA trolly tracks. She could be seen walking alone on the tracks having a full blown conversation with herself anywhere from the Springfield Mall and the park next to it all the way down to the 69th. street terminal. As a child friends and I just referred to her as the crazy bitch and would often throw rocks at her from the woods we would be having parties in, hind site is 20/20, would have been nicer if I only new. She wound up killing the doctor that delivered my sister and friend. At the time and my age, the true horror of the event never really set in, it was just a relief to get out of work early. I'm not sure if being that care free is such a bad trait to have these days.
Tim Welch

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2011

She almost shot me at the mall that day and I almost apprehended her. I wish I had. I am grateful to be alive. I walked out the way she walked in. It was really sad. This could have been prevented as I am sure many other shootings could have been.
motheroflostchil d

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2011

god what is wrong with all you so UNcompassionate people? And how is it that mental illness has been SO misrepresented?
me too wrote:
You are more nuts than she is. I hope they keep her locked up in a nice warm and safe room for a long time.
<quoted text>
mmm

Junction City, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2012

that sucks wrote:
I hear she works in Manhattan as a stock broker
She is still in prison.
jus a slap on da wrist

Media, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2012

Judged:

mental health issues?!?!?!?

If she was a guy she would be sitting on death row. PA & America as a whole is too relaxed when it comes to female murderers !!!
in the know

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2012

Been there done that wrote:
I knew one of the guys who disarmed her. He failed the State police test before that and after that incident with Sylvia he all of a sudden became a State cop.......
He is now a very high ranking state police trooper
Jess

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2012

Judged:

SeanK wrote:
<quoted text>WHO?!?!?!?!?! Try asking in an Indiana thread. They might know what the hell you're talking about out there. Also, 1965?!?!?!?!? That was three years before I was born, for Christ's sake!
You never heard of that crime ? I have and I'm 21
tut

Lenni, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2012

Judged:

alls i know is the dweeb who disarmed her should have kicked the shit out of het while waiting for the cops to get there. she shot a dear little boy, he spent his last moments of life have his dear little heart messaged by emergency room doctor trying to save his life. what a shame. i wish i was there i would have stoped the shit out of her.....

“Don't Hate Me 'Cause I'm Right”

Since: Dec 08

Upper Darby

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2012

Jess wrote:
<quoted text>
You never heard of that crime ? I have and I'm 21
But AGAIN: It has NOTHING to do with THIS topic. Start your own thread about it if you're so goddamned interested in it.
Sam

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

One Who Knows wrote:
She's currently residing in upstate Pennsylvania in a Department of Corrections resort at the taxpayers expense. Since we're paying for her upkeep anyway, funding would have been better spent by providing adequate mental health services for her and other individuals. Additionally, laws should be reviewed to give families more leverage in accessing the mental health system for those needing help. While it is understandable that the rights of the patient must be protected, family members are often left to sort out situations gone awry when trying to help. The same professionals whom are paid to investigate whenever incidents occur should concentrate on advocacy of the patient in the aftermath. Mental health courts are not on hand to see the hell that family members experience at the hands of a mentally ill individual. We may not want to remember her but there are so many others out there just like her who are walking time bombs. If we do remember her, it should motivate us all to make our elected officials and mental health professionals create a seamless system that promotes dignity, respect and adequate care that would prevent tragedies like the Springfield Mall debacle.
Good Afternoon,
I am a sju student in the criminal justice program. I am doing my final project on Sylvia Seegrist and I seen this post during my research. I can see that you knew Sylvia and I was wondering if you will be willing to share her story with me. I have been unable to locate her mother or anyone else who have personal knowledge of her and her case. You can email me sb457738@sju.edu
Adam

Lawrenceville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

She should be let out and run for political office,
Wild one

Rocky Point, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

voltaire wrote:
Sylvia is incarcerated. You can search on Google to answer your question; the Court TV Web site has an extensive story about her. She lived across the street from me and was was a very sad person--sexually and physically abused as a child, diagnosed with schizophrenia as a teen, and then permitted to "slip through the cracks" over and over, despite frightening behavior (some of which I witnessed) and many threats. Sad to say, the night she committed the mayhem at the Springfield Mall, I was supposed to meet a friend at the Magic Pan for dinner. We had a weekly dinner date there. For some reason he didn't want to go that night, and he couldn't articulated it, so we stayed home at his place...and whatever we were watching on TV was soon interrupted for a special news bulletin. We sat on the sofa holding hands, absolutely stunned. We would have been among the injured or dead: she shot right through the plate glass window where we usually sat in the cocktail lounge. We didn't feel afraid, just very very sad. And lucky that my friend had such good intuition.
seems like there is always someone who "should have been dead" every time a blog on a serial killer or mass murderer comes out....you,re all bullshitters
james dean

Emmaus, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Hopefully she drops dead as soon as possible this picce of crap killed ab2"year old baby she should bebsetbon fire that's whatvshouldbhappen

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 59 of59
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Morton Discussions

Search the Morton Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 2 hr Incompetent Obama 51,103
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 2 hr Community Organizer Skill 3,745
Aldan cops May '14 Jake pooper 2
Stand-up comedian John Pinette found dead in Pi... Apr '14 You here Four Hour 1
Prospect Police Mar '14 bystander 1
anybody know robert futty (Nov '11) Mar '14 In the Know 8
Hillel, a safe haven for Israel supporters Mar '14 Brit Expat 3
•••
•••

Morton News Video

•••
•••

Morton Jobs

•••